As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bucks Win Championship Without Head Coach [NBA]

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2020
    The Last Dance is good but it’s actually made me sick of Jordan.

Everyone talking about he was the greatest of all time when he was really a very troubled person who was so competitive that he basically would throw anyone under the bus if it helped him win.

I’ve always respected Jordan as one of the greatest to ever play the game but I’ve never quite liked him and The Last Dance just glossing over everyone one of his flaws has just kind of reinforced my dislike.

It also doesn’t help that I have to keep seeing the Jordan vs Lebron debate over and over again online (with most people calling Lebron “Lebitch” or some other derogatory name.

Jordan is the wrong player to idolize by a very long mile.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I can’t wait for the Luka v Lebron debates 10 years hence

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Jordan seems really self-aware of his issues

a lot of his anger came from other players taking it on themselves to bully him on the court just for simply being the best in his business

in the end it didn't matter because he would dribble over them to victory after victory

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

a lot of his anger came from other players taking it on themselves to bully him on the court just for simply being the best in his business

in the end it didn't matter because he would dribble over them to victory after victory

I don’t really think Jordan is actually that self-aware of his flaws.

Hell, the fact that his group had final say over the edit and the whole thing is basically a hagiography speaks to that concept. The dude is still trying to project himself as a larger-than-life figure rather than allow the documentary to really examine his flaws, and it’s a shame.

(For the record, I actually think the documentary has been fantastic viewing, but the only real truths that are happening exist around Jordan)

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »

I don’t really think Jordan is actually that self-aware of his flaws.

Hell, the fact that his group had final say over the edit and the whole thing is basically a hagiography speaks to that concept. The dude is still trying to project himself as a larger-than-life figure rather than allow the documentary to really examine his flaws, and it’s a shame.

(For the record, I actually think the documentary has been fantastic viewing, but the only real truths that are happening exist around Jordan)

The nature of the doc doesn't mean he's not self aware.

He's just also hyper-aware of his brand. Republicans buy sneakers too.

• Options
    I actually think that before this doc, it was kind of wild how Jordan wasn’t a bigger story in the NBA

He’s the SGOAT and first former player to own a team and he sucks at it

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Jerry Sloan died today. He was apparently pretty sick beforehand

• Options
    Being a Sonics fan meant I hated those Jazz teams
    But if there was ever a team that deserved to win a championship and never did it was the Sloan Jazz.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    But if there was ever a team that deserved to win a championship and never did it was the Sloan Jazz.

There were multiple championship caliber teams in that era that ran into the Jordan-Pippen wall. The Cavs, Knicks, Jazz, and Sonics all had title potential. The Hakeem Rockets only ever got theirs because Michael tried to play baseball.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Butters wrote: »

There were multiple championship caliber teams in that era that ran into the Jordan-Pippen wall. The Cavs, Knicks, Jazz, and Sonics all had title potential. The Hakeem Rockets only ever got theirs because Michael tried to play baseball.

That Cavs team was eliminated by MJ 5 of 7 years from 88-94

The only other team that beat those Cavs teams in the playoffs in those years is the Sixers, one time

MJ lebronto’d Cleveland long before it became a thing

(The Browns we’re losing SB trips at the last minute these years, too...)

Ugh https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shot

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'll admit it - I know I shouldn't want them playing basketball, but damn do I want to watch some basketball.

• Options
    Butters wrote: »

That Cavs team was eliminated by MJ 5 of 7 years from 88-94

The only other team that beat those Cavs teams in the playoffs in those years is the Sixers, one time

MJ lebronto’d Cleveland long before it became a thing

(The Browns we’re losing SB trips at the last minute these years, too...)

Ugh https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shot

I grew up in Cleveland. I'm well aware and that's why I included the Cavs in that list

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Damien Lillard was out in front marching in Portland

kla518bi711f.jpeg

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I think a lot of players are discounting how isolated they'll be in this bubble to play, but more importantly how much it will suck for janitorial staff that also has to be isolated, but get nowhere near enough pay to justify it.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

The canned crowd noise is bad in the Bundesliga matches I've seen. It works at the most superficial, waking past a TV level but even a cursory amount of paying attention shows how it doesn't match the actual flow of the game and it stands out as being fake.

Good for 2K for getting that money but I'd rather hear the sneakers squeak and catch the players yelling at each other.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Blech.

I am actually on the side of players who don't want to resume the season. I wasn't already prior, but without having sports as a distration it's help cast the social injustices suffered by minorities into stark relief and not offered an easy way out to those who use it as an escape for how bad things are.

But really?

Kyrie??

This is a textbook case of "that person you hate just made a great point.jpg"

Kelor on
  • Options
    This is interesting

e1sbdydgmlcb.jpeg

• Options
    So you can see when Kobe retired there

• Options
    Also they need a new version of the shot chart that accounts for 27+ foot shots

• Options
    edited June 2020
    yeah missing the Curry and Dame zone

Xehalus on
  • Options
    So you can see when Kobe retired there

David West too.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    I'd prefer if they used a color for the hexes in order to scaled them by frequency, but yeah, that's a good way to visualize the changes in the game for sure.

• Options
    I also think those points directly in line with the basket near the top that free throw line circle thing (what is that even called, and why does it exist, for that matter?). It's interesting how commonly that makes it into the chart, directly right in line.

• Options
    you can also see where Rip Hamilton played

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    I also think those points directly in line with the basket near the top that free throw line circle thing (what is that even called, and why does it exist, for that matter?). It's interesting how commonly that makes it into the chart, directly right in line.

it's the free throw circle. it's mostly for jump balls, but ft shooter must also stay in the half of the circle above the ft line during the shot until the ball hits the rim.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    burbo wrote: »

it's the free throw circle. it's mostly for jump balls, but ft shooter must also stay in the half of the circle above the ft line during the shot until the ball hits the rim.

Riiiiiiight. Thanks for clarifying!

It's amazing how much basketball I've played and watched without noticing that detail specifically.

• Options
    https://mobile.twitter.com/jj_redick/status/1271481283558899712

Given the surge in new positive tests in Florida they’re not truly sealing things off?

It’s a couple of days old, so maybe things have changed but not that I could find.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
  • Options
    ESPN has a good writeup on Maya Moore's retirement today. Just an absolute legend. Not meaning to throw shade, but NBA guys are treated like heroes sacrificing for their ideals by wearing a shirt or sending a tweet or whatever, but look what Maya's been up to. The WNBA players, as a group, are always so impressive in this way, as far as athletes go.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/29315369/inside-wnba-legend-maya-moore-extraordinary-quest-justice

• Options
    What the fuck is that big brother bullshit?

• Options
    The bubble itself was already big brother bullshit but if that device actually works I can think of approximately one million better uses for it than NBA players/staff

• Options
    edited June 2020
    It's a $300 Fitbit in a ring form factor that you can buy right now if you want.

Carpy on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I meant if it actually works for diagnosing the virus.

Butters on
  • Options
    Oh for sure, it's not like the could have put together a rigorous experiment to actually test that.

This discussion has been closed.