As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Voters Rights and the Suppression Thereof

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh I wasn't expecting that to show up here in this thread too. Uh. Well anyway.

The 14th Amendment is pretty explicit about counting all persons, not just citizens.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    They are mussing up the Census so badly and there's no way to redo it. Going to mess up districts for another 10 years.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    They are mussing up the Census so badly and there's no way to redo it. Going to mess up districts for another 10 years.

I think it could be re-done, the constitution just says it must be done at least every ten years, right? It's very expensive though, so...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Kemp already at work.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/mailing-addresses-missing-on-some-fulton-absentee-envelopes/WCY4GYRUHZCOTCDZBCQRDBGVCY/
    Some voters in Fulton County are receiving absentee ballots with envelopes that lack a mailing address for them to be returned.

The space for the address of the county elections office is blank. Voters would have to fill in the address of the Fulton elections office themselves. Otherwise, the U.S. Postal Service wouldn’t be able to deliver their ballots.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Kemp already at work.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/mailing-addresses-missing-on-some-fulton-absentee-envelopes/WCY4GYRUHZCOTCDZBCQRDBGVCY/
    Some voters in Fulton County are receiving absentee ballots with envelopes that lack a mailing address for them to be returned.

The space for the address of the county elections office is blank. Voters would have to fill in the address of the Fulton elections office themselves. Otherwise, the U.S. Postal Service wouldn’t be able to deliver their ballots.

Is the envelope otherwise marked as being a ballot? I'm thinking post offices in Fulton County could literally rubber stamp them if so.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    If they are then the USPS will deliver to them. They’re notorious for tracking down the locations for obscurely labeled letters.

On its own it won’t achieve much, just another death by a thousand cuts.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    If they are then the USPS will deliver to them. They’re notorious for tracking down the locations for obscurely labeled letters.

USPS is currently being sabataged from within by the Trump appointed postmaster general, so don't assume it'll function as it has.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Look at the picture of the envelope. There is no address to work with. There's no way to know what office its supposed to be delivered to.

Have you ever read the legalese on the back of mail-in ballot envelopes? They clearly state that the ballots have to be received by the office by the due date in order to be counted. Having a post-mark by the deadline is not sufficient.

This is deliberate voter suppression.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    So disregarding the constitutionality/legality of what Trump wants to do (and it is definitely unconstitutional), how would he even implement it? The census very specifically does not ask about citizenship or legal resident status. The answers are also completely confidential and as far as I know the people behind the census take that very seriously indeed.

I mean his goal is pretty clearly to increase the power of the white vote, so I'm sure he'd be fine with just cutting some arbitrary percentage from the total in highly minority areas, but quite honestly that is even more legally dubious than even counting only citizens in the first place.

The scary part is that he really doesn't even need to succeed with the scheme to have a serious impact. If he does try and implement something like that, it will be challenged in court (and is probably already being challenged in court) but that takes time. Then it gets to SCOTUS, and while the entire history of the USA and all SCOTUS precedent comes down on the side of counting everybody regardless of citizenship status, I have no confidence that the Roberts court will care when given a chance to do so much damage to the voting power of minorities.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Also have to wonder how easily a Biden administration can nuke Trump's play here. I'm pretty sure the census stuff is still being counted. Hell, if Trump pisses democrats off enough, they could easily just send out a new round of census stuff next year without all the bullshit and probably use the amendment that gives them the legal authority to pass laws covering elections, to force anyone that has completed redistricting to redo it. Hell, probably could go after the bullshit that is partisan gerrymandering.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I am still far more curious if Biden will purge the government of the various appointments and such the troll's administration did of the courts and other government offices
    As I know sadly the clean up will take a lot longer than 4 years

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

USPS is currently being sabataged from within by the Trump appointed postmaster general, so don't assume it'll function as it has.

I thought the immediate problem was that the USPS was running out of money and might end up bankrupt before November.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

I thought the immediate problem was that the USPS was running out of money and might end up bankrupt before November.

That's another immediate problem, but one with a known solution: repeal the bad legislation that created the problem.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Not super meaningful, but every Democrat and Murkowski introduced the John Lewis Voting Rights Act bill in the Senate today. Mitch will surely ignore it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AnsagoAnsago Formerly QuarterMaster Registered User regular
    Not super meaningful, but every Democrat and Murkowski introduced the John Lewis Voting Rights Act bill in the Senate today. Mitch will surely ignore it.

Ah yes, the token R so that they can say they are independent of Trump/McConnell

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    so brave.
    and concerned.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »

That's another immediate problem, but one with a known solution: repeal the bad legislation that created the problem.

Indeed, unfortunately we're talking about this November, so that's a problem. And of course the House and Senate are behaving according to the interests of their majority parties, which per normal means the House put out a bill covering this and Mitch is studiously ignoring it.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, 1 million Florida residents were disenfranchised because two judges didn't believe in judicial ethics. Short version: two judges ruling on the recent case over the constitutionality of the requirement to pay fees were on the Florida Supreme Court when an earlier case in the matter was heard, obliging them to recuse themselves. Had they done so, the en banc ruling would most likely have been 4-4,upholding the injunction.

