As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Just for fun, the 24 Inner Sphere mechs that were in every starter box during the Unseen era (and where you can get updated minis of them), in no particular order:
    1. Commando - AGOAC boxed set & Inner Sphere Resistance mech pack
    2. Spider - Support Lance mech pack
    3. Panther - Striker Lance mech pack
    4. Jenner - Striker Lance mech pack
    5. Hermes II
    6. Cicada
    7. Assassin
    8. Vindicator
    9. Whitworth
    10. Clint
    11. Enforcer - Urban Lance mech pack
    12. Hunchback - Urban Lance mech pack
    13. Dervish
    14. Trebuchet - Fire Lance mech pack
    15. Dragon - Support Lance mech pack
    16. Quickdraw
    17. Catapult - AGOAC boxed set & Inner Sphere Resistance mech pack
    18. Jagermech
    19. Grasshopper - Heavy Lance mech pack
    20. Awesome - AGOAC boxed set & Inner Sphere Resistance mech pack
    21. Zeus - Fire Lance mech pack
    22. Cyclops - Support Lance mech pack
    23. Banshee - Heavy Lance mech pack
    24. Atlas - Dire Fire Lance mech pack

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    The Spider is definitely one of the more pure recon mechs. I like it, but can't say there's much point to it if you aren't playing some kind of scenario that heavily favors fast, lightly armed designs. It's not like the weapons are that bad though, it's only one less crit roll per turn compared to the Locust, Stinger, & Wasp. In return the Spider's weapons all have the same 0-9 range bracket (granted, so does the Wasp, but the Locust & Stinger have to get within 3 hexes to use the second half of their firepower), and slightly more firepower (5+5 vs 5+2+2). Also no ammunition to worry about. Armor wise it's a half a ton more than the Spider and Wasp, and only half a ton less than the Locust. And it's the overall quickest of the set, matching the Locust on foot and having more jump jets than either of the other two.

You just reminded me why I never chose the Spider when playing with my friends. I always took the Stinger or Wasp (mainly got stuck with the Wasp because of the SRMs) to scout. This was the only way I knew how to play with my favorite Macross/Robotech toys in school. Since MWO didn't have those two I tried out the Spider since it could jump, but yeah in that game scouting is not really useful so I ended up running the Locusts with their armor quirks (plus having more overall). You are making me really think of snagging this set to add the Spider to my scout team now (plus this way I'll also get the Cyclops and Dragon).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Betsuni wrote: »
    The Spider is definitely one of the more pure recon mechs. I like it, but can't say there's much point to it if you aren't playing some kind of scenario that heavily favors fast, lightly armed designs. It's not like the weapons are that bad though, it's only one less crit roll per turn compared to the Locust, Stinger, & Wasp. In return the Spider's weapons all have the same 0-9 range bracket (granted, so does the Wasp, but the Locust & Stinger have to get within 3 hexes to use the second half of their firepower), and slightly more firepower (5+5 vs 5+2+2). Also no ammunition to worry about. Armor wise it's a half a ton more than the Stinger and Wasp, and only half a ton less than the Locust. And it's the overall quickest of the set, matching the Locust on foot and having more jump jets than either of the other two.

You just reminded me why I never chose the Spider when playing with my friends. I always took the Stinger or Wasp (mainly got stuck with the Wasp because of the SRMs) to scout. This was the only way I knew how to play with my favorite Macross/Robotech toys in school. Since MWO didn't have those two I tried out the Spider since it could jump, but yeah in that game scouting is not really useful so I ended up running the Locusts with their armor quirks (plus having more overall). You are making me really think of snagging this set to add the Spider to my scout team now (plus this way I'll also get the Cyclops and Dragon).

The four of them (Locust, Spider, Stinger, and Wasp) are all definitely competing for the same mission profile. None of them are as good at punching above their weight class as the Commando, Firestarter, or Jenner IMHO.

My wishlist for future mini updates from CGL beyond Wave 2's additions:
    • Finish off the Inner Sphere starter 24
    • Do the rest of the 3055-era IIC clan mechs. There's a lot more IICs that came later, but the 3055 ones and the Hunchback IIC are the ones I'm most interested in having. Mainly because of Mechwarrior 2's use of the Jenner IIC, Rifleman IIC, Warhammer IIC, and Marauder IIC, only two of which are currently getting new minis. But completing the set also gets us the Locust, Phoenix Hawk, Griffin, & Shadow Hawk IIC's.
    • The Comstar series from the 3050's that served as inspiration for the SNES Mechwarrior game: the Nexus/Jackrabbit, Raijin, and Grand Crusader
    • The Firestarter: how did they miss this gem?
    • The Merlin: originally featured as the example in the construction rules. AFAIK it never got art for an official release until its inclusion in TRO 3058, but its stats are in the original box (it was even in the Battledroids rulebook, back before Lucasarts told FASA they owned the word 'droid') and lore-wise it was one of the first IS mechs created after the fall of the Star League.
    • The Annihilator: it's pretty memorable, if nothing else. IIRC, it's one of the designs the Wolf's Dragoons brought to the Inner Sphere from the clan homeworlds. Better than the Imp, at least.
    • The Mackie: it's an ugly piece of shit, but in the lore it's the original battlemech.
    • The Devastator: just a really fun IS assault mech from TRO 3058 if I remember correctly. 2x Gauss, 2x PPCs, 4x MLas, and it looks pretty good. It would be terrible for MWO though; tall humanoid with a broad chest and waist-height arm hardpoints.
    • On that note, the Fafnir.
    • Quads: the more the merrier, imho. At least the Barghest, Goliath, Scorpion, and Tarantula. That gets you a spread of weight classes and different styles of anatomy for quadrupedal designs, as well as being some of the earliest to be added to the game.
      • Add the Bishamon, Great Turtle, Sirocco, and Xanthos for another IS lance that predates the Jihad.
      • Add the Balius, Fire Scorpion, Snow Fox, Stalking Spider, and Thunder Stallion for a clan star.
      • Take the three Comstar bipeds I mentioned above and add the Blue Flame, Trebaruna, and White Flame for a Word of Blake level II from the Jihad.
      • Add 4 Revenants and 2 Liches for a drone quad mech level II from the Jihad era.
      • Araña, Jaguar, Stalking Spider II, Thunder Fox, and Tolva gets you a dark age clan star.
      • All the Quad Vees (clan quads that transform into tanks) make a single Star: Arion, Boreas, Cyllaros, Harpagos, and Notos
      • Lastly, there's three dark age Inner Sphere quads that I know of, so one more would make another lance: the Antlion, Sarath, and Ursa

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    And then, finally, the Bullshark. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    And then, finally, the Bullshark. :)

Honestly, it would be thrilling if CGL canonized the three modern-game originals (Roughneck, Sun Spider, Bullshark) and we got nice figs for them. Heck, they even have an opportunity to bring them in with the RecGuides; I think the only thing stopping them is getting the rights from PGI and HBS.

Until then, I've got my RGH and SNS printed, and I've got the model for the BSK queued up.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    You forgot the Corsair, Nips.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    You forgot the Corsair, Nips.

Oh wow, shit, I totally did! I'mma have to get on that, then!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    The TT BattleTech folks seem to have a surprising amount of respect for PGI. They called it out in the update for the Caustic Valley map and Blaine Lee Pardoe mentioned in an interview how MWO has influenced his writing (!)

I’m kinda surprised that there’s been no real communication about canonizing those mechs.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The Corsair in particular is canon-ish. I say "ish" because the Corsair is just a FrankenMech. Which have rules already if memory serves. You could cut pieces off of Mech minis, glue em together, hammer out the details as per the rules and BAM you're good to go.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    The TT BattleTech folks seem to have a surprising amount of respect for PGI. They called it out in the update for the Caustic Valley map and Blaine Lee Pardoe mentioned in an interview how MWO has influenced his writing (!)

I’m kinda surprised that there’s been no real communication about canonizing those mechs.

Calling it now, Wave 2 surprise! Corsair, Roughneck, Sun Spider, and Bullshark. Actually that wouldn't work with the Sun Spider would it? Hmm.... ah heck, who cares they'll make it a special set.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Not to break any hearts, but they've 100% already announced any and all 'mechs that will be available as part of this kickstarter. Any "surprise! Extra mech!" Is money they deliberately left on the table, and after the debacle of canon character refunds, doing the same thing again would ruin them.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Hmm why yes these dice are more rectangular prisms than cubes and at least one facing is not centered at all.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Asher wrote: »
    Hmm why yes these dice are more rectangular prisms than cubes and at least one facing is not centered at all.

:?

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Looking again at the 24 IS starter box mechs, the Jagermech is a pretty big omission from this kickstarter, huh?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Kind of!

I keep having to double/triple check that, no, the JagerMech III is somehow not an OmniMech.

It should have been. Either the Jager or the Catapult should have been an Omni, if only for the arm pods.

Tox on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Battletech thread, please help me decide which Ghost Bear galaxy to paint my new tiny robutts. I can't decide between Beta Galaxy or Theta Galaxy. I am paralyzed with indecision.

