Schedule announcements for PAX West, Personal Concerns and Recent Incidence

JeffstaJeffsta Registered User regular
With PAX East 2020 in the books I was wondering how long it takes from here before the dates are available for PAX West. This is more of a higher level of important provisions to be aware of than I was planning for due to the coronavirus incidence and possible risks in pertinence to certain personal issues that I have which could legitimately affect my decision on whether or not to proceed this year as I originally planned. So because of this, just having an idea of when the announcement comes out will probably be the deciding factor in whether or not to proceed given how the first casualty reports were literally reported in Washington state.


  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    May/June usually

  • JeffstaJeffsta Registered User regular
    edited March 7
    Which considering the circumstances is probably not a good idea to plan as scheduled owing to how things are going with this. I'm afraid that we'll probably all be facing a glut of "non-essential" advisories by then, and with both Emerald City and SXSW now having been called off within the past several hours or so I have no doubt that the rest of the year is going to be completely blank in terms of attendance for these events so unfortunately I won't be planning for this as I originally intended to. Thanks for the info, even despite that I no longer have any interest in going until at least 2022 (if we're lucky).

    EDIT: Further to the point, I just realized that I have serious doubts that it's even going to be worth it until then anyway, considering that all of the good stuff is going to be at least two years out because of this (which is also if we're lucky). I totally expect that with all the delays, cancellation lists and even the supply chain that we're looking at a very late start of the next generation of gaming hardware to begin with.

    EDIT 2: I'm also willing to admit that I have a tendency to be exaggerative on these matters (so I would probably take my comment on this with several grains of salt), but with the nature of the situation it's also not out of the question.

    Jeffsta on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Keep in mind that it’ll be summer by then, which could stop the virus cold. It may come roaring back in the following fall/winter, but that’s unlikely to affect West.

    So, make plans, but don’t lay any money down for anything unless you 100% know you can get a full refund if West is cancelled.

  • JeffstaJeffsta Registered User regular
    edited March 8
    @Sterica Even so, I think it is a matter of time for my honest position. I just got reading a news update on how the Washington state government is already considering an even more in-depth precautionary adjustment, so from my analysis on the way it's been stated that it's safe to say that all bets are off this year. Even with the current alert level they can't legally proceed with Emerald City (and the same has already happened to SXSW) so I wouldn't even count on it happening at this point. Even GDC is probably going to be online only if they can even find a makeup date and who knows what will happen to E3 which already seems has an identity problem.

    Ultimately the TL/DR and bottom line is that I wouldn't hold out for anything this year beyond video presentation wars (seriously, just phase out E3 at this point, hold a best newsreel contest between the big three and save the in-person until PAX East 2022)[1].

    EDIT: The prospect of the situation is not guaranteed either, since it's still so new and we don't have the information to even support that outcome yet (if at all). Again, Seattle is basically on lockdown at the present time which has effectively killed any chance of Emerald City happening by force majure.[2] So obviously it's not going to be unreasonable to suspect that the continued planning for PAX West is also impossible because of the situation.

    EDIT 2: While I do stand by my comment here, when during ordinary circumstances would you suspect that the dates for PAX West will actually occur based on past scheduling? That way I can at least have something to work with, just in case we get spared by then (even though I have my doubts at this point). Furthermore, I can always go with a backup option if necessary (DreamHack, PAX East etc.) so obviously I'm not as concerned about my original plan at this point.

    1. Honestly speaking, I'm actually exaggerating this somewhat. But even then it's not unreasonable to expect.
    2. Source: CBS News

    Jeffsta on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    PAX West is generally Labor Day (US) weekend. If not that, then the weekend before or after. Things are usually announced in May/June.

    I think that being cautious about booking anything that can't be refunded is smart, and otherwise we just have to wait and see.

  • JeffstaJeffsta Registered User regular
    And I think we can write off 2020 thanks to the recent order of 250 or less for ANY public building. Inslee just made it official so I don't think we're going to have PAX West this year, and I would be very unsurprised if an official statement comes earlier than normal to back this up.

    Case closed, and I will not respond further. Thanks again for the input on this.

  • anettie76anettie76 OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 12
    Large groups of 250+ is cancelled for only 4 weeks only in Oregon! PAX is 6 months away. Not sure why the obsession with worrying about it now. We haven't gotten confirmed dates for PAX West yet, tickets usually don't go on sale till late May. By then this could all be waived and over. I'm not writing off PAX yet.

    anettie76 on
  • Wandering_1Wandering_1 Registered User new member
    I miss when they used to announce the dates for next year on the last date of the current PAX.
    That being said I already have my hotel room for Labor Day weekend and really hope those will be the dates even though it is a little late this year (Sep 4-7).

    What concerns me more is that they have rescheduled ECCC for 2 weeks prior to that (Aug 21-24). That leaves just a little over a week between ECCC ending and PAX Dev starting.

  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... ... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited March 16
    Dev isn't even in the convention center. Last year it was in the Westin. Load in for the WSCC usually takes place during Dev.

