As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Resident Evil] Are you a bad enough dude to save the President's daughter... again?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I didn't much care how they handled the B scenarios in RE2R. In the original, they were actually connected "this is what the other person was doing at the time" stories. The B story here though feels nothing more than a difficulty remix of that character's plot. Not only do the stories barely link, but they contradict each other. I know Capcom could never keep a plot together to save its life, but this might be the first time it's done it in the same game. It's still worth playing. After the A story, you're probably jonesing to play the other character, and B will start you at an appropriate difficulty for your skill.

My dream DLC right now is (RE3 spoilers)
    a zapping mode that connects Leon, Claire and Jill's run throughs. Open the western office safe in the RPD as Carlos? Welp, guess Claire's not getting the hip pouch. Take the shotgun upgrade as Jill in Kendo's shop? Leon's going to be making do without his.

Throw in a couple of extra cutscenes, maybe change the RE2 B run up slightly to account for things being more consistent, and I think you'd have something spectacular. It just seems like a really obvious potential step when all of the puzzles and key combinations are literally identical between the locations shared by the three.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Claire gets some really cool scenes in RE2make. My favorite is the distinction between her and Leon's version of confronting G-Stage 3. Leon gets stuck in the room with it against his will by Annette. Claire chooses to jump down to fight it. Fuckin' badass.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Claire gets some really cool scenes in RE2make. My favorite is the distinction between her and Leon's version of confronting G-Stage 3. Leon gets stuck in the room with it against his will by Annette. Claire chooses to jump down to fight it. Fuckin' badass.

Jill has some great scenes in RE3. I'm pretty happy with how they portray both of them.

• Options
    timhodgetimhodge AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The way they handle Leon and Claire in the RE2 remake is really interesting. Leon, the tough cop dude, just gets shuffled through the game going "oh, uh... what? uh..." and college student Claire is like "LET'S JACK THIS BAGHOLE UP". I'm new so I have no idea if the original game played hem that way, but I love it. Is it too much? Do they push Claire past Awesome Chick into Stupid Action Movie Crap? I don't know. I don't know.

0877-0596-8498 | Swirlix, Dedenne, Floette
  • Options
    As a fan of bad action movies... I love it and want more.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

I mean, RE6 is right there.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's funny and awesome, but at the same time my inner realist was screaming, but in a funny way.

Claire: "Don't worry, I got this!"
    Me: NO! No you do not! Nobody in their right and sane mind has "got this", nor would ever think they "had it" to begin with! You ever see a hulking 4 limbed monster with claws and *multiple* eyeballs in its shoulders/knees/chest, you fucking RUN!"

What the fuck is going on in the Redfield home that they look at shit like this and go "Phht, whatever."? :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

I mean, RE6 is right there.

I should really play through it again now that the wave of disappointment has washed away.
    It's funny and awesome, but at the same time my inner realist was screaming, but in a funny way.

Claire: "Don't worry, I got this!"
    Me: NO! No you do not! Nobody in their right and sane mind has "got this", nor would ever think they "had it" to begin with! You ever see a hulking 4 limbed monster with claws and *multiple* eyeballs in its shoulders/knees/chest, you fucking RUN!"

What the fuck is going on in the Redfield home that they look at shit like this and go "Phht, whatever."? :)

Boulder punching is in their DNA.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    The multiplayer is relatively decent. But it doesn't do a great job of telling you what to do despite the tutorials. Also, it doesn't seem to have a party system or way of grouping with people you liked playing with.

And in the first game it put three Rank 1 survivors against a mastermind with Spencer, who you apparently unlock by playing all 3 of the other masterminds enough. That went about as expected.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    timhodge wrote: »
    The way they handle Leon and Claire in the RE2 remake is really interesting. Leon, the tough cop dude, just gets shuffled through the game going "oh, uh... what? uh..." and college student Claire is like "LET'S JACK THIS BAGHOLE UP". I'm new so I have no idea if the original game played hem that way, but I love it. Is it too much? Do they push Claire past Awesome Chick into Stupid Action Movie Crap? I don't know. I don't know.
    If you spend enough time as a RE protag, you'll eventually turn into a cheesey action movie hero with one liners like Ethan, Claire and RE4 Leon.

They start scared and confused but by the end, they're slaying monsters with miniguns and rocket launchers.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I have Beat the game thrice now.

