Options

[MegaGame] Aegon's Conquest - A Throne of Dragon Skulls (Targaryen and Night's Watch Win)

• Options
    BoomthorkellBoomthorkell Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    balrog1911 wrote: »
    What relics did everyone have?

-Relics:
    Dragon Egg: Once per game, if your Heir has all Purple X Traits, choose one army and hatch a dragon. That army permanently gains Support and ignores the effects of Strongholds.
    Dragon Egg: Once per game, if your Heir has all Purple X Traits, choose one army and hatch a dragon. That army permanently gains Support and ignores the effects of Strongholds.
    Penance Hoard (Valyrian Steel Dagger): Enemy armies suffer a -1 penalty to Give Battle rolls against your armies.
    And an unknown 4th Relic.

Glass Candle:+1 to forge link rolls

NICEEEE...

Poor @CedrickC

Boomthorkell on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    One thing I'm curious about is how the other Heirs used their actions. For me, there were only a couple turns I didn't have a military action, it was pretty much by default that I'd assist our army somehow (and in hindsight, there were a couple turns we were probably overly paranoid and I probably could have used a different action), otherwise I mostly delved or, when able, researched legends. I did once use the ability to form an extra alliance, although we ended up only having two that turn anyway.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Yeah of course we get that on the last turn...lol.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    facetious wrote: »
    So fun fact I've been suffering horrible insomnia on top of being even more depressed than usual, so there were days I had a hard time focusing on the game (literally as in it was hard to string thoughts together) but I've really enjoyed it.

My Stark brethren were wonderful, and my joke from earlier aside, 'twas a pleasure to play with all of you.

I've got a sleep tea I made for a friend that's pretty effective if you want some. I'll just need a shipping address, and a quick run down of any allergies. It's called "Valyrian Knockout." As a warning, it is strong and causes strange dreams, but it isn't addictive like normal sleep meds, which is a plus. Nor does it turn your lips blue, which may or may not be a plus, depending on your sense of fashion.

Boomthorkell on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I think it's great people can finally vent after a game like this.
    Get stuff out in the air.

Personally, I was never going to be convinced away from enjoying the game and the strategy I desired, to pursue the antithesis of that, especially when it felt like even more of a losing game to do so. I was pretty clear and upfront on that too, so it ain't like it was a surprise, or some unknowable factor you couldn't consider.

I hold no qualms with any of ya.
    Very happy with the strategy and the risks involved, while sad it didn't work mechanically, but entirely ok that it didn't.
    I didn't really know Kayne Red Robes prior to playing or my Martell friendship strategy, but I def now know they were a bro til the end. Very Cool.

I hope you all had a interesting time, and will probably butt heads in the next phalla/megagame, or be a host.

Bluecyan (Starks )and Schuss (Lannister) and Balrog (Arynn) were definitely diplomatic enough to pull me away from supporting Hoare.

Ok.
    It sucks joining a game late to increase player count, and being pitted against day 0 strategy.
    Will have to remember to randomise houses at game start if I ever host anything.

But that's on top of Durradon's lack of iron and plain poor (and weakest) starting map position respective to Martell, the hostile chat, hosts not being perfect, the struggle between unhealthily consuming all the rules and roles and leaving power to the other team-mates.

I still don't know how we afforded the third army.

I'm sorry I signed up at all and wouldn't have if I had remembered the previous game.

So my congratulations and apologies to the remaining team members of Durradon @Allanon Kisigar, @H3Knuckles

And my apologies to the hosts.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I really botched the generate gold to help Shalmelo indiana jones plan
    They became super useful from our tech, and I think it was probably less exciting to play for them, as we had a lot of specific requests for their actions. I dunno what where your thoughts on that?
    That's def a regret I have during this game was when I felt like I wasn't giving players enough room and agency.

I also wish I understood Conspiracy better.
    My excellent Maester Auralynx wanted it to be a cornerstone of our diplomacy but I frankly didn't understand how it worked till the later half of the game. (wasn't sure if banner order was set up each time based in the order of who had most votes, or if it only determined first place).
    I wasn't quite even sure who I would want to be number 1 in banner order, beyond Gardener, Hoare, Martell.
    Though at the end, being last had it's benefits.
    You can't give orders to follow or avoid someone, if you go first.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    discrider wrote: »

Personally, I was never going to be convinced away from enjoying the game and the strategy I desired, to pursue the antithesis of that, especially when it felt like even more of a losing game to do so. I was pretty clear and upfront on that too, so it ain't like it was a surprise, or some unknowable factor you couldn't consider.

Very happy with the strategy and the risks involved, while sad it didn't work mechanically, but entirely ok that it didn't.
    I didn't really know Kayne Red Robes prior to playing or my Martell friendship strategy, but I def now know they were a bro til the end. Very Cool.

I hope you all had a interesting time, and will probably butt heads in the next phalla/megagame, or be a host.

Bluecyan (Starks )and Schuss (Lannister) and Balrog (Arynn) were definitely diplomatic enough to pull me away from supporting Hoare.

Ok.
    It sucks joining a game late to increase player count, and being pitted against day 0 strategy.
    Will have to remember to randomise houses at game start if I ever host anything.

But that's on top of Durradon's lack of iron and plain poor (and weakest) starting map position respective to Martell, the hostile chat, hosts not being perfect, the struggle between unhealthily consuming all the rules and roles and leaving power to the other team-mates.

I still don't know how we afforded the third army.

I'm sorry I signed up at all and wouldn't have if I had remembered the previous game.

So my congratulations and apologies to the remaining team members of Durradon @Allanon Kisigar, @H3Knuckles

And my apologies to the hosts.

Your position was made much harder by the...existence of a Southern Alliance. Normal policy would have been, "Take a territory or two, then stab your partner and make a new deal." Or better yet, "Partner takes a territory or two, then stab them and work with the house they attacked." But that didn't happen, even when warning was given and painful events were unleashed.

We swooped down to help a turn or so after you left, when we finally made a genuinely equitable peace with Arryn.

Boomthorkell on
  • Options
    chanvreriechanvrerie Registered User regular
    When I got Shade of the Evening, narratively it was a blue potion that the maester took. I wondered if anybody noticed this bit in the narration of turn 10:

"Stark's Maester, Docrimbo, had been elevated to the Grandmaester of Stars and Figures for his work in charting the elements and accurately predicting the change of seasons, his lips tinged a strange hue of blue as he presented his findings."

I did, I thought you were an Other for the longest time. Was worried all the Maesters were in on some nefarious dealings.

The Maesters Are Not Up To Anything At All And Certainly Not Anything Nefarious, No Sir.

• Options
    CedrickCCedrickC Registered User new member
    One thing I'm curious about is how the other Heirs used their actions. For me, there were only a couple turns I didn't have a military action, it was pretty much by default that I'd assist our army somehow (and in hindsight, there were a couple turns we were probably overly paranoid and I probably could have used a different action), otherwise I mostly delved or, when able, researched legends. I did once use the ability to form an extra alliance, although we ended up only having two that turn anyway.

As the Targaryen Maester, my highest goal was ensuring our heir was able to forge links.

• Options
    Some of the Houses had much better Geography than the others. I think Martell and Stark had it best, as the lack of an enemy to the north or south really helps.

I know we always had 4 houses around us.

As for lacking resources, I think its to drive conflict and trade. Lots of houses were short on resource and heavy on another.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    CedrickC wrote: »

As the Targaryen Maester, my highest goal was ensuring our heir was able to forge links.

And by Gods, Old and New, did he do it. Arch-GeneMaester @CedrickC

Boomthorkell on
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

Mostly extra military and research. I did a delve once. On nights were genes and relic locations weren’t available, I would intrigue a rival house mostly and dig up dirt occasionally.

I don’t think I ever successfully got a rumor all game

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Some of the Houses had much better Geography than the others. I think Martell and Stark had it best, as the lack of an enemy to the north or south really helps.

As for lacking resources, I think its to drive conflict and trade. Lots of houses were short on resource and heavy on another.

Well, Stark could actually be entirely screwed by an allaince of Hoare and Arryn. Likewise, Martell by a dedicated alliance of Durrandon and Gardener, or vice versa. Martell even has a fort bordering their capital. Again, dedicated alliances are the real game changer.

Hoare of course does have a hard start.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020

Ok.

I would have made the same deal to gang up on a shared foe, no matter who I was set up as.
    Push most neighbors away from my territory toward other targets, was my goal.
    I def don't think things were fated against you. I was the ally of Lannister for half the game.
    Hoare invaded us in the end.
    The alliance with martell started quite tenious at first, very much like a prisoner dilemma situation
    I also waited for the game to start properly, with people who could react, and do counter deals before I sent my message.
    Martell can testify that I told them I wanted to wait before discussing diplomacy.
    I am sorry you had a bad time though and have bitter thoughts about it. There is a big investment of time here, and I think that's normal when it goes bad.

If the dice fell the other way, I'd probably be set up carving up Lannister, with us ending our feud.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options

Mostly extra military and research. I did a delve once. On nights were genes and relic locations weren’t available, I would intrigue a rival house mostly and dig up dirt occasionally.

I don’t think I ever successfully got a rumor all game

Yeah, hopefully it never bored you. Your hands were almost as bloody as the Butcher of Blackwater's.

• Options

Ok.

I would have made the same deal to gang up on a shared foe, no matter who I was set up as.
    I def don't think things were fated against you. I was the ally of Lannister for half the game.
    The alliance with martell started quite tenious at first, very much like a prisoner dilemma situation
    I also waited for the game to start properly, with people who could react, and do counter deals before I sent my message.
    Martell can testify that I told them I wanted to wait before discussing diplomacy.
    I am sorry you had a bad time though and have bitter thoughts about it. There is a big investment of time here, and I think that's normal when it goes bad.

If the dice fell the other way, I'd probably be set up carving up Lannister, with us ending our feud.

Use an army to stab Martell while you fight Lannister, then work with Durrandon to crush Martell a bit. It's just unlikely to be in a such a position and not get stabbed.

• Options

Ok.

This was a big reason we didn't invade Durrandon and in fact helped them. We felt it must suck to be the people in that position, having two houses fighting you and already losing half your land.

In the end, and especially with my previous Megagame experience, I wanted to play to win but not at the cost of ruining any ones day.

• Options

Ok.

This was a big reason we didn't invade Durrandon and in fact helped them. We felt it must suck to be the people in that position, having two houses fighting you and already losing half your land.

In the end, and especially with my previous Megagame experience, I wanted to play to win but not at the cost of ruining any ones day.

Well, that and it's unlikely we would win letting Martell eat them, ha ha. There were more armies in play for that war with a living Durrandon than us alone, even with any resource gains we might have made.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Boy did we...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

I had double purple brains for most of the game so there were a whole bunch of turns where my actions were 1) attempt to forge a link and 2) whatever the Knight wanted for the army. Tried to delve four times and whiffed on all four, three of which lost me the location. I hit on a few links early which pushed us into an early lead in the tech race, then failed pretty much all of my rolls on anything for the rest of the game

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

Ok.

Durradon starts the game with no iron for armies and two long borders with people who do have iron.
    And a Martell stronghold next door for build+push shenanigans, with Martell stuck between choosing either beating down on Durradon or Gardener (only other house with no iron) for expansion.

The Martell invasion seems like it would happen most games, as they have the resources to field a large contingent and Durradon does not. We could not trade for iron either, as everyone else eyes more armies.
    The only counterbalance being the game nearing an end and Gardener opening up on the Martell's other front.
    Which, normally the game ends turn 8-9, so Durradon could normally expect that sooner rather than later.

Also, a house is defeated when they lose all territory by my reading.
    Can't Conquer anything new without existing territory.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i also extend my sympathy to Durrandon's predicament, and will state that i had no idea their knight was... never playing? did they?

but also, like... we didn't play the game wrong. To boom's repeated claims of what was "normal policy" and "sensible policy" and "playing properly"--how you feel the ideal game of aegon's conquest is not an objective truth! the turn-0 alliance was not some immutable bloodpact, it was an alliance like any other in the game, based on assessing our starting positions. there was not something that existed outside the game that led to it. we continually renewed because it was beneficial to each of us. the impact from our alliance, and how other houses responded continued to give us cause to renew it!

it's cool to have your preferences for play, and even how you think a game might go, but dogging us for not playing some sort of platonic waltz of great powers is grating a bit.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Hoare were on the flip side of the Durandon situation, being next to a Stark (Martell), who had less options for expansion.
    Super tough situation.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Allanon KisigarAllanon Kisigar Registered User regular

Ok.

Durradon starts the game with no iron for armies and two long borders with people who do have iron.
    And a Martell stronghold next door for build+push shenanigans, with Martell stuck between choosing either beating down on Durradon or Gardener (only other house with no iron) for expansion.

The Martell invasion seems like it would happen most games, as they have the resources to field a large contingent and Durradon does not. We could not trade for iron either, as everyone else eyes more armies.
    The only counterbalance being the game nearing an end and Gardener opening up on the Martell's other front.
    Which, normally the game ends turn 8-9, so Durradon could normally expect that sooner rather than later.

You can always conquer your own house seat, even if you control no territory.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    i also extend my sympathy to Durrandon's predicament, and will state that i had no idea their knight was... never playing? did they?

but also, like... we didn't play the game wrong. To boom's repeated claims of what was "normal policy" and "sensible policy" and "playing properly"--how you feel the ideal game of aegon's conquest is not an objective truth! the turn-0 alliance was not some immutable bloodpact, it was an alliance like any other in the game, based on assessing our starting positions. there was not something that existed outside the game that led to it. we continually renewed because it was beneficial to each of us. the impact from our alliance, and how other houses responded continued to give us cause to renew it!

it's cool to have your preferences for play, and even how you think a game might go, but dogging us for not playing some sort of platonic waltz of great powers is grating a bit.

The Hosts literally warned us about it. Literally, and then punished us. It was actually a Host Post. My personal character flaw is that I see myself as some kind of arbitrator of that Justice, and feel the need to keep pointing it out, but it was called out by the officials. The strategy is also flawed in that it depends on someone not stabbing you when they have every reason in the world too, if they don't want to lose (and vice versa).

Boomthorkell on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    As an Heir, I spent nearly every day doing something at the Maester's table. Forging Links, Digging Dirt, or Researching Legends (never DWDW). Had a few Delves, only one unsuccessfully.

First half it seemed like I didn't really do much Knight stuff, did a few extra alliances and such. Second half was Knight stuff nearly daily.

We had two Targ Relic locations for days at the end and it was annoying to not end up able to do anything with them. We could have played that better probably.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

Well, Stark could actually be entirely screwed by an allaince of Hoare and Arryn. Likewise, Martell by a dedicated alliance of Durrandon and Gardener, or vice versa. Martell even has a fort bordering their capital. Again, dedicated alliances are the real game changer.

True, most houses have advantages and disadvantages. I'm hot sure they are all balanced, but there are there.

There are the "Polar" power, Martell and Stark to the north and south. A bit more spread out than the average starts.

Then the compact Targaryan Start. The down side I believe is we have two lands with 2 resources, which if lost can really hurt (and boy did it!)

The average starts are Lannister and Arryn. Good resources, Iron to raise more armies.

The Southern Kingdoms, Gardener and Durrandon, who are dependent on trade and pretty spread out.

Finally, the Hoare start. Man, what a mess. It hard to defend the land you have in the North so you have to be aggressive and take land to make up for any loses.

• Options

Ok.

Yeah, I def felt it would be you or me who would be attacked when I looked at the map.
    That early turn where I told you I was concerned they would be at my southern border, and next to you instead was legit.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I gotta say, glad I was an Heir. The Relic Delving was absolutely a ton of fun. I pushed a man down a hill!

