As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Natural Disasters] redux: Fires, Hurricanes, Floods, and everything else

1141516171820»

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Texas Gulf Coast folks: Tropical storm Nicholas is coming your way. Not a lot of wind, but a lot of rain predicted as it's slow-moving, especially between Corpus Christi and the Louisiana coast. Be ready for flash flooding starting tomorrow.

Weather Channel currently has this predicted course and strength as well, linked for size:

https://s.w-x.co/staticmaps/MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL5_storm_info_1280x720.jpg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Bringing this thread up for discussion of the recent tornadoes in several US states so other threads can be on-topic.

https://apnews.com/article/tornadoes-lifestyle-kentucky-illinois-missouri-99e9ada849486d9689ade7ce486841f3

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Another round of tornadoes are happening across the Midwest right now. Stay safe, folks.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    The Mayfield KY tornado may wind up being the longest tracked tornado on record once the damage surveys are complete. Current record holder is the "tri-state tornado" of 1925 that was on the ground for 219 miles. Last I saw surveys currently have the Mayfield tornado on the ground for 168 miles and they aren't done surveying yet.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    640px-Radar_collage_of_a_long-lived_supercell_radar_on_December_10-11%2C_2021.png

It's a collage - if I could find a postable gif it would show the supercell continuously moving from Arkansas to Ohio. Radar had almost continuous signs of a massive tornado too. It's possible that it might be two extremely long track tornadoes instead of just one, but either way - it's basically a nonstop swath of destruction half a mile wide for 250 miles.

• Options

For those who can't see tweets, a satellite image of what's happening right now in the Midwest:
    FGrgVlxVQAEO_sl?format=jpg&name=small

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    And people say the midwest is dull

Also, holy hell that dust storm. Is this part of Dust Bowl 2: The Revengening or did some other phenomena cause it?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

Also, holy hell that dust storm. Is this part of Dust Bowl 2: The Revengening or did some other phenomena cause it?

My guess would be wildfire remnants from over the summer combined with a massive cold front colliding with a massive warm front but it's pretty hard to say from just a single (albeit awesome) satellite photo.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

For those who can't see tweets, a satellite image of what's happening right now in the Midwest:

This is chart which would seem like a bit much if you put it in a movie as "what's happening now".

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited December 2021

This storm brought severe winds though Colorado. They were advising motorists to stay off the road due to the potential for dust getting kicked up. I'm guessing all that dust is from Colorado and the foothills of the Rockies.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

This is chart which would seem like a bit much if you put it in a movie as "what's happening now".

Just needs the "hot hail" really

https://youtu.be/_QC7uMo1uPQ

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Dark_Side wrote: »

This storm brought severe winds though Colorado. They were advising motorists to stay off the road due to the potential for dust getting kicked up. I'm guessing all that dust is from Colorado and the foothills of the Rockies.

Also, don't the storms from the Pacific Northwest and Rockies, since eastward after Colorado, there are no large mountainus terrain to keep the storm system's potential velocity at bay, pick up strength in the plains? Nothing but flat plains until the Appalachian Mountains?

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Also, don't the storms from the Pacific Northwest and Rockies, since eastward after Colorado, there are no large mountainus terrain to keep the storm system's potential velocity at bay, pick up strength in the plains? Nothing but flat plains until the Appalachian Mountains?

As a Nebraskan, and from what I recall from my school-learnin':

Yes and no. It's not so much that the mountains sap their energy and they get it back, so much as the mountains push the air up and over them. Because you get orographic precipitation (air gets colder as it gains altitude, then it pees all over the mountain), the air loses saturation, and when it gets over the mountains, it sinks to the plains. So we end up recording much higher velocities and seeing it affect us on the ground a lot more because there's nothing to push it over us.

Air coming from the West Coast also often gets an infusion of saturated air from the Gulf of Mexico here in the Midwest, but not always.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Also, boy oh boy was it fun yesterday as an IT manager to see all of our branches and towers go down one by one as I looked outside and it looked like Zeus was staring down at us.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Also, boy oh boy was it fun yesterday as an IT manager to see all of our branches and towers go down one by one as I looked outside and it looked like Zeus was staring down at us.

It's days like yesterday where I wish all our various monitoring systems were tied to a single "it's a goddamn disaster" button to silence them all temporarily.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Yeah, the wind in the midwest was pretty wild yesterday. My girlfriend's mother lives in western Kansas, and she had a doctor's appointment yesterday. With the high winds, the staff had to help her to her car (she's pretty frail and not too steady on her feet), and the drive home that usually takes 45 minutes took two and a half hours because of road closures and unsafe driving conditions. Allegedly gusts up to 80 mph!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

It's days like yesterday where I wish all our various monitoring systems were tied to a single "it's a goddamn disaster" button to silence them all temporarily.

Ah yes the “cats and dogs sleeping together” protocol

• Options
    jimb213 wrote: »
    Yeah, the wind in the midwest was pretty wild yesterday. My girlfriend's mother lives in western Kansas, and she had a doctor's appointment yesterday. With the high winds, the staff had to help her to her car (she's pretty frail and not too steady on her feet), and the drive home that usually takes 45 minutes took two and a half hours because of road closures and unsafe driving conditions. Allegedly gusts up to 80 mph!

My co-worker's family lives in Western Kansas and they sent him photos of a veritable Dust Bowl. Couldn't see the buildings across the street.

• Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I didn't get hit too bad by the wind, but lightning did strike a tree next my house and it no longer has any bark. It then killed my alarm clock and an ethernet switch.

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    There was a huge volcanic eruption near Tonga last night. The satellite footage is pretty breathtaking:

(twitter is an account I'm not familiar with called US_Stormwatch, but it contains a good example of the satellite footage in gif form)

There's a tsunami warning all the way up and down the North American West Coast, there's footage of incoming tsunamis from around the South Pacific, and the boom of the eruption was allegedly heard as far away as New Zealand and Australia, over 1000 miles away.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    This volcano has been slowly erupting since about mid December last year, in its current bit of activity.

This is an underwater volcano.

But the devastation is going to be insane.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    The footage shown above is terrifying, but it's hard to tell from the image, how big it was in scale.

Here's a different angle, that shows the curvature of the earth, for scale.

- Tweeter is an uncheckmarked, but the video is....

I think the sixth seal just broke. I'm gonna go hide under my bed now.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Huh, I live out on the West Coast and I was wondering what was the cause of the tsunami warnings I got this morning.

Just fuckoff-huge volcano blast, no big deal.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    https://i.imgur.com/k8egqrQ.mp4

One more which has both of those two and one more zoomed out where you can see the whole planet.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The even more amazing thing is that the rough estimates have this ~10 times less powerful than Pinatubo 30 years ago.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I do wonder if that's because it's still underwater?

I'm almost afraid of what it would have been like if Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai had been above ground. likely less tsunami threat, but still likely devastating.

Lemme tell you, after Whakaari a few years ago, now Hunga Tonga-Huna Ha'apai, and that Ruapehu has been making grumbly noises lately.... I'm a bit more anxious.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

I'm almost afraid of what it would have been like if Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai had been above ground. likely less tsunami threat, but still likely devastating.

Lemme tell you, after Whakaari a few years ago, now Hunga Tonga-Huna Ha'apai, and that Ruapehu has been making grumbly noises lately.... I'm a bit more anxious.

It's partially above water.
    https://matangitonga.to/2022/01/15/tongan-geologists-stunning-Jan14eruptions

has some ground level pics. That's a big cloud and I think those are shock cones from the cloud going supersonic..

also rando with an interesting observation- the shockwave of the eruption is visible in the clouds from geosynchronous orbit. Thread also has some good stuff from Scott Manly.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Waiting for Rainer to just wipe the PNW out.

• Options
    oh for fucks sake

UPDATE: KELLY'S COVE - OCEAN BEACH - SURF RESCUE IN PROGRESS - CREWS HAVE EYES ON SURFER 300 FT OUT - SURGE WAVES SO POWERFUL THAT BOARD BROKE - @USCG
    ENROUTE WITH SUPPORT BOAT AND HELICOPTER 14:38

Stay away from tsunamis, geniuses. >.<

UPDATE: Surfer rescued by our rescue swimmers and Rescue Boat 1 #SFFDRB1-- Victim being taken from Ocean Beach to China Beach for safe offload and will be okay per our Paramedics on #SFFDRB1 -- Rescue closed @GGNRANPSAlerts
    @NWSBayArea

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    The Prime Minister will be addressing NZ this afternoon on what relief efforts will be needed for Tonga, but communication is still limited. However, some pretty significant tsunamis have been recorded along the coast, with some damage to marinas, etc.

Edit: However, the twitter account for the Consulate has linked some images of the aftermath in Tonga itself, and it looks pretty significant.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ConsulateKoT/status/1482442525281554434?cxt=HHwWhMC49ern2JIpAAAA

Here's hoping loss of life is minimal.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Man I hope that Tonga is relatively alright, but I'm not expecting them to be. That eruption seems way too likely to overwhelm the island.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022

Some Twitter person that I don't know their bona fides but the associated pictures speak for themselves:
    Dramatic changes in Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai captured by @ planet
    from mid-Nov until this morning—only a couple of hours before the most recent eruption.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    As a follow up from a vulcanologist from New Zealand

Initial radar images show the island is basically gone, as sometimes happen with catastrophic volcanic eruptions.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Is there anything that shows that to scale? I'm having trouble parsing what portion of Tonga is impacted there.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Is there anything that shows that to scale? I'm having trouble parsing what portion of Tonga is impacted there.

This is not Tonga itself, this is a new (2015ish) volcanic island ~50 miles north of the main island.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Shadowfire wrote: »

This is not Tonga itself, this is a new (2015ish) volcanic island ~50 miles north of the main island.

The islands to each side are apparently around 2km long
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunga_Tonga

(Before they got blasted)

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

It's partially above water.
    https://matangitonga.to/2022/01/15/tongan-geologists-stunning-Jan14eruptions

has some ground level pics. That's a big cloud and I think those are shock cones from the cloud going supersonic..

also rando with an interesting observation- the shockwave of the eruption is visible in the clouds from geosynchronous orbit. Thread also has some good stuff from Scott Manly.

So correction: the ground level pics are from an earlier eruption the same day which was much smaller.

• Options
    Tsunami warning has been lifted for NZ this evening. Almost a full 24 hours since the eruption.

Some contact has happened, so far very very little is known about the situation in the Kingdom of Tonga. As of right now, last I checked, no official death or injury reports have been made.

NZDF is fueling up a P3 Orion to send help over, once it's known what help is most urgently needed. Biggest issue, that i can think of or find info on, is going to be clean water. there was acid rain yesterday from the cloud, so there's some concern that most water reservoirs are going to be contaminated.

• Options
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/459784/tongan-government-confirms-all-homes-on-mango-destroyed-fears-death-toll-to-rise

So far only 3 confirmed dead, but that's almost certainly not going to be it.

Entire islands are set to be evacuated, add there's no water or even shelter left.