As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I mean a french maire does have quite a bit of clout. My parents had a house built over in France (now sold, not Brexit related but for the best considering) and he had to personally sign off on their choice of roof tiles IIRC.

But not enough clout to influence Brexit related matters of course.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I've got to travel into London by train on Friday. Hoping the fact that it's the day before the Great Reopening means it will be really quiet

As a south-londoner, everything feels like lockdown is over. ~20% of people on public transport are actually wearing masks. Was on the tram the other day and two mothers came in with 5 young kids between them, no masks, no distancing.

I'm avoiding the tube. Got to get the train to Paddington and then I'll walk. Train will be after commuter rush so hopefully won't be too busy.

And then of course hopefully my taxi driver for the journey home isn't a plague carrier.

(There are trams in London? This I never knew)

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I've got to travel into London by train on Friday. Hoping the fact that it's the day before the Great Reopening means it will be really quiet

As a south-londoner, everything feels like lockdown is over. ~20% of people on public transport are actually wearing masks. Was on the tram the other day and two mothers came in with 5 young kids between them, no masks, no distancing.

I'm avoiding the tube. Got to get the train to Paddington and then I'll walk. Train will be after commuter rush so hopefully won't be too busy.

And then of course hopefully my taxi driver for the journey home isn't a plague carrier.

the trams are south of the river, around Croydon.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Dibbit wrote: »
    I don't think it would ever occur to me to ask a mayor to do anything, like is that even a real position, it feels like just something out of old films

Asking the Mayor to do stuff is a small town thing. It happens because part of the bureaucracy is just not present or (seldom) needed. So you talk to the Mayor about things, and they (ask their secretary) to bring the paperwork in order. For instance, in the town I grew up with, there was no official way to ask for a handicapped parking spot to be constructed. So, the Mayors office took on this request.

To be fair, the UK is unusually centralised relative to most European countries. Local government here has very few delegated powers and a narrow scope of authority

Not that that makes trying to convince a French mayor to cancel brexit make any more sense.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    As always with PMQs it's never particularly important when it comes to shifting the needle on any national feeling, as only political wonks and journalists really care, but Starmer again kicked Johnson firmly in the balls today. If nothing else, it's nice to fill every possible minute of Johnson's life with people dunking on him in public.

• Options
    In other news they've just announced that about 3 million British Overseas National passport holders in Hong Kong can resettle in the UK because of the new law from China being adjudged to be breaking the treaty China and the UK signed when Hong Kong was handed over.

This seems like pretty big news.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    That is pretty massive news tbh

The UK saying that China has breached that treaty is relatively serious. Not that the UK in any way can realise any influence over China on it I think, but it's definitely significant and escalates tensions between the UK and China

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The Colston Arms pub in Bristol is going to be renamed.
    They're taking suggestions, but I kind of like the current name they're using:
    xk35cn1fflqz.png

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    So in UK education news. Looks like the plan for next years students is just as soul destroying.

Leaked reports are showing that basically all schools drop subjects that are not Maths and English. One of the biggest academy chains in the country is now going to do exactly that.

• Options
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Stock photo models must dread the day something interesting happens and they want to share it on social media

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'm absolutely fine with that story being fake. I'm still enjoying it immensely.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    The Colston Arms pub in Bristol is going to be renamed.
    They're taking suggestions, but I kind of like the current name they're using:
    xk35cn1fflqz.png

For a while there I was concerned that there had been a pub on St Michael's Hill that I never visited. Turns out it just used to be called Micawbers.

Crisis averted.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Bogart wrote: »

Schadenfreude now replaced with familiar feeling of disappointment.

I have some information that will BLOW YOUR MIND, Bogart.

I'm not actually John "Hannibal" Smith, and while I do love it when a plan comes together, I don't have access to a crack commando unit.
    In fact, I've not even been send to prison for a crime I didn't commit.

All joking aside: It's possibly fake, on the other hand, it's possibly just an avatar he liked.

Dibbit on
  • Options
    The other picture in his profile is also public domain, the account is only a few months old and no one can find a trace of anything called the "David Saunders" books mentioned in his bio. Also the longer the thread gets the less believable it is.

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    The other picture in his profile is also public domain, the account is only a few months old and no one can find a trace of anything called the "David Saunders" books mentioned in his bio. Also the longer the thread gets the less believable it is.

Why would someone do that? Just go on the internet and make stuff up?

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    In other news they've just announced that about 3 million British Overseas National passport holders in Hong Kong can resettle in the UK because of the new law from China being adjudged to be breaking the treaty China and the UK signed when Hong Kong was handed over.

