As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Shadowlands: It's out!

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Hey if you want to get rid of corruption just get that fish bowl from Tortallan Emissaries and use those fish. Removes the corruption!

Wait, what do you mean RNG?

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Hey if you want to get rid of corruption just get that fish bowl from Tortallan Emissaries and use those fish. Removes the corruption!

What fish bowl?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well on the one server I have five characters at max level, which is enough for now. I was starting to make a push on my priest to get to 120 and then just kinda... shrugged and stopped for now.

So I'm back to doing legacy content on my shaman. I've had a bunch of raid quests from Legion filling up my quest log. To the point that my quest log was giving me errors about being too full when I came back about a month ago (it's not full of JUST Legion stuff, but that stuff wasn't helping). So I'm gonna start clearing them out.

• Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »

What fish bowl?

https://ptr.wowhead.com/item=166704/bowl-of-glowing-pufferfish

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Crafted weapons haven't been relevant since...Wrath, I want to say, and even then it was just for babby's first PvE set and you replaced it in the first tier? Blizzard has not been subtle about not wanting crafted weapons to be a thing. Crafted armor/rings/trinkets can be higher level. A couple weeks of emissaries/the Naz questline will get you better weapons than anything you can craft.

Weird thing to be so pissed off about at this point, it's been the norm forever.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Never been inside the Emerald Nightmare raid before, looks like I missed out.

Also I just killed Ursoc. And now I'm super sad forever.

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    The whole system needs an overhaul. It should just be item modifications or bonus utility things. And all of it needs to be usable by everyone. Engineers need to be able to sell their stuff if they want parity within the system. I also think it should be each profession provides a pool of things that the other overlap with. You can either enchant or kit armor. You can enchant or add gems to weapons. Then it's a choice between enchantment procs or static stats. You can thread your chest piece or add an armor kit. Each has a couple slots it does, but have at max like 5 things you need to upgrade, period. Like, weapon, cloak, helmet, chest, amulet. Donezo.

• Options
    Ideally they'd find a way to make old world materials relevant with a revamped tradeskill system. But that's a whole bag of "how" and it'd vary based on what ideas people have.

At minimum what they need to do for tradeskills is make the gear crafted scale as you level within a certain range (almost like heirlooms, minus the XP bonus). They're doing a level squish so I don't know how this would work now, but I previously floated the idea that vanilla crafted gear should scale from 1 to 60, so if you made a pair of gloves at level 30 they'd get stronger as you level up to 60. Then you craft stuff from TBC / WotLK and it'd scale from 61 to 80, and so on.

Even then though, the actual recipe system they have in place is fucking stupid and boring. FFXIV's crafting system fascinated the hell out of me. I doubt they'd do something like that for WoW. And I doubt they'll bring back tradeskills requiring materials provided by other skills you wouldn't have (like weapon crafting requiring skinned goods).

Tradeskills are a goddamn shitshow in WoW and have been for a long time. And they keep punting the ball down the field with weird bandaids that don't even address what the problem is. Oh boy, remember in MOP where you could mine any node you wanted and you'd get chips of materials until you actually hit the appropriate skill range?!

• Options
    I mean they almost did that and have an item you can add to old craftables to rise their ilvl to normal 8.3 raid ilvl at 50. Which has the cool effect of letting you use the first Rag hammer going into Shadowlands.

Why they don't let it be something you earn at 60 as well though, not sure.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I mean they almost did that and have an item you can add to old craftables to rise their ilvl to normal 8.3 raid ilvl at 50. Which has the cool effect of letting you use the first Rag hammer going into Shadowlands.

Why they don't let it be something you earn at 60 as well though, not sure.

I think they probably want to avoid having to spend too much time working out potential balance concerns with the system in case they forget about a specific old craftable that has some sort of unique power. By restricting it to the level process, they minimise its impact as although something with outside power might still exist it will only affect leveling which isn't really a big deal

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Random idea: Have crafting skills that make armor/weapons be able to Reforge the secondary stats on appropriate gear, or something. Make it so players can activate a vendor mode where people can use the services at their 'bench' for resources + a fee set by the player.

But then I realize Blizzard would just make it a 'cloth reforging kit' that you could sell on the auction house and all cool factor is dead.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    I briefly popped into a wow stream the other day and as I watched her solo through karazan as a robot gnome with a robot dog talking about all the mounts she was trying to farm, it dawned on me that shadowlands is going to be confusing as hell for me if I can't just ignore the last like 4+ years of stuff I have no idea about.

That's kinda stressful. Especially compared to me getting near to 40 on my first classic character and so much of that experience feels old and comfortable and "oh yeah heh I remember that was a thing"

Well, aside from the story, you really can just ignore 4 years of stuff. Jump in, and start playing. You don't need to catch up on professions or weapon skills or anything like that. You can work out the finer parts of your class (mostly for group content) later and at your leisure. Same goes for things like mounts.

• Options
    I mean mounts especially are just cosmetics. More like there is some mount you can stay in combat on that shoots fireballs from it's arse.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So the recent post on wowhead made me notice something i didn’t see mentioned yet. It looks like the ilvl gap betweeen raid difficulties was squeezed down slight to 13. Not to mention the lfr raid loot isn’t that much higher than what we can go into the expansion with if you geared up in bfa. Like they seem to have drastically cut back on ilvl increases.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    We're in the last 24 hours or so of the current level structure right?

Smoke 'em if you've got 'em folks, WoW 3 is upon us.

Edit - To get ahead of it since I'm leaving for work and won't be able to explain the now bolded part:
    WoW 1 = vanilla thru Cata
    WoW 2 = MOP thru BFA
    WoW 3 = Shadowlands onward

Henroid on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    So one of my guildmates just got his bee mount and I wanted to check out the model. So I did the shift-click thing and I guess I broke the model viewer.

m3m1iht91mco.png

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I'm also getting a little bored with these two (Champions and Turtlefolk) rep grinds but its one of my last remaining goals for this expansion besides cheesing my way through some LFR raids.

91pjrk8m7beg.png

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Edit - To get ahead of it since I'm leaving for work and won't be able to explain the now bolded part:
    WoW 2 = MOP thru BFA

I've not heard them say when the prepatch is. Is it going live tomorrow?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    If WoW 3 is so great, how come there isn't a WoW 4?

• Options
    Cirira wrote: »

WoW 2 = MOP thru BFA

That would be nice since tomorrow is one of my day's off. Assuming it works as intended from the get-go.

• Options
    Cirira wrote: »

WoW 2 = MOP thru BFA

Ffffff

I still have to grind out 30k of the doodads from visions for the 100k mount.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

WoW 2 = MOP thru BFA

Eh you could put cata on either side. It was the last talent tree exp but also the first major world update and it had all the wow 2 things - reforging, lfr, etc

Also what the shit Blizzard this was your chance to fix your economy too
    Apprentice Riding — Slow ground speed at level 10
    9 Silver 50 Copper
    Journeyman Riding — Fast ground speed at level 20
    47 Gold 50 Silver
    Expert Riding — Normal flying speed at level 30
    237 Gold 50 Silver
    Artisan Riding — Fastest flying speed at level 40
    4750 Gold

Why is there a 10000x cost increase over just 30 levels?

Phyphor on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Given that they haven't announced the end of the pvp season yet, it would be beyond unusual if prepatch hit tomorrow. Most likely tomorrow we get the announcement that prepatch is the 29th.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    ok, why are some of the flying models centered so terribly? I noticed on like the vulture and the one you get for collecting 150 or whatever number that the camera sits really high?

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

WoW 2 = MOP thru BFA

Eh you could put cata on either side. It was the last talent tree exp but also the first major world update and it had all the wow 2 things - reforging, lfr, etc

9 Silver 50 Copper
    47 Gold 50 Silver
    237 Gold 50 Silver
    4750 Gold

Because earning gold once you're level 90+ is very easy.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    there has been severe mudflation in WoW's gold economy over the years is why

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    it's insignificant for an existing player, it's tremendous for a new player. if the impact is negligible on the existing player, why have it punish the new player then?

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    You can clear two legacy raids for Artisan riding in like an hour.

edit: My main complaint about the WoW economy is that token prices are fixed across all servers, so playing on low pop servers makes it way harder to buy tokens.

Which seems kind of off?

Kamar on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    While true, the Artisan Riding price has been 5k since TBC.

• Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    it's insignificant for an existing player, it's tremendous for a new player. if the impact is negligible on the existing player, why have it punish the new player then?

It's to stop new players from zooming around at lightspeed while they level instead of seeing the world.

• Options
    Currently stuck in an inescapable bugged Tectus.

He's just a lump of sandy ground and won't do anything but attack me and spawn adds forever.

I alt-F4'd and relaunched the game. Logged back into the character. Still in the fight with him underground and adds spawning.

• Options
    You can use the unstuck command. Should kill you and send to graveyard right?

• Options
    Waiting a while before I logged back in fixed it.

Or rather, I logged back in after a while and was dead, somehow. Maybe he just build up so many stacks of accretion he could actually hurt me?

• Options
    The Nazjatar PvP event was a mistake.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    While true, the Artisan Riding price has been 5k since TBC.

In a world where basic riding cost 100g

My point is that this is a perfect opportunity to fix that! Just delete a bunch of zeroes and rescale costs so the numbers have a sane curve

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

WoW 2 = MOP thru BFA

9 Silver 50 Copper
    47 Gold 50 Silver
    237 Gold 50 Silver
    4750 Gold

Wait so I just flushed some 15 - 20k gold away on a few alts getting the 310% flying speed training? Fuck my life.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    You can't take gold from players without them getting mad, so is not as easily as stat scaling. Blizz's solution against mudflation has been expensive and now time exclusive mounts like Longboy and trying to put the money making back into professions by cutting the amount of free money that you get from the mission table.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    They also made profession recipes ridiculously expensive. Like a bunch of rank 2 or rank 3 BfA recipes cost 1900 gold each.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm betting no pre-patch tomorrow, and itll be on the 22nd instead

• Options
    The only time Blizzard ended an arena season without a two-week warning, it was apparently a bug, so 29th seems extremely likely.

This discussion has been closed.