As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Coronavirus] Thread - SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Australia has just had a case with no known contact with any of our current cases.

Fantastic.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    twitter quote broke

US has about 60 patients according to WHO, probably 15 need critical care and 1 is in bad shape?

Tumin on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Tax cuts and interest rate cuts are clearly meant to just boost the stock market and not at all help anyone with the virus.
    I dunno man. I expect all those people who survive the inevitable pandemic will enjoy their reduced tax load.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Tax cuts and interest rate cuts are clearly meant to just boost the stock market and not at all help anyone with the virus.
    I dunno man. I expect all those people who survive the inevitable pandemic will enjoy their reduced tax load.

"You know millions are dead but look at these tax savings."

Ignoring of course a tax cut would have to get through a hostile house that hopefully would tell the admin to go fuck themselves.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    And the high likelihood any "Tax cuts" are unlikely to benefit the average American regardless.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    The first case of community spread in the US originated about an hour north of me.

The second case of community spread in the US originated about an hour south of me.

Panic helps no one, and I can't do much beyond practice good hygiene and isolate to the extent that my job will allow.

But I'll be honest, friends, I'm getting a bit worried. Particularly for my parents.

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The first case of community spread in the US originated about an hour north of me.

The second case of community spread in the US originated about an hour south of me.

Panic helps no one, and I can't do much beyond practice good hygiene and isolate to the extent that my job will allow.

But I'll be honest, friends, I'm getting a bit worried. Particularly for my parents.

Stay healthy!

I was supposed to travel to San Francisco next week, but my company canceled and it was a huge relief. Coronavirus aside, I know several people who got their ass kicked by the flu this year, and I don't want to go dredging airports for germs just for some work stuff that could be handled remotely.

If it's any consolation, it seems like it's only a matter of time before it's everywhere, so being at the epicenter you're probably not worse off than anyone else...?

Taximes on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Wow!

Like a monkey typing away into infinity, Trump almost stumbled upon some actual wisdom!

It’s not the “unknown” that is affecting the economy, which is made of people, but uncertainty. People know the cause, it’s a virus and the implications that brings, they’re just concerned about what happens next. The economy is a reflection of that.

Unfortunately for the moneys, just because they managed to chain together a couple of real words in a row, I am not impressed.

It’s like someone tried to explain how the economy works and why a pandemic would interrupt it, and all he took from it was a bastardized version of the word “uncertainty” and filtered it through his lizard brain into something he could comprehend.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I wonder what trumps tune would be if he or a family member got it.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    RickRude wrote: »
    I wonder what trumps tune would be if he or a family member got it.

Conspiracy theories, and then some more conspiracy theories.

Taximes on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Just practice good hygiene. Remember most people have a bad cold/flu like symptoms.

Also don't panic. Stress is bad for the immune system.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Just practice good hygiene. Remember most people have a bad cold/flu like symptoms.

Also don't panic. Stress is bad for the immune system.

I think my wife made herself sick by worrying about getting sick. >_> So now she's worried she actually has coronavirus *sigh*

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Thanks all. I do appreciate the good advice and concern. I promise I'll keep reasonable and safe as I can. I've already laid in provisions in the event I need them, so I I'm able to convince myself to feel at least a little better! Hope you all stay safe, too.

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Genuine question: would you travel (from NYC) to Seoul in the next couple of months? My grandmother is 94 years old and I haven't seen her in years, and this upcoming couple of months is the most personal time I'll have. I feel a strong familial responsibility to see her, but the CDC obviously advises against nonessential travel to SK ATM. Would this be foolhardy?

@Eddy

I'll answer as someone who is living in SK right now, even though I think you've already gotten some answers.

You should be fine, honestly. Something like 80%+ of the cases are nowhere near Seoul. I currently live in the province that surrounds Seoul (though about 40 minutes south) and we have *very few cases* here comparative to all of the cases in the country. My province has 72 and Seoul itself only has 62. On top of that, the airport you would land in to come here is Incheon International and Incheon itself only has 4 cases.

These numbers will likely change, of course, but you're simply not in any real danger in the areas that you'll be traveling through.

Take basic precautions: Wear a mask. Keep hand sanitizer on you. Wear gloves on public transit and/or clean your hands immediately after getting off of transit. Stay out of large groups when possible. If you go shopping, also wear gloves. Be as protective of yourself as possible, especially since you'll be around someone who is very advanced in age. You're not just protecting yourself, you're protecting her.

Go, but be safe. You'll regret not going, I think.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Daniel Dale is a CNN who has somehow not gone insane from covering Trump.

Thread:
    Trump invokes the Russia stuff, impeachment, and then says, appearing to refer to their criticism of his handling of the coronavirus, "This is their new hoax." (He doesn't make clear that he's not calling the virus scare itself a hoax.)
    Trump has returned to the coronavirus from how Parasite shouldn't have been Best Picture. He says "we are magnificently organized" for the virus, "totally ready."

Trump: "This does show you. Things happen. Who ever thought of this? Two weeks ago, who would have thought this could be going on? For weeks ago? But things happen in life."

This is standard Rally Trump except it's about the novel coronavirus.

Trump: "Border security is also health security." He boasts about the wall, then says he'll do everything he can to keep people carrying "the infection" from entering the country. (We know of no cases in which someone has walked over from Mexico with the virus.)

Trump is now doing a coronavirus-related remix of his usual borders attack on Democrats, saying "you see" with the coronavirus how their policies threaten the health of Americans.
    For a very long time, he is going to be talking about the virus like it hasn't already started spreading in the USA.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Well, its good to see that his stupid rationale for the border wall somehow applies to this virus (something like 40% of illegal immigrants arrive in America via the airport and not across a land border).

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    GDC got cancelled over covid concerns.

I'm feeling like a number of these cancellations are a bit overreaction-y.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

I mean, it was either cancel/postpone it, or hold it with a ton of the major stakeholders not present

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Basically all the major players involved already said they would not show up. There was not much of a choice for the venue.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The ASEAN conference scheduled to be held in Vegas also was postponed.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

I mean, it was either cancel/postpone it, or hold it with a ton of the major stakeholders not present

They announced refunds would be given, and they plan on holding something later in the year in some capacity. Really this has a gigantic impact on industry because this is where indies get surfaced and letting them get time to make deals with larger companies is a huge deal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Daniel Dale is a CNN who has somehow not gone insane from covering Trump.

Thread:
    Trump invokes the Russia stuff, impeachment, and then says, appearing to refer to their criticism of his handling of the coronavirus, "This is their new hoax." (He doesn't make clear that he's not calling the virus scare itself a hoax.)
    Trump has returned to the coronavirus from how Parasite shouldn't have been Best Picture. He says "we are magnificently organized" for the virus, "totally ready."

Trump: "This does show you. Things happen. Who ever thought of this? Two weeks ago, who would have thought this could be going on? For weeks ago? But things happen in life."

This is standard Rally Trump except it's about the novel coronavirus.

Trump: "Border security is also health security." He boasts about the wall, then says he'll do everything he can to keep people carrying "the infection" from entering the country. (We know of no cases in which someone has walked over from Mexico with the virus.)

Trump is now doing a coronavirus-related remix of his usual borders attack on Democrats, saying "you see" with the coronavirus how their policies threaten the health of Americans.
    For a very long time, he is going to be talking about the virus like it hasn't already started spreading in the USA.

And yet the craziest part of this whole story is still "Trump has returned to the coronavirus from how Parasite shouldn't have been Best Picture".

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid19-coronavirus-duke-nus-antibody-tests-12469184

Here you go thread some better news for all. This came out a few days back, but this new test seems to be very valuable. It tests for antibodies against the virus in people who had it. Which can either be people who were infected but asymptomatic, or people who caught it but have subsequently got better and dont know if they had it.

With this test you can trace backwards from a case you find to locate who gave it to them with far better confidence than just contact tracing and looking for infection, because you can find the source of the virus even if they have subsequently recovered. It effectively allows perfect tracing of the virus' path in a space where infection is rare.

Also the test shows high levels of antibodies to the virus in many people more than a month after they are sick. Which is a good sign towards "you'll probably only get this at worst occasionally, and subsequent infections should be more benign"

Get a few hundred thousand of these test kits in any first world nation and I think they could trace back, isolate and eliminate a much bigger outbreak than just with contact testing etc.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    nope

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    11 cases confirmed in San Antonio Texas

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-appears-in-oregon.html

Guess where I work?

So...

I get it's not Ebola, I'm not afraid of the virus but I don't really care for the deception and lack of communication or planning.

It is becoming a little annoying that we keep on reading how these cases are "awaiting cdc confirmation" or that they have all these people under watch but there doesnt seem to be any mass testing going on. Like, get those test kits out to the field, get those contacts traced. Why are we doing all this waiting and waiting to act? It's like they are testing these people by just waiting to see if they get sick or not. Get them tested and then trace their contacts and test them too. Tests are cheap, and false positives are cheap too at this point.

Edit - to be clear, the CDC and local authorities are acting. People are being told to isolate and monitored under watch, but, I'm not hearing about the mass testing that literally everyone else seems to be doing right now. The UK tested like 5000 people in response to the guy who went to that bar.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

Guess where I work?

So...

I get it's not Ebola, I'm not afraid of the virus but I don't really care for the deception and lack of communication or planning.

It is becoming a little annoying that we keep on reading how these cases are "awaiting cdc confirmation" or that they have all these people under watch but there doesnt seem to be any mass testing going on. Like, get those test kits out to the field, get those contacts traced. Why are we doing all this waiting and waiting to act? It's like they are testing these people by just waiting to see if they get sick or not. Get them tested and then trace their contacts and test them too. Tests are cheap, and false positives are cheap too at this point.

Edit - to be clear, the CDC and local authorities are acting. People are being told to isolate and monitored under watch, but, I'm not hearing about the mass testing that literally everyone else seems to be doing right now. The UK tested like 5000 people in response to the guy who went to that bar.

The CDC's pandemic response was severely cut back in $ terms after Trump took office. This may be one symptom of that.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    To be fair, you don't need the CDC to do airborne precautions - we do them all the time on patients with diseases that have a similar heartiness. Things like TB and C.DIF or any variety of Influenza.

They're not going to be in some elaborate vacuum chamber like in the movies. There will be a little yellow cart outside the room containing disposable gowns, gloves and masks with and signs all over the place to wash your hands like always.

The patient should be allowed to recover in privacy without a big media presence or community panic. All signs point to the fact it was inevitable that the virus make it's way across the globe and become a not uncommon thing for a little while.

I do wonder how many people will panic and call in sick over this - despite what you might believe, there are some fucking morons with higher education in healthcare.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    This is a slightly nerve-wracking moment to live in the Bay Area.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    A bright spot. Spoke to my buddy who is an engineer with his own manufacturing business and they have always refused to buy their supplies from China due to ethical concerns.

He says his business is booming because all of his competitors that are cheap/ greedy fucks buying from China can't process any orders currently. :D

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    The funny thing is the tax cuts will likely do fuck all from an economic standpoint because there is no way for them to address the problems caused by the covid19 outbreak and the whole thing that that money likely comes at the expense of programs that would help to mitigate the damage from the virus. Though Trump's fuckery on tax cuts is likely DoA.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    According to the BNO Newsdesk, there is another case of community-spread COVID-19. This time in Washington state.

BREAKING: Washington state reports 1 new case of coronavirus

This is believed to be another case case of human-to-human transmission of coronavirus in the United States. It follows 3 similar cases in California and Oregon.

Apparently this was relayed via live press conference a handful of minutes ago.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Cases in three different contiguous states does not imply containment to me. I'm going to be watching this one, nervously.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »

Guess where I work?

So...

The CDC's pandemic response was severely cut back in $ terms after Trump took office. This may be one symptom of that.

And any time someone who knows what the hell they're doing at CDC wants to inform the public, they have to clear it with Mike Pence's office- he of the absolutely bungled and mishandled HIV epidemic during his time as Indiana's governor- and well... we're dealing with an administration that only wants good news broadcast. So we can't count on reliable results from the CDC or anything because the fat orange moron has his fingers deep in that particular pie, and as far as he's concerned, it's economic instead of an actual sickness.

And yeah, CDC got $Texas cut from its budget, too. So that isn't going to help things. I mean, remember when the CDC was respected as a leader in the field of disease research and stuff? And now it's just some mutilated former shell being worn on the greasy hair of some Trump political appointee who's gagged it and forced it to speak through Mike Pence.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Bremen wrote: »
    Cases in three different contiguous states does not imply containment to me. I'm going to be watching this one, nervously.

I understand the quarantine measures in China and other early outbreak countries to try and contain the spread while it's still possible, but does there come a point where we collectively give up on that and just focus on standard prevention practices and effective treatment of those infected?

Like, when every corner of the world has thousands of cases, are we still going to see school closures, quarantines, event cancellations, etc? It seemed like those responses were primarily aimed at avoiding a pandemic. Or is the 10x influenza fatality rate (or whatever it is) of serious enough concern that we'll continue those practices after the pandemic cat is out of the bag?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Taximes wrote: »
    Bremen wrote: »

I understand the quarantine measures in China and other early outbreak countries to try and contain the spread while it's still possible, but does there come a point where we collectively give up on that and just focus on standard prevention practices and effective treatment of those infected?

Like, when every corner of the world has thousands of cases, are we still going to see school closures, quarantines, event cancellations, etc? It seemed like those responses were primarily aimed at avoiding a pandemic. Or is the 10x influenza fatality rate (or whatever it is) of serious enough concern that we'll continue those practices after the pandemic cat is out of the bag?

With the long incubation times and a bunch of countries now have considerable outbreaks I think we passed that point a couple weeks ago and never realized it. I don't think we give up on quarantining folks and trying to slow the spread but I pretty well expect that this is going to completely escape containment.

As for stopping big public gatherings...well 2% is around 2000% of the flu death rate and this seems to spread easier than the flu does with carriers being infectious but clueless that they are. Normally if you've got a bad flu you might skip that Con or at least try and minimize contact with folks. With COVID you've got no clue at all.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I think our lifestyle and the fact the virus is asymptomatic but contagious means that the attempts to contain it are pointless. I think we're better off making sure that those most vulnerable take it seriously and limit their risk of contracting it. There are lots of basic things that most people simply don't do.

Don't take your young kids to the hospital unless they need treatment. There's no reason to have a child visit someone in the hospital. They're sacks of disease and not only can they catch something disgusting from crawling around and putting everything in their mouth, they can transmit something from home or daycare to the person already stuck in the hospital. My work shoes probably have a thousand diseases and at least a dozen bodily fluids on them at all times and I walk all over that floor - don't let your kid crawl around on it.

As someone who wears a surgical mask 9 or so hours a day. Please don't wear one wrong, you make me want to physically hurt you.

Masks go over your NOSE AND MOUTH and shouldn't vent around your chin or cheeks. If your nose is sticking out, you're an asshole and maybe I hate you - but seriously, it's wrong. I actually don't mind if people wear a mask because it at least means you can cough and it's covered, even if it does fuck all for actually protecting you from the world.

Unless you're wearing an N95 everywhere, in which case you're too busy trying to breath through the damn thing and can't read this post if you're wearing it right.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    We passed that point as soon as the virus came into existence pretty much. China first announced several cases of it, then unknown, on December 31st. Meaning, given its ~2 week incubation period, it had been spreading since at least mid-December. Airports didn't even start screening for it until January 17th. Wuhan wasn't quarantined until January 23rd. More than a month for something that can spread asymptomatically and looks like an average case of the flu in most instances. All the airport checks and quarantine did was temporarily slow the spread.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/1095024/china-age-distribution-of-wuhan-coronavirus-covid-19-patients/

Some more interesting info here. This is a database of the actual patients who were documented as of February 11th 2020. We've already seen a lot of data about the mortality rate, but this is a quite interesting breakdown of who is being infected, or, at least who is being infected enough to be detected as infected in a stressed healthcare system.

Very interesting is the tiny number of very young people being infected, people below 20 make up 22.5% of China's population but only 2.1% of cases. We can compare the population pyramid!

https://www.populationpyramid.net/china/2020/

0-9 -> 11.9 % of population 0.9 % of cases -> Bracket ratio = 0.075
    10-19 -> 11.6 % of population 1.2 % of cases -> Bracket ration = 0.103
    20-29 -> 12.9 % of population 8.1 % of cases -> Bracket ratio = 0.629
    30-39 -> 15.9 % of population 17 % of cases -> Bracket ratio = 1.069
    40-49 -> 15 % of population 19.2 % of cases -> Bracket Ratio = 1.278
    50-59 -> 15.4 % of population 22.4 % of cases -> Bracket Ratio = 1.451
    60-69 -> 10.5 % of population 19.2 % of cases -> Bracket Ratio = 1.822
    70-79 -> 5 % of population 8.8 % of cases -> Bracket Ratio = 1.771
    80 + -> 0.8 % of population 3.2 % of cases -> Bracket Ratio = 1.730

Using my thrilling new concept of the Bracket Ratio, which is probably a real thing in virology with a cool name, but, we can see that older people are heavily over represented amongst those who have been identified with the virus in this group of 44k patients. The 30-39 group has about the right number of 'patients' (which remember, doesn't say anything more about the severity of their cases) but the over 60 groups all have about double the amount of patients they 'should'. Now, we can't speak to what would happen with repeated exposures, or if maybe the 'absent' young people vs the older groups did get infected but never showed symptoms enough to report it, but, this certainly seems to be yet another risk factor skewed towards older people.

As a parent though, I can tell you that I am very happy to see that tiny bracket ratio in the very young, and to be able to combine that with the tiny death rate below 19.

Also to take into account is the amount of exposures and the exposure level you would expect to see in young people. Which, considering toddlers and other diseases likely goes like this

0-9 -> All exposures all the time to everything because they are filthy beyond belief and hang out with a massive group of other filthy toddlers playing in muck and sneezing on each other
    10-19 -> High level of exposures
    20-29 -> High level of exposures
    30-39 -> Moderate level of exposures (handwashing rates go up with age, and kissing rates go down)
    40-49 -> Moderate level of exposures
    50-59 -> Modereate level of exposures
    60-69 -> Low level of exposures (retirement means seeing fewer people)
    70-79 -> Lower level of exposures (older, frailer and at home)
    80+ -> Lower level of exposures (healthier old people spend a lot of time at home, but, bumped back up again by old people already in hospitals)

So there's likely another skewing factor baked in here somewhere in terms of the amount of exposures in a population group vs the amount of infections.

This discussion has been closed.