Options

Living like introverts: a [COVID-19 lockdown] survival resources thread

1235»

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Oh, Samuel L. Jackson did a reading of a new book called "Stay the F**K at Home" on Jimmy Kimmel:
    https://youtu.be/sSrbxyna4z4?t=366

(The reading starts about 6 minutes in if you want to skip the interview)

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Andrew Lloyd Weber has announced a new youtube channel "the Shows must go on" that will be live streaming his musicals.

The first one up is the 2000 version of Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat, which started streaming today and will be available for 48 hours.

Jesus Christ Superstar is the next one as well.

If you've ever been keen to see a Bway musical, this seems like a good way to do so.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Andrew Lloyd Weber has announced a new youtube channel "the Shows must go on" that will be live streaming his musicals.

The first one up is the 2000 version of Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat, which started streaming today and will be available for 48 hours.

If you've ever been keen to see a Bway musical, this seems like a good way to do so.

It's not up yet though (in the US at least)! You teased me!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Pluralsight is offering all their courses for free during April. I've never used them but they seem to be highly regarded by people I follow on Twitter. Catalog looks like mainly tech stuff, Software Development, IT, pentesting, infosec, etc

https://www.pluralsight.com/offer/2020/free-april-month

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

*subscribe*

I listened to JCS earlier this week.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZXZQxS3d6NpR-eH_gdDwYA

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology maintains a list of live webcams of birds. I just glanced at a few, and some are still nighttime and just showing darkness, the osprey cam shows an osprey just hanging out, and the Panama fruit feeder was visited by a lovely emerald green hummingbird. Take a look if you're stuck inside needing a glimpse of nature.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Satisfactory is a game about making factories to make more factories to make even more factories to send stuff to your corporate overlords via space elevator. It's astoundingly addictive and excellent for killing time inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvWaV4qshZQ

The developers have put a ton of effort in to making sure the game works as is before moving on to the next update.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    For anybody missing board games, I cannot recommend Tabletop Simulator enough. Played a game of Twilight Imperium with friends over the weekend and was expecting a bit of jankiness, but if anything some of the scripts probably actually sped things up a bit.

For those who don't know, Tabletop Simulator is basically just a physics engine; you load in a game and a set of tokens and you can move them around with the mouse. There are occasionally some simple scripts, but not much in the way of automation, you have to actually know the rules and move the pieces accordingly. Which makes the game extremely easy to mod. There are mods for pretty much any popular board or card game you could think of, including things like Warhammer, which has the significant advantage of being able to play the damn thing at all without spending hundreds of dollars on plastic.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    For anybody missing board games, I cannot recommend Tabletop Simulator enough. Played a game of Twilight Imperium with friends over the weekend and was expecting a bit of jankiness, but if anything some of the scripts probably actually sped things up a bit.

For those who don't know, Tabletop Simulator is basically just a physics engine; you load in a game and a set of tokens and you can move them around with the mouse. There are occasionally some simple scripts, but not much in the way of automation, you have to actually know the rules and move the pieces accordingly. Which makes the game extremely easy to mod. There are mods for pretty much any popular board or card game you could think of, including things like Warhammer, which has the significant advantage of being able to play the damn thing at all without spending hundreds of dollars on plastic.

And if you're up for it, it's actually really fun to make your own workshop items. I recreated Quarriors with several of their expansions, and I created a private Heroquest remake to play with friends. I've also run D&D sessions using it.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I left Roll20 for Tabletop Simulator about a year ago, its way better in some ways at recreating the experience (combined with discord). The only downside is there is not a great character sheet mod, so most of us just use a paper printout of our sheets and roll in game.

There is also a dice cannon you can import which is very fun.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology maintains a list of live webcams of birds. I just glanced at a few, and some are still nighttime and just showing darkness, the osprey cam shows an osprey just hanging out, and the Panama fruit feeder was visited by a lovely emerald green hummingbird. Take a look if you're stuck inside needing a glimpse of nature.

The lack of bearcam in these troubled times is a severe oversight by reality.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

The lack of bearcam in these troubled times is a severe oversight by reality.

