Alright, it's time to add biking to my exercise. I have a few wants/requirements here. Suggest some likely decent bikes and a size for me.
* Most riding will be done in the city for exercise to augment running
* Want to be able to go offroad, fairly rough, when life allows
* Want to be able to do dumb stuff - jumping things, etc. I'm old, nothing crazy, but I also never really grew up
* Trying to keep it under $1000 new, ideally WAY under. But, I don't want to spend $500 and not have something that makes me happy. 100% open to buying used as well once I know what I am looking for.
* I'm 6'2" or just under, 32-34" inseam (seems to vary) - I've read everything from needing a 19" to 22" frame
It seems bike terms have changed some since I last purchased a bike a million years ago. It looks like I am looking at something in the realm of Trail Bike, Hybrid Bike, possibly Cyclocross (but those seem to get expensive quick and may be a bit too road oriented). Last time I bought a bike the term Trail Bike meant one of those things that mostly looked like a mountain bike, but wasn't intended to ever jump or otherwise leave the ground or ride anything much rougher than a well groomed, family day out oriented bike trail.
Some recent light research on random blogs and looking at local bike shops and rei online suggest that something along the lines of the Canondale Quick or Canondale Trail series bikes may be a good fit.