Options

PC Games - Ancient Enemy & GameDev Beatdown out today!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So about 2-3 hours into Alyx and here's what I accomplished:

1. Used the markers in the very first scene to draw dicks and boobs on the glass window.
    2. Spent a full minute inspecting the exquisite materials for a ceramic glass, seriously that was the best god damned glass I have ever seen.
    3. Yelling at my cat who was also yelling at me back while trying not to step on her (in meatspace, not VR).
    4. Attempted to juggle several cans. I did not succeed.
    5. Staring out into City 17. Seriously, this game is fuckin pretty.
    6. Again inspecting this 1911-like piece this dude tossed over, and as someone who has fired 1911s before... it's not quite the same but fuck it, it's convincing enough.
    7. Failing to shoot these fucking headcrabs with said 1911 HOLY FUCK HEADCRABS ARE SCARY AF WTF
    8. SQUEEZING THE STRAP SO HARD THAT I DROPPED THE MAG
    9. TRYING TO FIND THAT GOD DAMNED MAGAZINE BECAUSE IT WAS THE LAST ONE
    10. IN TOTAL DARKNESS
    11. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

this game is p ok

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Fuck's sake, Cyberpunk 2077 has the Masterpiece tag.

THE GAME WON'T BE OUT FOR 6 MONTHS

Yeah, was about to say "Hate to break it to you but but Half Life: Alyx had that tag since the day it was announced" (and also Cyberpunk). Gamers.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Speaking of VR, I've been using my lockdown time to do VR games.

SUPER HOT SUPER HOT SUPER HOT VR
    Good, better than the PC version though also a lot easier. A few niggling issues but it has less than the PC version. When you die you can still interact with the world. Which I think was done to not shock the player with a sudden loss of life, but it does lead to weird situations where you and the last guy killed each other simultaneously and then restart the level. I've even had situations where the next stage starts loading and then I'm booted back to the start of the level. So can be a bit confusing.

TABLETOP SIMULATOR
    Played a little bit of soliatre to get used to the controls. I need to mess around with some custom controls as its a bit alien. Instead of using the trigger for your default select, you use the centre of the trackpad? It's a bit weird. There's a few more controls and shortcuts I need to learn, but I've got a basic understanding of the controls now, which should come in handy.

BUDGET CUTS
    Went to start game but au ware ake, nothing happened. I've verified my game so it might work next time I start it up, but if it doesn't then I'll just refund it.

SPRINT VECTOR
    Only did the tutorial and the intermediate and advanced tutorial before I hopped off. But I love the bright glowing aesthetic. The game is a little more complicated than expected. I was sold on a fluid simple locomotion system and it has that but it is also quite deep and I feel like I might be left floundering when I jump into the multiplayer.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Well you’re in luck because (un)fortunately sprint vectors multiplayer is pretty dead.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    d2eorictq8ua.png
    Child of Light for free at Uplay (available in 2 hours):
    https://register.ubisoft.com/child-of-light/

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    Well you’re in luck because (un)fortunately sprint vectors multiplayer is pretty dead.
    I gifted it to my brother in law so we can at least do some 2 player, although he might be busy arresting people breaking lockdown. Another VR friend was pretty keen on it but he sold his VR to buy a Index, but that hasn't come out yet. Incidentally, that's also why I haven't go around to Alyx, I wanna play it with the new controllers, but, can't get 'em.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Child of Light is a fun, beautiful little JRPG

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    I checked to see whether any of the Bubsy games have the Masterpiece tag but it's only Psychological Horror

Also Bubsy Goes Fourth has only 25 reviews which makes me think it probably flopped

I do wish you could see the review count as a percentage of actual players

seeing 10,000 reviews, 'mixed' on a game that sold 100,000 copies means something different than seeing 100 'bad' reviews on a game that sold the same.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I'd assume that the number of reviews scales linearly with copies sold.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Generally the more passionate people are the higher % of them review it. See angry review bombing.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    if reviews are hidden (e.g., filling out a survey at a restaurant or after calling your ISP) then there's some conventional math to guess at how many positive reviews you'll get. I forget the numbers, but they aren't great. Negative reviews are easier to come by. And that math doesn't always work out, because there will be long dry spells of no reviews (there are some caveats to this).

I suspect that because the reviews are visible, that changes the dynamic dramatically. A positive-leaning reviewer might say, "oh there's already lots of positive reviews, I don't need to add anything"; conversely, someone part of a review bomb might not normally leave reviews, or even have strong feelings one way or the other, which means the number of reviews has changed in proportion to the copies sold.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Multiverse is an online video game platform making it as easy as possible to make, play, stream, and share tabletop role-playing games, with a creator focused marketplace.
    For every one nerd who plays table top games, there are are ten more who would if getting started was just more intuitive. Jump into your next adventure with friends, whether they're across the table or across the world, in a click.

