As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bucks Win Championship Without Head Coach [NBA]

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I'll admit Spo has looked better this season (at least in bubble land) but I still can't call him a good coach.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The Heat are crushing folks

Jimdiana
    Butwaukee

• Options
    The only team remaining who is not interesting is Houston- those jerks can’t be eliminated fast enough

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    I think Houston is more interesting than the LA teams. Micro ball is a fun experiment.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    On the flip side, the Lakers finally showed up defensively to this game and it allowed them to open things up.

I want a all star game that's just LeBron playing goalie to shot block with like two maybe one extra defender before him to just let him block

How am I gonna explain to kids that this guy's that goat but also like his best cinematic plays are chase down blocks

• Options
    burbo wrote: »
    I think Houston is more interesting than the LA teams. Micro ball is a fun experiment.

Love it as a simulation, for sure

Its not that fun to watch, though neither really is LA, save for the occasional Caruso dunk or Lebron/AD reminder that they’re all timers

• Options
    Yeah, true that its much more fun in theory than in practice. There just tends to be a ceiling on the entertainment value of any Harden/Morey team.

• Options
    So what do you folks think, are we now willing to waive our right to an asterisk for this title? The games have been great enough that, assuming no covid outbreaks, I'm happy to forgo that privilege.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    So what do you folks think, are we now willing to waive our right to an asterisk for this title? The games have been great enough that, assuming no covid outbreaks, I'm happy to forgo that privilege.

you don't play the full season, you get an asterisk. personally i think it's a bit of a joke they're going to hand out a larry o'brien for this season.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Even if you don't asterisk it formally, it will always come up that this championship wasn't quite the same as the others. Which isn't to say that the others are all the same, either, but I don't think you're ever going to get away from this year's title being the "COVID Championship".

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Asterisks are dumb. Any team that navigates its way through all of this deserves to be proud.

I'm not sure we wouldn't be getting the same exact 4 teams in the conference finals, anyway.

• Options
    The Spurs count theirs...

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The thing is that all teams have to navigate the same bullshit, same as any other shortened season

An asterisk is only for if one team like, cheated or intentionally did something unethical

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

you don't play the full season, you get an asterisk. personally i think it's a bit of a joke they're going to hand out a larry o'brien for this season.

Do you argue for this just because you want to attach an asterisk to the 76ers sweep? :P

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    I'll admit Spo has looked better this season (at least in bubble land) but I still can't call him a good coach.

Spo is 100% a good coach. Some of the rosters he's managed to make competitive are pretty impressive.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I despise the heat, but I have no idea how you could argue against Spo being one of the best coaches in the league at this point. Like, he's clearly in the top 5, at least.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options

Do you argue for this just because you want to attach an asterisk to the 76ers sweep? :P

i have watched about.... 5? minutes of basketball since the restart and have been hard on the train of this is a ridiculous season to award a championship to since it was obvious that games weren't going to restart right away so, no?

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

i have watched about.... 5? minutes of basketball since the restart and have been hard on the train of this is a ridiculous season to award a championship to since it was obvious that games weren't going to restart right away so, no?

I agree that it's different than other seasons, for obvious reasons, but I don't see why it's ridiculous to award a championship (from a basketball perspective, from a societal perspective, the idea that this is the one and only thing that we can get right is just. . . what the fuck). Like, if you watch the basketball, you can see that it's at a higher level than playoff basketball normally is. It's different, sure, but it's still something. If we like basketball, and competition, and use championships as one manifestation of that, then why not award a championship?

Also, I'm going to selfishly just say that the seeding games are just as legitimate as any other regular season, and from here on our refer to my favorite player as MPV Damian Lillard with only the barest hint of shame.

• Options
    they're going to award it no matter what i think, so that doesn't matter particularly much. i just think it's a bit of a farce. they stopped playing for months, didn't finish the season so schedules were unbalanced, and are playing entirely at a neutral site.

if merely a strike shortened season is enough for an asterisk, which it is, this certainly is.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I don't know why you would be bothered whether the champ should have an asterisk or not. I'm just a fan watching and the games have been competitive and fun to watch and its clear the players are taking this playoff seriously.

• Options
    An asterisk would be called for with noticeably lower quality play but has not been the case at all.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    There should be an asterisk and if you look at the footnote it says, “these playoffs whipped ass”

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Magell wrote: »
    I don't know why you would be bothered whether the champ should have an asterisk or not. I'm just a fan watching and the games have been competitive and fun to watch and its clear the players are taking this playoff seriously.

Yeah, fair enough.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I’m pretty comfortable ascribing an asterisk to the season, since, y’know, the season didn’t play out.

Plenty of teams had players with injuries that recovered more than they would have in time, (which personally I think is great, but it’s an advantage) others like Houston had a setup that was unsustainable and its players were exhausted. They had time to recover rather than rolling straight into the playoffs after the regular season.

Toronto was playing in a country with a sane COVID policy, so they were able to continue training and practicing with no change.

The games are being played in a neutral stadium, home court advantage doesn’t exist, so teams that psychologically might have benefited from that do not have that advantage.

Other teams are missing players who didn’t want to attend the playoffs, because as the final point, the league decided it wanted to force the playoffs during the middle of a pandemic that has killed almost a million people and potentially could cause health problems that could prematurely end the athlete’s careers due to health complications.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Like for example there was a scare yesterday/today with a quarantine breach with a Rockets player.

They told Houston to quarantine until game time but they’re still playing before getting testing results back.

It may be unlikely, but if a Rockets player got it, spread it to the team, now Lakers players could have it.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Danuel House was trying to sneak in some nookie

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    you and the Clippers rigged this shit

• Options
    Harden looks equal parts tired and uninterested.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    When the Lakers are locked in, they are just ridiculous defensively, which is why the next series against (probably) the Clippers should be so fun, as both teams will actually get to do what they realistically want to defensively.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

The James Harden Experience:
    2-11 from the field
    16-20 FTs
    21 points

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »

The James Harden Experience:
    2-11 from the field
    16-20 FTs
    21 points

I'm not sure Harden has ever looked excited.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    should have kept Capella

gone fishing

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think Lebron likes losing game 1’s just to spark all of the hot takes it brings.

• Options

It’s just a captionable pic, eg
    88eobhuhqzn3.jpeg

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I will always have fond memories of Russ averaging a triple double and leading me to a fantasy championship.

• Options
    I will always have fond memories of Russ averaging a triple double and leading me to a fantasy championship.

I passionately argued in this very thread (or a previous version) that he was very good, actually, while doing this, even using his rebound stats as a point for my argument

Someone replied with a video showing how he got his rebounds

I shut up

I have bad sports takes!

This discussion has been closed.