Options

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, [Movie]

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Atomika wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »
    I would love a miniseries of The Silmarillion. It's an intriguing book but not entertaining. There's tons of room for a talented team to develope it and make it their own thing.

Buddy are you in luck

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_(TV_series)

Oh hell yes! It's a shame that they are apparently locked out of any content not from the Rings books themselves but there's a ton of material in the appendices.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I would love a miniseries of The Silmarillion. It's an intriguing book but not entertaining. There's tons of room for a talented team to develope it and make it their own thing.

Buddy are you in luck

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_(TV_series)

Oh hell yes! It's a shame that they are apparently locked out of any content not from the Rings books themselves but there's a ton of material in the appendices.

It’s my understanding that they have the rights to pretty much everything. The show is going to be set during the second age and (currently) considered to be in the same continuity as the films.

edit: it looks like you’re right about the Silmarillion, but with the Tolkien estate no longer under the control of Christopher Tolkien, we might see a shift in that

Atomika on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Definitely not the funniest lines, but You gotta try my Java and Reinemachefrau are pretty common sayings in our house from Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    So, Regal just announced they will be reopening July 10th. Likewise, AMC will be reopening around the same time.

https://www.regmovies.com/static/en/us/corona-virus-response
    https://www.today.com/popculture/amc-theaters-reopen-july-new-guidelines-t183843

I used to go to the movies a lot before lockdown but I can't saw I am exactly chomping at the bit to get back there. I doubt enough people will be buying tickets to keep them in business. Theaters have been taking a fucking BATH for years now, and just barely scraping by. Being closed for 3 months then reopening to empty theaters is NOT what they needed right now. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong, but I think Coronavirus will be the death knell for the traditional theater distribution system.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Give me a good movie and I will go see it in theaters still over paying the 20 for renting (at theaters you can make it a date when your theater is in one of those entertainment plazas with restaurants and shops). But looking at the Regal app right now the only movie I want to see is Bill and Ted 3 and that's in August.

Lionsgate should be smart and drop Hitman's Bodyguard 2 for 4th of July and it will make hella skrilla yo, motherfucker.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    So, Regal just announced they will be reopening July 10th. Likewise, AMC will be reopening around the same time.

https://www.regmovies.com/static/en/us/corona-virus-response
    https://www.today.com/popculture/amc-theaters-reopen-july-new-guidelines-t183843

I used to go to the movies a lot before lockdown but I can't saw I am exactly chomping at the bit to get back there. I doubt enough people will be buying tickets to keep them in business. Theaters have been taking a fucking BATH for years now, and just barely scraping by. Being closed for 3 months then reopening to empty theaters is NOT what they needed right now. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong, but I think Coronavirus will be the death knell for the traditional theater distribution system.

I swear I heard AMC said they are pretty much fucked. Like opening up without movies will just pretty much put the nails in.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    I'm definitely going back to the theaters first chance provided I don't have to sit near people, and I usually don't because I like to sit near the front in showings that don't tend to sell well in the first place.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Da Five Bloods is exquisite and the more i think about it the better it gets

For real spoiler
    at first i was thinking that its remarkably causal about the events that happen in the present, at the end of the movie. But then i realize that the events didnt really happen. Not in a way that matters at least. Because the people that died in nam the second time had already died in nam the first time. They just didnt know it yet. And so the people who survived had already come to grips with that fact.

There are probably 3 to 4 thematic threads and the movie works on all of them. As a personal tale as a morality tale as a call to action and as a reconsiliation

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    My brain is so fried lately that I’ve been unable to identify so many of the replies in this thread:

Except for this one, I do remember this iconic role of Diedrich’s:

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Beorn was my favorite character from the book and i was pretty mad at how he was done dirty in the movie version, with that crap CGI making him look like a goofy monster.