Join your friends from anywhere: In-game voice and video, as well as text chat.
    No Math, No Manuals: Get straight into the storytelling. No need to memorize rules and stats, seamlessly combine the function of video games with all the freedom of tabletop role-play.
    Become the story you want to see: An inclusive and expansive pixel character creator, easily customizable, with an engine to support designs of your own!
    Bring the battle to the screen: Watch every hit land with our ever-growing library of combat animations.
    All the tools to craft the ultimate adventure: Design levels, story flow, interactions, with ease and without compromise. Set the stage, prep a puzzle, lay some traps...
    See the world through your characters eyes: With every player on their own screen you can get creative. Same game— different gameplay!
    Keep the story at your fingertips: A sleek customizable interface to fit your play style.
    The Marketplace: Build the stories you want to play and share them instantly to the Marketplace for other players to purchase. Illustrators, pixel artists, sound designers, writers, etc — Multiverse grows with you.
    Twitch Streaming: Stream directly from within Multiverse, play with your viewers directly with in-game features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwoNLrf4_qw

anyway, a message from the creative team:

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Now gimme friends who obey my schedule.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Huh, that seems very interesting.

I'm also deeply skeptical that it's just the creator tools that we've seen with stuff like Neverwinter Nights being spun out into their own game. Which isn't bad, per se, but it does make me pretty leery. Like, they talk a bunch about it being a freeform RPG where you won't need to spend a while learning the rules, but what are those rules?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'd tell you, but unfortunately that would violate the first and second rules of Multiverse.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Like what I would expect based on everything they've shown is a somewhat stripped down version of D&D mechanics, with maybe some more video gamey features added in as well.

Which honestly might be quite good! It doesn't sound like a bad idea at all for a videogame, and if the creator tools/prebuilt adventures are good for GMs, I think it has some serious potential. But also part of their pitch is saying things like:
    Multiverse is an online video game platform making it as easy as possible to make, play, stream, and share tabletop role-playing games, with a creator focused marketplace.

Which isn't really true, at least in my mind. There are some similarities to tabletop role-playing games in their system, but that seems to heavily imply that you can share your existing games with your friends, which they've elsewhere said is not the case.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Fuck's sake, Cyberpunk 2077 has the Masterpiece tag.

THE GAME WON'T BE OUT FOR 6 MONTHS

Or... it is already out.

It is... a matter of perspective.

• Options
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Bleeding Edge has a pretty big issue right now where one of its game modes is just complete garbage so every match is a coin toss for if any fun will be had

• Options
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    How/where do you get a Steam key? Not that I'm that bothered about it, especially not with a free game, but I'm more likely to remember I own it if it's in my Steam list.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Glal wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    How/where do you get a Steam key? Not that I'm that bothered about it, especially not with a free game, but I'm more likely to remember I own it if it's in my Steam list.

seems like the system for that is a little wonky

good cause, though

Brolo on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just got through a part in HL:Alyx with a long creepy hallway with closed doors on all sides and stopped right when I saw it and was like, oh fuck.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Streamer pranked by his dad while playing Alyx: https://clips.twitch.tv/SneakyUgliestFalconPanicBasket

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    so while stuck at home i've been playing Sonic Robo Blast 2 and... finally, finally I found a Sonic game I actually like. And I don't even like the games everybody likes like Sonic & Knuckles! So... it's pretty good! And it's free. Which is helpful when the economy is going to shit.

The main website for it, requires torrent software to download and play.
    https://www.srb2.org/

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So I read spoilers and unfortunately it sounds like the $1500 Half-Life game has a pretty goddamn cool story

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I'm really liking the Watcher in Slay the Spire. I'm absolute rubbish with them, but I love the theme of the character.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just got to part of HL:Alyx where there is a stealth section from a thing that can't see you but can hear you. Also you have to cover your mouth and it is pitch black.

Fuck. I'm literally crawling on the floor of my room.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I gave Moss a go. Very cute. But... I think I have an issue with my trackpad. Its not really an issue on other games which tend to not use the trackpad, but Moss heavily relies on trackpad movement. I do love that it is a third person game, VR needs way more of those. It's fun to be the character in first person, but it is also very fun to watch a character and to be able to lean in and look around the world. It's kinda like the perfect video game cutscene. All of the cinematics but none of the camera being rudely taken away from you.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    @MuddBudd I think we might have our factories in the same spot?

There's like three pure iron nodes on the cliff, and it overlooks a bunch of oil and coal right?

Western end of the canyon where it hits the river, right? It's become one my favorite spots because of those iron nodes, pure copper nodes also right there, and pure limestone on the pillar there (you can see it in my screenshot). Plus a pure coal node just to the west, with more normal coal nodes on the other side of the river, and yes, a few oil nodes on the other side of the canyon. There's also Sulfur and Caterite to the south down in the foresty area.

Yeah we 100% built in the exact same spot

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    So I read spoilers and unfortunately it sounds like the $1500 Half-Life game has a pretty goddamn cool story

I just read spoilers
    What the fuck, I'm actually kinda annoyed they did that

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I sure wish I lived in an place big enough/had a couple hundred dollars of spare cash lying around to play this new half life game.

More like Half Life 3% of steam users can actually play this thing.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I've only put about 3 hours into this game, but you could easily have built a version of this game styled after HL2 that didn't require VR. You'd lose a bunch of hte interactions, but to be honest, none of them have struck me as being so essential to the experience that it'd invalidate a non-VR version.

I can think of one bit that not being in VR would have completely failed to have an impact on me, and given it was scaring the shit out of me when I wasn't expecting it, I'm totally fine with that not existing.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Shenzen I/O

Loading...?

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Project Warlock
    Loading...?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »