As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guild Wars

• Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I prefer using Distracting Shot on their lead attack.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hit rank 6 lightbringer last night, grind grind!

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    StealthcStealthc Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I always laugh when I put Expose Defenses on a Mo/W only for them to hit Frenzied Defense as a reflex against spikes.

Stealthc on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    gyala hatchery is really something.

not fun, or reasonable, but its something alright.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    mrgilmoreanmrgilmorean Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am also struck quite speechless when it comes to that mission.

I knew I should have stuck with Kurzick for all my characters. Tthat said, the Luxon Monk and Ele armor is pretty nice.

mrgilmorean on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zoolander on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I will be on tomorrow.... Let's get something going.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Saban wrote: »
    gyala hatchery is really something.

not fun, or reasonable, but its something alright.

Heh, tell me about it. I played my legendairy survivor ritualist (at the time indomitable survivor) through that mission with henches, because real players were to much of a liability.

It took quite a while, playing much like one does surgery (or so I'd imagine). But I did it in the end, quite a load off.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    AnehiiAnehii Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hey ive been playing a lot lately, have a lvl 20 warrior named Duilios Amo, if anybody wants to chill or do anything just add me. Finishing up the Nightfall campaign on this char, and then working on proph and factions so im up for running any missions really :)

Anehii on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    we would be great buddies, names Saban the Marksman. working on the southern shiverpeak missions now after finishing up nightfall.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hey I was wondering who all will be at PAX? I am going to reserver a spot in the LAN room and would be interested in something guildwars related. HoH or GvG would be cool.

atray on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    atray wrote: »
    Hey I was wondering who all will be at PAX? I am going to reserver a spot in the LAN room and would be interested in something guildwars related. HoH or GvG would be cool.
    You should ask here, I think a couple people there might be going.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thunderhead Keep = stupid king gets soloed.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    THK is easy
    Just stay with the king

Zoolander on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    THK is much, much easier with henchmen or heroes. That way you don't have your melee fighters rushing down the stairs and the monks following them. The mission is a huge test of teamwork, and PUGs hardly ever pass.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't know what you guys are smoking, but Thunderhead Keep can be very frustrating, especially since the king's armor apparently isn't imbued, and will die from like 2 spectral agonies. I've had this happen to me like twice, before a friend and I finally beat it together.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Spore CloudSpore Cloud Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Installing Guild Wars, I played during the beta and I also played a little of Nightfall with a trial key. Any tips before I dive in?

Spore Cloud on
    Spore+Cloud.png
  • Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ah, just discovered this thread, I've been playing GW for a while now - ign - Arturis Penndragon, i'm an officer in a guild but there is rarely anyone online 2-3 people at most including and thats including me and an RL friend. Maybe i'll switch up.

Currently i've finished Prophecies, and am working my way through Nightfall. Also while i'm at it i'm working on my "Kind of a Big Deal" title. Captured elites so far between Core, Prophecies, and Nightfall so i have all warrior elites, 3/4 of the monk elites, and 1/2 the necro elites.

bebarce on
  • Options
    DeadshotDeadshot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The only thing I do in Guild Wars is troll RPers and go BITCH I HAVE A GOLD CAPE and then tiger people

guild wars is pretty boring

Deadshot on
    o ok
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    AARGGHG talking about capturing elites..... someone pleaaase help me capturing Vow of Strength in Nightfall. That bitch captain Medhi is always in company of some other captain and he rapes me hard :(.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ow, oh I caught that with a Prophecies character, I just farmed that one mission for non-elonan characters where you fight off the invasion. I captured every damn elite on that mission.

I like this new patch, autotargeting is a big boost.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Deadshot wrote: »
    The only thing I do in Guild Wars is troll RPers and go BITCH I HAVE A GOLD CAPE and then tiger people

Who are you in game? I haven't played in ages but I'm curious.

Also, the hilarious thread with Gaile freaking out at complainers, then David completely destroying her case repeatedly, resulting in Andrew Patrick's giant post, was pure hilarity. The single lowest point in A.net's PR history.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    DeadshotDeadshot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think the lowest point in PR history is the fact that they Gaile goes in game to boost her ego, selectively responding to either intentionally retarded questions or just stupid over-answered ones.

Deadshot on
    o ok
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Deadshot wrote: »

Who are you in game? I haven't played in ages but I'm curious.

Also, the hilarious thread with Gaile freaking out at complainers, then David completely destroying her case repeatedly, resulting in Andrew Patrick's giant post, was pure hilarity. The single lowest point in A.net's PR history.

Can you link this please? I like laffs.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Gaile's initial rant:

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4935272#post4935272

Basically read the last 5 pages for her and David Holtman's responses. Supposedly a bunch of his other posts got deleted too.

then her son Andrew Patrick puts up this:
    http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454808

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gaile's initial rant:

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4935272#post4935272

Basically read the last 5 pages for her and David Holtman's responses. Supposedly a bunch of his other posts got deleted too.

then her son Andrew Patrick puts up this:
    http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454808

This goes a long ways towards showing the community just how much of a bitch Gaile really is. Some of us still remember all of the people banned for talking shit to her "frog" character and the guy she banned for going AFK in a part of an outpost she wanted to screenshot. Also, it's about time someone called her out for going back on her word, and it's even better that David did it. I just wonder how long GWO is going to keep him on, knowing how much they kiss Gaile's ass.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't know, I met Gaile and she seemed pretty nice.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think I've been wallowing in CCP drama for too long since I thought that Gaile thing wasn't at all a big deal.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You couldn't pay me enough to do Gaile's job. Sounds like the folks on those forums got a little full of themselves and Gaile got sick of it. That David Holtzman guy's posts aren't very helpful, they're mainly "hey we're awesome and you're wrong."

When she says that Anet takes community feedback into account more than other companies, she's not lying, in my experience. They have a very interesting setup with no official forums, and instead go out to several different forums for feedback. That plus the frequent updates that are based at least in part on player suggestions and community-desired PVE/PVP changes.

But MMO players love to hear themselves talk, and always think they're right, so... Gaile gets the short end of the stick no matter what.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    ZipsZips Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yep, only took me about half of a month to realize the old forums were completely dead. I'm that damn active.

Zips on
    SZips.gif
    Community Manager at MyIS
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I am not sure exactly who the Izzy guy that David Holtzman is referring to. Is he on the skill balance team? Anyway, it sounds like Holtzman believes that everything Gaile reports to the development team must end up in Izzy's ear somehow. I don't know enough about the internal structure of ANet to say for certain if this is true but it sounds like a player ascribing himself a lot of power because he knows a few people on the dev team. I am not saying Gaile is perfect but Mr Holtzman does come across as a smug, self-satisfied person.

I am impressed by ANet's continued dedication to the game. Whether or not I agree with their changes, it is great that they have frequent weekend events and updates every week at least.

Slightly off-topic, but I am annoyed by Andrew's reference to 3.5 million players. I know they've sold about that many copies (all campaigns put together) but the actual number of players is certainly much lower due to overlap. Anyway, small pet peeve. Gaming magazines also use the sales to equal number of players. It's a bit like saying I am actually eight players because I have eight characters...

I haven't had too much chance to play around with the new patch yet. Anyone got strong opinions on it either way? I dislike that I have to have used/turned over 100k faction (at least) before I can get any of the Kurzick/Luxon skills.

mrgilmorean on
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Drama like this is why I don't go to those forums. I use Guru for price checks and that's about it. I guess it's like that second link says, I'm too busy playing the game to post on the Internet.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh, right. Quick breakdown: Izzy=Isaiah Cartwright, the skill balancer. In the past he had help, I think, from one or two other guys, but I have no idea if that's still the case. Basically, Izzy's in charge of designing all the new skills and balancing them against each other. At no time has A.net ever actually taken into consideration the public forums-they read through them real fast to get a general feel for what the community wants, but they completely ignore actual posts on there about skillbalancing. The people in the alpha, which was the official forums A.net ran with a test server for the upcoming chapters, knew this. The alpha test is still running, but A.net restricted it to PvErs and I think 4 people that play PvP (people listed out who got invites to find this). A.net doesn't listen to critical feedback very often-the only real way to get something changed is to exploit it hard, and repeatedly, until it gets nerfed. FoC spike, smiting, thumpers, and SB/RI are perfect examples of this.

David Holtzmann is a guy who was in OUT when I (Trevor Reznik) knew him, I have no idea what he's up to now. To make a long story short, I got him into the alpha with a referral at the same time Morty (both of us were in Rifts) referred in another notorious poster named Dimlight, basically because we knew they both loved to make giant huge arguments on forums. David's a really smart guy though, and presents his case better than anyone (including Ensign (iQ) who gets upset pretty fast at stupid decisions).

So with that in mind, since the destruction of the PvP portion of the alpha test last year, the dev feedback turned solely into people talking directly with Izzy on MSN, IRC, & ingame. IRC feedback ended when I (this actually wasn't intentional) fucked something up and got Izzy/Lulu/Morello (the other devs) prohibited from joining it.

So in that thread, David is calling out Gaile for lying, because when he MSNs Izzy, Izzy doesn't have knowledge of things Gaile said were reported to him. It's not smugness, it's frustration with the ridiculous barriers A.net puts in. Instead of letting Izzy post on forums, Gaile/Andrew have to come do it instead. The few times Izzy's been able to talk in the open have done more good for the PR of the A.net than anything Gaile has done. PvPers absolutely hate her for being willfully ignorant of PvP and claiming to represent them, and they hate Andrew Patrick just as much for various reasons that go back to things that happened in the alpha test.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. That's quite a lot of drama. I find it weird that only 1-3 people are responsible for skill balancing though. With the number of skills they have, I would have guessed at a much bigger team.

I guess that's what not paying attention during the credits gets me.

mrgilmorean on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, it's pretty indicative of A.net's focus. Someone (I think in MH?) wrote a great quote once about watching the 'making of' DVDs and seeing the office tour. The camera would go into a room and go 'ok these guys here are artists' next room 'artists' next room 'artists' next room 'model design' etc etc then show Izzy and go 'oh here's our skill balancer.'

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I like that dvd a lot.

The artists looked like first class citizen while the QA team were testing on Windows 98 machines that came pirated from singapore, and stuck inside a small, dark, sweaty room.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I haven't had too much chance to play around with the new patch yet. Anyone got strong opinions on it either way? I dislike that I have to have used/turned over 100k faction (at least) before I can get any of the Kurzick/Luxon skills.

Yeah, if it went by how much you've earned overall I'd have over 200k towards a title, but all of it went towards Amber in the past...

I'm glad they're doing the whole "Give 5k to the Alliance, get 10k towards the title" thing, that's helping out a lot.

The Dervish Sunspear skill feels kinda broken... I mean, you can keep an Avatar up permanently. I haven't had a chance to check out any of the other ones except the Ranger one, and at 25 energy it's a bit expensive, though I've almost always got a pet with me, so it's good for that.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Wow just one guy? That is ALOT of work for one guy. Actually, it's impossible to do for just one guy.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    gneGne wrote: »
    Wow just one guy? That is ALOT of work for one guy. Actually, it's impossible to do for just one guy.

Why do you think balance is so bad? Also, he gets told the general theme of new skills to put in, regardless of if they're a good idea, and then balances them from there. That's why we got Ritualists, the guys in charge decided on having spirits, it wasn't Izzy's idea AFAIK.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    well, I don't know.. is the PvP that bad? PvP really requires good balance.. I played it a few times, and those ritualist spirit things are a bitch indeed.
    PvE is still pretty fun though.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg