Options

[MegaGame] Aegon's Conquest - A Throne of Dragon Skulls (Targaryen and Night's Watch Win)

• Options
    chanvreriechanvrerie Registered User regular
    balrog1911 wrote: »
    I think in all this time we revealed only two secrets about another house? We did not get lucky with that either.

Honestly, we revealed more secrets about ourselves than we did about anyone else.

• Options
    BoomthorkellBoomthorkell Registered User regular
    I definitely sold secrets to the Night's Watch.

@Kayne Red Robe remembers. Ha ha, I didn't lie when I said "I never played secrets on a House!"

• Options
    I think it's great people can finally vent after a game like this.
    Get stuff out in the air.

Personally, I was never going to be convinced away from enjoying the game and the strategy I desired, to pursue the antithesis of that, especially when it felt like even more of a losing game to do so. I was pretty clear and upfront on that too, so it ain't like it was a surprise, or some unknowable factor you couldn't consider.

I hold no qualms with any of ya.
    Very happy with the strategy and the risks involved, while sad it didn't work mechanically, but entirely ok that it didn't.
    I didn't really know Kayne Red Robes prior to playing or my Martell friendship strategy, but I def now know they were a bro til the end. Very Cool.

I hope you all had a interesting time, and will probably butt heads in the next phalla/megagame, or be a host.

Bluecyan (Starks )and Schuss (Lannister) and Balrog (Arynn) were definitely diplomatic enough to pull me away from supporting Hoare.

I felt basically like Old Testament God dealing with the Chosen People making poor choices. Not the greatest for diplomacy, that's true.

Though, I did succeed in getting peace between you guys and Lannister, which turned out to be a terrible idea several turn later, ha ha ha. I assumed other houses were as "Diplomacy the Game" oriented as I was. Really, I just thought this:

"Men would not be sad. Men would be wroth. Men would hate and swear a bloody vengeance. The singers sings sad songs, where men would fight and kill."
    Bran Stark's Thoughts on the Children of the Forest

Diplomacy is a fantastic game, I've played a few games with folk over in Critical Failures, and on online services.
    Submit orders once a day type deal with dedicated apps.

Lots of really fun games being played on the forum over there. Folk should give it a look.
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/critical-failures

Though not sure if any diplomacy style games are being played at this moment.
    A lot of Twilight Imperium tho, and custom mafia games (Phalla)

Oh, I've played those before! What I mean more is the concept of "working with a team for a period of time, then moving on, never letting one person have the advantage."

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Also it was hard not to vote out @kime.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    That is a way to play those games sure,
    and I've def been a ruthless rat bastard before, but that wasn't my goal this time.
    Were I in position where Martell and Gardener was tied at a peak, I'm sure we would have come to blows.

But like, avoiding long term consistent alliances isn't the only way to win or have a good time.
    It would be one thing if we were some sort of puppet player to the Martells, but we gave very little actionable demands to each other.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I'm excited to see what surprises our hosts have for us!
    Should be a lot of fun!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    That is a way to play those games sure,
    and I've def been a ruthless rat bastard before, but that wasn't my goal this time.
    Were I in position where Martell and Gardener was tied at a peak, I'm sure we would have come to blows.

But like, avoiding long term consistent alliances isn't not the only way to win or have a good time.
    It would be one thing if we were some sort of puppet player to the Martells, but we gave very little actionable demands to each other.

It felt like it for most of the game to be honest. Like you weren't playing to win, but playing to help Martell win.

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Also, who told Stark we'd used secrets on them? Stark bought it Hook line and sinker, it was very frustrating trying to get anything out of them for several turns after that.

It might have been me, I don't remember. I insinuated a lot of things.

But for what it's worth: House Arryn seriously, seriously didn't reveal a single Stark secret! We didn't get a single one, and we tried several times!

We had rather few allies throughout the game, when our second secret got revealed looking back we only had alliances with the Martels and Arryn from the last few turns. That is why I was pretty darn certain @Kayne Red Robe had used the brief alliance to strike at us since we were on the top and they wouldn't have an opportunity otherwise (not a bad idea all things considered). Combined with the Arryn being pretty darn chummy at the time and the reply to my I know what you did comment read as sarcarsm. Sorry if this was misplaced, my guess is it was the Wall, which at the time I didn't expect since I was assuming we were the only ones providing aide to the wall (this was built on the rule that all trades were public information which... turned out to not be true).

Me suspecting the Arryns late game was just my standard paranoia, four secrets out and they were the only allies for the majority of the game was at least more stable than most of my conspiracy theories. I guess I must have said something wrong in my dealings with Slym.

To build off Facetious' comment, we seemed to get hit with a LOT of bad events, and all of those randomly lose a resource was ALWAYS grain which we was our critical resource (on top of losing 3 from a special event on day). It probably comes as a shock to no one that after round one we never got the intrigue gold.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    The attack on Gardner was motivated by my lack of grain and love of the raid mechanic. Also, when times were tough it was the Targaryns who stood with us as we fought on all fronts.
    There were plenty of moments when @Zonugal swung through with "House X wants us to drop Gardner but we're not gonna do that cause they're our besties" And I was very much with him. Then Lannister tried to take the Iron Islands again and I figured the resources had to be coming from somewhere cause I had raided most of Lannister lands.

The complete plan would have had me sail right to the southern coasts of Dorne, who i suspect was the true coffer in that scenario but Gardner forces intercepted my raiders and I was unable to leave before Martell re-positioned to a defense.

• Options
    Yeah, the closeness to the Targaryens was also a factor, especially with the flood of pms I was having with them, IE Betrayal.

My impression was the Lannisters were self financed.
    If your plan hit, you would have gotten very little benefit from hitting martell.
    Glad you found good allies, who provided good benefits, that was def a boone for you.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    Also, who told Stark we'd used secrets on them? Stark bought it Hook line and sinker, it was very frustrating trying to get anything out of them for several turns after that.

But for what it's worth: House Arryn seriously, seriously didn't reveal a single Stark secret! We didn't get a single one, and we tried several times!

We had rather few allies throughout the game, when our second secret got revealed looking back we only had alliances with the Martels and Arryn from the last few turns. That is why I was pretty darn certain @Kayne Red Robe had used the brief alliance to strike at us since we were on the top and they wouldn't have an opportunity otherwise (not a bad idea all things considered). Combined with the Arryn being pretty darn chummy at the time and the reply to my I know what you did comment read as sarcarsm. Sorry if this was misplaced, my guess is it was the Wall, which at the time I didn't expect since I was assuming we were the only ones providing aide to the wall (this was built on the rule that all trades were public information which... turned out to not be true).

Me suspecting the Arryns late game was just my standard paranoia, four secrets out and they were the only allies for the majority of the game was at least more stable than most of my conspiracy theories. I guess I must have said something wrong in my dealings with Slym.

To build off Facetious' comment, we seemed to get hit with a LOT of bad events, and all of those randomly lose a resource was ALWAYS grain which we was our critical resource (on top of losing 3 from a special event on day). It probably comes as a shock to no one that after round one we never got the intrigue gold.

That was basically my house doing the intrigue. Honestly, we only turned on you when we thought they're going to win the game if we don't do anything and they're allied to our enemies, and not going to fight them. If at any point Hoare or Arryn were going to consume you (a la the Stormlands), you could count on House Targaryen to ally you and stop intriguing you.

Boomthorkell on
  • Options
    Allanon KisigarAllanon Kisigar Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Sorry, House Stark, but two of those secrets were actually me. We were allied for a little bit mid-late game, and I got some really lucky rolls. (It's funny to know I was never even suspected)

There were definitely some frustrations in the game (after @H3Knuckles went to join the Night's Watch, I was literally running the house by myself), but also there were some really fun moments as well. Lord Commander @SLyM cut us an extremely lucrative deal in exchange for our Heir, as well, the support from which helped keep Durrandon from complete collapse for a while there.

Allanon Kisigar on
  • Options
    balrog1911balrog1911 Registered User regular

Yea, the trades being public information was a bit of a mixed message in the end. I think in a future running of this game, that's information that really should be made public, and would help with the fact that we're all basically trying to predict what other houses can do/have got/will have.

But, uh.
    You can blame us for a few of those grain losses. Though not the secret that cost you three at once.

Woops?

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Yeah, the closeness to the Targaryens was also a factor, especially with the flood of pms I was having with them, IE Betrayal.

My impression was the Lannisters were self financed.
    If your plan hit, you would have gotten very little benefit from hitting martell.
    Glad you found good allies, who provided good benefits, that was def a boone for you.

Really, I was only trying to keep my plans for the Stormlands secret when I realized it was basically impossible to get you to work against Martell. Then I kept trying, and meant every word I said. Our alliance with Hoare remained one of friendly and mutual desperation, and never one of "there's a perfectly good oppurtunity to stab them and make amazing gains, but we're not going to take it." Trying the Trident on Round 1 was my worst idea of the game. Apologies again @JusticeforPluto .

Boomthorkell on
  • Options
    Sorry, House Stark, but two of those secrets were actually me. We were allied for a little bit mid-late game, and I got some really lucky rolls. (It's funny to know I was never even suspected)

There were definitely some frustrations in the game (after @H3Knuckles went to join the Night's Watch, I was literally running the house by myself), but also there were some really fun moments as well. Lord Commander @SLyM cut us an extremely lucrative deal in exchange for our Heir, as well, the support from which helped keep Durrandon from complete collapse for a while there.

OHHH, that makes sense! Man, brilliant play, and best Maester of the game. "The Scholar Lord."

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    How far did everyone get with researching & gaining links in the different chain paths?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options

OHHH, that makes sense! Man, brilliant play, and best Maester of the game. "The Scholar Lord."

Note about Night's Watch perks: They don't need an alliance to delve, they can go looking for relics wherever they want!

Some of those relics were invaluable assistance as well.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Zonugal wrote: »
    How far did everyone get with researching & gaining links in the different chain paths?

Frankly, the Dice Maiden just hated my forge link rolls. I ended the game with 6 links total, half of which were not actually from forge rolls. (One from the comet event, two from relics)

Platinum (chivalry): While in a land with a Grain icon, your armies gain +1 to Give Battle rolls.
    Brass (animal husbandry): Gain +1 Cattle during Harvest.
    Tin (agriculture): Gain +1 Grain during Harvest.
    Silver (medicine & healing): The Heir ignores the penalty for rolling a 6 or less on Delve. In addition, once per turn you may remove an Oppose token from one of your armies.
    Grandmaester of Pastures and Villages: While your army is on a land with a Cattle Resource icon, treat its results of 7‐9 on Give Battle as if they were 10+.
    Steel (Forestry): Gain +1 Lumber during Harvest. In addition, while your army is on a land with a Lumber Resource icon, treat its results of 7‐9 on Give Battle as if they were 10+.

And then last minute I got Pale Steel as well.

Allanon Kisigar on
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Maester:
    -Links:
    Steel (forestry): Gain +1 Lumber during Harvest.
    Platinum (chivalry): While in a land with a Grain icon, your armies gain +1 to Give Battle rolls.
    Brass (animal husbandry): Gain +1 Cattle during Harvest.
    Copper (history): Once per turn, you may reroll a die roll made when you Arrange A Marriage.
    Electrum (astrology): When you would normally gain a Blank X in Beauty on your Bloodlines Card, you may instead choose to make that X either Purple or Blue.
    Red Gold (statecraft): You can propose and maintain two additional alliances each turn.
    Iron (warfare): After you roll a 10+ on Conquer, you may immediately gain a bonus Force March action and can use this even in the Winter.
    Grandmaester of Families and Heraldry: Once per turn, you may reroll the die for a trait after you've arranged a marriage. On a roll of 1-3, it is blank. On 4-6, it is the trait of your choice from the current card.

Mostly the work of @Zombie Hero , ALL PRAISE THE TARGARYEN BRAINS!

Boomthorkell on
  • Options

There were definitely some frustrations in the game (after H3Knuckles went to join the Night's Watch, I was literally running the house by myself), but also there were some really fun moments as well. Lord Commander SLyM cut us an extremely lucrative deal in exchange for our Heir, as well, the support from which helped keep Durrandon from complete collapse for a while there.

Don't feel bad, I completely suspected you too. The random Stark army in the south mid game was intended to put some pressure on people and give us something to do after the North was stable (before the great grain shortage). I told Virgil as much but after getting my secrets outed I let him know it wasn't going to be thing and gave him my blessing to crush you guys.

• Options

Note about Night's Watch perks: They don't need an alliance to delve, they can go looking for relics wherever they want!

Magpie Night's Watch Heirs are amazing.

• Options

There were definitely some frustrations in the game (after H3Knuckles went to join the Night's Watch, I was literally running the house by myself), but also there were some really fun moments as well. Lord Commander SLyM cut us an extremely lucrative deal in exchange for our Heir, as well, the support from which helped keep Durrandon from complete collapse for a while there.

Don't feel bad, I completely suspected you too. The random Stark army in the south mid game was intended to put some pressure on people and give us something to do after the North was stable (before the great grain shortage). I told Virgil as much but after getting my secrets outed I let him know it wasn't going to be thing and gave him my blessing to crush you guys.

Your invasion of the South was actually the happiest thing I saw in game. It made me go, "This is the kind of wild attacks and alliances I was looking foward to." It really brought about a sea-change.

• Options
    chanvreriechanvrerie Registered User regular

One full chain, and I was three links into a second chain and would have gotten the full chain on this last round if @balrog1911 hadn't told me that we needed a resource boost from another chain's link more.

• Options

Magpie Night's Watch Heirs are amazing.

Yup! This one I got them to dig up for me after my heir went there was the only thing that kept me going in that long-ass winter.

Tourmaline Amethyst - When you Harvest in Winter, gain +1 Wheat and +1 Iron

• Options
    Also, we Targs managed to get our hands on two dragon eggs, and then the assassin killed our chance to hatch them.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020

First to Grand Maester (Families & Heraldry) - beating Stark by, I think, the turn order. Most of that was Shalmelo's work but I fed him a ton of crystals.

Then came the dark times where I, and basically anyone else from Gardener, couldn't make a roll to save our lives. More or less literally.

Still snuck another 3 in in garbage-time.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Also, we Targs managed to get our hands on two dragon eggs, and then the assassin killed our chance to hatch them.

It made me sad you were never able to use the one I traded you. It would have been glorious to see Targaryen rampaging around with two dragon-reinforced armies.

• Options
    Not to step on Maester @docrimbo 's toes, but here was Stark's final tally:

-Links:
    Bronze (astronomy): Twice per turn, you may choose to reroll the die used to determine if the seasons change.
    Pewter (Measurements): When you trade Resource cards to the Free Cities for gold, you spend one fewer cards.
    Black Iron (ravenry): Whenever the Maester uses Visit Rookery, tend to an additional raven.
    Valyrian Steel (magic & the occult): Gain +1 to Research Legends and Delve rolls.
    Grandmaester of Stars and Figures: After all Houses have had a chance to reroll the Season Die, you get 1 final reroll of the die
    Steel (forestry): Gain +1 Lumber during Harvest, and an additional Lumber during Winter.
    Pale Steel (smithing): Gain +1 Iron during Harvest, and an additional Iron during Winter.
    Lead (surveying & roads): When your armies Force March, they may move one additional space.
    Yellow Gold (economics): Gain +1 Gold during Harvest.
    Grandmaester of Fire and Industry: You may Force March 1 Army in Winter
    Platinum (chivalry): While in a land with a Grain icon, your armies gain +1 to Give Battle rolls. During Winter, this bonus also applies to lands with Lumber icons.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    balrog1911balrog1911 Registered User regular
    What relics did everyone have?

