Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I maintain that Paper Jam is better than Dream Team

Faint praise though that be

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I wouldn’t recommend playing anything Paper Mario related after TTYD. The Wii game wasn’t bad but it also wasn’t really an RPG. The rest are trash.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I wouldn’t recommend playing anything Paper Mario related after TTYD. The Wii game wasn’t bad but it also wasn’t really an RPG. The rest are trash.

Color Splash is fantastic. Trash is a bit harsh and way too hyperbolic.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'll put my hand up as someone who eventually played Colo(u)r Splash, despite everyone shitting on it and have to say it's actually very good. It has some mild annoyances but the good far outwieghs the bad.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    Both Sticker Star and Color Splash seemed pretty bad.

Paper Jam at least looks like it has more in common with the earlier Paper Mario games and the Mario and Luigi tie in helps.

You've got it backwards. Paper Jam is a M&L game with a Paper Mario tie-in. It's fairly good, not great. Better than Dream Team, but falls pretty well short of Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story.

Oh, right! Its been awhile since I saw the trailer and other videos for it.

Luckily we'll know how good The Origami King is soon enough. They're releasing it on my B-Day so it had better be good goddamn it!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Hi! I just got a Switch! It looks like there’s a bunch of games on sale in the eShop?! Any standouts? I like Metroid and action/adventure/RPG

I think the first game I’m buying is Trials of Mana because holy shit Seiken Densetsu 3?!?

Shantae and the Seven Sirens is a good Metroid style game that just came out. I haven’t played them myself, but people speak highly of Ori and the Blind Forest and Hollow Knight as well.
    Hollow Knight is the real deal. It's the best indie take on the Metroid genre by, like, way a lot. Making the pure sense of exploration feel satisfying was clearly their top focus, which is almost never the case in these things. The boss fights also being good is just a bonus at that point.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Hi! I just got a Switch! It looks like there’s a bunch of games on sale in the eShop?! Any standouts? I like Metroid and action/adventure/RPG

I think the first game I’m buying is Trials of Mana because holy shit Seiken Densetsu 3?!?

Shantae and the Seven Sirens is a good Metroid style game that just came out. I haven’t played them myself, but people speak highly of Ori and the Blind Forest and Hollow Knight as well.
    Hollow Knight is the real deal. It's the best indie take on the Metroid genre by, like, way a lot. Making the pure sense of exploration feel satisfying was clearly their top focus, which is almost never the case in these things. The boss fights also being good is just a bonus at that point.

Yeah I’ve heard it’s good but I’m rather turned off by the talk of the difficulty and the Dark Souls comparisons. Probably not a game for me.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Jeez, people sure do love letting perfect be the enemy of good.

Colour Splash is a good game, great even in my opinion! Yes TTYD was better but Colour Splash still has that Paper Mario charm in spades.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Burnout may be expensive for what it is, but it's fun, smooth at 60FPS, and I'm having fun with it. Seems like all the new ports are really good, with the exception of Outer Wilds. /s.

I am tempted to pick up Burnout because I loved and played the shit out of it on Xbox 360, but I'm also kinda put off paying full retail again for a port of a game that age. Just all feels a bit cynical.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Thinking of playing the Paper Mario titles I missed before getting into the next one.

..should I just skip Sticker Star and go straight to Color Splash? Haven't heard a lot of good things about SS.

Paper Jam worth playing? Know that one is probably more of a M&L title.

Sounds like you've already played some Paper Mario. Were it not for that and you were intent on playing all of them, this would be my recommended order:

Sticker Star
    Color Splash
    Origami King (probably, just guessing)
    Paper Mario
    The Thousand Year Door

Super Paper Mario is kind of its own beast, and you could slot it in most anywhere. I'm inclined to put it last, but since some people don't like it as much, it could potentially go before TTYD or PM.

Mind, this list is based on an upward trajectory of quality (IMHO), not story, as most are pretty loosely connected at best, with PM and TTYD having the strongest ties, if I'm not mistaken.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    exis wrote: »
    Burnout may be expensive for what it is, but it's fun, smooth at 60FPS, and I'm having fun with it. Seems like all the new ports are really good, with the exception of Outer Wilds. /s.

I am tempted to pick up Burnout because I loved and played the shit out of it on Xbox 360, but I'm also kinda put off paying full retail again for a port of a game that age. Just all feels a bit cynical.

It's becoming clear to me that the cynical cost of older but awesome ports is very much part and parcel of the Switch.

(Edit: a trade-off, of course, is the extremely deep discounts on the eShop now and again. But that only mitigates it to a point.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »

The game is $20 on Xbone and PS4 and $5 on PC. While it is absolute bullshit that they're releasing it on Switch for $50, it'll probably be $20 within a couple months.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I don’t have anywhere to put this, so, I bought and played XCOM 2 on Switch. During the last mission my squad consisted of:
    - A robot with their language set to Spanish.
    - A Russian sniper straight out of STALKER.
    - A Swedish hacker with a fear of explosions.
    - A German psychic with a jet pack.
    - An English grenadier in a top hat.