We need to make failure to properly recuse punishable by removal from the court - it's clear that judges cannot be trusted to do so of their own accord.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So, 1 million Florida residents were disenfranchised because two judges didn't believe in judicial ethics. Short version: two judges ruling on the recent case over the constitutionality of the requirement to pay fees were on the Florida Supreme Court when an earlier case in the matter was heard, obliging them to recuse themselves. Had they done so, the en banc ruling would most likely have been 4-4,upholding the injunction.

We need to make failure to properly recuse punishable by removal from the court - it's clear that judges cannot be trusted to do so of their own accord.

In theory, the failure to recuse could be challenged at... SCOTUS I think? in this case. Hahaha.... we know how that ends.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    SCOTUS defers until after the election and then upholds the injunction on procedural grounds.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Wouldn't that be cause for an ethics complaint which could then be grounds for removal?

Or would you have to prove their involvement in the previous case affected their judgement to win on the former?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Sorry for bringing this over to this thread, but it feels like it's incredibly on topic, and I don't want to crap up the election thread:

US President Donald Trump calls to delay 2020 election, citing possible mail-in voting fraud despite little evidence

The BBC is a major news outlet.

Part of me wants to ask "What mechanism does the President have to delay the election?" But another very grim part of me knows that our mechanisms for protecting the election are based on good faith, and worthless.

I fear that, just because he tweeted it, it's now reality because the GOP will tirelessly and endlessly defend it, even without any evidence.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Sorry for bringing this over to this thread, but it feels like it's incredibly on topic, and I don't want to crap up the election thread:

US President Donald Trump calls to delay 2020 election, citing possible mail-in voting fraud despite little evidence

Part of me wants to ask "What mechanism does the President have to delay the election?" But another very grim part of me knows that our mechanisms for protecting the election are based on good faith, and worthless.

I fear that, just because he tweeted it, it's now reality because the GOP will tirelessly and endlessly defend it, even without any evidence.

None. Congress sets the date. Trump literally cannot delay the election just because he wants to. It would require the entire political world, including all states, the entirety of Congress and the courts to look the other way and not hold their elections.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Nope! Sorry, thanks for playing.

Election date is set by Constitution, and there is no included method for delaying it.
    We're boned. He can just postpone it indefinitely.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

None. Congress sets the date. Trump literally cannot delay the election just because he wants to. It would require the entire political world, including all states, the entirety of Congress and the courts to look the other way and not hold their elections.

I mean, he also didn't have the authority to send federal troops to suppress protesters, and the SCOTUS told him to get fucked on DACA, but that shit still happened. We've seen that the GOP consider his tweets law, so I'm wondering what this is going to trigger.

We've crossed the "That's never going to happen" bridge so many times in the last three years, I really don't think it's unreasonable to consider we'll cross it again.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Nope! Sorry, thanks for playing.

Election date is set by Constitution, and there is no included method for delaying it.
    We're boned. He can just postpone it indefinitely.

The exact election date is set by statute. The inauguration date is set by the Consitution.
    By 1792, federal law permitted each state to choose Presidential electors any time within a 34-day period[2] before the first Wednesday in December.[3] A November election was convenient because the harvest would have been completed but the most severe winter weather, impeding transportation, would not yet have arrived, while the new election results also would roughly conform to a new year. Originally, states varied considerably in the method of choosing electors. Gradually, states converged on selection by some form of popular vote.

Development of the Morse electric telegraph, funded by Congress in 1843 and successfully tested in 1844, was a technological change that clearly augured an imminent future of instant communication nationwide.[4] To prevent information from one state from influencing Presidential electoral outcomes in another, Congress responded in 1845 by mandating a uniform national date for choosing Presidential electors.[1] Congress chose the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November to harmonize current electoral practice with the existing 34-day window in federal law, as the span between Election Day and the first Wednesday in December is always 29 days.[5] The effect is to constrain Election Day to the week between November 2 and November 8 inclusive. Beginning with Presidential elections, gradually all states brought nearly all elections into conformity with this date.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I mean, he also didn't have the authority to send federal troops to suppress protesters, and the SCOTUS told him to get fucked on DACA, but that shit still happened. We've seen that the GOP consider his tweets law, so I'm wondering what this is going to trigger.

We've crossed the "That's never going to happen" bridge so many times in the last three years, I really don't think it's unreasonable to consider we'll cross it again.

Okay but he literally can't do anything here

We have a decentralized election apparatus in this country. The states are just going to hold the election regardless of what he says.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

We have a decentralized election apparatus in this country. The states are just going to hold the election regardless of what he says.

What I think we are all worried about, is that many states won't.