• Options
    facetious wrote: »
    Not to step on Maester docrimbo 's toes, but here was Stark's final tally:

-Links:
    Bronze (astronomy): Twice per turn, you may choose to reroll the die used to determine if the seasons change.
    Pewter (Measurements): When you trade Resource cards to the Free Cities for gold, you spend one fewer cards.
    Black Iron (ravenry): Whenever the Maester uses Visit Rookery, tend to an additional raven.
    Valyrian Steel (magic & the occult): Gain +1 to Research Legends and Delve rolls.
    Grandmaester of Stars and Figures: After all Houses have had a chance to reroll the Season Die, you get 1 final reroll of the die
    Steel (forestry): Gain +1 Lumber during Harvest, and an additional Lumber during Winter.
    Pale Steel (smithing): Gain +1 Iron during Harvest, and an additional Iron during Winter.
    Lead (surveying & roads): When your armies Force March, they may move one additional space.
    Yellow Gold (economics): Gain +1 Gold during Harvest.
    Grandmaester of Fire and Industry: You may Force March 1 Army in Winter
    Platinum (chivalry): While in a land with a Grain icon, your armies gain +1 to Give Battle rolls. During Winter, this bonus also applies to lands with Lumber icons.

Big thanks to facetious and docrimbo on all of this and all the work in the citadel. For the most part we split the duties with wildcat and me handling the war effort and those two getting a lot of great links and getting several rounds of Winter.

• Options
    Basically, the foundation of Targaryan diplomacy was to make allies with the Houses that got beat up early.

I think it paid of pretty well, but did it deliver us the ultimate prize? We'll see.

• Options
    Shade of the Evening - Once per game, gain a new link on your Maester’s chain (used, Valyrian Steel)
    Weirwood Throne - When your armies are routed, they can treat lands without control stickers as allied.
    Godswood - When you roll a 10+ on Dig Up Dirt, you may give the Citadel GM any one resource card to gain one additional secrets card on an ally.

I got Godswood today. (Spoilers.)

Real strong, facetious.

• Options

It made me sad you were never able to use the one I traded you. It would have been glorious to see Targaryen rampaging around with two dragon-reinforced armies.

Oh...I know...

• Options
    edited April 2020

-Relics:
    Dragon Egg: Once per game, if your Heir has all Purple X Traits, choose one army and hatch a dragon. That army permanently gains Support and ignores the effects of Strongholds.
    Dragon Egg: Once per game, if your Heir has all Purple X Traits, choose one army and hatch a dragon. That army permanently gains Support and ignores the effects of Strongholds.
    Penance Hoard (Valyrian Steel Dagger): Enemy armies suffer a -1 penalty to Give Battle rolls against your armies.
    And an unknown 4th Relic.

Boomthorkell on
  • Options
    When I got Shade of the Evening, narratively it was a blue potion that the maester took. I wondered if anybody noticed this bit in the narration of turn 10:

"Stark's Maester, Docrimbo, had been elevated to the Grandmaester of Stars and Figures for his work in charting the elements and accurately predicting the change of seasons, his lips tinged a strange hue of blue as he presented his findings."

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

-Relics:
    Penance Hoard (Valyrian Steel Dagger): Enemy armies suffer a -1 penalty to Give Battle rolls against your armies.
    And an unknown 4th Relic.

Glass Candle:+1 to forge link rolls

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    When I got Shade of the Evening, narratively it was a blue potion that the maester took. I wondered if anybody noticed this bit in the narration of turn 10:

"Stark's Maester, Docrimbo, had been elevated to the Grandmaester of Stars and Figures for his work in charting the elements and accurately predicting the change of seasons, his lips tinged a strange hue of blue as he presented his findings."

I did, I thought you were an Other for the longest time. Was worried all the Maesters were in on some nefarious dealings.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Shade of the Evening - Once per game, gain a new link on your Maester’s chain (used, Valyrian Steel)
    Weirwood Throne - When your armies are routed, they can treat lands without control stickers as allied.
    Godswood - When you roll a 10+ on Dig Up Dirt, you may give the Citadel GM any one resource card to gain one additional secrets card on an ally.

I got Godswood today. (Spoilers.)

I like that Weirwood one, very cool. I also like how the Relics are House (or at least, trait) specific it seems.

Boomthorkell on
  • Options
    So fun fact I've been suffering horrible insomnia on top of being even more depressed than usual, so there were days I had a hard time focusing on the game (literally as in it was hard to string thoughts together) but I've really enjoyed it.

My Stark brethren were wonderful, and my joke from earlier aside, 'twas a pleasure to play with all of you.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options

I DID!

I didn't know it meant you found the relic though, etc. I just knew what he was drinking, ha ha.