I can’t wait for the Brexit fanatics to learn that three million people Hong Kong citizens will be eligible to move here and become British Citizens in 5 years.

Hopefully a few tens or thousands will want to be nurses and doctors so we can replenish the NHS.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »

the trams are south of the river, around Croydon.

More just the one tram route. There's a good unfinished london about it.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »

Why would someone do that? Just go on the internet and make stuff up?

Why not?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Actually kind of relieved the thread is fake. Bravo troll guy, you got me.

• Options
    Casual wrote: »
    Actually kind of relieved the thread is fake. Bravo troll guy, you got me.

If it turns out this was viral marketing for a book that’s actually coming out, I’ll buy it,

That thread was some of the funniest stuff I’ve read for a while.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If it is fiction, dude has the “hold a mirror up to nature” thing down pat. It was depressingly plausible.

• Options
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Somewhat mixed signals from the government. Stay distanced!

But get pissed.

Get pissed at home. Got it!

*grabs a bottle of whisky*

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

But get pissed.

I have overtime on Saturday. I need to get in early, so I can leave at 12 and be home for 1.

I predict Liverpool city centre will be fucking heaving by 2pm.

Double heaving if the weather is really nice.

I expect to see video of police getting called out by around 8 pm.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular

But get pissed.

Protect the NHS by completely overwhelming A&E!

• Options
    There are going to be three main groups this weekend:

People who haven't bothered reading the new guidelines and get arsey when the pubs try to enforce their distancing measures

People who make a token effort and give up once they get drunk, turning into group 1

People trying their best but get overwhelmed by groups 1 and 2

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    will be interesting to see how much effect it has on numbers in a couple weeks or so

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

But get pissed.

They just used the wrong glassware in the gif

4ratu0twxg0o.jpg

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    will be interesting to see how much effect it has on numbers in a couple weeks or so

"interesting", yes.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

But get pissed.

And it's gone!

• Options
    There are going to be three main groups this weekend:

People who haven't bothered reading the new guidelines and get arsey when the pubs try to enforce their distancing measures

People who make a token effort and give up once they get drunk, turning into group 1

People trying their best but get overwhelmed by groups 1 and 2

You forgot group four - pub owners who have made no money in 3 months and won’t give a shit about any of this distancing nonsense, cram them in !

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Anecdotally from work the pubs that have been the worst at sticking to lockdown are the ones in the suburbs and smaller towns.

Too many police in the city centres and the big chains have all taken to the lockdown pretty well.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Anecdotally from work the pubs that have been the worst at sticking to lockdown are the ones in the suburbs and smaller towns.

Too many police in the city centres and the big chains have all taken to the lockdown pretty well.

Our village pub has delayed opening by another week whilst they sort things out.
    M-Vickers wrote: »

I can’t wait for the Brexit fanatics to learn that three million people Hong Kong citizens will be eligible to move here and become British Citizens in 5 years.

Hopefully a few tens or thousands will want to be nurses and doctors so we can replenish the NHS.

Honestly, I think this is something Brexiteers will be 100% on board with. It's last flight out of 'Nam for the last major bit of the Empire.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Our village pub has delayed opening by another week whilst they sort things out.

Yeah our favourite local isn't opening yet either. It's so small with proper distancing you could only fit about 8 people in, so I have no idea how they're going to work it.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Honestly, I think this is something Brexiteers will be 100% on board with. It's last flight out of 'Nam for the last major bit of the Empire.

Yeah, it reinforces the idea that britain is great, and the empire was great, and we should all be thankful for it. So, they love it.

It happens to be the right thing for the government to have done, but hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    See this, this just has the petty little-Englander-esque inanity which is hard to counterfeit. If the dude is making it up from whole cloth, then I will happily buy his books and proclaim him the next Christopher Brookmyre.

• Options
    RS Archer SLAMS critics with DEVESTATING clapback at the HATERS:

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    See this, this just has the petty little-Englander-esque inanity which is hard to counterfeit. If the dude is making it up from whole cloth, then I will happily buy his books and proclaim him the next Christopher Brookmyre.

That does perfectly capture the 'I do the bare minimum of what is required of me, why can't people bend over backwards to accommodate me?' attitude.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

That does perfectly capture the 'I do the bare minimum of what is required of me, why can't people bend over backwards to accommodate me?' attitude.

I do what's necessary to avoid having to live in a cave dug out of a pile of my garbage, so other people should do what's necessary to let me circumvent another countries immigration laws.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
This discussion has been closed.