As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Shadowlands: It's out!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    For class halls in legion
    The warrior one seemed crapped and open
    I really felt the warlock one was a let down as so much of it was empty
    Rogues were ok
    The priest one was fun to try to look out the windows
    The Paladin one was interesting yet like the warrior crapped
    The Demon hunter one as was pointed out was ok but I am still curious what other options they had
    The hunter one I felt was misplaced but the hunter quest chain felt half assed
    The Mage one was interesting but everyone hung out near the board so there was no reason to explore around

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Most of those things should just auto-pop into your quest log when you reach 120 on your alts.

For both Horde and Alliance, the quest to go to Naz'jatar and start that quest chain is called "Send the Fleet." The only pre-requisite for those is that you own the Heart of Azeroth.

So the very first thing you need to do, which you should have done at 110 as part of the start of the expansion, is get a quest to visit Magni in Silithus. Do that. Get your Heart of Azeroth. Then log out and log back in. That should prompt the game to pop up the quest that sends you to talk to Nathanos/Wyrmbane on your respective war effort boats. Talking to Nathanos or Wyrmbane will start the "Send the Fleet" mission, which takes you to Naz'jatar. (Note: You do have to be 120 for this quest).

Do the intro quest chain in Naz, up to the point where they send you BACK to Magni and Mother in the chamber of the heart to unlock Essences. Part of the quest chain for unlocking essences will force you to go to Highmountain in Legion and do a short scenario mission inside Neltharion's Lair. You're palling around with Ebonhorn for this mission, and it's pretty short. It ends with fighting a big rock dude who hands you a black dragon scale. Take that back to the Chamber of the Heart, and boom! now you have essences unlocked. And as a bonus, they also set your Heart of Azeroth neck level to 50 after you turn in the black dragonscale.

After that, log out again. When you log back in, the game should automatically pop another quest about Wrathion's return. I forget what it's called. I think the Alliance version is called "An Unwelcome Visitor" or something. Regardless of what it's called, it should be auto-popping for you when you log in after you have completed the stuff above. Following this quest chain will lead you down the path of Black Empire assaults and ultimately end in unlocking your cloak.

It's a long quest chain, and none of it is skippable if you have never done it at all. If you HAVE done it before, there are a total of 2 skips that shave a lot of time off the quest chain. The first skip allows you to talk to Magni and skip the scenario quest inside the Hall of Origination. That scenario is long, tedious, and did I mention long? Reminder: you do have to do it at least once on your main. Alts can skip it. The second skip is during the Ra'den part of the quest chain. There's a quest that sends you into the Mogu'shan Vaults, and you can talk to Ra'den to skip that scenario as well. That one is not as long or tedious as the Halls of Origination one, but it is still a nice time saver to be able to skip it.

Sadly, the third scenario is not skippable, and I'm not sure why not. There's a third scenario where you go into Blackwing Descent with Wrathion. And for whatever reason there's no skip. But once you complete this third scenario, you will have your magic cloak.

Anything else at all, Tides of Vengeance, Mechagon, the Dazar'alor stuff, all of that is optional, non-essential, and pretty irrelevant to the 8.30 worldstate. If you're interested in doing them, there should be breadcrumb trails at your boat. And Mechagon's intro branches out of Naz'jatar, but that one also requires that you first unlock essences, so do that. Unlocking essences is kind of the key to the entire expansion in 8.30. A lot of stuff hinges on you completing that quest chain.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The thing I hate about unlocking mechagon is you have to complete the quest to upgrade a benthic item to get to it. And I always want to use those free currency to get a number of benthic gear to help out a fresh alt. Mainly azerite because for some fuckup reason the alt gear you get in 8.3 is blue which results in 3 ring garbage azerite gear. Even at 410 the 375 benthic is better.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    On the class halls I visited, depends on taste. It was convenient to have everything close on the Paladin hall, instead of having to mount to get from the artifact weapon to the table and back. That being said, I liked the Shaman and Monk ones, that are on the larger side.

On the campaigns, "Priests suck so we have to save their asses" as the climax of the Paladin campaign was unintentionally hilarious. Shaman one was cool, Monk was a little eh, but decent.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just got my Kul'Tiran to 110 for the BFA content and there's a nice detail; when you talk to Jaina to go there your dialog option is, "Take me home."

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Let's be honest

if any class was going to struggle to handle its own PvE content without assistance, it was going to be the priests

• Options
    I wish shaman had a direct port to their class hall because holy shit that place rules.

• Options
    I'm once again engaging the neurotic anxiety of trying to decide what I'm playing (first) in SL. Priest, Paladin, or Druid?

Time to reason it out and get nowhere.

So, looks like I'll be doing heroic raiding and M+ without pushing super hard. So I don't have to be strict, as long as I'm not playing something that's outright bad for one or the other (I play exclusively with friends, but think it's messed up to make friends carry an awkward spec through group content).

Resto is set to completely dominate M+ even harder than previous expansions but not be great raiders, Holy I'm not sure people think it might suck but if it doesn't will be good to great in all content as usual, and Disc is apparently looking good and thus should also be highly competitive in both.

Druid and Paladin are always way, way better for moment to moment open world gameplay. Druid gets to stealth and interact while flying (well, once we have flying) and paladin can just wade to quest objectives then kill everything that aggros with zero fear. Priests...can die fighting single elites that are intended to be fought solo.

Paladin has infinite rad transmogs, druid can steal good transmogs from other leather classes, priest has like six transmogs worth using, and really I only actually use this mix of T5 and T6 (recolors?)(and the white/gold recolors mix).
    khcanbgn7mvo.png

You would think Priest is basically out of contention on those metrics, but for whatever reason I'm still equally torn. I still really love playing Holy and Disc in group content.

I always end up playing Paladin, so maybe I shouldn't? Or maybe I should just accept that there's a reason for that.

Druid, I'd love to finally get good at it but maybe it just won't ever click for me. I'm also not sure if resto is 'not great' in raiding or 'waste of a slot' in raiding, and I don't DPS because it's extremely stressful AND boring for me at the same time.

...Blizzard should staple a healing spec onto warlock or death knight, just for me.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    You're right that leveling as priest is a pain. I hate it. Priest is literally the lowest class for me on the fun scale for doing stuff. And I say that having mained priest in the current expansion. I was a priest main during Eternal Palance and the start of Ny'alotha. But I hated it. And having to solo Horrific Visions is what made me ultimately drop priest. It was a nightmare.

Following that trail of thought, I can offer this warning: You will very likely end up having to solo a lot of Torghast on a weekly basis, just like Visions in 8.30. So if you don't enjoy questing/soloing/world content on a priest, I think it's a bad pick. It's definitely a bad pick for me personally. I don't know if I will ever play a priest ever again. Which is too bad, because in raids and dungeons I enjoy being a priest. But it isn't worth the heartache for all of the rest of the content that you have to struggle through. I'd rather just play a class that can do it all.

Right now I'm a monk main in BfA. I can very comfortably shift in and out of WW and MW with ease.

I'd like to continue as a Monk main in SL. That's my hope. Right now, though, monk is looking really bad, at least from a healing perspective. Monks always have mana issues, and those issues are even worse than ever before in SL right now. On top of that, all the good stuff they had/have has been nerfed into the ground. The entire monk community is totally dishearted and demoralized right now by the state of the class in beta. It's kinda depressing. I can't go into the monk discord without getting instantly depressed about my class.

So I'm keeping Paladin in my back pocket as my backup plan.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I think they have a really tough time tuning mistweaver because of how smart all its heals are; they have continuously erred on the side of kinda undertuning its throughput and (imo at least) it's probably because if they ever went the other way MW would wind up being really oppressive in raids.

I like a lot of the class' mechanics but they've undertuned it so consistently that it's hard to get excited about

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    To be fair, Priest had a massive shot on the arm with respect to their viability on solo content with the Shadow revamp.

• Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    To be fair, Priest had a massive shot on the arm with respect to their viability on solo content with the Shadow revamp.

Is it a good solo spec, or just better? Because it could be significantly better and still feel like it exists to offer that Classic solo questing experience for the nostalgic players.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Kamar wrote: »

Is it a good solo spec, or just better? Because it could be significantly better and still feel like it exists to offer that Classic solo questing experience for the nostalgic players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWEl5V0eL8o

A little outdated since is last month, but it has the main changes. Dude seems very reccomended on the Priest Discord so going with that.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Honestly, leveling as Holy is viable. Yeah, you only get 3 damage spells, but you can stay alive through most situations.

As I do mostly open world/bg’s as Holy, leveling as Holy teaches you about the class and how to survive. Does it take 5 minutes to kill a mob, yes, but as you drag in 7 more mobs, you learn to use the tools effectively.

Am I going to try the new Shadow changes, yes. But will I eventually fall back to Holy, more than likely.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Invectivus wrote: »
    Honestly, leveling as Holy is viable.

[...]

Does it take 5 minutes to kill a mob, yes
    Hmmm...

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Viability of leveling is all about killing shit fast.

• Options
    There are, or at least used to be, level ranges where holy did like twice what the other specs could manage.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    Honestly, leveling as Holy is viable.

[...]

Does it take 5 minutes to kill a mob, yes
    Hmmm...

This is why I leveled 2 of my current 4 priests via timewalking [I could put up with the gung ho tanks and stupid dps instead of wasting 5+ minutes killing mobs}
    Though I am tempted to get my brother to level his undead warrior with my undead priest to see what it was like to do it that way

I do want to unlock the Maghar and zandalari but I thought in the post BFA patch since they removed the rep requirement I know the zandalari need certain achievements and the tides of war?
    But i heard you the tides only unlocks after certain rep with the zandalari

• Options
    Holy got a lot of good shit in the shared class section. I think a good number of shadow spells they can use now. A review I saw put them as the most interesting healer dps playstyle in the game by a wide margin.

That being said the revamp to shadow removes the horrible build up completely so they likely are more than fine leveling now.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I don't think "staying alive" is a criteria that really applies to consideration of levelling viability. I think it's generally the case these days that unless you are a completely new player to the game it's going to be essentially impossible to die while levelling, even on a squishier cloth wearer.

Priest seems to be the exception, which is my conspiracy theory for why holy priests always insist that their spec is great for levelling, because when they tried it as shadow they died a lot and holy doesn't; but missing the part where a mage, rogue, shaman, whatever, just blasts through levelling content without a care.

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    I agree that Holy is going to be better with the shared spells. The point I was making that as you are slower in killing things, it trains you in resource management and endurance in long fights.

While I agree that killing shit quickly makes the leveling go faster, I like the challenge of taking a spec and making it perform in ways that doesn’t make sense.

There a Youtuber that took Affliction Warlock and turned out some amazing world PVP videos where he dominates in 3v1 situations

• Options
    I know affliction is fun in multi fights
    In 1 v1 is boring I don't need the video to tell me that

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    just doing some transmog runs of antorus and i watched the ending cinematic since i hadn't seen it since antorus first released end of 2017

does anyone else think it is a little odd that a tiny-ass dragon popping out of a hole in the ground reshapes the entire world while a sword as long as the radius of the planet being shoved into it just makes a bit of a dent in silithus

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Maybe Deathwing hit a fault line.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    just doing some transmog runs of antorus and i watched the ending cinematic since i hadn't seen it since antorus first released end of 2017

does anyone else think it is a little odd that a tiny-ass dragon popping out of a hole in the ground reshapes the entire world while a sword as long as the radius of the planet being shoved into it just makes a bit of a dent in silithus

xovyksuw5xt3.png

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Doesn’t the movie Armageddon explain the difference in damage between an outward impact on the surface vs an internal explosion

Also a lot of the damage caused by Deathwing was from flying around the world instead of the initial explosion

• Options
    I mean if it's not magic, something that size hitting the surface at that speed should have instantly converted the surface of Azeroth to molten rock, right?

So, magic.

• Options
    Sure could have been interesting if they'd actually taken that plot point seriously for the next expansion.

Oops now I'm imagining what if most life on the surface of Azeroth had been wiped out, either from the impact or from magical whatever from it.

Make BFA instead an expansion focused on surviving outposts (depending on how catastrophic the destruction was, it might just be those that weren't on Azeroth at the time) and various efforts to restore the planet while the pissed-off void things try to make their play while its in critical condition and elementals going completely nuts. You can even keep the expansion title.

Then transition to Shadowlands as part of a scheme to restore the status quo to something less depressing.

• Options
    I agree that Holy is going to be better with the shared spells. The point I was making that as you are slower in killing things, it trains you in resource management and endurance in long fights.

While I agree that killing shit quickly makes the leveling go faster, I like the challenge of taking a spec and making it perform in ways that doesn’t make sense.

There a Youtuber that took Affliction Warlock and turned out some amazing world PVP videos where he dominates in 3v1 situations

That helmet is dope, what is it?

• Options

Cloth Broken Shore helm or one of the recolors. https://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=2523/broken-shore-cloth-recolor

• Options

Cloth Broken Shore helm or one of the recolors. https://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=2523/broken-shore-cloth-recolor

Neat. I only remember the plate set jester look looking ass, so had no idea.

• Options

I do want that set on the horde but it seems no one wants to do it on heroic as {it's not worth the time}

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Sure could have been interesting if they'd actually taken that plot point seriously for the next expansion.

Oops now I'm imagining what if most life on the surface of Azeroth had been wiped out, either from the impact or from magical whatever from it.

Make BFA instead an expansion focused on surviving outposts (depending on how catastrophic the destruction was, it might just be those that weren't on Azeroth at the time) and various efforts to restore the planet while the pissed-off void things try to make their play while its in critical condition and elementals going completely nuts. You can even keep the expansion title.

Then transition to Shadowlands as part of a scheme to restore the status quo to something less depressing.

That would've worked for an Emerald Dream expansion instead, since it is there that the 'blueprint' for Azeroth is kept.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I do want that set on the horde but it seems no one wants to do it on heroic as {it's not worth the time}

You should be able to solo anything in Legion at this point heroic or below.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    looking forward to prepatch when I can have a transmog again

0vbpms233qr1.png

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I briefly popped into a wow stream the other day and as I watched her solo through karazan as a robot gnome with a robot dog talking about all the mounts she was trying to farm, it dawned on me that shadowlands is going to be confusing as hell for me if I can't just ignore the last like 4+ years of stuff I have no idea about.

That's kinda stressful. Especially compared to me getting near to 40 on my first classic character and so much of that experience feels old and comfortable and "oh yeah heh I remember that was a thing"

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    looking forward to prepatch when I can have a transmog again

I had given up on corruption being a fun and interesting game mechanic so any corrupt gear I want to use gets sent to the cleaners immediately.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    I just looked up what Blacksmithing crafts in Shadowlands; aside from a couple of +Int weapons, it's all Strength based. No more agility weapons from Smithing.

Go fuck yourselves Blizzard, so, so goddamn much.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Trade skills were garbage in BFA I want to say they were shit in Legion too. Blizzard hasn't made them worthwhile in a while, anytime they seemingly offer you anything they go through like 3 expansions of being shit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I mean at this point they may as well give you a fixed pair of tradeskills based on the character you roll. Taking smithing as anything other than a plate class is actually harmful to your character now, same with taking tailoring if you aren't a cloth class, etc. And it'd be shitty if they did that, but honestly now tradeskills eventually become "craft Bind on Pickup" things and aren't really about the "trade" aspect.

This discussion has been closed.