As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley: Seeking the Red Cabbage Since 2016

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    You should be able to just chuck things on the floor if your inventory is full during while you have the chest open. Get everything inside on the floor, chop the chest up, and go about your business.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Oh hmm i didn't think about that. I guess i in too used to it automatically picking things up when I'm trying to make space.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's my standard thing for moving chests. It sometimes requires a couple of trips walking back to where the old chest was and hoovering up everything on the ground, but it does the trick.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I know it wouldn't be something you want to happen all the time, but I wish there was one tool where you could hit a loaded chest and it'd just explode like a pinata.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Let me put a lit cherry bomb inside a chest like so many mailboxes

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Sounds like the sort of prank Sebastian and Sam would do. Sort of why adding a battery to the luau is actually an option, I mean, if you really want every one in town to hate you.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    z6wloinle23o.png

Uuuugh, fine. I'll get the Joja Co. Member of the Year achievement. I already hate this dude.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Arg. I decided that Martin was going to be a real asshole, because I've only ever seen the super light side dialogue options.

The first cutscene that triggered was George's trash can.

I don't think this is going to be okay. Why are these dialogue options even in here?

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    zks25movfxyl.png

Martin completed the last Joja Co. community development pack on First Summer 22.

gaycmvcf3mya.png

He learned nothing, made no friends, and was really mean to Linus one time. He's probably going to install some sharecroppers on the land and move back to the city and buy a block of slums.

This sucks. I wish I could walk him into the sea. I'm gonna make some hippy that's going to smooch all the romancable townsfolk into one giant snuggle pile.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jolene reached 10 hearts with her last eligible villager on Second Summer 8. It was Alex, because he has a shitty schedule and only loves Complete Breakfast and Salmon Dinner, and it seems like a bad idea to get into a relationship with a dude because you cook him complicated meals.

Jolene, with her flaming locks of auburn hair, ivory skin, and eyes of emerald green, stole absolutely everyone's man and woman just because she could. She built up strong romantic relationships with just about everyone in town through the sophisticated seduction method of barging into their rooms first thing in the morning, wordlessly thrusting a bottle of beer into their hands, and sprinting out.

This is the first time I saw most of the mens' ten-heart events. Now I can safely say that Maru's is by far the best, and it's not even close.

Jolene out.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    every time I try to get out...

Yep. Gonna be heading back to Stardew at some point.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Goddamn, the dev could never update the game again and I would feel like I got value for money and I bought the game three times

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    This is Stardew Valley’s biggest update yet!

This update adds some significant “late-game” content to Stardew Valley. It’s by far the biggest solid chunk of new content that’s been added to the game since launch. I won’t go into too much detail right now because I don’t like spoiling things, but if you don’t mind spoiling the surprise for yourself, here’s a link to the full changelog.

--

New Game Options

If you’re considering starting a new save file for this update, there’s a few new character creation options:

There is a new farm called “Beach Farm“. It’s big, with good fishing and foraging opportunities, and the chance for rare supply crate to wash up on shore. But there’s a catch… the majority of the farm is covered in sandy soil that prevents you from using sprinklers (they get clogged with the sand). If this is your first time playing Stardew Valley, I recommend trying one of the other farms for a more classic experience, but if you’re coming back for another playthrough, Beach Farm might make your experience a little more fresh (it also has a unique look).
    There is a new “Advanced Game Options” button in the bottom left of the character creation menu. From here, you can select a variety of options to customize your playthrough. For returning players, I’d recommend trying out the “remixed” Community Center bundles, which randomizes the bundles you’ll get, adding in brand new ones as well as variations of the originals. Remixing the mine rewards can also shake things up… this adds randomized variety to what you can get out of the mine chests.
    Make sure to check out the new hairstyles at the end of the hairs list.

Split Screen (Local) Co-Op

To play splitscreen, build a cabin (from Robin’s) for up to 3 other players who will be joining (if you’re starting a new game, you can also select to have cabins already placed at the beginning in the advanced game options menu). Once the cabins are there, open your game menu, scroll down to multiplayer, and select “Start local co-op”. The other players can now join by pressing start on a controller connected to the PC. Please see the options tab in the game menu to adjust the zoom level and UI zoom level to a setting that works well for you. Otherwise, split screen works exactly the same as online multiplayer.
    Modding

Some prominent modders were given early access to 1.5 so that they could update their mods in time for release. If you play with mods that you can’t live without, check to see if they might already be updated!
    A spoiler-free list of some of the new features to expect:

New people to meet
    New goals
    Many new items
    A new type of quest
    A new farm layout
    New character events
    A new Community Upgrade
    Home renovations (after you’ve fully upgraded your house)
    Ducks can now swim
    You can sit in chairs
    You can move your bed
    Fish Tanks
    A bunch of new furniture items as well as new furniture types like wall sconces
    New secrets
    9 new music tracks
    And so much more… you’ll just have to see, I can’t bear to spoil it

https://www.stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-1-5-update-out-now-on-pc/

oh man there's even more here than I thought!

