Options

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    speaking of macross, are there any good vf or sdf model kits out there, do they even make non-gundam giant robot toys

hasegawa makes/made a bunch of nice non-transforming macross stuff, bandai has models but I don't know if they transform, and there are actual diecast valkyrie transformer toys at least but they're $$$

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    speaking of macross, are there any good vf or sdf model kits out there, do they even make non-gundam giant robot toys

Oh there are a lot of non-Gundam giant robot toys. What are you looking for and how deep do you want to go down this rabbit hole? I just started down the hole again...

I second @Naphtali in the Hasegawa kits. Bandai makes a bunch of kits that intrigue me as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    The Bandai kits can transform.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    turtleant wrote: »
    Flight modes that are just the suit laying down with the shield over the head pretty much always look like butt.

The Wing/Wing 0 are one of very few exceptions.

ehhhhh the wing/wing zero are pretty bad too imo

also Kotobukiya seems like the main other plastic model anime robot kit maker from Bandai

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    ... Not Gunpla related, and I'm not asking for questions on the economic side...

My dealer just pointed out that he could get me the Soul of Chogokin Dragonzord and Titanus (US names) for what I would consider a reasonable amount for each. At least, they are comparable to what I paid for my current Bandai Classics versions.

I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger.

Considerations (beyond cost):

-- I already have the Classics version of the entire Ultrazord. It's in Black/gold.
    -- The ones offered are the base versions, not the kickass black/blue-green that really caught my eye.
    -- This doesn't include the Megazord, at least from what I can tell.
    -- This would allow me to display the models in other configurations than the Ultrazord brick I have right now.
    -- I believe the Chogokin versions are WAY more articulated and screen accurate than the US Legacy toys.

Edit: Oh huh, the SOC Titanus -is- the legacy titanus, with some minor (major?) improvements -- a die-cast bottom to help with stability, screw hole covers, removing some of the child safety plastic, and brighter gold paint apps. Also the parts are slightly modified for SOC.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Soul of Chogokin are like the Rolls-Royce of big robot toys, aren't they? I feel like if you have the space to display them, the disposable income to buy them, you are attached to the bots in question, and the price is good, then you should probably get them? I mean, depending on how much you like the Dragonzord and Titanus.

For me personally, the Megazord is probably the single most influential and nostalgic big robot, but I wouldn't be interested in Dragonzord and Titanus without the Megazord - they're too peripheral for my personal feelings about the show. It would be like getting a hot dog bun with ketchup, mustard, sauerkraut, beans, relish, AND a giant turtle to carry it all, but without the hot dog.

Did you know that a 9-year-old can be a shitty "pffff not my Power Ranger", "this is jumping the shark", "all downhill from here" snob? I do, because I was just that when they introduced the Green Ranger to the original show.

• Options
    For reference: BBTS has the SoC TItanus for $224, and a pre-order for SoC Dragonzord for $175.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah. I suspect those two just hit Bluefin.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    “My dealer”

Again...what have I got myself into?

:P

• Options
    psst, hey yous, you wanna buy a genuine gundam? eh? *throws open trenchcoat, rows plastic robots dangling from the inner lining*

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    “My dealer”

Again...what have I got myself into?

:P

It's a joking/loving term. I'm a huge supporter of my local game store, buying thousands of dollars of stuff from them across board games, card games, and gunpla.

It helps that I am in their loyalty program.

• Options
    You are their loyalty program.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    You are their loyalty program.

Believe it or not I'm not. I am in the top 10, but I think there are some Warhammer folks who buy far more than me.

• Options
    Yes, of course, I absolutely believe that they are separate and distinct people. People like Bthenor, who wears a ten-gallon hat and has a large, face-obscuring mustache, and Cthenor, who has an eye patch and a full beard, and wears a propeller beanie.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Oh I believe it. Warhammer gets very expensive, very fast.

'Bout the only thing that can beat it is like, people that play Vintage/Legacy Magic:The Gathering.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I still dream of getting one of those super expensive yamato 1/60 toys of one of the Macross Plus designs.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Oh I believe it. Warhammer gets very expensive, very fast.

'Bout the only thing that can beat it is like, people that play Vintage/Legacy Magic:The Gathering.

Wargamming is a time and money sink. But it's a joke about the sea of grey plastic you see people playing with and the quiet nudging to at least paint them 3 colors standard rant
    But it's no where in the range of restoration of classic cars, Or the insane level of plane restoration
    I know I will show of the models I got long ago and have not put together {Really I just need that kick in the ass to do it only one model does have a real reason why I don't put it together}

• Options
    Got an email from Bandai that the replacement POM runners I ordered were shipped to package forwarding service I signed up so that can resume soon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I just stumbled upon this video and it is insane!
    https://youtu.be/WbJRtnQvsOM
    I think I’ll stay at the no paint, no glue, panel line with a line marker, and maybe little touch-ups with markers level :wink:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Plasmo is a great channel. He almost exclusively makes military vehicles and does tons of customization.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Whoops, just pulled the trigger on some more 30MM kits.

...And forgot to add one more thing...

...And I'm a day late for my last USAGundamStore coupon code...

...Meh.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Whoops, just pulled the trigger on some more 30MM kits.

...And forgot to add one more thing...

...And I'm a day late for my last USAGundamStore coupon code...

...Meh.

Email em and they will probably honor it.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    That is AMAZING! I know the feet are from the Build Fighters/Divers penguin suit; are the thrusters part of the regular Tallgeese?
    And what is the neck made of?

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    everything else is 100% goose, those are the backpack/skirt thrusters and the neck is one of its legs

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The thrusters are the regular Tallgeese ones and the neck is one of TG's legs

edit: damn misc you got big thrusters to beat me to the post like that

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    So uh
    I also picked up the new 1/100 Ex-S from last year that can be built either as the Ex or the regular S Gundam

Has anyone built this and can confirm - can I build one form and easily swap the parts for the upgrade? Or am I locked in once it's built?

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    @turtleant would know

i don't think it's designed to like, easily switch between forms, but you can always break it down and build it as the other if you want to

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Yeah easily is probably asking too much

• Options
    Looking at the manual online and you would have to disassemble quite a bit. I am also seeing a bunch of screws so I would recommend getting a JIS screwdriver.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    NO it is definitely not an easy swap. You'd have to undo screws and shit.

The torso is even built around a separate core fighter, depending on the version of the suit you choose.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Alright, good to know
    Probably wouldn't have wanted to mess with it again once it was done anyway....

Thanks for the tip on the JIS driver set, I'll pick one up!

turtle, which one did you build?

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Alright, good to know
    Probably wouldn't have wanted to mess with it again once it was done anyway....

Thanks for the tip on the JIS driver set, I'll pick one up!

turtle, which one did you build?

I built Ex-S cause well,

i like chonky

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    gkosvc7d19h1.jpg

Done with Fin Funnels for now since I preordered a third party backpack and that comes with some new parts to connect them to it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Those F90 option packs are getting real dumb real fast and I am here for it

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    now we're talking!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Got an email from Bandai that the replacement POM runners I ordered were shipped to package forwarding service I signed up so that can resume soon.

And I got them, FedEx delivers. I can now attach the legs.

Edit: Well leg still got to finish that left one.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    now we're walking!

• Options
    oh neat they're also releasing a pbandai set of option parts of all the various non-lupus barbatos forms for the master grade

link for long pic

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    And there's the decals. =P

Tonight would've been gunpla build night. In recognition of that, and because I owed my friend/store manager, I bought Turn A Gundam MG.

I now have a plastic cow in 1/100 scale.

This discussion has been closed.