He’s just a regular dude who turns into a bear! There was no need to embellish that!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    My only dislike of the film is a personal one. There are like 5+ points the movie could end and the fact that it doesnt end at one of them irks me on an aesthetic level. The fact that it doesnt end in those points ends up tying up what would otherwise be loose ends and finishes the other themes, one by one, where a smash cut to credits could work. The part of me that really loves the ending to the Soprannos really wanted that to happen.

But at the same time this is a Spike Lee joint; released at a particularly fortuitous time. It just kind of simmers there at the end. As if life itself boiling over outside your window is the proper end to the film.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    chaosbearchaosbear Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The best Steve Martin films are The Man With Two Brains and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

fdqlbj30i7gx.gif

Has he made anything watchable this millennium? Bowfinger was 1999

I found The Big Year watchable, though definitely not amongst his best.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I'm halfway through John Wick 3
    they just got to the desert
    and I don't know if it's the same creative team but it feels like a much looser version of the franchise. The opening set of fights in particular feel like a lot of fight choreography just for the sake of the choreography. It tightens up once you get past the excommunicado but for the most part it's been a lesser imitation of the O club scene in John Wick.

Carpy on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I'm currently halfway through Uncut Gems, and while I recognize that it's well made and appreciated its achievements, i'm really not enjoying myself at all. It's stressful and exhausting to watch, and while I understand that's the point, it's just not my bag. I had to pause and finish it up tomorrow.

But, uh.

Good job, Sandler.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Big Year rules. Its insane how much money they sunk into a flick about birding. It's pleasant as hell.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I'm currently halfway through Uncut Gems, and while I recognize that it's well made and appreciated its achievements, i'm really not enjoying myself at all. It's stressful and exhausting to watch, and while I understand that's the point, it's just not my bag. I had to pause and finish it up tomorrow.

But, uh.

Good job, Sandler.

Apparently Sandler said if he did not win an Oscar for best actor he would make a terrible movie as payback. Someone decided to help him by analyzing all of Sandlers movies to come up with the worst possible Sandler movie.
    Jacked Up
    Directed by Dennis Dugan
    Written By - Tim Herlihy
    PG-13
    Running Time: 135 minutes
    Released on Netflix
    Predicted Tomatometer score - 6%
    Predicted IMDb score - 3.75

Adam Sandler plays a personal trainer/shoe salesman named Jack Goodheart who is married to Janet Goodheart (Also, Sandler, using a very off-putting voice). They travel to an exclusive resort in Costa Rica to attend his 30th high school anniversary during the fourth of July weekend. During the event, Rob Schneider (playing a terrorist) and his team of henchmen, hijack the event and take everyone hostage, including State Senator Chuck Finley (Terry Crews) and presidential candidate Casey Fitzpatrick (Maya Rudolph). During the melee, Jack and Janet escape, and the two use their past military experience and buff physiques to save the day. This PG-13 action-comedy is entitled “Jacked Up” and ends with a jet ski chase at the hotel’s lazy river pool that circles the hotel. The film is directed by Dennis Dugan, and co-stars Kevin James, Chris Rock, David Spade, Salma Hayek, Terry Crews, Steve Buscemi, Taylor Lautner, Luke Wilson, Peter Dinklage, Maya Rudolph, and Al Pacino.

Link to full post:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/ha4t7t/adam_sandler_said_he_would_make_a_terrible_film/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Kruite wrote: »
    Yes, what is Gandalf's true name and where can one find that passage; I've scoured the Silmarilion and can't find it.

It's in Two Towers:
    "Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Dwarves, Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not."

"I went by Graham Sparkles when I was briefly the singer in a prog-rock band in my twenties, my AOL name was Gandalf6478 because a bunch of posers got there first, my Steamtag is YouShallKickAss, I'm a little proud of that one, my Tindr handle is..."

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

But, uh.

Good job, Sandler.