I love it. From the shop
    Ammo Buddy is hilarious you literally double what you make it turned my second and third run into "Shoot all the things right in the butt."

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    The multiplayer is relatively decent. But it doesn't do a great job of telling you what to do despite the tutorials. Also, it doesn't seem to have a party system or way of grouping with people you liked playing with.

And in the first game it put three Rank 1 survivors against a mastermind with Spencer, who you apparently unlock by playing all 3 of the other masterminds enough. That went about as expected.

I've played as Mastermind once, doing random everytime. And I swear I only won because the group I was playing against was all new players as well. They ran around aimlessly for three of the five minutes.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Ada's sequence is bad. Like what the fuck were they thinking bad.

They can make it as hard as they want: it means there's only one correct answer. An answer that I am now Youtubing because fuck this.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I needed more Ada content in RE2Remake and I'm sad they never delivered anymore. Her gameplay with the power tracer thing was neat. Also, Ada is a fun character. Heck, I'd play an entire game as Ada in this engine. Capcom, please make a brand new RE game with the RE2/RE3 gameplay, starring Ada Wong. You can call it "Ada's Happy Fun Zombie Adventure" or whatever. I don't care. I just need more Ada content.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    After Ada's side stuff in RE4, I got tired of her and her nothingburger scheming.
    Krueger is useful. But if he betrays me I will murder him. Murder him dead. Leon is such a snack, but I have to use him for my plans. So many plans. Plans for Wesker, too. Like, you cannot imagine the amount of plans I am planning.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    I do feel with RE3R, there was a missed opportunity to create a Dead Rising style section of rescuing civilians/Umbrella team members under a time limit with Nemesis turning up at random to keep players on edge.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Surprised Ada never got her own game.

(RE6 doesn't count, its terrible)

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    We finished R3make. P.dang good, if not feeling fully baked. I don't think it supplants the original for me, which is kind of a bummer, but eh.
    loved the new deathblow on Nemesis, shoving the railgun down it's throat. Take the fucking hint.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Carlos's dodge looks more like a body check, so I tried to use it on a zombie. It didn't go well for me.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Surprised Ada never got her own game.

(RE6 doesn't count, its terrible)

So is Ada.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Oh man. When Mr X
    gets his guts ripped out by Birkin

I want to high five that monster, not fight him!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Oh man. When Mr X
    gets his guts ripped out by Birkin

I want to high five that monster, not fight him!
    That was pretty great.
    Birkin is a hero.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I don't understand how to win Mastermind in Resistance. It seems like if the survivors know what they're doing, they're at a supreme advantage and no amount of zombies I can spread around seems to help. Anyone got tips? I've played as mastermind twice now and it felt like an utter stomp each time. The second time they even had someone drop out at the beginning so they only had 3 people!

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I don't understand how to win Mastermind in Resistance. It seems like if the survivors know what they're doing, they're at a supreme advantage and no amount of zombies I can spread around seems to help. Anyone got tips? I've played as mastermind twice now and it felt like an utter stomp each time. The second time they even had someone drop out at the beginning so they only had 3 people!

So I think the Mastermind is at a (huge) disadvantage against an even vaguely coordinated Survivor team, but there are some things you can do to try and even things out. The biggest point is prepping in advance (which gets easier as you rank up and unlock more customisation options) to make sure that you're taking advantage of your Mastermind's traits and your general playstyle. E.g., Annette should be spamming creatures and stacking buffs on them, Alex should be throwing out as many traps as possible.

Using a specific map preset can make it more difficult for the Survivors as well. In the first round you ideally want the keys to be in rooms that are either easily missed or furthest from the Survivor start point. In the second round you can manually control the Security Zombie to move it away from the survivors - if you open up the minimap you can actually track the survivors and keep away from them in real time if they're not going too quickly. The third round is kind of a shit show but you'll hopefully have enough energy and unit cap to spam things by this point.

The Bioweapons are absolutely not "I win" buttons, they're too easily kited and stunned. Their best use is as delaying tactics to prevent the Survivors from reaching something that they need to access. One approach I love as Annette is to fill a room that the Survivors need to enter with monsters, wait from them to engage, then spawn Birkin behind them. Shit can go very badly wrong for the survivors if the lights are off and they're being swarmed from two directions at once.

