As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    It's hard to explain just how expendable Souls are in Dark Souls. You get them so quickly from everything you kill, and the world is just saturated with collectible items that give you yet more souls. It's like if in Zelda you lost all of your rupees with each death but the next monster you killed dropped maybe 1/4th the amount of rupees you lost, and then you find a stash of rupees in a pot that far exceeded the amount you lost. And you still have an opportunity to run to where you died and pick up your lost rupees.

Also, each time you rest at a bonfire all enemies respawn so you definitely could grind out souls, but again, there's absolutely no need.

Cruor on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    This is all assuming you don't just get killed again because the next thing you have to do is difficult to get to or difficult to do. It's hard to accrue souls or whatever when you just keep dying. But the main issue is patience.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Even then! Just getting through the difficult area will generally get you more souls than you lost. And yeah, it's all about patience. If learning to let go of souls is the hardest lesson to learn, the patience required is the second hardest, especially when some bosses can take literal hours of attempts to beat.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I honestly think you should absolutely play super paper Mario regardless of the paper Mario being a definition thing. For me in some ways it’s better than TTYD.

I didn’t realize dream team wasn’t regarded well. I had just finished the original m&l and thought it would be an ok follow up. I just couldn’t get into it. None of the stuff I was doing had any charm. I also felt like kind of uncomfortable touching Luigi so much? I know that’s weird but it just wasn’t a good game hook for me.

Play Bowser's Inside Story if you're looking for a M&L fix

Any particular version? I never played the remake.
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Color Splash is pretty garbage. Other than the combat which is best approached by avoiding every encounter you can I did not find any of the charm and humor that I've heard other people talk about.

I felt like there was a mandate to have every character try to say as many paper puns or jokes as possible. I get that Nintendo has decided that the Paper part is the most important part of Paper Mario, but damn I do not need the entire game's dialog and humor to revolve around that fact. It gets old after a while.

Also damn near every npc you interact with being a toad is just really boring. No interesting characters like in previous Paper Marios. Just an avalanche of generic looking toads with maybe a swapped color palette.

It's still way better than Sticker Star though. I can't think of a single positive for that game.

Graphics were nice?
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Thinking of playing the Paper Mario titles I missed before getting into the next one.

..should I just skip Sticker Star and go straight to Color Splash? Haven't heard a lot of good things about SS.

Paper Jam worth playing? Know that one is probably more of a M&L title.

Sounds like you've already played some Paper Mario. Were it not for that and you were intent on playing all of them, this would be my recommended order:

Sticker Star
    Color Splash
    Origami King (probably, just guessing)
    Paper Mario
    The Thousand Year Door

Super Paper Mario is kind of its own beast, and you could slot it in most anywhere. I'm inclined to put it last, but since some people don't like it as much, it could potentially go before TTYD or PM.

Mind, this list is based on an upward trajectory of quality (IMHO), not story, as most are pretty loosely connected at best, with PM and TTYD having the strongest ties, if I'm not mistaken.
    I've played everything but Sticker Star and Color Splash.

Super Paper Mario was fantastic but suffers from being mind numbingly easy to the point where I could try to force myself to lose against bosses and still win somehow.

Thousand Year Door is the gold standard. Seeing how badly Sticker Star and Color Splash diverge from it is one of the main reasons I haven't tried them before now even though I love the series and its writing/humor.

Sticker Star might have been viewed more positively if there had been no other Mario RPGs before it, and it was a first attempt at joining the two.

But it wasn't.

That's why I listed it first for anyone who's never played a Paper Mario (or ideally any Mario RPG before), but is adamant about doing so, with the promise that it only gets better from there.
    If Color Splash were its own standalone game and the other Paper Marios hadn't come before it, I think it would rate positively at least, though not highly. The combat is poor, but the humor, writing, gags, are all still good. It still has good character writing even though it's wasted on all the toads you can't tell apart.

If Color Splash were tweaked and was like, Splatoon Adventure or something, it would probably have worked a little better.
    jothki wrote: »
    Sticker Star and Color Splash felt like they were both crippled by a bunch of arbitrary design limitations placed on them that took away everything people liked about the earlier games while offering no benefit in return. The difference is, Color Splash was made after the designers had a chance to realize how much people hated Sticker Star. Even if they still couldn't change the factors that were going to force Color Splash to be much worse than it had to be, they did their best to make the parts that they were actually allowed to touch better.

My way of looking at it is if PM was a 100*, and Sticker Star was like a 5, then Color Splash is like a 40-50. Origami King about 5-10 on top of that.

Color Splash felt like a leap in the right direction from SS back to where we want it to be, but OK so far feels like they don't want to make another leap quite that big. Just gradually inching their way towards that 100 without touching or going over.

* That's not meant to be a score, just some sort of hopefully easy-to-envision sense of progression towards an ideal. (TTYD is over 100, in case you were wondering.)

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Hi! I just got a Switch! It looks like there’s a bunch of games on sale in the eShop?! Any standouts? I like Metroid and action/adventure/RPG

I think the first game I’m buying is Trials of Mana because holy shit Seiken Densetsu 3?!?

Buy Katana Zero and Black Future '88

You're welcome.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Hi! I just got a Switch! It looks like there’s a bunch of games on sale in the eShop?! Any standouts? I like Metroid and action/adventure/RPG

I think the first game I’m buying is Trials of Mana because holy shit Seiken Densetsu 3?!?

You're welcome.

I’ll have to check those out!

There’s some massive discounts on the eShop, so I bought Elliot Quest (looks like a fun retro adventure platformer, and it was $0.09, how could I not???), Pan-Pan (puzzlely adventure? had good reviews), and Cosmic Star Heroine (SNES-looking JRPG, and was like $1.50?)

And of course Trials of Mana (full price obvs), which is all I’ve played so far. It’s so good! Love seeing everything with the new graphics, it’s colorful and clean. The music is great plus you can switch to the original BGM. The combat is a lot of fun and satisfying.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Elliot Quest for .09 is a shockingly good value. I'm not far into it, but so far I've been impressed, it seems to be a pretty good sized game and I really like the music.

Now if they would just allow Duke 3D to release a day early...

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

You're welcome.

I’ll have to check those out!

There’s some massive discounts on the eShop, so I bought Elliot Quest (looks like a fun retro adventure platformer, and it was $0.09, how could I not???), Pan-Pan (puzzlely adventure? had good reviews), and Cosmic Star Heroine (SNES-looking JRPG, and was like $1.50?)

And of course Trials of Mana (full price obvs), which is all I’ve played so far. It’s so good! Love seeing everything with the new graphics, it’s colorful and clean. The music is great plus you can switch to the original BGM. The combat is a lot of fun and satisfying.

Cosmic Star Heroine is a Zeboyd game, and thus both connected to this forum, and beloved on its own merits. Zeboyd stuff is waxed lyrical about in the Steam thread in particular.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I’m looking forward to it! I’m aware of Zeboyd and Cthulhu and Breath of Death, but I somehow missed this! I pretty much only played Xbox until now though, and it looks like it never released there for some reason.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Wait.

WAIT.

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

there is a new pokemon snap comming and NO ONE @ me!?

WHY YOU FIENDS WHY!? i literally started bouncing in my chair when i found out.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Personally I'd be so down for a Pokemon Snap more in the style of Afrika.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I think my kids would love snap. Looking forward to it just for that.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Pokemon Snap isn't that interesting of a game to me in 2020, seems like it would make for a good mobile game or something but it just feels very much a product of its time. Amusing for the time, not something I would pay 60 bucks for now.

But I know people love it so glad it finally got a new entry. I loved it too back in the day, I would eat up anything 3D pokemon for sure.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I mean, i hope they do more to build on it.

But reasons i'm excited:

One, the original one had a lot of cool surprise interactions - with bigger hardware behind it, there's more room for that
    Two: Rail shooter these are a rarity in this day and age.
    Three: A game that's not about fighting. I love plenty of violence myself, but having games that's NOT "and here's how we punch things" (...well, other than well aimed peseter balls) is genuinely exciting.
    Four: It looks fucking gorgeous going by that ingame footage so far.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    I mean, i hope they do more to build on it.

But reasons i'm excited:

One, the original one had a lot of cool surprise interactions - with bigger hardware behind it, there's more room for that
    Two: Rail shooter these are a rarity in this day and age.
    Three: A game that's not about fighting. I love plenty of violence myself, but having games that's NOT "and here's how we punch things" (...well, other than well aimed peseter balls) is genuinely exciting.
    Four: It looks fucking gorgeous going by that ingame footage so far.

Five: Pokemon Snap is the best relaxion game ever. I'm definitely not going to take the same photo 50 times then carefully analyze every pixel before I choose just the right one to submit.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I would pay full price if it was significantly more substantial than the original.

When you think about it, it's sort of in the vein of Endless Ocean...chill out and observe wildlife and prod it and feed it and catalogue it.

So I would like an Endless Ocean style mode (could literally be in the ocean, there are enough water pokemon) where it's an open world you explore and there are pokemon all over doing random things, but they're also less scripted there. And there's gear you can wear and unlock.
    As you catalogue them in the "wild area," you earn points toward unlocking safari tours, which are the on-rails segments that are completely scripted with more fun and specific pokemon actions.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I would pay full price if it was significantly more substantial than the original.

When you think about it, it's sort of in the vein of Endless Ocean...chill out and observe wildlife and prod it and feed it and catalogue it.

So I would like an Endless Ocean style mode (could literally be in the ocean, there are enough water pokemon) where it's an open world you explore and there are pokemon all over doing random things, but they're also less scripted there. And there's gear you can wear and unlock.
    As you catalogue them in the "wild area," you earn points toward unlocking safari tours, which are the on-rails segments that are completely scripted with more fun and specific pokemon actions.

...fuck now if there's not an underwater course in New Snap with colorful coral reefs and Gyarados and schools of Goldeen and shit, I'm gonna be disappointed.