• Options
    Axen wrote: »
    The Corsair in particular is canon-ish. I say "ish" because the Corsair is just a FrankenMech. Which have rules already if memory serves. You could cut pieces off of Mech minis, glue em together, hammer out the details as per the rules and BAM you're good to go.

Do we have any further idea which 'Mechs contributed to the Corsair? The Sarna article says Thunderbolt right torso launcher, and legs from the Stalker and King Crab (which is...weird). The right arm looks vaguely Thunderbolt-ish to me, and it has maybe a little Rifleman in the cockpit region, but the rest is kind of...a mess?

Activate, Battletech Brain Trust!

MWO_Corsair.png

• Options
    Battletech thread, please help me decide which Ghost Bear galaxy to paint my new tiny robutts. I can't decide between Beta Galaxy or Theta Galaxy. I am paralyzed with indecision.

I'm seeing conflating examples of each, what source examples are you trying to choose between?

• Options
    Nips wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »

Do we have any further idea which 'Mechs contributed to the Corsair? The Sarna article says Thunderbolt right torso launcher, and legs from the Stalker and King Crab (which is...weird). The right arm looks vaguely Thunderbolt-ish to me, and it has maybe a little Rifleman in the cockpit region, but the rest is kind of...a mess?

Activate, Battletech Brain Trust!

MWO_Corsair.png

The shoulder and arm are definitely Thunderbolt. The other launcher looks a bit like it's from a Bushwhacker (but if not it's definitely from a Catapult/Cicada style "armless chickenwalker" style mech). The legs aren't meaningfully either of those examples given, so I have no idea. The cockpit area and chest piece looks to me like it's from an IndustrialMech.

• Options
    edited November 2020

Assuming you are talking about the CamoSpecs guidelines, and that you are referring to the parade colors and not the camouflage standard?
    Camospecs wrote:
    Clan Ghost Bear's Beta Galaxy usually paints its machines in arctic camouflage. For parade, a dark blue with white and slate gray trim is used. A pattern of white and slate gray resembling cracked ice encircles the waist and arms of 'Mechs, the body of vehicles, and the wings of aerospace fighters.

Canonized by Hauptmann Fanjoy on 7/10/2004.
    Camospecs wrote:
    Clan Ghost Bear's Theta Galaxy uses a white paintscheme darkening to grey on the left arm and right leg . Blue flames shooting up the right arm and left leg symbolize the fiery dedication with which Theta smothers enemy invasions. Bloodnamed warriors may substitute a spattering of blood to the right arm's flames.

Canonized by Foxbat on 11/21/2007.

az19j5vakiho.png

Beta seems more difficult to paint, but definitely looks a lot more cool to me (pun not intended).
    pun was totally intended

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Tox wrote: »
    Not to break any hearts, but they've 100% already announced any and all 'mechs that will be available as part of this kickstarter. Any "surprise! Extra mech!" Is money they deliberately left on the table, and after the debacle of canon character refunds, doing the same thing again would ruin them.

Oh, no, I'm not expecting any extra from this kickstarter. That wishlist I wrote was for future products (be it through another kickstarter or just as a regular release).

Edit: Oh, I see now you were responding to Betsuni's post, nevermind me.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

whynotboth.jpg

Beta was a frontline Galaxy and Theta was (until the Jihad) a secondline Galaxy. You could paint the Omnis in Beta colors and the standard battlemechs in Theta colors.

• Options
    Might wanna also measure the length of your "16mm" dice as well :(

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    yeah mine are totally 16mmx15mmx15.5mm

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    I dunno how to feel overall. On the one hand, custom $5/pair dice with specialty logos feels like a great deal! If I'd bought these in a rando game store I wouldn't even think to check them as closely as I'm checking these. On the other hand, they feel cheap in my hands, and they don't look particularly high quality or fancy/showy, especially compared to dice you can get from Chessex for $10/dozen. So, like, this feels like they got scammed hard.

Did anybody get any of the LosTech metal dice sets from the wave 2.5 stuff? Those were crazy expensive, $50/half dozen, plus a case, sure, but still...

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I guess my view right now is the cheap plastic dice were just a fun Kickstarter throw in anyway. I felt like I got my money's worth off the mechs plus whatever.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I guess my view right now is the cheap plastic dice were just a fun Kickstarter throw in anyway. I felt like I got my money's worth off the mechs plus whatever.

That's fair, and if you only got one or two sets for the novelty then I can understand that position. Otoh, there's folks who dropped $125 on the 30 dice collector's set who absolutely just got their money waated. I'm looking at around half dozen pair myself, and I was hoping they'd be usable quality, so I'm kinda bummed but mostly because they're neither particularly pretty nor particularly usable.

Tox on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular

Assuming you are talking about the CamoSpecs guidelines, and that you are referring to the parade colors and not the camouflage standard?
    Camospecs wrote:
    Clan Ghost Bear's Beta Galaxy usually paints its machines in arctic camouflage. For parade, a dark blue with white and slate gray trim is used. A pattern of white and slate gray resembling cracked ice encircles the waist and arms of 'Mechs, the body of vehicles, and the wings of aerospace fighters.

Canonized by Hauptmann Fanjoy on 7/10/2004.
    Camospecs wrote:
    Clan Ghost Bear's Theta Galaxy uses a white paintscheme darkening to grey on the left arm and right leg . Blue flames shooting up the right arm and left leg symbolize the fiery dedication with which Theta smothers enemy invasions. Bloodnamed warriors may substitute a spattering of blood to the right arm's flames.

Canonized by Foxbat on 11/21/2007.

az19j5vakiho.png

Beta seems more difficult to paint, but definitely looks a lot more cool to me (pun not intended).
    pun was totally intended

Yeah, I was going of CampSpecs guidelines and parade colors (because I want it to be a little more obvious on where they're from), sorry for not being specific on where I was looking. Both of them look like a ballache to paint, but I've been doing nothing but ballache color schemes since I start painting minis, so it's not super far out of my comfort zone.

whynotboth.jpg

Beta was a frontline Galaxy and Theta was (until the Jihad) a secondline Galaxy. You could paint the Omnis in Beta colors and the standard battlemechs in Theta colors.

I really dig Theta's color scheme, but since this is the Clan Invasion and not the Jihad, I wondered if people would give me shit for painting them with Theta colors.

• Options

whynotboth.jpg

I really dig Theta's color scheme, but since this is the Clan Invasion and not the Jihad, I wondered if people would give me shit for painting them with Theta colors.

Theta was guarding facilities in their invasion corridor. The opponent could have been previous defenders who had gone to ground, only to pop up once frontline forces moved on, or were attempting to raid behind the lines.

• Options
    Also, anyone that gives you shit for painting your Stompy Bots should immediately get dick-punched (or equivalent).

• Options
    On the other hand, if someone gives you grief for painting them in Theta colors you know they know their stuff.

Also to avoid them in the future since they obviously are more obsessed over little details than it is worth.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Dick-kicking is my first reaction to people like that with other games, but BT seems so specific on which units fought in specific timelines that I'm not sure what the protocol is with the game.

It's good to know that dick trauma is an acceptable response in this community as well.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Is camospec even truly canon from in universe books, or is it community fanon?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Hmm as far as I’m aware camo patterns do tend to be canon in one book or another.

But realistically if anybody is really concerned over the question of if, say, the 2nd McCarron’s Armored Calvary ever tangled with the Ghost Bear’s Xi Galaxy you can point out that it’s a “what if” scenario being run in a simulator (and that kind of shit is canon)

Nobody on
  • Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Hmm as far as I’m aware camo patterns do tend to be canon in one book or another.

But realistically if anybody is really concerned over the question of if, say, the 2nd McCarron’s Armored Calvary ever tangled with the Ghost Bear’s Xi Galaxy you can point out that it’s a “what if” scenario being run in a simulator (and that kind of shit is canon)

Also table top Battletech is a real thing in the Battletech universe, so you can play Battletech to simulate Battletech while in Battletech.

Also, since Oosik's are canon, how do we get into camospecs?

l7n41RV.png
  • Options

Yeah, insofar as the CamoSpecs Online artists, they hold themselves to a pretty exacting interpretation of canon. E.g. book references, use of images for basis, etc. There's still wiggle room say in color hues ("Which red, again?") or exact details ("How big are these spots, again?") but for the most part there's a commonality within a given described scheme.

The CSO artists exceedingly rarely get to whole-cloth canonize a paint/camo scheme, and in those cases it's usually in support of new paint artwork for a publication. I believe the CSO website (may it live evermore) had a list buried deep in it of units with no yet-defined scheme, that new artists had to, as part of their application package, paint at least one new miniature for. Having looked at it in the past, I was struck by how deep-lore the list was.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Tigliss wrote: »

Also table top Battletech is a real thing in the Battletech universe, so you can play Battletech to simulate Battletech while in Battletech.

I don't know about camospecs, but there is a listing on unitcolorcompendium.

https://unitcolorcompendium.com/2019/04/06/oosik-irregulars-2/

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

Well look at that... @Nips is guilty for standardizing our colors.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Well look at that... @Nips is guilty for standardizing our colors.

Lol, holy shit!

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    BLACK, blue and orange? thats some BS right there

kx3klFE.png