As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bucks Win Championship Without Head Coach [NBA]

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    That makes me really, really sad

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    I thought Wade retracted his support of Nick Cannon?

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    yeah, maybe I'm giving him too much credit. or not enough credit?

Blue lives and thin blue line shit isn't sold at Target. You have to consciously shop for it to find it.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Everyone

You’re talking about the guy who bases his game on getting people to foul him

He’s literally turned being an internet troll into MVP-level performance on the court

I am not surprised at all that Harden would appear to do something to “trigger” people

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I will be honest; I have never heard of him before, I do not follow basketball at all.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    "I thought it looked cool," is his explanation.

Good grief.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    "I thought it looked cool," is his explanation.

Good grief.

The trolling continues

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I will be honest; I have never heard of him before, I do not follow basketball at all.

There’s a good argument he’s the most impactful player in the league now, and he’s for sure in the top 5

His game is based on dribbling for most of an entire possession waiting for his defender to make a mistake for Harden to jump into them while shooting so he can take foul shots...or for his opponent to lay back, so Harden can use his step back shot which is heavily mocked for requiring ~4 non-dribbling steps to execute

He is whiny and often flops

He plays for a team that writes letters (earnestly!!!) containing possession-by-possession analyses of how many points they would have scored had the refs called fouls that were missed and how they therefore are the real winners of a game or series

Said team took and missed 27 straight 3-point shots in an elimination playoff game and lost a big lead, game, and series as a result, while the world laughed mercilessly at them

He dated a Kardashian

In retrospect, I’m surprised he waited this long to troll us

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Let's just say, me being an old, Harden wouldn't of lasted there seasons in the 70's hell, let alone the late 80's-90's, during the Celtics, Lakers, Pistons, Bulls NBA eras. Flopping would've gotten you an elbow or a fist to the face.

The late 80's to 90's Bad Boys, would've killed him.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    You play with the hand you're dealt, and Harden (and the Rockets) are fully leaning into the limits of the modern game they were given to play

The Bad Boy Pistons would be laughed out of the gym in today's NBA

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    70s-80s era enforcers were a bad thing though not a good one. The Pistons beat the shit out of Jordan because that was the only way they could defend him.

I am not a fan of Harden in the least but I don't want any Laimbeers in the league anymore. Enforcing traveling would more than suffice at neutralizing the worst aspects of his play.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, people behave within their context.

Players today put in a different context would behave differently. They would not do the same things they do right now.

James Harden would not flop if he was not rewarded for it. If you transported him to the 80's he wouldn't just start falling on the floor like a wet fish - he'd probably just end up using his size and core strength to bully his way down the lane. Or hell, he could do the exact same thing he does now on the perimeter except he wouldn't try to draw and embellish contact - it's not like he can't make those shots under normal circumstances. They'd probably be even easier in the age of the illegal zone defense.

• Options
    I agree with all of that, except while Bill Laimbeer would try to clothesline Harden for sure, Harden is more man than Laimbeer ever played against back then- he only has 20 lbs on Harden and 4 inches

Today’s NBA players don’t play the brutal, unwatchable style we had between 80s Lakers and early 00s Lakers, but today’s NBA players are ripped and giant

• Options
    Much of the brutality was also because the 3-point line was an afterthought and there was far less floor space. It took almost 30 years before offenses were actually designed around generating open threes.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Holy shit! Did he get sick? He wasn't even that skinny in college.

• Options
    qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    With the number of Melo versions there are, you could probably field a team composed only of Melo.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    OMG the latest NBA desktop is so good

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    if you put any modern NBA star in a time machine and sent them back to 1988 they'd destroy everything; Harden for example is nearly the size of laimbeer while being faster and a better handler (and shooter) than thomas; he wouldn't have trouble with the bad boys clotheslining him because he'd just run through them. It's the same silly topic that periodically comes up in the NFL re: the 72 dolphins.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    back then if you made a flashy layup on someone

they'd spend the rest of the game hard fouling you in the paint and most wouldn't be called

then they'd ask the 10 or 11th guy on the roster to hard foul you in the paint when they were getting rest

• Options
    BTW, here is the NBA desktop I mentioned earlier. If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor and give it a click. I found it most enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E8mrdBYUc8

• Options
    if you put any modern NBA star in a time machine and sent them back to 1988 they'd destroy everything; Harden for example is nearly the size of laimbeer while being faster and a better handler (and shooter) than thomas; he wouldn't have trouble with the bad boys clotheslining him because he'd just run through them. It's the same silly topic that periodically comes up in the NFL re: the 72 dolphins.

Yeah I'm not prepared to agree with this. The offensive schemes are definitely superior but I am not prepared to accept that no teams in 1988 would be able to contain James Harden. Also, Thomas was an exceptional ball handler. I'll entertain Harden being a better shooter but so much of what makes Harden so dominant comes from him exploiting the rules on shooting fouls.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    It's mostly hypotheticals but the game changed so much that its hard to compare. Half the current NBA would get 5 carrying violations on their first 5 positions if you go back far enough. My guess is that exceptional talent will still be exceptional, but the baseline is definitely improved by a lot. So many people can shoot now, people are making way more conscious decisions about body weight and muscle mass, the training is sharper.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

I knew it was Melo when I saw most of the clip was dedicated to iso ball 17 footers

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Keep thinking his arms and legs are going to snap every time I see him.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Wait

Did we do the draft already?

Was Bol a rook in 2019 and I missed it

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    When does he start going by Bol-squared

• Options
    Wait

Did we do the draft already?

Was Bol a rook in 2019 and I missed it

I guess he was wrecking the G-League and got called up in November but hasn't recorded any NBA minutes yet.

• Options
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Glen Taylor is reportedly selling the Wolves, which is maybe the best thing to happen to the Wolves in a decade

Who's potentially buying the franchise?

Glad you asked

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    l60ndcivlim2.jpeg

What is “small ball”

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Hahaha whaaat!? I love Jokic down there as a guard.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Jokic even looks like he's smirking a little like "Yeah, I'm totally a guard."

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The Bigger They Are, The Larger They Are

This discussion has been closed.