Options

[WH40K] Battle Forge is here

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I was thinking about the earlier conversation about old Warhammer models that need current/resculpted plastics, and I thought the oldest model might be the Leman Russ/Imperial Guard tanks. What IS the oldest model currently?

About a third of the Craftworld range still dates to second edition, so I'd assume it's one of theirs. The current Avatar of Khaine model dates back to 1991?

Burnage on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    The Russ chassis did get a modern redesign post 5th edition, so it's fairly new by GW standards.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I think the Eldar Avatar, Phoenix Lords, Warp Spiders and some of their Warlocks are early 2E, but not 1991 -- around the time of their codex, 1994. The Avatar had a different model before the codex. Njal Stormcaller in power armor is around that old, too.

I can't say for sure, but I think the only models that predate 2E are the ones in the Armour Through the Ages set.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I dpn't play Guard, but I think Leman Russ tank models are pretty great, I don't know what a new sculpt would do except maybe update how the guns join the sponsons or something.

Wishing for new sculpts on models is a real Monkey's Paw situation. The Sisters of Battle got new sculpts and now their main battle tank costs $80.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I mean...my main battle tanks are 100 bucks as a Primaris player. It is what it is.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Russes look like how I think they should. As if you strapped guns on the baby of a tractor and a landship from WW1.

I wouldn't mind updated rhinos. Just a new mold. Fucking hell building one of those is just horrible.

But really I wish they would update anything that is from more than 6 editions ago. Aka god damn Eldar for example.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I was thinking about the earlier conversation about old Warhammer models that need current/resculpted plastics, and I thought the oldest model might be the Leman Russ/Imperial Guard tanks. What IS the oldest model currently?

I think some of the Eldar warlocks, being around '97 ('97 was the plastic eldar vehicles - those two warlocks are '94 and came out two months after the Warp Spiders, but at the same time as the Exarch). Spear guy and the one with the sword held back. I've got a feeling that they might have come out at the same time as the warp spiders or a little before. Vyper and Falcon were shortly after.

99810104012_FarseerWarlocksNEW_01.jpg

Although those minitures did get new moulds made for Finecast. So the oldest original frame/sprue is the Vyper.
    Until recently there were more Warlocks, but think the '90 and '91 ones have been discontinued.

[edit]It's a bit out of date now. being pre-ork buggy update, but here's an ancient Warseer thread that listed all the releases for the last three decades. Or more or less.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Didn’t Guard tanks get redone with more bits in 4th/5th Edition?

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    You know who else likes new things?
    heretics

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

They're also incompatible with the old kits, quite a few of the cuts are in different places and there's a few bits a few mm out.
    Or any kit that old has warped a bit...

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

They're also incompatible with the old kits, quite a few of the cuts are in different places and there's a few bits a few mm out.
    Or any kit that old has warped a bit...

Well, it is 40k. Wouldn't be the first time something didn't take kindly to the warp.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really like the falcon's body the turret needs the love
    70lfc0pq601b.png

as they could use the fire prism turret with different options but it's the sprue that you get with the wave serpent that throws this ideal. I liked the forgeworld ones that came out when I had quit the game
    fs3yf96f9ssq.png

as basically I feel it's just the turret that needs to be replaced not the whole kit

The Vyper is old enough for grad school but I feel it's fine

My brother has a original rhino and razorback. I think he also has a RT era landspeeder the hunk of metal one. They are honored relics as I see them rarely but I know he has them

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Avatar of Khaine technically got a new model, except its part of an AoS kit.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Avatar of Khaine technically got a new model, except its part of an AoS kit.

Same difference. I liked the forgeworld ones from an age ago but it was false hope they were going to redo the avatar

It really shows it's age next to ynnead

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I dpn't play Guard, but I think Leman Russ tank models are pretty great, I don't know what a new sculpt would do except maybe update how the guns join the sponsons or something.
    That's what they did with the Russ model update during 6th edition - it was all quality of life improvements, like the sponsons snapping into place so they could really be mounted or removed without glue, along with the sponson and hull mounted guns changed to a tab mounting that made them easily interchangeable as well. Same with improving the side hull and track builds, which used to involve a lot more parts.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    good god putting together track bits was awful.

you put on the track guards just so you didn't have to worry about that half (and also now you got a bunch of improvised applique armor)

• Options

you put on the track guards just so you didn't have to worry about that half (and also now you got a bunch of improvised applique armor)

I know nothing about the new leman russ I have a couple of the old ones I just remember the track was annoying but compared to model tank track it was less annoying
    Still I should go see what's in that box again when I just looked it up as it was the Steel Legion force I bought off someone way back in 2001 as he disagreed with the you must paint your army rule since he like me now had no idea how to paint them like the box with Gw's vague paint guides of the time

• Options
    essentially the old russ and chimera models had individual wheels you had to put in place.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Please remember that scale modellers will actually complain about not having individual track links to assemble (including link-pins in some extreme cases) and that this is the sort of reference material they were working from when the russ was first designed.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    My battlefoam arrived.

You never realize how space efficient laser cut foam is until you design trays and squeeze as much as you can onto them.

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind updated rhinos. Just a new mold. Fucking hell building one of those is just horrible.

A scale update wouldn't hurt either. Any remotely new infantry look like they'd be piling out of a clown car.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    You know, I wish Gabriel Angelos was 1) a better looking model and 2) not an over-costed piece of crap.

I would really like to have even a small motivation to want to include the Blood Ravens Chapter Master in my Blood Raven army. As it is, he costs almost as much as Calgar and is just so much worse. Just so much worse.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Latest rumour engine is an admech pistol. Even more mechanicus van the horizon? Maybe finally a skitarii HQ.

I wonder if the latest rumour engines might give a pointer to the first few 9th edition codices or if there are going to be a bunch of characters for several factions like AoS did last (or was it the one before?) year.

honovere on
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Latest rumour engine is an admech pistol. Even more mechanicus van the horizon? Maybe finally a skitarii HQ.

I wonder if the latest rumour engines might give a pointer to the first few 9th edition codices or if there are going to be a bunch of characters for several factions like AoS did last (or was it the one before?) year.

Or it could be Necromunda since the Orlock stuff is around the corner

• Options
    honovere wrote: »

Looks vanguard like to me.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's definitely some kind of radium gun.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see a new admech codex come out relatively soon. There’s so much missing from the old book, the tanks, the flying troops, the cavalry, the flyers, and the guy with the belly gun.

Plus Daedalus (the character from one of the black stone fortress expansion) seems to be a really useful choice that gets put in to most armies.

Maybe he’s getting a new release? Anyway if there’s a new army book why not release something new with it.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    There was that nurgle looking powerfist thingy recently, and with an admech gun when we’ve just had a bunch of new admech releases, i’m guessing it might be from a new Warhammer Quest set instead of 40k proper

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Please remember that scale modellers will actually complain about not having individual track links to assemble (including link-pins in some extreme cases) and that this is the sort of reference material they were working from when the russ was first designed.

Ha, yeah, I was going to comment that at least the old kits were at least a step up from scale models. When I scratch built my baneblade, I had to use scale model tracks on it, and cut them to make them double wide. My fingers were a solid crust of superglue for like a day after all that work.

• Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see a new admech codex come out relatively soon. There’s so much missing from the old book, the tanks, the flying troops, the cavalry, the flyers, and the guy with the belly gun.

Plus Daedalus (the character from one of the black stone fortress expansion) seems to be a really useful choice that gets put in to most armies.

Maybe he’s getting a new release? Anyway if there’s a new army book why not release something new with it.

I hope they release Daedalus as his own thing. He is actually in the PA book. I am not sure any other character from Blackstone Fortress has gotten that treatment.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The models from the BSF expansion set are all mixed together on a sprue. It would have been nice if GW made them all single character sprues, but doing it the way they did would mean they would need a new mold for a standalone version of the same model.

I'd be happy with more Warhammer Quest stuff, Silver Tower and Blackstone Fortress are a blast, and whenever we get a new boardgame we usually also get some cool new models to use in Warhammer proper as a side bonus.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Wouldn't surprise me too much if we see a new version of Warhammer Quest revealed this weekend, to be honest. I'm not sure what to expect apart from, presumably, the Necron Codex. Maybe future campaign books about the Warzones listed in the rulebook? Lelith? Who knows.

• Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    I'd love a crusade campaign book to come out before the end of the year. Something like the warcry campaigns and expansions, with interlude missions where you can go and fight some big bad for cool items.

• Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    Although the warham community team just put this out, so I guess a never ending conveyorbelt of space marines is what's for the foreseeable, with a light smattering of content for other factions.

• Options
    I bet that’ll be similar to the Sternguard in terms of being packed with cool extras to deck out the rest of your guys. Hope they come with more alternate weapon options too, gimme some power axes or somethin

• Options
    Totally will pick them up for my deathwatch. They will look awesome with that army.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Hope they’re good enough to warrent having 6 in my army!

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I bet that’ll be similar to the Sternguard in terms of being packed with cool extras to deck out the rest of your guys. Hope they come with more alternate weapon options too, gimme some power axes or somethin

Some way to get primaris melee weapons other than upgrade sprue would be amazing

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    I never realised the Leman Russ got redesigned. It wasn't as much of a change as the rhino of old. I thought it was still the Leman Russ frames that used to come with the Hunter Killer missiles and bulldozer blade accessory sprue. I could have sworn the Avatar got redone at some point, I guess I was just thinking of the forgeworld version. Oh yeah, the Exarches, but those are still good models.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Perdurabo wrote: »
    Although the warham community team just put this out, so I guess a never ending conveyorbelt of space marines is what's for the foreseeable, with a light smattering of content for other factions.

Oh man, the one on the right, with the shield on his back, has helmet-hair. As in his hair is shaved to the exact shape of the crest of a marine helmet.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.