Brolo on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    THERE IS SO MUCH.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Goddamn, the dev could never update the game again and I would feel like I got value for money and I bought the game three times

I have the special edition with all the wooden accessories, the switch digital version and the PC version, plus I bought it for my kids and I also have all the guidebook editions, and still that comes out to:

$0.23/hour of gameplay for me so far!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    darunia106 wrote: »
    THERE IS SO MUCH.

Like he could have probably released this as a $5 expansion pack and probably made mega bank. Heck, even at like $2 thats probably a couple million dollars in a few days as everyone buys it.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    It's so refreshing to see a developer have passion for their game even after all this time. And also not having turned into a dick about its success.

• Options
    Dang. Beach farm sounds neat, but I'm a little spooked at the prospect of no sprinklers.

Oh man, but I bet there are wave noises over the end of the day summary screen. Dang.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    All the more reason to get the greenhouse ASAP. Because there weren't enough reasons already.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I'm really curious but I don't want to look at spoilers. Is there anything really big you'll miss out on (other than the new starting farm) if you don't start a new game?

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    New mechanics are fun and all, but I've played the story so much that-
    • New people to meet

....shit

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The patch notes are so long, and the quality of life / fixes notes are pretty good this time around too. Fixes a lot of odd menuing behavior with controllers.

This is really generous stuff.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Concerned Ape has also released the 1.5 update tracks on Bandcamp: https://concernedape.bandcamp.com/album/stardew-valley-15-original-soundtrack

I'll be picking it up and tossing a few bucks his way

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    the one thing i really don't like about sv is that so so much of the crafting/cooking/farming is pointless. there's no reason to make or do a lot of the stuff you can, there's either things that make more money or are not required for literally anything. and like the pet? what is it even there for? i think that's the definite one way that graveyard keeper does much much better. plus i hate having to interact with the townsfolk; i didn't like any of their story bits. just let me go get coral dammit.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    the one thing i really don't like about sv is that so so much of the crafting/cooking/farming is pointless. there's no reason to make or do a lot of the stuff you can, there's either things that make more money or are not required for literally anything. and like the pet? what is it even there for? i think that's the definite one way that graveyard keeper does much much better. plus i hate having to interact with the townsfolk; i didn't like any of their story bits. just let me go get coral dammit.

I think you might be playing the game with different objectives and goals than most people

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

I think you might be playing the game with different objectives and goals than most people

DAMN RIGHT I AM

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    This is me also. I'm incapable of playing SDV as anything but an optimization puzzle. It's not a low stress game for me like it seems to be for most other people.
    I like the characters etc, but they're definitely the side game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This is me also. I'm incapable of playing SDV as anything but an optimization puzzle. It's not a low stress game for me like it seems to be for most other people.

might i interest you in a lovely game where you make burgers out of dead skin?

• Options
    • Trees chopped from above or below will now take into consideration the player’s horizontal position when falling to the left or right.

God, there are so many tweaks like this that fix little annoyances that I'd just learned to deal with. Not the hero we deserve.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

If you're talking about Graveyard Keeper, I got that recently and it is frustrating as shit (as much as I like it). The days are too short, the stamina you have available each day is too little, and taking care of the daily bodies that arrive take up so much of that stamina if you want to properly fix them up / bury them.

And THAT GAME is definitely full of "why do I need this item" all over the place. Mostly in the way of cooking. I get that some cooking items give buffs, but for the most part it's stamina gains. Yet they're so small, time consuming, and the stamina it takes to make things is so high. The most efficient way is to grow a bunch of apple trees in your orchard, harvest it once, throw all the apples on to roast, and then you have a shitload of items to chomp down (which will absolutely last a couple of harvest cycles so you don't have to min-max your apple tree harvesting).

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

If you're talking about Graveyard Keeper, I got that recently and it is frustrating as shit (as much as I like it). The days are too short, the stamina you have available each day is too little, and taking care of the daily bodies that arrive take up so much of that stamina if you want to properly fix them up / bury them.

