As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Twilight Imperium - Game 6: Round 9 - Game Over!

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    @discrider @A Half Eaten Oreo what are your thoughts on giving this to Nekro?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

The Virus can probably use it better than me to disrupt the higher scoring players.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

You realize that Nekro is only going to use it to come after me, with my whopping 1 VP, right? That it won't be used against Sol.

• Options
    Hell, I'd be onboard with giving it to Nekro too if they hadn't gone full nihilist as soon as they lost that battle against Creuss.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I think Nekro wants a chance to win and there is very little of that if sol is on top. For any of us really. Also they did offer choice of home worlds if they win.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm withdrawing that offer, sol didn't take the bait I'm not helping jol nar

• Options
    I think Nekro wants a chance to win and there is very little of that if sol is on top. For any of us really. Also they did offer choice of home worlds if they win.

Go back and read Nekro's posts from the beginning of this round. They gave up entirely on winning after that massacre at the hands of Creuss and just started threatening everyone else.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Even if I was trying to win my path lies through jol nar anyway
    - they have tech, which I need, sol only has one interesting tech
    - they took my planets which i have to retake anyway
    - they have some easily sniped cultural planets

Attacking sol (I still think I would win, unless sol's hand was just like all the shields holding and fighter prototype) would in effect hand the game to someone else, but never me

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Well thanks for your honesty I guess. Now I'll have to rethink.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Yeah, like the best action for everyone else is for me to go bash sol. That effectively halts their win progress - or at least forces them to waste enough resources that the other 3 can establish local superiority, and then jol nar gets X89 and blows up the MR infantry

But that doesn't advance my theoretical win and I'm not feeling especially charitable towards the biggest beneficiary of that move

I suppose I could take MR before they activate imperial, that's a done deal. Except I also have to retake my planets, so meh

• Options
    How can I help you help everyone else

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I genuinely can't think of anything. The most I'd consider doing is taking MR but that does only have an 85% win chance on the simple attack and leaves my home defense unacceptably weak. I would lose to the sol counterattack and a jol nar attack. If I dumped everything I still might lose to the sol counterattack (6 sol infantry do a lot of damage) and my homeworld would be empty

Plus, I don't really have any reason to oppose a sol win. They haven't done anything to me and made some very good early play

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Like you guys voted to give sol a VP basically just to stop me getting a tech and a ship. I'm not seeing why I should even care

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Nah.
    I voted for Sol to get a VP to prevent Sol getting a VP and a tech or some rubbish.

• Options
    Oh right they had the imperial rider. So it was VP for sol or, VP for everyone, tech for me & sol, ship for me. You still voted give sol a bigger lead

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I thought denying the tech was more important, and that the bigger the relative lead, the more likely Jol Nar sits on them rather than holing up and trying to catch up in VP.

discrider on
  • Options
    I wasn't kidding when I said Nekro went full nihilist after that bad battle, and that there's plenty to go back and read that they've posted to that effect. They gave up on playing to win immediately, rather vocally.

I don't think anyone can bring enough pressure on Sol by themselves to have a strong enough effect. It would probably take one person hitting MR and another hitting at or near their home system. I fully understand that any plan in which I'm the one hitting MR would be poorly received, as well it should be, so I'd be willing to put pressure on their home system and have Naalu or Winnu hit MR. I don't see either of you being able to actually win that invasion combat though. Naalu, you could build your flagship and then probably do it, but with a movement of 1 and you not having Gravity Drive...well, it might be possible to pull off this round if you win this agenda and take Tech and use it to research Gravity Drive, and bring a whole mess of fighters along with. I could research X-89 and you could take it with the promissory note, but you have no ships on the board capable of bombarding and have similar issues with the slowness of building and moving something like a dread all the way to MR fast enough. And you'd need more than 1 to be safe since X-89 only works if you actually hit at least 1 bombard roll.

Eh, I dunno, I can't concentrate to save my soul right now. But I think if you want to slow Sol down, it's going to require more fleet investment and direct action on your part, Naalu. Build some stuff and take Wellon and then threaten MR or any of their other systems from there. I'm open to coordinating action on my part. Nekro will come be angry at me in the meantime, but c'est la vie.

• Options
    Just give me War Suns and x89 no worries

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Just give me War Suns and x89 no worries

Honestly, I was about to write another post suggesting that if Naalu really wants to slow Sol down, and to do it collectively, they could trade my promissory note to Winnu so that Winnu could get X-89 from me.

It would still be tight though. You'd have to research Gravity Drive (or have a Flank Speed and not get Sabotaged) to get a dread there. Or win this agenda, I suppose. But that would only get 1 dread there, and if you miss that bombard roll then so much for X-89.

• Options
    discrider "A Half Eaten Oreo" what are your thoughts on giving this to Nekro?

