As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Ugh, friend is trying to organize a small get together with our friends "before we're unable to."

She's trying to be smart, by saying we should maybe hang outdoors and keep distance from one another but then she also suggest a movie or game night.

She desperately needs social interaction so I don't want to be harsh on her but it's such a bad idea to me.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too hard on people. If there's too much pressure to do everything, people might crack and do nothing. And every bit counts a lot.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    No, Bejing is throwing all US reporters.

Here is the story
    https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/toiletpapier-hamsteren-heb-ik-nog-nooit-gezien-in-china~bb18e3ac

In Dutch, soft paywall

She had visited Wuhan at the start of the crisis, got quarantined for 14 days, was allowed out of Wuhan, then got quarantined for another 14d. She got released this morning.

Nothing in the story suggests she is leaving.

Yeah, this is just purely against big US papers. It seems like some combination of retaliation against them for reporting on the Chinese government's fuckups with respect to this pandemic and part of their propaganda efforts to deflect blame towards the US for the entire thing.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    No, Bejing is throwing all US reporters.

Here is the story
    https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/toiletpapier-hamsteren-heb-ik-nog-nooit-gezien-in-china~bb18e3ac

In Dutch, soft paywall

She had visited Wuhan at the start of the crisis, got quarantined for 14 days, was allowed out of Wuhan, then got quarantined for another 14d. She got released this morning.

Nothing in the story suggests she is leaving.

Yeah, this is just purely against big US papers. It seems like some combination of retaliation against them for reporting on the Chinese government's fuckups with respect to this pandemic and part of their propaganda efforts to deflect blame towards the US for the entire thing.

It's part of an ongoing spat between the governments over reporters. We restricted the number of reporters they're allowed to have recently because of an accusation of spying. It's just standard diplomatic tit-for-tat.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    The hospital where my mom works is halting all elective surgeries starting Friday. Which means that starting Tuesday of next week, she won't have a job until the hospital reopens elective surgery. Or they find something for her to do in the meantime.

Not good. Considering she goes stir crazy after a few days off work.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Shout out to the pub down the street which is (illegally?) open tonight, and all the crazy motherfuckers who decided to go out

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    KetBra wrote: »
    Shout out to the pub down the street which is (illegally?) open tonight, and all the crazy motherfuckers who decided to go out

Really needing that :hydra: reaction now. Owners are risking getting the cops called on them.

Reminds me, stupidest bullshit that will get people killed so far is people saying that they don't fear the coronavirus because they are "tough". Because fuck the people with weak immune systems, I guess.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    The hospital where my mom works is halting all elective surgeries starting Friday. Which means that starting Tuesday of next week, she won't have a job until the hospital reopens elective surgery. Or they find something for her to do in the meantime.

They reassigned all of our LPN/RN/MA crew from outpatient and medical offices to the advice line and call center. Inpatient is staying where they are but it's all very fluid.

All of the hospitals in my area have started coordinating with one another to plan on providing care. If she has experience and is willing to do the work I wouldn't be surprised if there was a registry she can get on to work some hours.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Day 5 of lockdown in Ireland, though technically speaking it's the early hours of Day 6 now.

Today was the day it hit me the hardest so far. It's difficult to describe just how much of an event St. Patrick's Day is here. Even if you never bother going into town for the parade, there are dozens of small local parades and events and parties on at any given time. A lot of people did funny miniature parades or events that they recorded and uploaded online, but to me it only brought it home to me just how huge this all is.

I've been keeping in touch with my family, and today my landlady checked in on me to let me know she was visiting a pharmacy and a large supermarket, to ask me if I needed anything. She seemed very freaked out by it all, but trying to keep it together.

So... technically we sort of don't actually have a government right now since our election a few weeks ago ended in a three way tie. Negotiations for a new government are ongoing, but they're complicated both by a messload of local politics and by measures to prevent the spread of this virus. So for now the last government, led by Leo Varadkar, is continuing in a caretaker road. This is part of the speech that he gave to the Irish people today, that I thought was worth sharing with everyone.

RTÉ News is Ireland's public broadcast news service.
    Not all superheroes wear capes. Some wear scrubs and gowns, and all of our healthcare workers need us to do the right thing in the weeks ahead.

Our community services and hospitals are being tooled up, essential equipment is on the way, retired staff are returning to service, people are training for change roles.

This is the calm before the storm. Before the surge. And when it comes, and it will come, never will so many ask so much of so few. We'll do all that we can to support them.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Local bar/theater chain just axed a bunch of employees.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I should also point out that An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar went on to say that they expect 15,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland over the next month, and that the number will continue to rise after that, saying that the vast majority will experience only a mild illness, but that many will need hospital treatment and that sadly some will die. He went on to hammer home just how important social distancing was to preventing the spread of the virus and saving as many people as possible.

Basically it was a good speech that acknowledged the bleakness of all this without giving way to panic and which emphasized how important it was for everyone to do what they personally could to help.

*edit* Oh yeah. It's pronounced "Tea Shock"

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Here's part of the quote from the owners of the company.
    After exploring all options, we are laying off nearly 3,000 employees – almost everyone at the company – effective Today, March 17. This is drastic, but necessary, to allow our employees to file for unemployment benefits and ensure that there will be jobs to come back to when this extraordinary episode ends. And we are confident it will end. Until then, we thank you for your support and understanding and look forward to gathering with you again soon.”[/quote[

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I work in pediatric physical therapy, and while I'm not on the "front lines" so to speak, I really feel for the kids who no longer have school as an outlet. Most will be fine and adapt, but the kids I work with often have PTSD, developmental or physical disorders, and I have no idea if we're going to stay open or not since its a private clinic.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I have an iron transfusion scheduled at a local hospital on the 30th, a little worried even though I’m in my 30s as I’m anemic with high blood pressure, though the whole point of the iron is to help build my blood back up. Going to bring gloves with me, and try to keep distance from others, though no idea what the situation will be like two weeks from now

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »

They reassigned all of our LPN/RN/MA crew from outpatient and medical offices to the advice line and call center. Inpatient is staying where they are but it's all very fluid.

All of the hospitals in my area have started coordinating with one another to plan on providing care. If she has experience and is willing to do the work I wouldn't be surprised if there was a registry she can get on to work some hours.

She's got experience and I'm fully expecting this won't last too long, if at all, depending on how crazy things get. I can't see letting someone with ER experience, even if she hasn't done it in forever, sit at home if they can help it.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Selner wrote: »

After exploring all options, we are laying off nearly 3,000 employees – almost everyone at the company – effective Today, March 17. This is drastic, but necessary, to allow our employees to file for unemployment benefits and ensure that there will be jobs to come back to when this extraordinary episode ends. And we are confident it will end. Until then, we thank you for your support and understanding and look forward to gathering with you again soon.”

Ouch, but... they've got a point. :(

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Californians being told not to be surprised if schools don't open up again this school year, which a lot of us already suspected I'm sure.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So my work center just had all of us complete telework training and sign a telework agreement earlier this week for the possible (OK, most likely inevitable) order to WfH.

Also, there are rumors circulating that someone in my direct local community (I live overseas in a U.S. military base) is being tested for COVID-19 (no word as to the results but apparently the patient might be asymptomatic) and is currently under quarantine.

Cool cool cool.

Raiju on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    omg that speech from Varadkar even just that clip. I'm in tears.

Stay safe you all. You're all loved.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

After exploring all options, we are laying off nearly 3,000 employees – almost everyone at the company – effective Today, March 17. This is drastic, but necessary, to allow our employees to file for unemployment benefits and ensure that there will be jobs to come back to when this extraordinary episode ends. And we are confident it will end. Until then, we thank you for your support and understanding and look forward to gathering with you again soon.”

I imagine they're hoping to hire most of them back once they can actually do business again. This isn't the only case I've heard of this happening, either.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I imagine they're hoping to hire most of them back once they can actually do business again. This isn't the only case I've heard of this happening, either.

Same with my brother's restaurant. They laid them all off so they are allowed to file for and collect unemployment, versus just being closed and out of work.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Gosh it’d be nice to have some competent, compassionate, literate executive leadership

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Stuck working in person through this, since our warehouse also prepares IT equipment for hospitals and most of the work is hands-on (someone has to physically unpack and connect phones/laptops for imaging). Other than sanitizers and the hand-washing posters, it's downright weird how business-as-usual things are for the moment, since the supplies we need for immediate projects are in the building. I think everybody's just trying to focus on the work while there's work to focus on. Sat in on a call with one of the client reps, and they can't get any word from Apple on future orders. Even projects a month from now are a big question mark.

Bulletins encourage WFH and they are telling anybody not feeling well to stay home, and have enforced two weeks minimum of time off for those who've called in for any reason; unclear if it's paid or not. They've even locked down a connecting tunnel between warehouses and minimized traffic between it to scheduled forklifts. I'm assuming it's a proactive measure, but it's hard not to feel like the bug is here already and it's just a matter of time until someone starts showing symptoms. Only been a few cases around here, but we're right next to Cook County. Not much to do but brace ourselves.

Could always be worse, of course, and I feel for anybody working a grocery store through this, let alone at a clinic or hospital. Not much to add otherwise. Everybody stay as safe as you can, especially if you're in the thick of it, and check in on vulnerable friends/family when possible. Gonna be a lot of people that need a helping hand to get through this.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    The one case in Hamilton county where I'm at happened in downtown Chattanooga at one of the biggest churches downtown. Where the pastor caught it and potentially exposed hundreds of churchgoers before he started to show symptoms. So we literally have the potential of a coronavirus bomb being set off in the middle of downtown and the mayor isn't doing anything but shutting down public community centers.

Wait...what?

I'm living in Korea right now, but my hometown is right up the road from Chattanooga.

Not really liking this news at all.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    So we've graduated from hurling racist epithets, spitting on, and physically assaulting people to straight up attempted murder...

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/FIRST-ON-CBS7-Suspect-admitted-to-trying-to-kill-family-at-Midland-Sams-Club-affidavit-says-568837371.html
    MIDLAND, Tx. (KOSA) -- The 19-year-old who investigators say stabbed and cut four people at the Midland Sam's Club Saturday told police he was attempting to kill a family shopping in the store, according to an arrest affidavit.

The family is Asian and according to Midland Mayor Patrick Payton, the FBI is also now helping with the investigation. That sometimes indicates that an incident is being investigated as a hate crime, although that hasn't been confirmed in this case.

JFC. It's because of coronavirus anti-Asian hysteria, isn't it? Humanity never ceases to disappoint and utterly anger me.

Raiju on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Apparently we have our first case here in Fargo, ND.

And because social media is shit, and people are worse, people were spreading a rumor all day that it was a teacher in the West Fargo school district.

The West Fargo school district put out a statement basically saying "It would be required by law for us to be notified by public health officials and we have received n such notification." so it's not actually a teacher but man is that going to be a fun conversation to endlessly have tomorrow.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I have a therapy appointment on Thursday. I should probably request that we video chat instead of meeting in person, right?

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Watching Late Night with Steven Colbert right now... this is a very uncanny take on the format. No audience reaction, no band reactions.

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Ugh, friend is trying to organize a small get together with our friends "before we're unable to."

She's trying to be smart, by saying we should maybe hang outdoors and keep distance from one another but then she also suggest a movie or game night.

She desperately needs social interaction so I don't want to be harsh on her but it's such a bad idea to me.

You could do one of those Kast things where you all watch a movie together on an open voice line. Or suggest a 1x1 thing. I think you're totally reasonable to be concerned.

There is an app for chrome that allows synchronized netflix watching (netflix party). Supposedly you can also do it in discord but some are reporting difficulties getting it to work.

Siska on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I am looking forward to the studies that come out that show the results of this once in a lifetime event on the ecosystem. I’m sure there’s a whole lot of scientists chomping at the bit to collect data.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    My cousin and his girlfriend are stuck in Guatemala for 14 days. He was 3 days into his vacation and they just locked the place up.
    He couldn't even get a plane out.
    He upgraded to a luxury hotel room.
    I hope he stays safe. They both are in their late 20's so I think they'll be all right.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    So I ended up doing a grocery run last Wednesday prior to a lot of the measures that are being taken now - as my supply of fresh fruits and veggies runs out (I wasn’t thinking clearly enough to buy double and figure out how to freeze); I’m beginning to wonder how to handle grocery shopping for those kinds of items over the coming weeks.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Obviously keep any human contact and proximity to a minimum, but there’s no reason you can’t get fresh fruit and veggies as needed. If you’re worried, wear gloves during the shop and wash everything when you get home.

I went to the supermarket today (it was far less mad than it’s been any time the last two weeks) and was initially impressed at their restocking ability until I realised it was only the fresh fruit and veg that was back to capacity, probably because those deliveries are more frequent,

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Raiju wrote: »
    So we've graduated from hurling racist epithets, spitting on, and physically assaulting people to straight up attempted murder...

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/FIRST-ON-CBS7-Suspect-admitted-to-trying-to-kill-family-at-Midland-Sams-Club-affidavit-says-568837371.html
    MIDLAND, Tx. (KOSA) -- The 19-year-old who investigators say stabbed and cut four people at the Midland Sam's Club Saturday told police he was attempting to kill a family shopping in the store, according to an arrest affidavit.

The family is Asian and according to Midland Mayor Patrick Payton, the FBI is also now helping with the investigation. That sometimes indicates that an incident is being investigated as a hate crime, although that hasn't been confirmed in this case.

JFC. It's because of coronavirus anti-Asian hysteria, isn't it? Humanity never ceases to disappoint and utterly anger me.

I was at the shooting range a couple of weeks ago, and their store section had a line back to the door. I asked one of the range employees about it, and they said that a lot of people that have been in are first-generation Asian immigrants with recent experience of bias incidents and threats.

So that's alarming for all sorts of reasons.

• Options
    Doc wrote: »
    Raiju wrote: »

I was at the shooting range a couple of weeks ago, and their store section had a line back to the door. I asked one of the range employees about it, and they said that a lot of people that have been in are first-generation Asian immigrants with recent experience of bias incidents and threats.

So that's alarming for all sorts of reasons.

Yeah, I've read the news article about folks of Asian descent arming themselves in America due to fear of being unfairly targeted and blamed for the pandemic. They don't want an LA riots v2.0, and I can't say that I blame them. My relatives back in New York are on edge and expressed similar anxiety about getting attacked (we're Chinese American).

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I feel like people are talking about all this stuff they're gonna do with their free time in quarantine, and I'm realizing that since all my work can be done remotely...I'm not really gonna have any extra free time, just long weeks/months of the same stuff but without personal interactions.

I think that realization, more than the isolation itself, is depressing the hell out of me.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm a night shift boy so the only thing changing for me is weekends, I guess.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    I feel like people are talking about all this stuff they're gonna do with their free time in quarantine, and I'm realizing that since all my work can be done remotely...I'm not really gonna have any extra free time, just long weeks/months of the same stuff but without personal interactions.

I think that realization, more than the isolation itself, is depressing the hell out of me.

Think of the savings in commute

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    So the maid of honor at my wedding, someone I have been friends with since jr high in the 90s has it. She works for the Army as a biochemist in Maryland and was exposed at work the first half of last week. The person with it found out Wed. The staff were notified Thursday and she had a fever and cough by Sunday.

Today I'm feeling especially worried for her and it sucks because theres nothing I can do

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    We have been super dead at work lately and I've been contemplating sending an email to the president of the company about how we could just go to half staff and reduce hours and it wouldn't cost the company anything because the demand on business isn't there so all we'd be doing is reducing employee exposure to the virus for free. I haven't sent this because here is how I see it playing out:

50% nothing.
    49.99999% fired.
    .000001% they fire me and I take my story to the news and this launches my political career as a hero willing to talk truth to power.

It's just...not a lot of upside for what's probably no or negative gain. I mean, I wish I worked at a place where coming up with ideas or suggestions wasn't considered an indictment on their management but hey, conservative white guys in America am I right?

I have the draft ready to go, I just don't know what to do.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So Whole Foods changed their policies and the first hour the stores are only open for people 60 or older.

Not terrible.

Massive crowds are showing up outside all the stores, lines tightly packed together, as they are compressing two busy hours into one.

Not great.

How did they not think this one through?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
This discussion has been closed.