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I gotta say, glad I was an Heir. The Relic Delving was absolutely a ton of fun. I pushed a man down a hill!

Ha ha, nice.

• Options
    balrog1911 wrote: »
    What relics did everyone have?

-Relics:
    Penance Hoard (Valyrian Steel Dagger): Enemy armies suffer a -1 penalty to Give Battle rolls against your armies.
    And an unknown 4th Relic.

Glass Candle:+1 to forge link rolls

NICEEEE...

Poor

Fortune's Fanged Return(Valyrian Steel Sword): +1 to Give Battle Rolls
    Golden Fang(Valyrian Steel Dagger): -1 to Enemy Give Battle Rolls
    Shade of the Evening - Once per game, gain a new link on your Maester’s chain (used, Iron)

• Options
    @Allanon Kisigar You also never responded to my generous offer I made in the PM!

• Options

The Hosts literally warned us about it. Literally, and then punished us. It was actually a Host Post.

No one was "punished" for doing anything. There were negative random events, yes, but bad things occasionally happening is not the same as being punished.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

Ok.

houses can always muster an army for free in their house seat when they're out of armies, regardless of whether they control it, I believe

as far as house advantages--and this is the only game i've played, so i'm no expert--it seems like durrandon does have a lot of power in actually giving battle, is the thing, and especially as defense. Natural +1 to give battle on their lands, a bonus give battle before moves even for an iron link, a lot of territory-dependent bonuses

martell has less in their favor to actually win the battles in the moment; i think that's the idea behind the balancing at least. martell does have a very nice, balanced resource base, but the house seat is right next to a continuous sequence of Durrandon strongholds... which was really the motivating factor there as far as making first strikes

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    @Allanon Kisigar You also never responded to my generous offer I made in the PM!

There's honestly been a few times I dropped the ball on keeping up with PM stuff. It just ends up being too much to keep track of everything when I'm trying to juggle the whole house and keep it running.

• Options
    The TL;DR was you lack a Lord or Heir, can I be King Baratheon the First?

• Options
    edited April 2020

The Hosts literally warned us about it. Literally, and then punished us. It was actually a Host Post.

No one was "punished" for doing anything. There were negative random events, yes, but bad things occasionally happening is not the same as being punished.

Ah, there was definitely a warning, and it was targeted (Does no one remember that post?). We were even targeted when we dumped everything on Tarth, which was fair (The Duskendale revolt, I'm pretty sure). We also felt the normal military consequences of that decision, with the blitz raids by Martell and Gardener. (Gardener paid a similar cost in regards to their focus on Durrandon with Hoare, and Martell by getting bogged down in the Stormlands instead of rapid gains against an open Gardener.)

Boomthorkell on
  • Options
    I gotta say, theres a lot I COULD complain about, but none of it is the Hosts fault and I really didn't have the time/desire to step into a Lord role and do a ton of diplomacy all day, so I can't complain because the Hosts stepped in, did all of that, and I got to do my part. Sucks things fell apart but these things happens and its no big deal.

• Options

Ok.

houses can always muster an army for free in their house seat when they're out of armies, regardless of whether they control it, I believe

as far as house advantages--and this is the only game i've played, so i'm no expert--it seems like durrandon does have a lot of power in actually giving battle, is the thing, and especially as defense. Natural +1 to give battle on their lands, a bonus give battle before moves even for an iron link, a lot of territory-dependent bonuses

martell has less in their favor to actually win the battles in the moment; i think that's the idea behind the balancing at least. martell does have a very nice, balanced resource base, but the house seat is right next to a continuous sequence of Durrandon strongholds... which was really the motivating factor there as far as making first strikes

Sounds about right.

• Options
    Yeah, I remember the hosts making a post about how the game was supposed to be about shifting alliances, and how they were going to add events to shake things up.

I took the Crusade and the Zombies to be just that, especially given the Houses they targeted.