As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Keep in mind a lot of people just now got Switches because of the pandemic. I'd be down for a game night of some sort, if you put up a sign up sheet.

I'd do my best too, time zones permitting. In the F1 thread in D&D, we wanted to do something but time zones were a problem, so we do time trials in the game and compare times. It's not the same as having actual multiplayer sessions, obviously, but it's still fun.

I just started my Switch Online free trial, and ordered a physical Tetris 99 with 12 months code included, because it's the same price as 12 months on its own and physical Tetris 99 includes the otherwise paid DLC so I can play that single-player. So basically £9 of free DLC if I can wrangle a cart. Not hard.

If Nintendo ever add GBA games to SO, and Metroid Zero Mission is part of it, I'll be laughing. (Hey, I can dream. Even if Nintendo continue to be baffling in this regard.) Super Metroid will tide me over for the moment!

Jazz on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Keep in mind a lot of people just now got Switches because of the pandemic. I'd be down for a game night of some sort, if you put up a sign up sheet.

I'd do my best too, time zones permitting. In the F1 thread in D&D, we wanted to do something but time zones were a problem, so we do time trials in the game and compare times. It's not the same as having actual multiplayer sessions, obviously, but it's still fun.

I just started my Switch Online free trial, and ordered a physical Tetris 99 with 12 months code included, because it's the same price as 12 months on its own and physical Tetris 99 includes the otherwise paid DLC so I can play that single-player. So basically £9 of free DLC if I can wrangle a cart. Not hard.

If Nintendo ever add GBA games to SO, and Metroid Zero Mission is part of it, I'll be laughing. (Hey, I can dream. Even if Nintendo continue to be baffling in this regard.) Super Metroid will tide me over for the moment!

I sent my mom my Nintendo Switch to keep her sane during the pandemic.

She took up day trading instead :(

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »

:sad:

• Options
    1. Get a Switch.
    2. Play Super Metroid on it.
    3. Look guiltily at 3DS and SNES Classic that can do this too.
    4. ???
    5. Nintendo profits.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Ah, playing the stalk market?

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I think its part of a greater symptom. As a whole, Switch owners just don't think it's worth it to go through the efforts of finding others to play with online on a regular basis. Whether that be because of Nintendo's obtuse online components or their own perception of them, its simply the state of things (random matchmaking notwithstanding). Outside of places like reddit matchmaking communities (which to me is no diff than the random matchmaking that the various games provide) it's simply not a thing that the majority of Switch owners are interested in participating in. Which is odd because playing with friends seems to be one of the core tenets of the Switch console in the first place.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I just never have time in my schedule for multiplayer. That and since I don't play as much I'm not going to be competitive.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    That NBA 2K20 sale is certainly eye-catching. Even for someone with no interest in basketball.

Sadly the NBA 2K series is largely a microtransaction factory in its last several installments. The core gameplay/simulation is great, but the trappings surrounding it get worse and worse every year. If it's on a deep sale, it's prooobably to get you hooked and buying tons of virtual currency.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    That NBA 2K20 sale is certainly eye-catching. Even for someone with no interest in basketball.

It's the largest installed Switch game at 32.9 gigs, and has a 5 gigabyte save file. This single game not only can't even fit on the internal storage, but it takes up a required 15% of all the space you have for saves on the Switch.

EDIT: Apparently it's worse than this. If you have the physical version of the game, it also requires 30+ gigabytes of mandatory downloads and updates. Six months ago this person said their physical copy had over 36 gigs of extra data on the SD card. So presumably if you buy the game digitally, you could be up over 64 gigs.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    So, I hope it was a good choice, picked up Wonderful 101 without knowing much about it other that it's recommended and the launch video looked keen. Did... did they release a day 1 patch or something on purpose? It, like, JUST came out, and it's version 1.0.1. I WANT to think that's intentional, as a dad and maker of puns myself.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

It's the largest installed Switch game at 32.9 gigs, and has a 5 gigabyte save file. This single game not only can't even fit on the internal storage, but it takes up a required 15% of all the space you have for saves on the Switch.

