As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] Peace For Sale

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, this isn’t just words in a book, there are fucking recordings of this shit!

Please tell me there are recordings of Kushner saying "The most dangerous people around the president are overconfident idiots"

That might make reality buckle beneath the sheer weight of that level of irony.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Is there a word for utterly horrified and totally unsurprised at the same time?

I think it's "2020," which, admittedly, a number and not a word.

2020 is fast becoming the numerical equivalent of Fuck. Usable at any and all times for any and all expressions.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

It's not classified if it's made up.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Trump making it up would be the best case scenario. Cause god forbid it’s true we really are developing new nuclear weapon technology and this is how the world finds out.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Trump making it up would be the best case scenario. Cause god forbid it’s true we really are developing new nuclear weapon technology and this is how the world finds out.

I'm sure Trump already told Putin.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

I assume Russia and China already know about it, but confirmation that it exists is always appreciated by our adversaries.

Edit:
    Going to assume the low yield warhead

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

I'm sure Trump already told Putin.

Or Putin’s intelligence network found out about it based on the numerous bugs they planted during the 2017 visit.

• Options
    If it’s true, I certainly expect other nations to know about it at the intelligence and executive levels. By “world” I meant the general population finding out this way could potentially cause reactionary policies due to public pressure even if it’s ultimately a nothing burger.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    How much info do you think he gave North Korea?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/us/politics/trump-generals-attacks.html
    And in a discussion with Mr. Woodward, Mr. Trump called the United States military “suckers” for paying extensive costs to protect South Korea.

“We’re defending you, we’re allowing you to exist,” Mr. Trump said of South Korea, to a stunned Mr. Woodward.
    Mr. Trump provided Mr. Woodward with the details of letters between himself and the North Korean dictator, Kim Jong-un, in which the two men are fawning toward one another. Mr. Kim wrote in one letter that their relationship was like a “fantasy film.”

Describing their chemistry to Mr. Woodward, Mr. Trump said, “You meet a woman. In one second, you know whether or not it’s going to happen. It doesn’t take you 10 minutes and it doesn’t take you six weeks. It’s like, whoa. OK. You know? It takes somewhat less than a second.”

Couscous on
  • Options
    Ah yes, the power of love at first sight in the face of foreign policy with dictators.

I guess his masterful intuition is why he’s been married three times and wants to fuck his daughter.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited September 2020

Unless he had just come from a briefing, Trump knowing anything material about our nuclear capabilities seems pretty unlikely, let alone anything on this open source website:
    https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/USNuclearModernization

As to whether there could be anything new in our bag of tricks, let alone something he's aware of, the contract award to develop the next ICBM was announced, literally, yesterday. By the time it likely enters service, neither of the current presidential candidates will be able to tell you what color the building at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave is.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Trump reflected on his relationships with authoritarian leaders generally, including Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. “It’s funny, the relationships I have, the tougher and meaner they are, the better I get along with them,” he told Woodward. “You know? Explain that to me someday, okay?”

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Trump reflected on his relationships with authoritarian leaders generally, including Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. “It’s funny, the relationships I have, the tougher and meaner they are, the better I get along with them,” he told Woodward. “You know? Explain that to me someday, okay?”

"I can only have dysfunctional abusive relationships, because I'm a sociopath and can't care about anything but myself. Either I'm bullied, or the bully. My entire life is a joyless experience."

There. Explained.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    TBH that faint glimmer of self-awareness is more than I thought him capable of.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    TBH that faint glimmer of self-awareness is more than I thought him capable of.

It's a brag because he intends it to mean he's a tough customer. 'Probably the toughest.'

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

"It's called star wars 2.0 and its absolutely unbelievable"

Look at Reagan, look at Trump, look at Regan again. Based on what we know about his capacity at the time, do you think Reagan knew star wars was a fake?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Yeah this reads to me as him just trying to generically brag

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Edit never,mind adressed

Prohass on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I know its been a tense time for all of us, but we can all relax now. Kim Jong Un, is okay.

President Trump: Kim Jong Un is in good health. Never underestimate him!

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I assume we're in the process of developing new weapons of all kinds at all times. Of course we're coming up with new nuclear weapons, why would that surprise anyone?

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I know its been a tense time for all of us, but we can all relax now. Kim Jong Un, is okay.

The day after the Woodward revelations about him fawning over Un, this is what he chooses to tweet?

I hate this fucker and I hate all the dumb fuckers who are still going to vote for him in less than two months.

• Options
    Trump: friends with all our enemies, enemies with all our friends.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    My personal favorite part of all of this is that his grasp of reality is so tangential that he doesn't get that military alliances aren't about being fiscally sound, they're about sharing resources in order to keep enemies at bay; the 10 billion that the US spends on it's alliances means those nations are practicing american doctrine, likely utilizing american equipment, providing forward bases for force projection, additional supply lines and intelligence assets to say nothing of the diplomatic influence the US exerts over these nations.

Frankly, 10 billion (which is statistically insignifigant in a nation with a 20.54 trillion GDP) is a god damn bargin considering how trying to maintain all of that without military allies would cost probably 4 or 5 times that amount in logistics without factoring in the effects on international trade without an american hegemony.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Trump: friends with all our enemies, enemies with all our friends.

Oh, that's easy to explain. The EU is leaded by a woman, hence Trump will never accept it as an equal.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    My personal favorite part of all of this is that his grasp of reality is so tangential that he doesn't get that military alliances aren't about being fiscally sound, they're about sharing resources in order to keep enemies at bay;

Well, he's certainly running the country like a business. "This department isn't making any money? How can we make it profitable?"

• Options

Sooo.... Kim Jong Un is dead. Or at the least, gravely ill.

Cause this fucker could say the sky is blue, and I'd want to check to see for myself. Well, as long as I'm not in California at the moment. That shit's terrifying.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    My personal favorite part of all of this is that his grasp of reality is so tangential that he doesn't get that military alliances aren't about being fiscally sound, they're about sharing resources in order to keep enemies at bay;

Well, he's certainly running the country like a business. "This department isn't making any money? How can we make it profitable?"

Which is why the country is currently the envy of no one.

• Options
    Trump wants to run the country like a business that has been taken over by insane management consultants and is trying to make the HR and janitorial departments profitable.

• Options
    Trump wants to run the country like a business that has been taken over by insane management consultants and is trying to make the HR and janitorial departments profitable.

Really, Trump is running the country more like a new player to Crusader kings 2 and doesn't understand that things happen over an extremely long period of time and that every decision you make has a cost, thus obliterating any sort of stability or resources you have by pissing off all your vassals and wasting all your money while antagonizing all of your neighbors.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

Sooo.... Kim Jong Un is dead. Or at the least, gravely ill.

Cause this fucker could say the sky is blue, and I'd want to check to see for myself. Well, as long as I'm not in California at the moment. That shit's terrifying.

Yes, never a Slayer around to control the Hellmouth when you need one.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I assume we're in the process of developing new weapons of all kinds at all times. Of course we're coming up with new nuclear weapons, why would that surprise anyone?

Announcing you are violating treaties to a reporter writing a book about you is not always the best idea.

• Options
    There is only the next stupid thing.
    President Donald Trump bragged that he protected Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman after the assassination and dismembering of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi."I saved his a--," Trump said amid the US outcry over Khashoggi's killing, according to Bob Woodward's new book. "I was able to get Congress to leave him alone. I was able to get them to stop." The president also told Woodward he doesn't believe MBS ordered Khashoggi's murder, despite the fact that the US and other foreign intelligence services concluded he personally ordered the attack.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    President Donald Trump bragged that he protected Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman after the assassination and dismembering of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi."I saved his a--," Trump said amid the US outcry over Khashoggi's killing, according to Bob Woodward's new book. "I was able to get Congress to leave him alone. I was able to get them to stop." The president also told Woodward he doesn't believe MBS ordered Khashoggi's murder, despite the fact that the US and other foreign intelligence services concluded he personally ordered the attack.
    Trump added that Saudi Arabia spends billions of dollars on US products. He also stressed MBS's claim of innocence, despite the fact that US intelligence and other foreign intelligence agencies have concluded otherwise.
    "He will always say that he didn't do it," Trump said of MBS. "He says that to everybody, and frankly I'm happy that he says that. But he will say that to you, he will say that to Congress, and he will say that to everybody. He's never said he did it."

"Do you believe that he did it?" Woodward asked.

"No, he says that he didn't do it," Trump replied.

"I know, but do you really believe —" Woodward began before Trump cut him off.

"He says very strongly that he didn't do it. Bob, they spent $400 billion over a fairly short period of time," the president said. "And you know, they're in the Middle East. You know, they're big. Because of their religious monuments, you know, they have the real power. They have the oil, but they also have the great monuments for religion. You know that, right? For that religion."

"They wouldn't last a week if we're not there, and they know it," he added.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trump added that Saudi Arabia spends billions of dollars on US products. He also stressed MBS's claim of innocence, despite the fact that US intelligence and other foreign intelligence agencies have concluded otherwise.
    "He will always say that he didn't do it," Trump said of MBS. "He says that to everybody, and frankly I'm happy that he says that. But he will say that to you, he will say that to Congress, and he will say that to everybody. He's never said he did it."

"Do you believe that he did it?" Woodward asked.

"No, he says that he didn't do it," Trump replied.

"I know, but do you really believe —" Woodward began before Trump cut him off.

"He says very strongly that he didn't do it. Bob, they spent $400 billion over a fairly short period of time," the president said. "And you know, they're in the Middle East. You know, they're big. Because of their religious monuments, you know, they have the real power. They have the oil, but they also have the great monuments for religion. You know that, right? For that religion."

"They wouldn't last a week if we're not there, and they know it," he added.

Sometimes it does shock me not that he's such an unmitigated scumbag, but that he just can't help from broadcasting it.

Essentially "MBS didn't do it because he spent almost half a billion dollars."

The fucking logic pathways in his brain are just... it's insanity. And I don't mean that hyperbolically.

• Options
    "They wouldn't last a week if we're not there, and they know it," is not something that should be said when defending not punishing them. If that were true, we should be able to force them to do something about their terrible shit!

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    If Trump were more competent I'd read it more as I'll turn a blind eye to dismembering an American journalist (because really who hasnt wanted to dismember an American journalist) and they'll owe us one and since they need us they'll owe us big.

But I dont think Trump made it past they spent 400 Billion (I like money!) and MBS said he didnt do it therefore of course he didnt do it (because Trump wouldnt shut the fuck up about it if he did it so obviously someone denying they did it means they didnt do it).

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    If Trump were more competent I'd read it more as I'll turn a blind eye to dismembering an American journalist (because really who hasnt wanted to dismember an American journalist) and they'll owe us one and since they need us they'll owe us big.

But I dont think Trump made it past they spent 400 Billion (I like money!) and MBS said he didnt do it therefore of course he didnt do it (because Trump wouldnt shut the fuck up about it if he did it so obviously someone denying they did it means they didnt do it).

It's likely even more basic then that, since MBS is a business partner of Jared.

• Options
    Business Partner, Blackmailer.

Potato, Patreason.

• Options
    I was trying to chase down the origin of this '400 billion' figure and tripped over the USD - SAR exchange rate.

I am now choosing to believe he has simply started to refer to that 110 billion (over ten years, maybe) dollar arms deal in riyal (~412 billion riyal).

It seems like the most honest possibility.

This discussion has been closed.