I'm happy to spend some votes making Jol waste some votes

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Naalu has enough of a fighter swarm to be a real threat, plus they have their upgraded fighters. They should be fighter swarming much harder though and 2nd shipyard not on druaa was a mistake (carrier + 6 fighter build). Almost all of those fighters should be on the front lines, not being a garrison

Winnu doing the X89 bombardment is a very good idea but... they lack gravity drive too and can't actually get it without basically completely forgoing a build

Phyphor on
  • Options
    discrider wrote: »
    discrider "A Half Eaten Oreo" what are your thoughts on giving this to Nekro?

I'm happy to spend some votes making Jol waste some votes

I want this to go to you or Naalu so either of you can actually do something. I don't want it for myself, other than for the minor amusement value in taking the rest of Nekro's planets at this point.

If you just want me to use up votes because you want to make sure I don't vote in a harmful way on the next agenda, I'd be happy to exchange Political Secrets with you right now.

• Options
    But realistically even then sol can just drop more stuff on MR. Jol nar's fleet stands a little, tiny bit of a chance of not immediately getting booted off

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    But realistically even then sol can just drop more stuff on MR. Jol nar's fleet stands a little, tiny bit of a chance of not immediately getting booted off

Sol has a small number of infantry outside of MR, and only 1 with a good path to getting there right now. They can plenty of fighters there, sure. But actually winning an Invasion combat to retake it is a whole other story. And shifting everything that way would leave their home system completely open - which is why I offered to hit/threaten their home system in a coordinated attack.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Frankly it'd be all a bit easier if we just blow up MR next agenda

discrider on
  • Options
    Sol can always poop out more infantry wherever

• Options
    Anyway, my wife took our kids to go camp out in her parents' backyard so the kids can spend some socially distanced outside time with them. So at this point I should probably go pick up some beer for the kegerator, settle in downstairs with a massive LEGO set that needs building and as many movies that aren't family friendly as I can possibly stay awake for, and become comfortably numb.

• Options
    Oh, but before I go: Winnu, I'd love for you to not worry about me so you can concentrate on whatever would make this game more interesting. I have no interest in doing anything to mess with you. To that end, I'd like to offer an exchange of Political Secrets and Ceasefires. Say, Political Secrets now and Ceasefires as soon as the next Agenda starts. I dunno, think about it.

• Options
    You should post a picture of the lego set when you are done.
    Naalu has enough of a fighter swarm to be a real threat, plus they have their upgraded fighters. They should be fighter swarming much harder though and 2nd shipyard not on druaa was a mistake (carrier + 6 fighter build). Almost all of those fighters should be on the front lines, not being a garrison

Winnu doing the X89 bombardment is a very good idea but... they lack gravity drive too and can't actually get it without basically completely forgoing a build

I never claimed to make good choices.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited August 2020
    You should post a picture of the lego set when you are done.

I never claimed to make good choices.

3,000 piece Chinese knock-off SHIELD Helicarrier. I need to make sure it has all of its pieces and that they all fit together properly while still in the window for replacements. I got about 20% done yesterday and everything is looking good so far :D

Ketar on
  • Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Oh, but before I go: Winnu, I'd love for you to not worry about me so you can concentrate on whatever would make this game more interesting. I have no interest in doing anything to mess with you. To that end, I'd like to offer an exchange of Political Secrets and Ceasefires. Say, Political Secrets now and Ceasefires as soon as the next Agenda starts. I dunno, think about it.

(I don't have either)

• Options
    Wow, I really am doing a poor job of paying attention. Well, try not to worry about Jol-nar regardless then, I guess.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Also: qqj084bipa8j.gif

It occurred to me that it's Friday night and the weather is beautiful and bars/brewery taprooms are at least partially re-opened so I'm deffo not going to exchange kegs right now because there will be a ton of unmasked people hanging out drinking and I will hate it. Gotta remember to do it at like 11am or something like that. Wine and knock-off legos it is then.

Ketar on
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    So...voting?

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Yep, @38thDoe to vote or abstain on the agenda. Here's where we currently stand:

Minister of War (Law)
    Elect Player: The elected player gains this card. The owner of this card may discard this card after performing an action to remove 1 of his command tokens from the game board and return it to his reinforcements; then, he may perform 1 additional action.

Voting Order
    Federation of Sol (MrBody): 5 votes - Winnu
    The Naalu Collective (38thDoe): Up to 11 votes
    The Winnu (discrider): Up to 14 votes
    Universities of Jol-Nar (Ketar): Up to 18 votes
    The Ghosts of Creuss (A Half Eaten Oreo): Up to 5 votes
    Nekro Virus (Phyphor): Cannot vote due to Galactic Threat; Speaker

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Diplomacy having failed us, we will vote 11 to retain this power under the sea... Under the sea!

(11 votes for naalu)

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @38thDoe willing to be bribed not to vote for myself.
    I sort of really really need TG or my note back.

I may have taken an all Inf position and two objectives are spend Resources -_-

discrider on
  • Options
    I remain willing to sell or trade votes.

• Options
    How many trade goods?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