Options

[WH40K] Battle Forge is here

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I never realised the Leman Russ got redesigned. It wasn't as much of a change as the rhino of old. I thought it was still the Leman Russ frames that used to come with the Hunter Killer missiles and bulldozer blade accessory sprue. I could have sworn the Avatar got redone at some point, I guess I was just thinking of the forgeworld version. Oh yeah, the Exarches, but those are still good models.

@Orogogus is right that the Avatar got a rerelease in 1994. It's definitely had a weird history, as there've been technically been four different versions of it:

502919_md-2nd%20Edition%2C%20Alaitoc%2C%20Avatar%20Of%20Khaine%2C%20Eldar%2C%20Forge%20World%2C%20Rogue%20Trader.JPG
    1elt8sgstctg.png

The current 40k version (left), the Forgeworld version (mid), the Rogue Trader version (right), and the current Age of Sigmar version (bottom). It doesn't help that they're all vastly different sizes from each other.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    You’re missing the second Forge World version, with the spear. Plus I don’t think the AoS version should count as it’s not bloody-handed Khaine, whose claws are forever stained with the blood of the hero Eldanesh, just regular Khaine Heartripper, god of murder and deadly strife.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    You’re missing the second Forge World version, with the spear. Plus I don’t think the AoS version should count as it’s not bloody-handed Khaine, whose claws are forever stained with the blood of the hero Eldanesh, just regular Khaine Heartripper, god of murder and deadly strife.

Bleh, I always forget the Forgeworld spear one isn't just a straight weapon swap.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Burnage wrote: »

Bleh, I always forget the Forgeworld spear one isn't just a straight weapon swap.
    Yeah, he’s actually a very different pose despite having much else in common. I actually kinda want to pick one up since they’ve apparently stopped making the sword version…

Also there are two Epic scale versions to consider. Though they’re actually both about the size of the RT version, relatively that would make them close to Questoris Knight-sized.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    I told a pal I'd get back into 40k when Eldar get the proper amount of lovin' they deserve. So I'm good for a few more editions I'd wager. There's only so much being "classic" that the aged sculpts can shoulder. Finecast was a substantial nail in the Eldar coffin. :(

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    How weirdly serendipitous...

The Crusade articles last week got me all nostalgic for my first army, so I pulled out my old metal Farseer, Warlock, and Avatar and decided to start giving a paint job they deserve, not the one they got when I lived in a town with only a TG&Y that sold Testors paint and brushes for modeling.

Those poor poor models.

Edit- I stripped them over a decade ago and they’ve languished in my bits box ever since.
    WIP
    nazeebw39a3y.jpeg

Nealneal on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    You have the bug headed farseer as well
    inymc834jrlx.png
    I don't want to strip mine because I just leave it to remind me of how far I have come and such

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The stock shortage at GW Australia is getting bad. The Tyranid range is about 60% unavailable, and even the Genestealer range has run out of Ridgerunners and Goliaths. Which is annoying because I still want a couple of Goliaths.

From the Tyranid range I want Carnifexes and Haruspex kits and those are completely out.

Knowing of these shortages everyone selling these second hand have immediately jacked up their prices.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Also there are two Epic scale versions to consider. Though they’re actually both about the size of the RT version, relatively that would make them close to Questoris Knight-sized.

If I recall correctly, the original Epic Eldar Avatar was the height of, like, a 40K Gretchin, if you don't count the Avatar's spear. They upscaled him a little for the Epic 40K version, but the Avatar, the greater daemons and the daemon princes were all pretty small dudes.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    This is probably my favourite avatar of khaine, because I kinda prefer the design of the metal avatar over the forgeworld one. The forgeworld version is still very nice with his body actually looking like molten rock and slag but I think the cleaner look of the metal one works better as a model.

5o2udlbpkkwl.jpg

http://www.coolminiornot.com/browse/browseid/10112432

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    As well as they've been sculpting newer models, I'd love to see what GW could do with a new avatar model, and I don't play eldar.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Khraul wrote: »
    As well as they've been sculpting newer models, I'd love to see what GW could do with a new avatar model, and I don't play eldar.