EDIT: Apparently it's worse than this. If you have the physical version of the game, it also requires 30+ gigabytes of mandatory downloads and updates. Six months ago this person said their physical copy had over 36 gigs of extra data on the SD card. So presumably if you buy the game digitally, you could be up over 64 gigs.

isn't it a bad version, too? Or am I misremembering?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

I don't know, I haven't played it. Reviews online generally say that it's a very good looking game even on Switch and is not compromised at all like you used to see on Nintendo platforms in the Wii and Wii U era...meaning, story mode stripped out, things like that. It's the full game. Reviews even say that they reduced the need to pay microtransactions compared to previous games, you can earn what you need by playing for a few weeks.

However, the biggest drawback on Switch is apparently very long load times. Plus the aforementioned space issue (no game should need a 5 gig save file, there is no justification), and being microtransaction-laden.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

I wasn't going to buy it anyway, even at that price, but holy shit.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

I know that the last WWE game they released was shit. Not sure about NBA though.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Hey guys, Ni No Kuni is, like, SO pretty on Switch.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Looks like you're going to need a lot of space when the 2K collections are released, even for the physical copies.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/361708-borderlands-legendary-collection-physical-release-requires-a-dow
    According to 2K's own store, the physical version of Borderlands: Legendary Collection requires a download of at least 42 GB, Bioshock: The Collection requires 31 GB, and XCOM 2 Collection requires 24 GB. In other words, you're definitely going to need a microSD card for these retail releases. Better make sure you grab one along with these purchases!

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Looks like you're going to need a lot of space when the 2K collections are released, even for the physical copies.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/361708-borderlands-legendary-collection-physical-release-requires-a-dow
    According to 2K's own store, the physical version of Borderlands: Legendary Collection requires a download of at least 42 GB, Bioshock: The Collection requires 31 GB, and XCOM 2 Collection requires 24 GB. In other words, you're definitely going to need a microSD card for these retail releases. Better make sure you grab one along with these purchases!

So I'll be good once the 512gb cards come down in price. Le sigh

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Wonderful 101 is out? I didn't even realize. I completely missed it last gen.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Bleed complete bundle (Bleed & Bleed 2) is 84% off. Those games are a riot.

(Batsignal for @Pixelated Pixie , platform notwithstanding :) )

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I've finished Wonderful 101 and yeah it's a ton of fun. It's pure Platinum which is never a bad thing. But fair warning, even for a Platinum game, it's a steep learning curve. Got through about half the game before I figured things out enough to get through levels without abusing continues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHbPXNJvVE&list=PLrwWQGfD4d7H_r3hkL6xsJRbQK_R5Du0y
    Should help if things are a bit confusing. (Playlist)

Also, tips from me.
    Don't craft/mix anything but the Wonder credit card. (30 of each of the 3 craft items). This can be traded for any purchasable item. So use that to get the expensive upgrades and you can put some spare cash into stocking up on healing items instead. I think I managed to craft 3 just playing through the game normally without seeking them out.

Ukemi is huge and probably the first thing to get with a credit card. But the description lies/is vague. When knocked back by an attack hit jump right before your leader its the ground and they'll do a flip and the damage should be negated.

Road Block on
  • Options
    Tetris 99 in Marathon 999 mode doesn't accelerate as fast as old Tetris used to. Which led to a 58-minute game scoring 420 (heh) lines. My poor thumbs...

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I need to invest in some kind of stand for my cases but i can't seem to find one designed to hold more then 5-6 switch cases.

• Options
    Oh hell no Wonderful 101, my Switch Lite's screen is a NO TOUCH ZONE

NO TOUCH ZONE

THEY KNOOOOW BETTER.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have suggestions for screen protectors and maybe cases? We haven't had a chance to travel with the switch yet. I'm not sure how much it'll happen once travel again occurs.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

NO TOUCH ZONE

THEY KNOOOOW BETTER.

yeah unfortunately why i haven't gotten much play time on TWEWY I don't really want to deal with the repercussions of rubbing all on my switch

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Brody wrote: »
    Does anyone have suggestions for screen protectors and maybe cases? We haven't had a chance to travel with the switch yet. I'm not sure how much it'll happen once travel again occurs.

For the OG or the Lite?

For the OG use a Hybrid Cover:

https://www.amazon.com/PowerA-Hybrid-Cover-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01N22YBVY

For the lite use the flip cover:

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Lite-Cover-Screen-Protector/dp/B081PFZHG9

That will get you started. Spawnwave has a pretty good review of the flip cover:

https://youtu.be/dpYIJ0UO9dI

As for a more permanent case for storage and travel you've got a bazillion different options. I personally use the Switch Lite Slip Case from Waterfield but that is on the absolute high end of things. If you combine them with the two flip covers above you don't need much more protection. Something like a cloth quick pouch from keys factory would do the trick. Really it depends on what you want to carry around with you

Edit: if you do want the creme de la creme though, Waterfield makes the absolute best cases in the business, they're all hand-made to order:

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/cases-for-nintendo-switch

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I wish they had some kind of premium family plan that allowed me to share my games with my wife and son. I'd gladly pay a bit more each year for us to have a true shared library.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

NO TOUCH ZONE

THEY KNOOOOW BETTER.

I seem to recall Kamiya stating at some point that the R stick is the preferred input, that you can think of the Wonder Liner as fighting game inputs.

(Though admittedly, I do like drawing on the screen for the cutscenes!)

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    How do you avoid rubbing all over your switch, though?

With such a dynamic personality, I find it hard to resist.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Wonderful 101 is out? I didn't even realize. I completely missed it last gen.

Funny you should say that, I was going to post "anyone playing Wonderful 101 apart from me and Costanza?"

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Okay, a spot of Googling reveals this has been an issue since the Switch launched, but I have yet to find a solution - any tips for dealing with appalling wifi speeds and, related, constantly buffering video on trailers in the eShop? I have 80Mbps down & 20Mbps up, my Xbox One X (set up next to my Switch) is presently reporting 73.68 and 16.90 on a test, so close enough, and my Switch is never getting out of single digits and, sometimes, is actually reporting in kbps because it's so slow - its last test was 3.4Mbps down, 215.9kbps up. And that down speed often tests significantly lower. What gives?

(Just ran it again and scored 31.4kbps - yes, k - down, and 1,013kbps up. That's in dial-up territory!)

Jazz on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Okay, a spot of Googling reveals this has been an issue since the Switch launched, but I have yet to find a solution - any tips for dealing with appalling wifi speeds and, related, constantly buffering video on trailers in the eShop? I have 80Mbps down & 20Mbps up, my Xbox One X (set up next to my Switch) is presently reporting 73.68 and 16.90 on a test, so close enough, and my Switch is never getting out of single digits and, sometimes, is actually reporting in kbps because it's so slow - its last test was 3.4Mbps down, 215.9kbps up. And that down speed often tests significantly lower. What gives?

(Just ran it again and scored 31.4kbps - yes, k - down, and 1,013kbps up. That's in dial-up territory!)

Powering down fully and then back on usually fixes it for me.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I find the Switch downloads much faster than my PS4. But if you get any weird issues with your console it's best to reboot it and try again.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020

skeldare wrote: »

I know that the last WWE game they released was shit. Not sure about NBA though.

The last one for Switch, or the last one in the series?

Actually, come to think of it, that really applies to both.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Powering down fully and then back on usually fixes it for me.
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I find the Switch downloads much faster than my PS4. But if you get any weird issues with your console it's best to reboot it and try again.

Of course! :lol:

4etneiq3sgxg.jpg

The perennial fix.

60Mbps and 13.7Mbps now, much better. Haven't gone trailer-watching again yet but that's a good start. Cheers guys :)

Jazz on
  • Options
    It's odd how it can be game dependent too. Splatoon has always worked fine. Smash has not. Mario Kart mostly.

I've heard there are specific fighting game network stacks though, so that could be, as well as it being more timing dependent than the others.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Why is it odd that some games have far more tolerant netcode than others.

Smash like most fighters insists on syncing every active frame. You will see every and any hiccup in the network transmission. Splat and Kart do not and let players move around fairly freely and try to resolve the details afterward, as is standard in every FPS game.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Back to single digits again, including after another reboot.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Why is it odd that some games have far more tolerant netcode than others.

Smash like most fighters insists on syncing every active frame. You will see every and any hiccup in the network transmission. Splat and Kart do not and let players move around fairly freely and try to resolve the details afterward, as is standard in every FPS game.

Fighting games are frame-by-frame dependent, so it's more demanding than something like Mario Kart that can just catch up for the most part without you really noticing.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Though honestly, after having taken a course in computer networking, it's all magic. The fact any of these things can communicate to each other in any meaningful way in the milliseconds they do is utterly magic.

4dm3dwuxq302.png