There's plenty of bearcams out there, and most of them accept PayPal.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Until bears fly and become dinosaurs, they do not fall under the purview of ornithology. For a bear cam, you should go to, say, the North American Bear Center:

https://bear.org/watch-us-live/live-cams/

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    The one true bearcam

https://youtu.be/cRtNX6rr0uw

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

And if you're up for it, it's actually really fun to make your own workshop items. I recreated Quarriors with several of their expansions, and I created a private Heroquest remake to play with friends. I've also run D&D sessions using it.
    I had my first experience with Tabletop Simulator this weekend, hosting some games for area friends, and it went fairly smoothly. Not every game works well, and some games like scripting more than others, but it worked better than expected. Just remember some of the hotkeys to shuffle, flip, and gather components. I've definitely got the temptation to try to do some scripting or to even create my own workshop items to fill the spare hours of each day.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »

I had my first experience with Tabletop Simulator this weekend, hosting some games for area friends, and it went fairly smoothly. Not every game works well, and some games like scripting more than others, but it worked better than expected. Just remember some of the hotkeys to shuffle, flip, and gather components. I've definitely got the temptation to try to do some scripting or to even create my own workshop items to fill the spare hours of each day.

I got pretty down the rabbit hole with creating custom models. In our D&D sessions, I'd go out and find all sorts of OBJ files, tear em apart, and put em together to match whatever odd creation the players wanted to be for their character. We also did the free downloadable Wendy's campaign, so I was modeling a baked potato at one point.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Wizards of the Coast are making D&D resources available on a daily basis here

So far they've released some low level adventures and resources for younger players, so if you've got kids now might be a chance to introduce them to the game

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

So far they've released some low level adventures and resources for younger players, so if you've got kids now might be a chance to introduce them to the game

I love the diagram explaining what an owlbear is. Perfect for kids!

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

Well you see, when an owl and a bear a wizard and dark, forbidden magics love each other very much...

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Royal New Zealand Ballet is streaming their production of Midsummer Night's Dream this weekend.

Check out their facebook page as it will be streaming there at different times this weekend and after daylight savings i can't be bothered doing the calculations.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

So, you said this, and I went to look.
    Before I actually zoomed in for a better view, I fully expected the "rhinoshark" to be (called) a bullette. Alas, it is not.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I built a shed this week. Looks rough and now I can't buy paint anywhere because Michigan is now making mostly-essential stores rope off non-essential departments, but I'm happy enough to start moving stuff into it, it can get painted later.

While clearing old totes out of the big closet, I found a literal treasure box that I thought I left in my parents house years and years ago: The entire Myst series, minus Uru. I don't even remember there being a V, I don't remember buying IV, and I don't remember playing III, but there they were, all five.

But, my computer doesn't have an optical drive and my wife gets mad when I monopolize the laptop to play games. So I set up the CD drive on her computer to share to the desktop over wifi. And let me tell you this is the slowest way to install a game there is, Myst took almost three hours and that was just one CD, but there might be something wrong with it because Riven took an hour and a half and that was five CDs. It took me over an hour to get the share working right, so I figured, might as well install all five now so I don't have to do this over again.

Seven damn hours later, I'm done. Ready to return to the days of my long forgotten Windows 3.1 486 overdrive and filling a 5 subject notebook with maps of the damn trolley puzzles and just looking up the fire marble solution because fuck that shit.

Aaaaand… Not one of the fucking games works because I only have the original 90's and early 00's versions and not the myriad re-releases, which I would have known if I took two minutes to look it up before I spent the useful length of a day Rube Goldberging them through the ether into my computer.

Hevach on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    That just means you haven't Rube Goldberged hard ENOUGH. I'm pretty sure you could get a Win98 virtual machine up and running without too much trouble. Or maybe get a Linux partition set up and just WINE them.

• Options
    MechMantis wrote: »
    That just means you haven't Rube Goldberged hard ENOUGH. I'm pretty sure you could get a Win98 virtual machine up and running without too much trouble. Or maybe get a Linux partition set up and just WINE them.

Probably but the whole mess made me to angry to play an entire series of peaceful violence free exploration and puzzling. So I played Doom for three hours.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Kia Ora, Whanau!

I know we have some rugby fans, or even just people that are fans of the All Blacks, or are fascinated by other indigenous cultures. Or have seen Moana far too many times to really count.

Are you stuck at home with children who have far too much energy and no good outlet? Do you want them to learn something different, perhaps start to pick up another language? Or get them doing something other than singing "You're Welcome"?

Please allow me to introduce you to Matua Whaitiri, an instructor for Kapa Haka from around the Porirua area in New Zealand. Matua Whaitiri (or Maori Thor as he introduces himself as) was very sad that he could not teach his students during this time of rahui. So, he took his Kapa haka lessons online.

He streams live from facebook every monday morning, and the videos are also uploaded onto Youtube.

I present to you here the first pilot episode for his show, there are now 11 episodes up on his youtube, please enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArGm7_TDBUI

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Not sure if this has been shared before, an Italian developer created a website to estimate waiting times at grocery stores, etc. Works around the world as far as I can tell.

