As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Some of his later updates are a bit hard to swallow.

But even if this is fake there is definitely an element of truth to all this.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    That seems like it would be easy to disprove, yet nobody's managed to provide concrete evidence in the thread - only proof that later trains aren't cancelled

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I refuse to believe this is real on the grounds of protecting my own sanity.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    See this, this just has the petty little-Englander-esque inanity which is hard to counterfeit. If the dude is making it up from whole cloth, then I will happily buy his books and proclaim him the next Christopher Brookmyre.

From the start it read like a classic Terry Pratchett caricature.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I thought it was fake the instant he casually texted the mayor.

I mean, mayors must have friends, but that seemed too convenient

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    I thought it was fake the instant he casually texted the mayor.

I mean, mayors must have friends, but that seemed too convenient

It's not that implausible

France has over 36,000 communes, each of which has a mayor. Some of the smaller communes only have a handful of people in them

It would be about equivalent to being on first name terms with your local councillor in the UK

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I don't really see a problem to be upset about giving Hong Kongers asylum other than like, pure undistilled racisim. I mean they speak English, they value democracy and human rights and they've been educated in a system designed by the UK. Culturally they're about as close as it gets! Yes, up to three million people at once is a lot but spread them around the country rather than dumping them all in one place and we shouldn't see services get overloaded?

Possibly the reason there hasn't been much outright complaint about the idea (yet) is because its pretty hard to without bluntly saying "don't want them because they're Asian".

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I want to scream in the face of these morons until they die, sometimes

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    I don't really see a problem to be upset about giving Hong Kongers asylum other than like, pure undistilled racisim. I mean they speak English, they value democracy and human rights and they've been educated in a system designed by the UK. Culturally they're about as close as it gets! Yes, up to three million people at once is a lot but spread them around the country rather than dumping them all in one place and we shouldn't see services get overloaded?

Possibly the reason there hasn't been much outright complaint about the idea (yet) is because its pretty hard to without bluntly saying "don't want them because they're Asian".

Honestly I super support this move. It's a broken clock but we should absolutely be saying that if you're oppressed by the CCP you're welcome. We should be saying it more broadly, but still. I hope we see an influx of immigration from HK as a result

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

This is totally a thing that happens.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Some of his later updates are a bit hard to swallow.

But even if this is fake there is definitely an element of truth to all this.

Not quite the same, by my day job involves talking to people about boiler insurance and hoo boy the people who are annoyed that the company I work for was only attending emergencies over the last few months. Never underestimate peoples ability to assume that they are somehow extremely important and therefore the rules don't apply to them.

I literally just spoke to a man asking for a discount because "we could have come out, but chose not to" and its "not his fault" that the company chose to protect engineers and customers.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

The last tweet in this chain is just going to be, "The Aristocrats".

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Tbh the thing that makes me most certain that twitter thread isn't real is just how perfectly calibrated it is to get under my skin. That's what initially allowed it to bypass my troll filter* and make me too annoyed to think critically about it. It's just too good at what it does and the ever escalating series of events is passing the point of credibility.

*which is usually pretty on point these days the trick is just don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt and you're almost always right

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I dunno, the (very early) point at which the couple's son just rang up this acquaintance of his parents to discuss Brexit was the part where I immediately stopped believing it.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Whether or not his Brexit saga is real, the dude is at the very least sympathetic to TERFs

Edit: account appears to have been nuked, but what i refer to here is on June 10 it quote tweeted JKR and praised a TERFy article she wrote

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Account apparently no longer exists, can't see these recent tweets at all now.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Whether or not his Brexit saga is real, the dude is at the very least sympathetic to TERFs

So a writer who some people are taking way too seriously and is at the very least TERF adjacent?

Oh shit, we've found JK Rowling's next pen name

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    See this, this just has the petty little-Englander-esque inanity which is hard to counterfeit. If the dude is making it up from whole cloth, then I will happily buy his books and proclaim him the next Christopher Brookmyre.

you cannot buy his books, as they do not exist

which is a stroke of genius imo. i was immediately willing to believe that he was some british author i hadn't heard of, on the basis that nobody would ever lie about such an easily falsifiable thing

anyway the account is deleted now and the whole thing was obviously bullshit from start to finish

• Options
    Back to dealing with reality, I guess

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular

From the brief perusal of an article it seems like the gov is going to be opening up ~200k spots, which around 3 million will be eligible for.

Interestingly, my friend who has family back in HK was saying how a bunch of folks had been applying for BNO in the hope that this would happen. So at least some are certainly going to jump at the chance.

I think I read also that Oz might be doing something similar?

Hopefully this can be the start of the international community standing up to the clearly fascist regime in China.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    In actual good news for once, the House of Lords has decided lootboxes are actually gambling and should fall under gambling regulations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53253195

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Campy wrote: »

From the brief perusal of an article it seems like the gov is going to be opening up ~200k spots, which around 3 million will be eligible for.

Interestingly, my friend who has family back in HK was saying how a bunch of folks had been applying for BNO in the hope that this would happen. So at least some are certainly going to jump at the chance.

I think I read also that Oz might be doing something similar?

Hopefully this can be the start of the international community standing up to the clearly fascist regime in China.

IMO if we can be getting a bunch of English speaking educated people we should be snapping them up. The Germans moved fast and took as many skilled Syrian refugees as they could and this is a case where we could benefit from doing the same if the humanitarian side alone isn't reason enough for some people.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    In actual good news for once, the House of Lords has decided lootboxes are actually gambling and should fall under gambling regulations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53253195

Once again the unelected aristocracy do a better job of protecting us than the democratic government does.

The fact that statement is in no way sarcastic is more evidence reality needs to start bloody behaving itself.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    PM's father Stanley Johnson criticised for lockdown trip to Greece
    Because of course he bloody did.
    He told the Daily Mail he was in the country "on essential business"
    Oh, okay then.
    to ensure a property he rents out was "Covid-proof" before holidays restart.
    areyoufuckingkiddingme.gif

But wait, it gets better:
    Greece has re-opened its borders to some foreign travellers - except those from Sweden and the UK, who have been told they cannot fly to the country until 15 July.

But it has been reported Mr Johnson travelled via Bulgaria to avoid this rule.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

Prince Andrew is definitely sweating now.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Time to buy shares in Pizza Express

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Oh, okay then.

Greece has re-opened its borders to some foreign travellers - except those from Sweden and the UK, who have been told they cannot fly to the country until 15 July.

Came here to post about this because I just learned about it from my wife whose parents live near where the Johnsons have a house. What a bellend. Greece worked really hard to contain Covid and have been quite succesful. But I guess someone from England doing whatever you like in Greece even if it fucks them over has some historical precedent.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Speaking of TERFs, Laurie Penny wrote a good backgrounder on left wing transphobia in the UK and how it happened. (Short version: Second Wave radicals seized on anti-trans backlash in the 2000s to build support.)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Oh, okay then.

Answering for the government, Commons leader Jacob Rees-Mogg said: "I seem to remember somewhere in the Bible that the sins of the father will be visited on the son, but I don't remember it ever being the other way round.

"I think that the honourable gentleman is really fishing desperately to try and make any criticism of the PM."

But it's not the other way round? It's the sins of the father...

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Oh, okay then.

Answering for the government, Commons leader Jacob Rees-Mogg said: "I seem to remember somewhere in the Bible that the sins of the father will be visited on the son, but I don't remember it ever being the other way round.

"I think that the honourable gentleman is really fishing desperately to try and make any criticism of the PM."

But it's not the other way round? It's the sins of the father...

And they're asking the sins of the father to be applied to the father. Fortunately Johnson has a cumming plan...

• Options
    This whole democracy thing isn't working out. Let's just admit it's been a failed experiment and enact some sort of benevolent feudalism.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    This whole democracy thing isn't working out. Let's just admit it's been a failed experiment and enact some sort of benevolent feudalism.

The problem is keeping it "benevolent" over any length of time whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNSq5wYdwb0

• Options

The problem is keeping it "benevolent" over any length of time whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNSq5wYdwb0

I know, that's the joke.
    Speaking of TERFs, Laurie Penny wrote a good backgrounder on left wing transphobia in the UK and how it happened. (Short version: Second Wave radicals seized on anti-trans backlash in the 2000s to build support.)

Worth pointing out this article is an excellent read. Thanks for sharing it.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Johnson just called no deal a good option...

Yeah we're fucked....

• Options
    So how much as been spent on trying to avoid this great option which is the literal least we could possibly get?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Johnson just called no deal a good option...

Yeah we're fucked....

So he likes the thing he likes? Perhaps somebody should ask him if he likes ice cream, puppies, and denying paternity.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    So how much as been spent on trying to avoid this great option which is the literal least we could possibly get?

Worse than that, from what I remember back the pre-Brexit negotiations where happening I think there was an issue where even crashing out to WTO terms wasn't exactly going to be seamless (ignoring the necessity of developing the paperwork and the customs infrastructure) because WTO Tariff Rate Quotas (where X amount of a good is taxed at 10% and any additional imports above that number get a higher rate) were assigned to the EU as a whole, so those TRQ's need to be divided up between the UK and the rest of the EU. Even a no-deal Brexit will require making a deal with the EU. Good times.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

Worse than that, from what I remember back the pre-Brexit negotiations where happening I think there was an issue where even crashing out to WTO terms wasn't exactly going to be seamless (ignoring the necessity of developing the paperwork and the customs infrastructure) because WTO Tariff Rate Quotas (where X amount of a good is taxed at 10% and any additional imports above that number get a higher rate) were assigned to the EU as a whole, so those TRQ's need to be divided up between the UK and the rest of the EU. Even a no-deal Brexit will require making a deal with the EU. Good times.
    So how much more fucked canwill we get when we don't make that no-deal deal?

• Options
    edited July 2020

So how much more fucked canwill we get when we don't make that no-deal deal?

The fucked-ometer loops round like a car odometer and we're back in the EU

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

It needs the agreement of the WTO as a whole. To a certain degree it doesn't matter whether the EU and UK agree.

The UK proposal was that they should be divided up in line with historic trade flows (e.g. if the trq for New Zealand lamb exported to the EU is 1,000,000 tons, and historically 10% of NZ lamb exports to the EU ended up in the UK, then the TRQs should be UK 100,000 tons, EU 900,000 tons)

This has been specifically objected to by a number of WTO members, who generally make two points:
    - they don't see why their EU TRQs should be unilaterally reduced as the result of an internal EU political decision
    - this arrangement is disproportionately favourable to the UK, as it grants the UK TRQs negotiated using the EU's size and bargaining power, which the UK would not be able to secure if it was negotiating alone as a smaller entity with reduced bargaining power

I haven't actually kept up with what was happening with those discussions, so things may have moved on

This discussion has been closed.