• Options
    Republican controlled states could use what Trump says as an excuse to engage in hijinks that could only get fixed after any election was over depending on if there was an injunction against them approved. Sort of like how it works with a lot of gerrymandering where, oops, looks like the people elected under the unconstitutionally gerrymandered districts have to be in office until at least the next election.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

That would be a 180 of epic proportions. Even the most head-up-their-asses of states have been pushing full steam on a regular election. That's not a train that can or should turn on a dime.

All this was is a distraction from, I'm guessing, the economic numbers that came out this morning.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

That would be a 180 of epic proportions. Even the most head-up-their-asses of states have been pushing full steam on a regular election. That's not a train that can or should turn on a dime.

All this was is a distraction from, I'm guessing, the economic numbers that came out this morning.

A distraction, but also Trump freaking out because things look absolutely grim for his campaign.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Normalization suggestions to delay the election based on fake fears of fraud is bad and should actively be fought against because it is just a dangerous undermining of anything that could be called democracy.

States allowing more voting by mail? Time to cut post office hours. Or they are just trying to do it because they hate the USPS. Or both. Hard to tell

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wxq47q/usps-plans-to-slash-hours-at-many-post-offices-hoping-to-save-a-buck
    Post offices around the country are slashing their hours—including during the busiest times of day—with little notice as yet another abrupt cost-saving measure, according to interviews with union officials conducted by Motherboard and various local news reports. The USPS had also planned to close some offices entirely with just three weeks’ notice, likely in violation of federal law, but appears to be backtracking.

The sudden changes come as part of a slate of policies instituted by the new Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, a Trump donor with a history of anti-union practices at his private logistics firm New Breed Logistics, that are ostensibly about fiscal responsibility but have contributed to mail being delayed across the country and have postal workers concerned they’re no longer being allowed to do their jobs. Many postal employees also believe the changes will only make the post office’s financial situation worse.

“A lot of this has been dropped on us with little or no communication,” said Elizabeth Coonan, a steward for the American Postal Workers Union Local 3264 in the Clarksburg, West Virginia area. “The times that they’re slating [the offices] to close is when they do a lot of business.”
    As a result, it’s difficult to get a complete picture of how many of the post office’s 31,322 retail locations nationwide are impacted by the new hours. Coogan told Motherboard that in her region of West Virginia 26 offices are being forced to reduce hours from the typical eight-hour weekday schedule to under four hours per day. Another 31 offices are being forced to close during lunch hours, typically among the busiest times of day at a post office. Frank Bollinger, the business agent for APWU Local 526 in southern New Jersey, told Motherboard that 10 offices in his region are dropping from nine open hours per weekday to four, while another 30 are slated to close during lunch hours.
    So they were going to violate federal law until some people noticed they were going to do so. Great.

And the hours cut make no sense as a "cost cutting by cutting the very not busy hours" thing.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Hopefully the rest of the media treat it like the BBC did.

"US President Donald Trump calls to delay 2020 election, citing possible mail-in voting fraud despite little evidence"

If they drop the bolded in the headlines and reporting, as I kinda expect them to do, they can go and get completely fucked, and I hope they all go bankrupt.

Have had it up to here *gestures at forehead* with them normalizing this fuckstain. We're in this position because politicians and the media have not held him to account, and not laid bare in stark fucking detail that This. Is. Not. Acceptable.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

"US President Donald Trump calls to delay 2020 election, citing possible mail-in voting fraud despite little evidence"

If they drop the bolded in the headlines and reporting, as I kinda expect them to do, they can go and get completely fucked, and I hope they all go bankrupt.

Have had it up to here *gestures at forehead* with them normalizing this fuckstain. We're in this position because politicians and the media have not held him to account, and not laid bare in stark fucking detail that This. Is. Not. Acceptable.

"despite little evidence" suggests there is evidence and he is not just pulling it all out of his ass.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Yup. Basically nothing about the election is under Trump's direct control so he can't directly do anything to delay it.

shryke on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

"despite little evidence" suggests there is evidence and he is not just pulling it all out of his ass.

There is evidence, Trump himself has committed felonious voter fraud

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

No evidence suggests a complete absence. When there has been some. A statistical blip, something like 0.00006%* and so having the smallest disclaimer is kind of necessary. Because then you have to explain that the statistical blip is exactly that, and if you're explaining in the face of bad faith, you're losing the messaging battle to accusations of fake news.

* I remember it being a long string of zeroes and a six. I may be offon the number of zeroes.

• Options
    I know Trump keeps doing things and getting away with them, but this election is not going to be delayed. He has no power to do so, and he's just throwing red meat all over the ground for his base and to distract the media from the economic numbers.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The Trumps
    McEnany
    Chauvin
    Bannon
    Giuliani
    Coulter

All people who voted in Florida, absentee, illegally

• Options
    I know Trump keeps doing things and getting away with them, but this election is not going to be delayed. He has no power to do so, and he's just throwing red meat all over the ground for his base and to distract the media from the economic numbers.

That's what I'm hoping for. "Trump can't do that, now on to the economy."

Not expecting it though. Media have proven inept until they consistently show otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.