Another thing I hope they bring back is the hidden scenery photos, like the shadow silhouette on the wall, that stuff.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Pokemon Snap definitely sounds like something I might get for the kids. Being on-rails, they don't have to control anything but the camera, throw out some items, and take pictures. And it's Pokemon, so the daughter will certainly dig it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wait.

WAIT.

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

there is a new pokemon snap comming and NO ONE @ me!?

WHY YOU FIENDS WHY!? i literally started bouncing in my chair when i found out.

4616ol.jpg

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Which raises the question, is there going to be a Slowpoke that will evolve into a Slowbro unless you figure out how to flip it over backwards head-first into the water?

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7XK9JE21u8

Yeah, I'm probably getting this.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Will I have to play through the first game to enjoy the second - is it a true sequel?

Also, Duke 3D unlocked and it's pretty great. I played through the first two levels and it runs well, looks fine, and is just as much stupid fun as I had hoped. The rewind feature after death is also wonderful.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Will I have to play through the first game to enjoy the second - is it a true sequel?

Good question! I'm thinking... probably not. Same main character, sure, but it's a different town and it looks to be a different case for FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Hey, look at all these games I own on the Switch that I haven't finished. I'll just play one of these ... wait, why am I playing Fire Emblem again ... well, I haven't married Felix yet, may as well just see where this goes.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Looks like Star Wars Episode 1 Racer is out. Anybody get it? I've been hearing mixed messages about the quality.

Late edit: looks like GameXplain put up a video and it looks... okay I guess? Might wait for a sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEF8Bjd2xuk

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    How is Outer Worlds on Switch

It's like their version of optimization was to set all the detail sliders to low, make it blurry and pixelated, and then add another slider to knock the details down even more. And real long load times.

It is not really a pretty game to look at. But I didn't see a lot of the other issues (character/enemy pop-in, terrible frame rates) that some other people seem to have had. I'm not going to recommend you to get it, but there's worse ways I've spent $60.
    Hmm okay. I couldn't tell if gamers were being dramatic or if there was a real problem with the quality. Thanks!

DRAMATIC?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Looks like Star Wars Episode 1 Racer is out. Anybody get it? I've been hearing mixed messages about the quality.

Late edit: looks like GameXplain put up a video and it looks... okay I guess? Might wait for a sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEF8Bjd2xuk

I got it and enjoy it. I played the hell out of this back in the day on my Dreamcast and this looks to be a port of that, if not the PC version, since the videos are in the game and it doesn’t look as bad as the N64 version did. Doesn’t see, like they did much besides make it widescreen and up the resolution. Still has some horrible textures, but it’s just as fun as it was back then and $15 for this game isn’t bad. Could be my nostalgia talking though.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Look I'm extremely late to the party on Legend of Zeldor but watch me pull this boss fight directly out of my butt

Wait what you can break his shield? How am I still learning new things about this game?

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Wait what you can break his shield? How am I still learning new things about this game?

Because you suck.

No no, I'm kidding, I'm still constantly surprised by the crazy shit being pulled off in this game.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark is on massive sale (-66%) on eShop. I have heard it scratches the Final Fantasy Tactics itch, so I picked it up and will be trying it out.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Once you look past the art style (which is fine!), it is, in fact, exactly what you want from a FFT game. I'm a big fan.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh, if you're curious, this week's Pokemon announcement was Pokemon Unite, a MOBA like League of Legends. It's on Switch, iOS and Android, and has cross-play between them.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »

Because you suck.

No no, I'm kidding, I'm still constantly surprised by the crazy shit being pulled off in this game.

People may love/hate the weapon durability and some of the other design choices, but the game engine is an absolute masterpiece.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Raybies666 wrote: »

Because you suck.

People may love/hate the weapon durability and some of the other design choices, but the game engine is an absolute masterpiece.

This is why I am soooo excited to see what they do with the next iteration now that they have the groundwork done so well.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark is on massive sale (-66%) on eShop. I have heard it scratches the Final Fantasy Tactics itch, so I picked it up and will be trying it out.

Any idea how long the sale is running for?

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Oh, if you're curious, this week's Pokemon announcement was Pokemon Unite, a MOBA like League of Legends. It's on Switch, iOS and Android, and has cross-play between them.

For years I've been thinking that a console MOBA is a great idea. You only need a few buttons for abilities and control sticks would work just fine for movement. It's an even better idea on the switch with it's touchscreen.

Given that it's pokemon Nintendo may have a biiig winner on their hands. I don't think it's going to touch the popularity of LoL or DOTA, but I think there is market space for a MOBA on a portable console.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Pokémon Dota? Shit they have my attention

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgWeEGBbJDQ&feature=youtu.be

at the time of posting, 47,000 dislikes vs. 15,000 likes
    lol

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Gamers gonna gamer.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    People always get themselves set up for this, they hype themselves on stuff that is unconfirmed and then get mad when it isn't exactly what they wanted. Most people expected a Let's Go 2 (gen 2 remake) which tbh sounds awful even as someone who loves Gen 2 the most, or just another by-the-numbers remake of the Diamond Pearl Gen in the SwSh engine (which probably still gonna happen but not any time soon)