    ASimPerson on
    SE++ Forum Battle Archive | PDT is not PST | DRUNKSTUCK: A Homestuck recap
  • JeffstaJeffsta Registered User regular
    edited March 16
    Seriously? Two weeks apart?!

    If it was my call I would simply cancel the first one and pool resources for the other. It could legitimately be a rather outlandish setup by the usual PAX standards (and possibly even a mix of apples and oranges) but it would probably be more efficient to have a bit of both at the same time. Setting up twice for comparable events is pushing it, especially when Dev already rolls directly into West and is usually the same time when setup for the latter is underway.

    Then again, since there's subject matter that can legitimately be done in both cases (and both are coordinated by the same people, and also that the same mix occurs elsewhere) then it's also not unreasonable to expect that someone thought of every possible consideration for such a complicated logistical matter.

    EDIT: Another matter is whether or not people will actually get back to these matters in such a short time. I'd expect practically anything to happen at this point.

    Jeffsta on
  • MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Registered User regular
    Did the front page change to "Registration Soon" in the last few days or has it been that way for a while?

  • JeffstaJeffsta Registered User regular
    edited March 22
    I have no idea, but I just saw it myself.

    UPDATE: After further review and owing to the ongoing logistical changes (and with the current travel guidelines being at prohibitive levels for purpose) my position is now final and I will end all further discussion on this. I'm also willing to admit that I can be rather extreme on these matters because of a personal consequence and I know it's still early in the year, but let's be honest: at this point the situation is unlikely to improve to sufficient levels by the time PAX West is set to begin. Because of this, I implore the PAX team to immediately reassess the remainder of the 2020 schedule and do right by us in terminating all further activity for the rest of the year.

    ANOTHER UPDATE: I just noticed that media speculation now points to a possible "shelter directive" for the Seattle area (if not the whole state) because apparently people don't get their shit together for this kind of situation. And needles to say, if something like that happens then I have every reason to ascertain to you that all bets are off. I wouldn't count on PAX West if that were to happen.

    Jeffsta on
  • every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    Soon™ (possibly 2021.)

  • 7ucky7ucky Registered User new member
    This is about the time PAX Prime West badges go on sale, so I'm curious where we can expect an update on whether or not they plan to hold the event at all. Has anyone heard anything from the official channels yet?

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    7ucky wrote: »
    This is about the time PAX Prime West badges go on sale, so I'm curious where we can expect an update on whether or not they plan to hold the event at all. Has anyone heard anything from the official channels yet?
    I don't think badges have gone on sale before Memorial Day (US) for a few years. I may be misremembering, but I think we're a few months out still from any info.

  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah, I believe PAXU has sold tickets prior to West the past 3 years. PAXU often goes for sale early May.

  • anettie76anettie76 OregonRegistered User regular
    I haven't heard anything, but the last couple of years, we don't usually hear anything till April and badges go on sale around Memorial Day. We still have some waiting time. And I'm sure they don't want to jump the gun in case social gathering restrictions extend longer than expected.

  • CKingCKing Registered User regular
    Yeah, this is typically East time. Sales for the past 4-5 years have been mid May to early June.

  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    7ucky wrote: »
    This is about the time PAX Prime West badges go on sale, so I'm curious where we can expect an update on whether or not they plan to hold the event at all. Has anyone heard anything from the official channels yet?
    I don't think badges have gone on sale before Memorial Day (US) for a few years. I may be misremembering, but I think we're a few months out still from any info.
    They haven't been on sale before Memorial Day since 2015. And you have to go back to 2013 to get sales in April.
    2019: May-30
    2018: May-31
    2017: June-8
    2016: June-7
    2015: May-7
    2014: May-28
    2013: April-17

  • JeffstaJeffsta Registered User regular
    And now I wouldn't bet on it. I was intending for my last word to be the end and didn't anticipate we'd still be talking about it. (Admittedly this can also happen to me on an IRL basis, and for reasons I don't necessarily have to explain to just anyone.) But I just got done reading that QuakeCon is now canceled as well (and with online replacement likely as it has done with most of the other situations to date) and that decision was handed down very close to six in the afternoon based on my local time yesterday, and for something that close on the schedule to go kaput then it's probably safe to assume that nobody else will even think about it until at least next summer (and that assumes that E3 can actually be able to pull a comeback which after everything to date in that context is as likely as a fucking Sasquatch walking down Pike Street. This also means of course that I now intend to withdraw from any personal plans outside of PAX as this was going to be my indication of whether or not it's safe to continue as planned (and obviously it is not).

    TL/DR: You may as well start canceling your flights and hotels at this point because it's very likely now based the proximity of timing between QuakeCon and PAX for the latter to be forced into cancellation by direct consequence of the former having to call things off. It's basically over at this point.

  • PavioPavio Registered User regular
    I think you're probably right--but I'm not cancelling any plans yet. I'm going to continue to hope that in 5 months we will be in a place where we can do this. And I do see this as a very serious situation and would completely understand if they cancelled.

    I'm going to wait for official word from PAX.

Sign In or Register to comment.