And THAT GAME is definitely full of "why do I need this item" all over the place. Mostly in the way of cooking. I get that some cooking items give buffs, but for the most part it's stamina gains. Yet they're so small, time consuming, and the stamina it takes to make things is so high. The most efficient way is to grow a bunch of apple trees in your orchard, harvest it once, throw all the apples on to roast, and then you have a shitload of items to chomp down (which will absolutely last a couple of harvest cycles so you don't have to min-max your apple tree harvesting).

let me handle these in order

1: Days don't matter; you just get the Sleepy debuff when you've done enough hard labor. You can do stuff at any time with the exception of talking to some folks. After a while you'll WANT the days to go by faster so you can get to a specific day and it's specific NPC sooner

2: Stamina is insanely easy to get back. Berries and mushrooms; roast 'em. or plant carrots and throw the lot on to cook. i'm swimming in food by the end of the second week and if you get the game of crones expansion you'll soon have a whole camp of refugees cooking for you

3: YOU are in control of daily bodies. If you don't want them, don't pay the donkey. i go long loooooooong stints with handling no corpses and if you don't want to "properly" fix them up, just burn them.

Don't know what THAT GAME is so I can respond to the rest.

• Options
    That game is the same game.

Like I get the pace is meant to be different but it's so jarring. I got sold on it as a "darker, funnier Stardew Valley" and it's like... sorta true but mostly not.

As far as the refugee camp goes it sounds like a huge pain in the ass. They need a lot of water, which I only recently noticed I could build a water pump, but they need a lot of food.

• Options
    ok then no there is literally NOTHING in the game that you don't need or can't use. You may not know why you'll need it but you will. As for time consuming and stamina intensive I have no idea what you could be cooking that would be like that. Sliced beets and carrot cutlets are pretty much all i have through the entire game. I have never once made an orchard in the game

The refugee camp is literally just more game that you can handle whenever you want and it's all very very easy and provides you with tons of food and expands your inventory capacity. You don't need to provide them with anything until you're ready to start and you don't even have to start them if you don't want. they don't need much water OR food. I need to stress that there is no time limit and nothing is locked away by seasons. you do stuff that you want to do in the order you want to do them.

it really just sounds like resource gathering/crafting games are not your thing?

• Options
    it really just sounds like resource gathering/crafting games are not your thing?
    I have like 850 hours in Stardew. :P

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I have like 850 hours in Stardew. :P

i have been told repeatedly that stardew is NOT a resource gathering/crafting game and that i'm "supposed" to play it for the life sim aspect

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Stardew Valley and Graveyard Keeper are superficially similar but end up playing way differently. Even aside from the obvious tonal differences.

Graveyard Keeper is much more about production chains and teching your way up a tech tree. Getting automation to work for you is an interesting, sometimes frustrating, challenge. It also has a definite story that you have to work through by producing almost everything in the game at one point or another. Compare that to Stardew's free-form set your own goals style gameplay. Even filling the community bundles is much simpler than the main story of Graveyard Keeper. I was more compelled to play Graveyard Keeper, but it's less fun? It does evoke that "one more day" feel since you're always on the verge of finishing your next production chain, or unlocking a new tech to make something faster, or getting the correct items to advance part of the story.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    captaink wrote: »
    Stardew Valley and Graveyard Keeper are superficially similar but end up playing way differently. Even aside from the obvious tonal differences.

Graveyard Keeper is much more about production chains and teching your way up a tech tree. Getting automation to work for you is an interesting, sometimes frustrating, challenge. It also has a definite story that you have to work through by producing almost everything in the game at one point or another. Compare that to Stardew's free-form set your own goals style gameplay. Even filling the community bundles is much simpler than the main story of Graveyard Keeper. I was more compelled to play Graveyard Keeper, but it's less fun? It does evoke that "one more day" feel since you're always on the verge of finishing your next production chain, or unlocking a new tech to make something faster, or getting the correct items to advance part of the story.

i easily finished graveyard keeper but only got about halfway done with the community bundles in Stardew before i quit out of frustration. having stuff locked away by four 30 day long seasons was insanely annoying. plus i really appreciated the no romance stuff in GK, people just asked for what they needed rather than me having to dump everything in the game on them until i found out what they liked.

stardew is still one of the best games ever but GK scratches my itch real real good. production chains and tech trees are absolutely my jam.

my lady jam

Magic Pink on