Market Waiting Times FAQ

Map link

:so_raven:
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Devin Townsend: "My voice is a bit busted today."

*sings like a god*

So here'a 50-minute charity concert he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSmHwC7Mjcg

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    iHeartRadio is partnering with Broadway shows to broadcast them on Saturdays at 2pm.

This week is Hadestown, whose tickets were VERY expensive before Broadway closed down, so I'm excited for this. There will be another hit show every week looks like.

Next week is Dear Evan Hansen, which is also amazing. Bring a box of tissues though.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Here's Post Malone and Travis Barker with a few others performing a set of Nirvana songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7eaGcIyhPU

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Devin Townsend: "My voice is a bit busted today."

*sings like a god*

So here'a 50-minute charity concert he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSmHwC7Mjcg

I saw Devin in Houston just before stuff really started kicking off. It was a fan-freaking-tastic show! Thanks for sharing this!

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    I built a shed this week. Looks rough and now I can't buy paint anywhere because Michigan is now making mostly-essential stores rope off non-essential departments, but I'm happy enough to start moving stuff into it, it can get painted later.

I just do this kind of thing for fun, but you can make your own paint out of pigment, milk or cottage cheese, and canning lime, vinegar or borax if you have those laying around. There are lots of recipes online for Milk Paint (https://www.bobvila.com/articles/milk-paint-recipe/).

• Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular

While clearing old totes out of the big closet, I found a literal treasure box that I thought I left in my parents house years and years ago: The entire Myst series, minus Uru. I don't even remember there being a V, I don't remember buying IV, and I don't remember playing III, but there they were, all five.

But, my computer doesn't have an optical drive and my wife gets mad when I monopolize the laptop to play games. So I set up the CD drive on her computer to share to the desktop over wifi. And let me tell you this is the slowest way to install a game there is, Myst took almost three hours and that was just one CD, but there might be something wrong with it because Riven took an hour and a half and that was five CDs. It took me over an hour to get the share working right, so I figured, might as well install all five now so I don't have to do this over again.

Seven damn hours later, I'm done. Ready to return to the days of my long forgotten Windows 3.1 486 overdrive and filling a 5 subject notebook with maps of the damn trolley puzzles and just looking up the fire marble solution because fuck that shit.

Aaaaand… Not one of the fucking games works because I only have the original 90's and early 00's versions and not the myriad re-releases, which I would have known if I took two minutes to look it up before I spent the useful length of a day Rube Goldberging them through the ether into my computer.

If you really want to get your Myst fix (myst fyx?) realMyst got ported to iOS a while back and it still runs on iOS 13, and thanks to the original systems it was designed for, it runs pretty smooth no matter what iOS hardware you have.

And I'm not just recommending realMyst on the off chance you see my name in the credits... (:

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I actually ended up shelling out for RealMyst (found I remembered enough to breeze through the four main ages and unelss I'm missing something Rime was pretty trivial) and Riven (fuck you fire marble domes) on GOG, are you in the Windows version credits also?

Hevach on
  • Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I actually ended up shelling out for RealMyst (found I remembered enough to breeze through the four main ages and unelss I'm missing something Rime was pretty trivial) and Riven (fuck you fire marble domes) on GOG, are you in the Windows version credits also?

Yeah, I worked on the original version, so I'm in the Windows (and Mac!) credits. The iOS version is built off of the OpenGL version of the PC code, so my name is under the "original version" credits.

Also, no, Rime is pretty trivial. The entire point of Rime was to show off a bit more of what we could do visually with the realMYST engine as a preview for Uru, and also the super-secret-highly-difficult-to-find-until-you-think-about-it-for-two-seconds-oops sneak peek screenshots of Uru.

Mathew Burrack on
    "Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    Just found out about virtual train rides on Youtube. The link lists several but there are plenty more where those came from, just continuous recordings of the scenery from trains as they travel a route. It's nice for a background or just a feeling of going out and seeing the world while we're stuck not doing that.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Just found out about virtual train rides on Youtube. The link lists several but there are plenty more where those came from, just continuous recordings of the scenery from trains as they travel a route. It's nice for a background or just a feeling of going out and seeing the world while we're stuck not doing that.

This post reminded me of a Youtube channel, Ramblac, who posts hour-long walks or so around Japan, mostly in the Tokyo area. Whenever I visit Japan, I tend to just do a lot of walking or meandering around, so there's a kind of nostalgia from the existence of these videos. (In practice, however, I simultaneously lack the patience to fully attend to the video without wanting to do something else, wile lacking the ability to just let it go in the background without wanting to watch. But that's just me.)

4463rwiq7r47.png