I probably would play Eldar if they redid some of the old-ass models, especially the Avatar

Nechriah on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Avatar plus court of the young king squad of exarchs would be such a fun painting project

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    That metal avatar model's ponytail makes it a tremendous pain to handle and use on the tabletop. You can't even really pin it because there's so little material at the join.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The stock shortage at GW Australia is getting bad. The Tyranid range is about 60% unavailable, and even the Genestealer range has run out of Ridgerunners and Goliaths. Which is annoying because I still want a couple of Goliaths.

From the Tyranid range I want Carnifexes and Haruspex kits and those are completely out.

Knowing of these shortages everyone selling these second hand have immediately jacked up their prices.

Yeah it's pretty bad, but I understand we should be getting more stock air freighted in. Additionally, some stores may still have stock of some things - but unfortunately I don't currently have any of those currently myself. It will hopefully improve soon, but they are prioritizing getting new stock and models in before restocks. So I advise if there is something you want you order it ASAP if you see it on the site.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options

As I did say earlier with the hints of Lelith Hesperax in the rumor pics and how GW seems to be replacing all finecast I am also curious if they redo the Avatar as my brother pointed out in a game that he looked dated compared to Ynnead {he made fun of the fact much of my eldar army he remembers from when he was in middle school} Some of the aspect warriors need love to since the Warp spiders are the same as they were back when they came out {still very curious if they redo them and other ones I still use the old dark reapers as I like the look of them compared to the newer ones

japan wrote: »
    That metal avatar model's ponytail makes it a tremendous pain to handle and use on the tabletop. You can't even really pin it because there's so little material at the join.

I left it loose and it still holds up 25+ years later

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Avatar plus court of the young king squad of exarchs would be such a fun painting project

I think the ??? eldar army my brother got had this?
    The reason I do the ??? as it's a mystery I have a Siam Hann jet bike army that was only for sale in Europe way back around 2000 or when the Craftworld codex came out
    There was three from what i remember the Ulthwe shftauxhl1co.png
    for everywhere a Biel Tan one only in NA and the Siam Hann was only in Europe
    Just he has it somewhere in a box but has no idea what it was and contacting GW about this they had no idea and wanted pics so I sent them the contents of the Siam Hann box {12 jetbikes the old waverunner style one 2 with the heavy shuriken cannon, a falcon, a metal parts fire prism a avatar and a box of guardians
    An unheard of army in a box from GW from the heady days of yore

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    This needs to be put here for folks.

https://youtu.be/Zp44GNRzvCc

40k Vermintide against Deathguard.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    This needs to be put here for folks.

40k Vermintide against Deathguard.

I don't think that trooper took the time to whisper the requisite prayers before applying percussive maintenance to their rifle. Certainly failed to anoint it with holy unguents and I don't see any incense burners.
    If that's how they venerate the machine spirit, it's no wonder the thing is failing in the time of need.

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Look, once you work for the Inquisition, you don't have to follow that stupid prayer book anymore. Your weapon's machine spirit should just be pleased to be doing the God-Emperor's holy work in your hand and not need such coddling.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Nechriah wrote: »

I probably would play Eldar if they redid some of the old-ass models, especially the Avatar

This is precisely my metric for what my second army will be. Now that I'm getting to a point of having several thousand points of Primaris to mix and match, I want to start a non-Imperium army and my primary metric is "Is it mostly new sculpted plastic?".

Which is probably why it will be Necrons all things considered. New sculpts I've already bought with Indomitus, more on the way, and relatively easy to paint.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    With Shadowsun getting a new model Tau armies are all plastic except the optional marksman

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    With Shadowsun getting a new model Tau armies are all plastic except the optional marksman

Kroot hounds, Krootox, Shapers and Vespid too.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

Gross

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    japan wrote: »

I left it loose and it still holds up 25+ years later

Huh, yours must fit more tightly than mine

Part of the issue I've always had is that the weight of it means it levers itself off the sticky up part on the main body of the model unless firmly glued in place

japan on
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular

Farsight, Aun'Va and Darkstrider are still finecast as well

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So if I got the pre order bonus stuff with my pre order that some how went though on the GW site, would it say in the order itself or do I need to wait until it gets here to see?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Viking wrote: »

Farsight, Aun'Va and Darkstrider are still finecast as well

Farsight is resin? hmm I still have the metal pieces one that I was trying to do something with but I lacked the tools and time

But yay I got in before the buzzer to get a copy of Indomitus now I wait

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Stragint wrote: »
    So if I got the pre order bonus stuff with my pre order that some how went though on the GW site, would it say in the order itself or do I need to wait until it gets here to see?

It will say on the order; the bonus stuff is a separate line item, cost zero, that got auto-added to your basket if you were in time:
    spe2kzljt8wy.jpeg

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

I think it shows up on the order itself. IIRC like when they were giving out free total war codes with every online order you'd see that as an additional $0 item on the invoice.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Got my FedEx tracking number for Indomitus. I still assume it won't arrive by Saturday, but I'm still going to sneak down to my FLGS and see if I can't snag a second box right as they open. I'm risking not doing a build to order because I figured worst comes to worst, I'll just snatch up the Space Marine half from someone.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    FYI the app is out. I downloaded it and signed up. OMG I don't have to carry 40 books anymore to play my armies!

The army builder isn't up yet but the app feels very much like the AoS App. All the rules and data sheets for all the armies. Wording and points have already been updated to 9th.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    So far the only downside for the app is I can't see any of the data sheets without a subscription. The AoS app let's me see data sheets.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    So far the only downside for the app is I can't see any of the data sheets without a subscription. The AoS app let's me see data sheets.

They specifically said this was how it would work.

The army builder and data sheets require a subscription for now. When you buy a codex you scan it in and it will update so you can see your codex and the units.

Right now a subscription gives you access to every book produced in 8th.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    They've been pretty upfront about the subscription being required for datasheets to be fair.

The funny thing in the app is when you select basic rules it basically takes you to a googledoc webpage. I'd have assumed it would have been something formatted for phones etc.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The sign up page keeps telling me "This field is required" on the state selection even though I have selected my state. I'll have to try again later.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Yea, I couldn't remember if that is the case or not with the data sheets and I downloaded the app before looking at the article about it. For now the subscription just isn't worth it since I play Space Wolves and Necrons and all I need for them is the codex and psychic awakening for my Space Wolves and just the codex for my Necrons.

I think once 9th starts getting fleshed out codex wise I'll grab the app subscription.

Also, feels kind of weird that one of the models I'm most looking forward to from Indomitus are the Cryptothralls. I love those little trashcans.

Stragint on

• Options
    Yea, I couldn't remember if that is the case or not with the data sheets and I downloaded the app before looking at the article about it. For now the subscription just isn't worth it since I play Space Wolves and Necrons and all I need for them is the codex and psychic awakening for my Space Wolves and just the codex for my Necrons.

I think once 9th starts getting fleshed out codex wise I'll grab the app subscription.

Also, feels kind of weird that one of the models I'm most looking forward to from Indomitus are the Cryptothralls. I love those little trashcans.

For me it is useful.

My chaos space marines at this point required 4-5 books to play. This is nicer. Ad Mech it is nice though I own both books but less to carry and up to date. Deathwatch is an utter mess in the app like it is post White Dwarf. Still has the old Duty Eternal strat, still as the ability to change doctrines. The wording on the DW tactic is odd and seems to make all units get it or no units. It is just a mess.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

For me it is useful.

My chaos space marines at this point required 4-5 books to play. This is nicer. Ad Mech it is nice though I own both books but less to carry and up to date. Deathwatch is an utter mess in the app like it is post White Dwarf. Still has the old Duty Eternal strat, still as the ability to change doctrines. The wording on the DW tactic is odd and seems to make all units get it or no units. It is just a mess.

Yea, it is absurdly useful for Chaos. So many different books and resources.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Huh... I had hoped each codex would have a points list in it. Kind of a pain to work from points listed on each datasheet until the army builder goes live.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6