Apparently Sandler said if he did not win an Oscar for best actor he would make a terrible movie as payback. Someone decided to help him by analyzing all of Sandlers movies to come up with the worst possible Sandler movie.
    Jacked Up
    Directed by Dennis Dugan
    Written By - Tim Herlihy
    PG-13
    Running Time: 135 minutes
    Released on Netflix
    Predicted Tomatometer score - 6%
    Predicted IMDb score - 3.75

Adam Sandler plays a personal trainer/shoe salesman named Jack Goodheart who is married to Janet Goodheart (Also, Sandler, using a very off-putting voice). They travel to an exclusive resort in Costa Rica to attend his 30th high school anniversary during the fourth of July weekend. During the event, Rob Schneider (playing a terrorist) and his team of henchmen, hijack the event and take everyone hostage, including State Senator Chuck Finley (Terry Crews) and presidential candidate Casey Fitzpatrick (Maya Rudolph). During the melee, Jack and Janet escape, and the two use their past military experience and buff physiques to save the day. This PG-13 action-comedy is entitled “Jacked Up” and ends with a jet ski chase at the hotel’s lazy river pool that circles the hotel. The film is directed by Dennis Dugan, and co-stars Kevin James, Chris Rock, David Spade, Salma Hayek, Terry Crews, Steve Buscemi, Taylor Lautner, Luke Wilson, Peter Dinklage, Maya Rudolph, and Al Pacino.

Link to full post:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/ha4t7t/adam_sandler_said_he_would_make_a_terrible_film/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Are we sure this isn't a joke movie from Tropic Thunder?

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2020
    I finished Uncut Gems. It is 135 minutes of an unlikable asshole yelling into his phone.

I think this is one of those examples of someone deciding to make a thing, and succeeding at making that thing, and me just not liking the thing that they made. The protagonist is the angry, entitled, shouting dickhead from any of Sandler's works, but played straight. If Happy Gilmore existed in real life, he would be Howard Ratner.

One read of this movie is that Howard attracts all these characters into his orbit on the strength of his charisma, and I think it's this read that justifies his mistress having anything to do with him, and him managing to have scored a wife somehow. I don't buy this read, though, because Howard has no redeeming qualities save a delirious and exhausting optimism, which leads me to believe everyone in the film is just part of the same perpetual Rube Goldberg grift that drives Howard. Nobody likes him, but they all feel they can use him.

The first read is implausible because I can't imagine anyone wanting to share airspace with this guy long enough to form a relationship. And the second is so deeply, nihilstically cynical that I would rather not contemplate it too much.

I guess I'm glad I watched it, but I think I need a drink and a nap.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Howards delerious optimsim is his charisma. And it generally works out for him in the short run. That is why his life is falling apart. He does not settle once he has won a wager. But he still has won a few wagers, as he does during the movie. And he could have stopped there and been happy with what he had but he had to bet it all again.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I mean, I get his motivation. I just don't buy anyone would choose to be around him for any period of time outside of financial gain, because he's fiercely unpleasant and/or blatantly phony to everyone.

And regardless, it's just not enjoyable to watch someone like that for 2+ hours.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    I don't have any experience with gambling addicts, but it seems at least plausible to presume that Howard might have been somewhat more stable and reasonable earlier in his life, like when his wife married him.

They were definitely dropping hints that the mistress was just taking advantage of him... and then they flip that, by having her show tremendous trust in Howard by putting herself in danger to place that crazy bet for him.

I'm not sure how seriously we're supposed to take the supernatural aspect of the stone, either. That could be part of why people still want to be around him?

• Options
    I didn't take it seriously at all. It was a pretty rock and sometimes people get spiritually attached to random things for random reasons.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Also many professional athletes are superstitious.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »
    I don't have any experience with gambling addicts, but it seems at least plausible to presume that Howard might have been somewhat more stable and reasonable earlier in his life, like when his wife married him.

They were definitely dropping hints that the mistress was just taking advantage of him... and then they flip that, by having her show tremendous trust in Howard by putting herself in danger to place that crazy bet for him.

