As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Valorant & Reky out today!

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    also, been playing ESO lately

levels not really mattering and having narrative driven quests is a very nice change, and actually makes leveling feel meaningful instead of "the thing you do so you can eventually play the game"

I’ve been playing it again. I had a max level dude on console for the base game but haven’t played in years. It was cheap on steam so I picked it up.

It’s pretty good. The combat feels pretty rubbish, the inventory is a nightmare and you need a bunch of mods for quality of life stuff. So it really nails that Elder Scrolls feeling.

Jokes aside it’s a really deep dive into Elder Scrolls lore. It’s got good narrative driven quests (though the FFXIV main quest wins out) but there’s something about it that’s just compelling. It really does capture the “but what’s in that cave?” feeling that makes Elder Scrolls a game that suddenly makes it 2am.

Also, playing a warden, the main nuke spell literally slamming a cliffracer into someone’s head is never not funny in a PvP fight. People running away being attacked by birds like they’re Tippi Hendren.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Iolo wrote: »
    What is Viveport Infinity?

It's an Xbox gamepass-like system for VR games, through HTC's Vive storefront.

Honestly the quality of most of the titles isn't great and the selection misses some bigger titles, but at ~30 dollars it's a good way to try a bunch of niche titles.

Brolo on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Combat is very floaty, but I don’t think it’s awful

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Viveport appears to be Game Pass for VR stuff

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Combat is very floaty, but I don’t think it’s awful

I was mainly being hyperbolic for the joke. It’s servicable.There are some weird design choices in the combat though.

The heavy/light attacks basically doesn’t come up at all. Your spamming abilities unless you run out of resources, in which case you heavy attack.

The double hot bars feels unresponsive somtimes. I get the idea is to have two “load outs” but it basically becomes one combat bar and one buff bar.

Picking stats is basically just dumping all your stats into just the one.

There is no kind of timers for abilities in the default UI. This is particularly annoying as a build where I can often have six timed effects going at once.

Oddly this all feels a lot better in PvP. Not sure why.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I alllllllllllllllmost bought a 2070 Super

but I really should hold off and wait till the next gen of cards comes, especially as my current card is still keeping up okay - then I can either get one of the new model, or I can get a 2080 or 2070 or something for cheaper.

That's assuming the coronavirus bullshit doesn't make things delayed any more.

Edit: Oh and I'll also need a new power supply anyway, since most modern cards require 650+ and this PC only has 500 watts

Moriveth on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Finally got around to playing through Hellblade.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the story resolution. It's a pretty well made game though. If it were longer the mechanics might have started to wear on me a bit, but as it was I always enjoyed the combat. Hunting for the perspective puzzles was less fun, but it was always set in an interesting location and never really got too difficult.

I'm glad I finally played it, but... i'm not sure. It got pretty weird at the end. High point was absolutely the Sea of Corpses. Just, holy shit that whole area.

E: Watched the Hellblade 2 trailer and now i'm even more confused. But if it is doing what I think it's doing then i'm all on board.

Endgame info + trailer:
    If the game is about her leading an army to kill the vikings that destroyed her village i'm all for that. Especially if it also includes hunting down her piece of shit father, since he escaped after telling the vikings where to attack.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Gods how is Steam so shit.
    nwq0y6t1l945.jpg

Clicking this and nothing is happening. I'm viewing this content through Steam you stupid piece of shit program.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    well, no, you're viewing the site in the steam overlay, which is to say, through a web browser

when you access steampowered.com via firefox or whatever, the browser can send a message to the OS and open steam

the web browser is trying to send this message and windows is complying by launching steam, which is already open, and so nothing apparently happens

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Iratus will come out of an early Access next week - did someone here play it? How good it is?

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Iratus will come out of an early Access next week - did someone here play it? How good it is?

It seemed pretty solid!

I know it was rough when starting but when I played it, I didn't seem to have the flaws I saw from earlier.

I didn't play it too much and haven't figured out all the system but if you want a darkest dungeon where you play as a motley (and moldy) horde of undead purging the grave robbers then check it out.

On the more casual front there is Undead Horde

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Out today!

2020416 The Under Presents (VR, narrative, theatre)

20200416 Minecraft RTX (building, sandbox, adventure)

20200416 Sentienls of Freedom (Strategy, RPG, Super Hero, Tactics, Freedom Force)

20200416 Later Daters (Visual Novel, Romance, Humour)

20200416 Artificer: Science of Magic (Survival, RPG, Fantasy)

2020416 Spirit Island EA (board-game, strategy, co-op, destroy the colonists)

Brolo on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    omg sentinels of freedom i had no idea, is it the same team??????????? after all these years?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    cursedking wrote: »
    omg sentinels of freedom i had no idea, is it the same team??????????? after all these years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1FGhlDYb-c

nope, sorry

definitely some indie devs inspired by freedom force, but the game looks like it's lacking the strong character design

it's also fully turn based, which may or may not excite you more than FF's real-time-with-slowdown system

Brolo on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    well, no, you're viewing the site in the steam overlay, which is to say, through a web browser

when you access steampowered.com via firefox or whatever, the browser can send a message to the OS and open steam

the web browser is trying to send this message and windows is complying by launching steam, which is already open, and so nothing apparently happens

So why can't the steam website detect it's using the steam browser?? Another failure of UX

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

nope, sorry

definitely some indie devs inspired by freedom force, but the game looks like it's lacking the strong character design

it's also fully turn based, which may or may not excite you more than FF's real-time-with-slowdown system

yeah this looks........bad and is tied to some shitty comic book world/universe. that is disappointing

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Spirit Island is currently one of my favorite board games and I'll recommend the digital adaptation based on that alone.

• Options
    Tamin wrote: »

So why can't the steam website detect it's using the steam browser?? Another failure of UX

yeah for the steam browser they just wrap a chromium instance and don't really do much of anything to customize it

so the steam browser is just as dumb as a normal chrome browser, like even a basic user agent string should tip it off, but that functionality has never really worked properly

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Just Cause 4 free on Epic? Don't mind if I do!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Sentinels of Freedom?

But Sentinels are a big genocide robots that are easily blasted or clawed apart!

• Options
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The Switch apparently can!

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Sentinels of Freedom?

But Sentinels are a big genocide robots that are easily blasted or clawed apart!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WSJrD9VWPII

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Jason Schreier out at Kotaku. He's the last one I can think of that I associate with Kotaku that was still there.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

I wonder how far they'll push the tech. Having played Crysis the first time last year, that really is all it's got

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    honestly don't know where he would go to report on video games at this point. polygon and vice seem like they're not in a position to add staff?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That group has been shedding staff like mad lately. Four folks have left Jalopnik since the start of the year, and the site is becoming a ghost town. Ever since the dead spin debacle people have been leaving that sinking ship.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    everyone at the Gawker family of websites hates the current owners

Jim Spanfeller essentially bought the network from Univision after Gawker got sued into Oblivion, and then turned it into a pump and dump for his private equity funtimes.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/08/great-hill-partners-acquires-gizmodo/

Brolo on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Fort Triumph, which bills itself as fantasy XCOM with HOMM style exploration/town building, is out of early access today.

ss_a0daf30d8e0c8fa38d96ca49b8d1f93278086472.600x338.jpg?t=1587045553
    ss_e142275dd552cdde0bd9db8f2a0dcd853145fb57.600x338.jpg?t=1587045553

@Brolo you appear to already own it? If you manage to play it in this flurry of exciting releases, please let us know what you think of it. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

nope, sorry

Its based in the Sentinels of the Multiverse universe. Not Freedom Force.

Its also from the devs that did the Super Dungeon Tactics game a few years back.

I thought it looked cool, but with Chimera Squad right around the corner it probably isnt going to make much of a splash.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

In case any of you PC gamers have a playstation

Psykoma on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    chvrches is very good

Hideo Kojima agrees!

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    everyone at the Gawker family of websites hates the current owners

Jim Spanfeller essentially bought the network from Univision after Gawker got sued into Oblivion, and then turned it into a pump and dump for his private equity funtimes.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/08/great-hill-partners-acquires-gizmodo/

The longtime/good writers at all Gawker media sites have been slipping out the door in a pretty steady stream ever since. Deadspin all left, Kotaku has lost several, AV Club too. Wouldn't be surprised to see it over at the other ones I don't follow as much like Jezebel, etc.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Jason leaving Kotaku isn't really surprising; his deep dive articles were among the best stuff on the site, but things have been on the decline ever since the company got turned into an herb garden. The whole collection of websites is likely doomed thanks to the new owner's meddling. It's a true shame. Gawker had its faults, but it was never afraid to speak truth to power or go after those richest and most powerful individuals who might otherwise move unseen through the shadows with their outsized sums of money or influence. They didn't deserve to die like this.

On a personal note: I own a copy of Blood, Sweat, and Pixels, and I love it to death. The book is a fascinating deep dive into the process behind building videogames. As someone who does analogous work in a different field of entertainment, I respect the heck out of it. If you can get ahold of a copy and find some time to read it (which many of you no doubt have lots of, right now), do so. I promise you won't regret it.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    You either die a hero or live long enough to get bought out by an equity firm looking to make a quick buck and blowing everything up in the process.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Kind of fucked up that all of this is happening to the Gawker media sites because they couldn't help themselves from publishing a stupid sex tape.

One dumb decision for a giggle, and...all this. Damn.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    3clipse wrote: »
    Kind of fucked up that all of this is happening to the Gawker media sites because they couldn't help themselves from publishing a stupid sex tape.

It wasn't the sex tape that killed them: it was making an enemy of Peter Thiel. The sex tape fiasco was just a pretext for a crooked judge to fuck them into an early grave, courtesy of Thiel's shadow funding.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

It wasn't the sex tape that killed them: it was making an enemy of Peter Thiel. The sex tape fiasco was just a pretext for a crooked judge to fuck them into an early grave.

That's true, the sex tape thing was just such an easy target to present for being sued, even at the time I was like "how the hell did they picture this going other than lawsuit."

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »

It wasn't the sex tape that killed them: it was making an enemy of Peter Thiel. The sex tape fiasco was just a pretext for a crooked judge to fuck them into an early grave.

That's true, the sex tape thing was just such an easy target to present for being sued, even at the time I was like "how the hell did they picture this going other than lawsuit."

In a reasonable world, they would have gotten sued and walked away with a black eye, or at least been able to settle out of court to avoid the death knell. Thiel likely instructed his cat's paw lawyer to rebuff any offer of settlement, thus allowing him to press for a potential lethal strike in legal form.

• Options
    Anyway, here's a new Digital Foundry video going with a deep dive into the beta of PC gaming's most graphically impressive title of 2020 releasing today, the technical tour-de-force called Minecraft:

https://youtu.be/s_eeWr622Ss

My brother is at work ATM, I could probably steal his RTX 2080 for a little bit...

This discussion has been closed.