Options

PC Games - Ancient Enemy & GameDev Beatdown out today!

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Gotta finish this workout first but shit shit HL: Alyx just unlocked for me.

Still says preload for me, not install. The store page says unlocks in 17 hours.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    It tricked me. It patched, button switched from pre-load to play, but nothing happens when I click it.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Built my first Manufacturers in Satisfactory, gotta get Computer and heavy frame manufacturing going. Also I am currently rebuilding my iron infrastructure after getting rid of the begging spaghetti before the patch. Doing a multi-tier fabrication plant. Happily I have a few hard drives so I'm going to save scum for the good heavy frame alt recipe.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    without getting into the weeds with, like, full guides and such

how intuitive is the marriage game in CK2?

I've heard things like 'eugenics' and 'congenital traits' thrown around, so I have the impression it's fairly involved. Can I make reasonable assumptions, though, like, "the girl's educator has a high learning score, so there's a greater chance she'll excel"? Or, "her father and mother are poor stewards; probably that skill won't increase quickly"

Or is it just esoteric and involved to the point where you can't reason it out without, like, datamining and guides?

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Traits like Strong or Genius, or negative traits like lisp' have a chance to come down from either parent. There are no recessive genes.

When a child is born the game checks the family tree for overlapping great grandparents. The more overlap, the higher the chance of the inbred trait.

Children get events based on their education and focus. Non-inherited traits increase the chance of an event fire that passed on the trait. This is why you usually want to educate the heirs yourself. Control over the choices.

Bad traits in childhood lower the chance of a good education outcome. And vice versa.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Since my Oculus Link cable has vanished, I guess I’ll be testing how good Virtual Desktop is with HL Alex.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I wish my pc was stronk enough for vr

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Pikuniku was fun and charming, then I got to a screen that required me to kick a ball across a gap and after about half an hour of trying I gave up and uninstalled it.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Iolo inspired me to dig through my collection of miscellaneous things I am not super interested in from Humble Bundle and a few other sources.

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

These are open to the PA Adventure Club and the PA general groups (since I am in both and it seemed the easiest way to filter the giveaways). Let me know if you need an invite and if you are a regular forumer I'll see what I can do about getting you one.

The winners for these (already contacted via other means) are as follows:

Planet Alpha: Gear Girl
    Override: Mech City Brawl: TreadLife
    Space hulk: Ascension: FishMist

And now that I've freed those up and one of the games has been claimed, there's another one up from the depths of my Humble Store key backlog:

signature.png

ALL REVIEWS: Very Positive (242)
    Steam Page wrote:
    Nominated as a IGF Seamus McNally Finalist, NightSky is an ambient action-puzzle game that offers a gameplay experience unlike any other—cerebral challenges fill uniquely designed picturesque worlds. The player must maneuver a sphere by using realistic physics to advance; each of these worlds is broken into different areas. The original soundtrack by experimental jazz musician, Chris Schlarb will further heighten the surreal experience.

Key features:
    • 2D platform/puzzle-based gameplay
    • Advanced 2D physics model
    • Multiple difficulties with unique topography
    • 11 massive levels, each with expansive areas to explore
    • Multiple “vehicles” each with specific uses and dynamics physics
    • Additional secrets and unlockables

This is open the the PA Adventure Team group as before because I don't know how to restrict this to fewer than "Everyone" or "an existing group to which I already belong".

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    without getting into the weeds with, like, full guides and such

how intuitive is the marriage game in CK2?

I've heard things like 'eugenics' and 'congenital traits' thrown around, so I have the impression it's fairly involved. Can I make reasonable assumptions, though, like, "the girl's educator has a high learning score, so there's a greater chance she'll excel"? Or, "her father and mother are poor stewards; probably that skill won't increase quickly"

Or is it just esoteric and involved to the point where you can't reason it out without, like, datamining and guides?

Oh, when people talk about eugenics, they mostly mean matching up people with good traits and making sure your strong genius son becomes your heir

Sometimes it's more useful to marry for claims though

Also even a quick kid can have a bad education outcome

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    My work in progress Main Factory area. I have iron materials production going on the right, one whole floor dedicated to screws using the ingot->screw alt recipe, next floor is going to produce materials for modular frames which will be assembled on the top floor of the left hand side building, and fed down to one of the manufacturers on the middle floor to be used in heavy frame manufacture. The Central factory is taking an oil input from the western oil fields and is currently producing rubber, plastic and waste fuel or whatever its called (purple). The Plastic is being used to make circuit boards and sent directly to one of the manufacturers to make computers.

So much work for automation! At least I'm keeping it somewhat clean, and above ground level for the most part.

qonsmckwt2tb.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I finished up on Valkyria Chronicles 4, not 100% it, but not going to. I liked 1 a lot, main issue there was that a lot of missions to get the best rank, you just run a scout to their basecamp and touch the flag. No matter the 5000 enemy tanks still on the map that will blast that scout into oblivion next turn. Especially as one of your scouts was also a super-unit that was basically best at everything.

4 still has that problem (never played 2 and 3, cause they are not on Steam.), but the writing really jumped off a cliff. Now 1 was a while ago, so I don't remember the writing that much, but 4 seems to turn up the anime bullshit to eleven for a lot of things. Also... we're the baddies, right? I mean the other side is also the baddies, but we're at least as terribe.
    Gameplay wise, I still like the core gameplay, shame that so many missions decide to throw in "surprise reinforcements teleport in all over the map.", making it less of a tactical game but more "know what is going to happen in advance".
    Grenadiers are new to me and I like them, Lancers are still rarely used (and once you get the right orders, not used at all.)

The menu's: I don't need all the vocal confirmations within every menu whenever I level a troop up though with the exact same line that I have leveled up a troop or that I have built an upgrade for some tech. I get that that's VC's thing, but come on, let's speed this up a bit.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    So I spent the last week and a half or so sick as a dog with a non-Covid infection, and basically had zero energy to play games. The last day or so I finally have gained the stamina to play and have been working on my new Satisfactory save.

EDFfN0W.jpg?1

Future factory floor above the west end of the canyon. Resources will be brought in from the cliffs to the south where all the sweet pure nodes are. This should cover me through steel and into early plastics/oil tech, with the resources that are nearby. Power generation will happen on a lower level nearer the water to reduce piping. Should be easy to run a rail line east to the big oil shallows, and I have pretty easy access to the dunes and desert when it comes time to hunt for hard drives. Bauxite will be the first thing I really need to travel for.

mmPAY0k.jpg?1

I also made a sublayer just for running belts, so I can keep the upper area tidy, and then put in glass floors for cool views.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    No I'm not done with Eternal yet I need time!

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Yeah I need some time too maybe like five years when I can steal a discarded VR headset and gaming pc out a dumpster

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Your pretty factories are very inspiring, and is making me up my game from just conveyor spaghetti and sprawling chaos.

Damn you both!

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Yeah I need some time too maybe like five years when I can steal a discarded VR headset and gaming pc out a dumpster

I think if this came out when the Vive was initially released I would have driven to America and sold blood until I could afford one

As it stands I have a PSVR kit that alternates between a weekend of use and collecting dust every six weeks or so, so the cost of upgrading my PC enough to play it isn't really drawing me in

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    @MuddBudd I think we might have our factories in the same spot?

There's like three pure iron nodes on the cliff, and it overlooks a bunch of oil and coal right?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'm a longer USB 3.0 cable away from being able to play Alyx, but I just decided I want to replay through the entire series first

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I forgot when the index stuff was going back on sale so I was 30 minutes late and my knuckle controller order still says 3 to 5 weeks till shipping so I'll play Alyx in 3 to 5 weeks. I can wait.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts on Disco Elysium. I'm definitely going to keep in on my radar/wishlist, but I don't think I am in the right mindset/mood for it given current events.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Stock on current events has a pronounced downwards trend

• Options
    Stock on current events has a pronounced downwards trend

gotta make your fun where you can

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I forgot when the index stuff was going back on sale so I was 30 minutes late and my knuckle controller order still says 3 to 5 weeks till shipping so I'll play Alyx in 3 to 5 weeks. I can wait.

I tried to order one within a minute of them being available again and got shipping in 3 to 5 weeks. I cancelled it and bought a Vive Cosmos instead because I'm a dumb butt that doesn't want to wait.

• Options

maybe fallout 76 was just ahead of its time

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Hell is: Working from home while a new Half-Life game comes out. I can't even sneak a little bit on the side because it's VR.

Totally playing some Doom during my lunch hour though.
    JayKaos wrote: »
    No I'm not done with Eternal yet I need time!

Dear god, this.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

People creating something more exciting and interesting than what the developers did? In a Bethesda game?!

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Man, what people do in their private life is none of my business, just tell me about what they do in the game.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Since Doom dumped my ass, I have time to figure out how to mount these VR sensors without drilling holes into the damn walls.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Since Doom dumped my ass, I have time to figure out how to mount these VR sensors without drilling holes into the damn walls.

Get yourself some command strips (double check the weight of the sensors first); they are super easy to use and can be removed without damaging the walls.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    if you got a big enough tv stand thing, you can put them on that. My friend only has his sitting like, three or four feet apart and it seems to work.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Get yourself some command strips (double check the weight of the sensors first); they are super easy to use and can be removed without damaging the walls.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards this. I heard the vibrations from the sensors could be a concern, but it'll probably do until/if I decide on something sturdier.

• Options
    get a spouse or loved one to stand very still
    and hold it up for you

finally vr that can be enjoyed by the whole family

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Because everyone loves them so much, more EGS exclusives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnLJY0EwsSY

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Hearing that they triple down on the horror in Alyx has solidified I will never play it, I can't even handle the horror in regular Half-Life

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Command strips do work well but they can be expensive. Drilling holes in the wall then getting a small amount of putty and color matching the smallest thing of paint at home depot can be hella cheap, if you already have the tools anyway.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »

Command strips do work well but they can be expensive. Drilling holes in the wall then getting a small amount of putty and color matching the smallest thing of paint at home depot can be hella cheap, if you already have the tools anyway.

Def, and I did drill those sumbitches in the last place, but I am never comfortable putting drywall holes in rentals, you know? Kind of a weird me thing rather than a practical/time thing.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Your rental is probably going to charge your deposit to repaint the place when you leave anyway.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
This discussion has been closed.