The biggest thing to remember is that you need to focus on delaying tactics more than straight up killing good survivors. Four Resident Evil protagonists are more than a match for any monsters that you can throw at them, especially if they manage to get equipped with shit like flamthrowers, miniguns and grenades, but you can use mind games and environmental interactions to time them out.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I bought but haven't actually played RE2make. What's this me x stuff, that wasn't in the original right?

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Mr X was in the original (only in the B runs, I think), but he was basically just a boss you run into at scripted moments. Now, he follows you around the map for a large portion of the game.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Raise your hand if you were a dumb kid in 98 like me that thought there were multiple Mr. Xs.

I thought he actually died when you killed him, that he was just an enemy type but a powerful one.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Raise your hand if you were a dumb kid in 98 like me that thought there were multiple Mr. Xs.

I thought he actually died when you killed him, that he was just an enemy type but a powerful one.

You're not half-wrong! Mr. X actually is a line of monsters, and there were actually several of them running around Raccoon City during the games. The one you keep meeting in RE2 each is the same one though, I believe.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Shenl742 wrote: »

You're not half-wrong! Mr. X actually is a line of monsters, and there were actually several of them running around Raccoon City during the games. The one you keep meeting in RE2 each is the same one though, I believe.

Legit forgot about this thread and getting to RE3make myself, but this touches on something that did bug me about 2R and how it handled certain moments. X's introduction was the biggest one; in the original he shows up in a rather excellently done (for the time) cutscene, and watching again it conveys a lot of information visually. Observe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeJ10-gPW2M

- He's dropped from a helicopter, indicating this isn't part of the outbreak, but something else - something deliberate and even more sinister.
    - There are multiple canisters, indicating they've made lots of these things.
    - He drops with no landing assistance whatsoever and effortlessly pounds through the roof, barely flinching when he lands.

Even the camera work is clever: the slow pan up through the settling dust gives you an outline but not a clear look. When you get in the hallway, you have time to hear his approaching footsteps over a lack of BGM before he rounds the corner. It builds dread in a way that X just showing up didn't. Now, the way 2R handles him in gameplay is superior by far, but that old introduction worked so well that I'm actually really surprised they didn't just update it.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Was it ever explained why the G-Virus is so obsessed with eyeballs?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Birkin had an eye fetish.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Preacher wrote: »

Birkin had an eye fetish.
    Makes sense.

Shortly before the events of RE2, he had his balls surgically removed and replaced with eyeballs.

This is canon now.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I do like the contrast between RE 2 Leon, and RE 4 Leon in that like RE 4 Leon knows he's in a game and just along for the ride.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I know I'm in the minority but I never liked RE4 Leon. He tries way too hard to be a cool guy.

Leon is a huge earnest dork/boyscout. RE2 remake gets him right.

If Chris ever dies, Leon shall take his place as Captain America.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I won a mastermind as Annette! They were stomping me up until the third level and then I got pretty lucky with trapping them in a tight corridor full of dogs and William Birkin, managed to kill all four of them and then they were too frazzled to make a comeback.

How do you turn off the lights as the mastermind? Seems like that would help hide traps and stuff.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So just finished the game was surprised how short it was.

It had some moments but compared to 2 it fell flat for me. I think the replay factor even with
    shop
    isn’t enough to keep me coming back.

I remember enjoying the mercenaries mode in the original but it’s a shame they didn’t add it here.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Ok fuck these plant zombies. Can they not actually be killed? I torched one with a flame grenade and when I came back through that corridor the fucker is up and in my face like nothing ever happened.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Ok fuck these plant zombies. Can they not actually be killed? I torched one with a flame grenade and when I came back through that corridor the fucker is up and in my face like nothing ever happened.
    in RE2?

You have to hit them with a flame round, then once they're on the ground and burning, you have to hit them with one more. Then you'll hear that satisfying sizzling sound and they'll turn into charred corpses and stay dead.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular

They can only be killed by burning after the 'bulbs' have been destroyed, usually 3 or 4 on each one

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Oh god damn it, so I've basically wasted flame rounds. I do not have nearly enough flame rounds left to deal with these assholes and they are everywhere. I am having zero luck running by them without getting nabbed, too. Is there a good way to stagger them so you can at least run past?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg