As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bucks Win Championship Without Head Coach [NBA]

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    burbo wrote: »
    Oh, and also, I would be remiss not to mention NBA Desktop for those who enjoy the day-to-day gossip, beefs, gifable moments, NBA twitter kind of discussion (it's not as obnoxious as my description makes it sound. I think? Or maybe it is? I dunno, I like it).

The award-winning NBA Desktop should get another award this year just for Les Knickerbockers.

https://youtu.be/8s-XfFrgEOU

Oh man, I hadn't seen that one. It's a real testament to the melody and the performance that I'm like, both cracking up hysterically, and also getting all misty. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    This horse competition isn't exactly thrilling tv, but I"ve missed sports so much that it's good enough.

Right now Allie Quigley is playing against Chris Paul and the difference in their hoop setups is hilarious to me.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Karl Anthony Towns’ mother died of complication from Covid-19

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    If you aren't watching The Last Dance, you should be. Some of this footage is insane.

Also MJ is drinking and whenever you see the glass level kinda low is when the good shit is happening.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    The Last Dance was very good, but good lord Jerry Krause got made to look awful during it.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    There is footage of him and Danny Ainge playing golf between playoff games. Its got great stuff.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    ESPN with at least two unedited "Fucks" in primetime.

Ending ep 2 with Jordan being a management stooge bitching about Pippen not thinking about "the team" and "being selfish" when Pippen was trying to get paid after coming off a 7 year $18 million contract is just perfect.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »

Ending ep 2 with Jordan being a management stooge bitching about Pippen not thinking about "the team" and "being selfish" when Pippen was trying to get paid after coming off a 7 year $18 million contract is just perfect.

There was way more than 2 fucks in those segments.

Wait until next week when he talks about the Bad Boys and specifically Isaiah Thomas.

• Options
    Next week also has Rodman.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Carpy wrote: »

I'm fully behind Pippen saying, "nah, fuck this," and pushing his surgery back long enough to eat into the season, but also like...it was selfish. Like, the whole point was Pippen saying, "fuck you, you should have paid me." Which again, good for him

Jordan being pissy about it also makes sense, because, I assume in his mind he's thinking, "well the rest of us aren't responsible for this shit, why is he making us pay for it?" I think it was...pretty apparent Jordan didn't give a shit about anyone above Phil Jackson in that organization.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Barack Obama
    Former Chicago Resident

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Damn, I'd love to see this doc. Can't ESPN just put this on Disney+, since its owned by Disney anyway?

EDIT: Turns out, internationally this doc is distributed by Netflix. Watched the first episode last night. Absolutely fantastic. Can't wait for the rest.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    Ok, double post. Why is this doc only coming out now - 22 years later, when the camera crew followed them that year?

• Options
    There was a rumor that Jordan called up the people with the footage during the Cavs championship parade a few years back

• Options
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    There was a rumor that Jordan called up the people with the footage during the Cavs championship parade a few years back

Wait, after the Cavs murdered that Dubs’ team’s claim at greatest ever?

• Options
    The 5 minutes of the Bulls finally overcoming the Pistons, the walkoff and Horace Grant calling them "straight-up bitches", Jordan still ready to fight Thomas, and Jerry Krause dancing on the plane may go down as the best moment of this entire 10-part documentary.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    that's saying a lot because this is the same night of describing Dennis Rodman's 48-hour Vegas vacation in the middle of the season, including them showing Phil Jackson, Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman video of MJ describing Rodman asking for the vacation

• Options
    Jordan finding Rodman in a Vegas hotel before cellphones is an impressive feat. Think they might have skipped out how Jordan knows Vegas so well.

Carmen Electra hiding when MJ showed up is also great.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I'm only posting this to try and fix the unread thread bug but I also think this is still hilarious so here you go

https://streamable.com/tt4mv1

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I had no idea about this doc. I missed watching Jordan cause I was a kid and didn't care about basketball. Would it still be good to watch?