I'm not sure how seriously we're supposed to take the supernatural aspect of the stone, either. That could be part of why people still want to be around him?

In a more traditional Hollywood narrative Howard would hit rock bottom and the last ten minutes would be spent examining his life after going to counseling or making amends or whatever.

Because of how the movie ends that point was still yet to come however.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    The best Steve Martin films are The Man With Two Brains and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

fdqlbj30i7gx.gif

Has he made anything watchable this millennium? Bowfinger was 1999
    I mean, his banjo playing is top notch, as usual. That's entertaining and watchable.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Steve Martin I think prefers music to filmmaking now. Especially since he wasted his Bowfinger revival momentum making shit like Cheaper by the Dozen. I don't know why in those early 00s so many people wasted their potential making shit like that and Pluto Nash.

Murphy is the biggest crime because he was just on fire. Him and Bill Murray. And while I blame Murray for now forever denying us the Ghostbusters III we wanted, he at least used his potential pretty wisely (Garfield sequels not withstanding), while Murphy has not been in anything good since Bowfinger as well (I don't count Shrek because it's just voice acting and he wasn't the star) and before Bowfinger you have to go back 11 years to get to Coming to America. He was a comedy genius and he squandered it. I guess there is Dolemite is my Name, but it's not those old school blockbusters he was doing.

I like Harlem Nights btw, but it's objectively not a great film.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Just a reminder for the daywalkers among you, the hobbit project is finally finished

By this rate, I’ll have my Star Wars project finished sometime around 2038

How or where could we see this? I only saw The Hobbit once and all I remember is bird-poop wizard and a chase sequence that looked liked a Benny Hill bit (I think it was the high frame rate thing they were doing).

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Isn't Benny Hill a low framerate, but sped up?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I can't even read his name without hearing the song

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Yeah, and the result is remarkably similar to the action scenes in the high frame rate version of The Hobbit. I saw a decent explanation for it once, something to do with motion blurring (or lack thereof).

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

But, uh.

Good job, Sandler.

The ending was really something

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Also the music reminded me of late 80s early 90s education vhs tapes you’d watch in class

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Eddie Murphy's rise and fall is crazy

Like when he was on he was one of the most charismatic dudes I've ever seen on a screen. Like, insanely great. He was one of the coolest dudes in the world and he was just a skinny normal lookin' guy.

Aaand then he wasn't.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Become a successful household name, and then get offered a bunch of boring movies with inflated budgets.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I recently watched buffalo 66 and these are two great scenes. One because of Yes soundtracks it perfectly and one because it’s hilarious
    First clip NSFW for boobs
    https://youtu.be/36tXOm0LGAE

https://youtu.be/AismFDcA0Kk

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Just a reminder for the daywalkers among you, the hobbit project is finally finished

By this rate, I’ll have my Star Wars project finished sometime around 2038

How or where could we see this? I only saw The Hobbit once and all I remember is bird-poop wizard and a chase sequence that looked liked a Benny Hill bit (I think it was the high frame rate thing they were doing).

All of that is cut out of my version

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    AMC is not going to require masks for people coming back, and yeah fucking nope to that.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Now rewatching Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid after bringing it up. I dunno what the funniest line Steve Martin’s ever delivered is, but “I hadn’t seen a body put together like that since I solved the case of the murdered girl with the big tits” is well up there.

I've always loved how pissed he gets at the kindergartner giving a diagnosis in Man With Two Brains:

https://youtu.be/7-a2QBfFQeA

I can't unsee that his delivery is completely obscured while she delivers hers completely for the camera.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I still maintain that the "You're going the wrong way!" joke in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is a perfectly executed gag. From Candy's explanation, through Martin's sleepy acceptance, all the way through the payoff. It's a joke that just keeps building. They were both brilliant comedians.

Atlas in Chains on
This discussion has been closed.