• Options
    Einzel wrote: »
    I had no idea about this doc. I missed watching Jordan cause I was a kid and didn't care about basketball. Would it still be good to watch?

Yes, its great.

• Options
    I want to meet the person who thought up the idea of handing Jordan tablets with clips from other interviews and filming his reactions so I can shake their hand.

• Options
    I’m glad they’re telling the Kukoc story, even if watered down.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Kevin O'Conner at the Ringer had an article about the various options floating around for restarting the season, and I have to say that the Disney World option did seem pretty good, if people are still convinced they have to have the season happen.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    As much as I'd like basketball back it would mess up next season too much to bother bringing it back now. Plus its not like players are going to be in playoff shape after this much time off as well.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    As much as I'd like basketball back it would mess up next season too much to bother bringing it back now. Plus its not like players are going to be in playoff shape after this much time off as well.

I'm sure plenty are working out at home but their game will be rusty as hell.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Someone do an anonymous survey to see how many dudes want to play with Kyrie

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    No way they can hand out a Larry O’Brien at this point anyway, and would really blow a hole in next season. Idk doesn’t make sense to me.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
  • Options
    Germanys first football league is starting again the coming weekend, without spectators. Not sure how long the rest of the season will take, but they want to start up again.

As Germany is a football country, they don't have to consider anything else. Euro and Olympics are postponed to next year anyway, so they can make their season last as long as need be.

Not like the NBA, where they have to consider the NFLs season start in the summer. They should just let this season go. Don't make somebody champion, just let players rest and prepare for next season. Outside of the health and exposure risks to players in any scenario, it will do all the players good to have that rest and put a little less mileage on their bodies.

Then again, there is a lot of money involved (also the main reason Germanys Bundesliga is starting up again), so of course they will re-start the season somehow.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I think if they can come up with a scenario in which players can play against each other safely (which is a stretch if you ask me) then it should be exhibition. Award something else besides the Larry O'Brien trophy and don't have an MVP. I think a 3-4 week long tournament with no spectators so ESPN and TNT have something to put on the air would be better than nothing. But again, this is contingent on safety and I think the "campus environment" idea might not be feasible for some players that have and live with large families.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Quick comment on The Last Dance. This doc is so utterly fascinating, especially how it reinforces just how insane Michael Jordan really is/was. Absolutely amazing. I also watched alot of interviews with the director, which gives even more insight into the whole process. I hope it wins all the awards.

• Options
    it's incredibly compelling and entertaining, even if you can definitely feel Jordan's hand on the scale, you know? like, it's more insight into him than you'd maybe expect, but they also brought in Barack Obama to give him a pass for staying out of politics, which is wild

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    it's incredibly compelling and entertaining, even if you can definitely feel Jordan's hand on the scale, you know? like, it's more insight into him than you'd maybe expect, but they also brought in Barack Obama to give him a pass for staying out of politics, which is wild

Oh, you mean Former Chicago Resident Barack Obama?

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    I enjoy The Last Dance, but it's so obvious that it's pure hagiography. No criticism of Jordan can stand. It's all highlights and no failures without excuses. In some ways, it even feels like it works to diminish Pippen so that Jordan will shine brighter.

I particularly didn't like how they left the final word on a Jordan's abuse of teammates as "well, it worked didn't it", as though abuse is justifiable so long as it contributes to your own personal glory.

• Options
    burbo wrote: »
    I enjoy The Last Dance, but it's so obvious that it's pure hagiography. No criticism of Jordan can stand. It's all highlights and no failures without excuses. In some ways, it even feels like it works to diminish Pippen so that Jordan will shine brighter.

I particularly didn't like how they left the final word on a Jordan's abuse of teammates as "well, it worked didn't it", as though abuse is justifiable so long as it contributes to your own personal glory.

That is true. I don't mind because I know the bias going in, and its pretty blatant. But there is a ton of excuses for everything Jordan does, and not much if any criticism

This discussion has been closed.