Nice.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Yeah I’ve heard it’s good but I’m rather turned off by the talk of the difficulty and the Dark Souls comparisons. Probably not a game for me.

It's just extremely pattern recognition. If you're used to NES era stuff then it will be a pretty familiar experience.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I honestly think you should absolutely play super paper Mario regardless of the paper Mario being a definition thing. For me in some ways it’s better than TTYD.

I didn’t realize dream team wasn’t regarded well. I had just finished the original m&l and thought it would be an ok follow up. I just couldn’t get into it. None of the stuff I was doing had any charm. I also felt like kind of uncomfortable touching Luigi so much? I know that’s weird but it just wasn’t a good game hook for me.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm currently in the Shadow Palace in TTYD and while I like it alot there are a lot of annoyances that I ran into (whilst playing it in 2020). Luckily many of them are resolved by going to a walk through.

The arena was 20 battles and it could have been 10 and kept the feeling. The entire train sequence was brutal because if you didn't know exactly where to go you had to enter each cabin and with the transition it added 30 minutes to the whole thing (though the mystery stuff was fun). Brewing the potion and having to wait exactly 30 seconds before pressing A when there's a ticking sound that isn't per second (ended up muting my TV and using my phone). Trying to find the last bomb guy to launch yourself to the moon meant that you had to run back to every world you'd visited before and talk to a specific person only to find out that he's at the last town. (I love the irony of it but jeez that was just busy work)

Combat is still really good though. I went almost all BP when I leveled and so I'm almost always ready for any type of battle. Humor is still good and got a few chuckles from me.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Color Splash seems to me like a game that falls into that middling band of quality where those who enjoy it don't enjoy enough for it to be worth their while to engage with the vitriol that gets poured out on it, which leaves you with the impression that it's universally reviled as opposed to well-made (as Nintendo games typically are) with some controversial design elements.

Then again, maybe I'm only speaking for myself. :wonk:

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Color splash has all the gameplay elements of a fun game. Nice unique world, nice story and dialogue, nice characters ( I mean you can dislike everyone being toads, but that doesn’t ruin how they are written). The only crappy thing about the whole game is the combat. It’s monotonous, kind of pointless, and rarely rewarding.

But you can look past the combat most of the time. There is a high quality game there.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I honestly think you should absolutely play super paper Mario regardless of the paper Mario being a definition thing. For me in some ways it’s better than TTYD.

I didn’t realize dream team wasn’t regarded well. I had just finished the original m&l and thought it would be an ok follow up. I just couldn’t get into it. None of the stuff I was doing had any charm. I also felt like kind of uncomfortable touching Luigi so much? I know that’s weird but it just wasn’t a good game hook for me.

Play Bowser's Inside Story if you're looking for a M&L fix

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    The only crappy thing about the whole game is the combat. It’s monotonous, kind of pointless, and rarely rewarding.

I never played it, but the Arlo youtube video on it made it sound... like extremely poor design. Choose between:

have resource -> do combat -> use up resource -> get money -> buy resource -> have resource

or

have resource -> don't do combat -> have resource

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Color Splash is pretty garbage. Other than the combat which is best approached by avoiding every encounter you can I did not find any of the charm and humor that I've heard other people talk about.

I felt like there was a mandate to have every character try to say as many paper puns or jokes as possible. I get that Nintendo has decided that the Paper part is the most important part of Paper Mario, but damn I do not need the entire game's dialog and humor to revolve around that fact. It gets old after a while.

Also damn near every npc you interact with being a toad is just really boring. No interesting characters like in previous Paper Marios. Just an avalanche of generic looking toads with maybe a swapped color palette.

It's still way better than Sticker Star though. I can't think of a single positive for that game.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    That is it yeah. There is some strategy to learning the most efficient way to use the reasources, but you end up repeating that a lot and at that point there is nothing else going on to care about.

Arlo is a great channel but he has a hyper focus on paper Mario games. Mainly he has about the strongest opinion on TTYD possible.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

*raises hand*

I love metroidvanias, so I gave this a shot. What did me in wasn't the difficulty, it was the artificial bullshit that was layered in to make things more punishing. If you die again before returning to the spot you died previously, you lose all your money. Save points are obnoxiously far from difficult bosses (and you're expected to die a few times before you get the patterns down). And the map system is just stupid -- you don't make the map as you go, you have to locate the dude who sells the map of the area and buy it. Assuming you haven't died and lost all your money.

If the game makers fixed those three things I'd probably really like the game.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    It's been awhile but the fact that even if you buy the map you don't get the whole thing and have to fill in areas yourself and the ability to see where on the map you even are take's up a valuable charm slot is kind of bad.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Sticker Star is one of the bottom 5 worst games nintendo made
    it has no charm, no characters, no story, the rpg systems are extremely bad. the only thing battles give you are stickers, which you only use in battles in larger quantities than you get back. So not battling is the only smart way. But there is NOTHING in the game outside battles except some garbage stupid big real world object "puzzles".

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Thinking of playing the Paper Mario titles I missed before getting into the next one.

..should I just skip Sticker Star and go straight to Color Splash? Haven't heard a lot of good things about SS.

Paper Jam worth playing? Know that one is probably more of a M&L title.

Sounds like you've already played some Paper Mario. Were it not for that and you were intent on playing all of them, this would be my recommended order:

Sticker Star
    Color Splash
    Origami King (probably, just guessing)
    Paper Mario
    The Thousand Year Door

Super Paper Mario is kind of its own beast, and you could slot it in most anywhere. I'm inclined to put it last, but since some people don't like it as much, it could potentially go before TTYD or PM.

Mind, this list is based on an upward trajectory of quality (IMHO), not story, as most are pretty loosely connected at best, with PM and TTYD having the strongest ties, if I'm not mistaken.
    I've played everything but Sticker Star and Color Splash.

Super Paper Mario was fantastic but suffers from being mind numbingly easy to the point where I could try to force myself to lose against bosses and still win somehow.

Thousand Year Door is the gold standard. Seeing how badly Sticker Star and Color Splash diverge from it is one of the main reasons I haven't tried them before now even though I love the series and its writing/humor.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I downloaded the jump rope game on the Switch since I thought my 4 year old would like it. She was apprehensive at first, so she wanted me to show her first.

She sat in the floor and I started twirling my wrists and jumping. After about 5 jumps, she got super excited and stood up right next to me and took a joy-con to the head.

Thankfully after 5 minutes of tears, the room evolved into a jump party.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    If Color Splash were its own standalone game and the other Paper Marios hadn't come before it, I think it would rate positively at least, though not highly. The combat is poor, but the humor, writing, gags, are all still good. It still has good character writing even though it's wasted on all the toads you can't tell apart.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I've been playing Daemon X Machina, just got to the final boss, and I think I have to finally admit to myself that this isn't a great game, in spite of how much I like the style and wanted to like it. The combat is way too zippy, it makes a lot of slower weapons completely worthless and feels like it gives the AI a huge advantage. These bosses have way too much hp so I ran out of ammo for all my guns before their hp was even halfway down. The process of getting new equipment at the factory is obtuse, there's a lot of stats on these weapons that aren't even explained. It feels like there's a ton of complexity that just doesn't ultimately matter. The story is also often incomprehensible.

It's a shame, because I think the core gameplay feels good, and I like a lot of the ideas they had with it. The setting and background info seem intriguing, and I like what they did with the other pilots.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Donnicton wrote: »

It's just extremely pattern recognition. If you're used to NES era stuff then it will be a pretty familiar experience.

So in other words, get good. :D

It's not the difficulty alone that's the problem. I can handle a good challenge. It's the Dark Souls bullshit of "you died and lost all your stuff, go get it back" that's not my idea of a good time.

It's fine though, not every game need to be tailor made for my tastes. I just don't want that garbage to find its way in to Metroid proper.

RidleySaria on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I've been playing Daemon X Machina, just got to the final boss, and I think I have to finally admit to myself that this isn't a great game, in spite of how much I like the style and wanted to like it. The combat is way too zippy, it makes a lot of slower weapons completely worthless and feels like it gives the AI a huge advantage. These bosses have way too much hp so I ran out of ammo for all my guns before their hp was even halfway down. The process of getting new equipment at the factory is obtuse, there's a lot of stats on these weapons that aren't even explained. It feels like there's a ton of complexity that just doesn't ultimately matter. The story is also often incomprehensible.

It's a shame, because I think the core gameplay feels good, and I like a lot of the ideas they had with it. The setting and background info seem intriguing, and I like what they did with the other pilots.

Yeah, it looks good and the gameplay feels good, but they don’t really do anything with it. It seems like they wanted it to be two things - a game where mercenaries fight wars for corporations in a post-apocalyptic world, and one about weird anime stuff I only scratched the surface of. And yeah, the bosses look cool but are sponges.

• Options

It's not the difficulty alone that's the problem. I can handle a good challenge. It's the Dark Souls bullshit of "you died and lost all your stuff, go get it back" that's not my idea of a good time.

It's fine though, not every game need to be tailor made for my tastes. I just don't want that garbage to find its way in to Metroid proper.

So here's the thing about "you died, go get your stuff back"

It doesn't matter

You'll gain it all back, even if you die and lose those 40,000 souls. It doesn't matter.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular

It doesn't matter

You'll gain it all back, even if you die and lose those 40,000 souls. It doesn't matter.

Breaking yourself of your attachment to the earned currency is maybe the most difficult, and necessary, mindset shift from other types games.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    How is Outer Worlds on Switch

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular

It's like their version of optimization was to set all the detail sliders to low, make it blurry and pixelated, and then add another slider to knock the details down even more. And real long load times.

It is not really a pretty game to look at. But I didn't see a lot of the other issues (character/enemy pop-in, terrible frame rates) that some other people seem to have had. I'm not going to recommend you to get it, but there's worse ways I've spent $60.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »

It's like their version of optimization was to set all the detail sliders to low, make it blurry and pixelated, and then add another slider to knock the details down even more. And real long load times.

It is not really a pretty game to look at. But I didn't see a lot of the other issues (character/enemy pop-in, terrible frame rates) that some other people seem to have had. I'm not going to recommend you to get it, but there's worse ways I've spent $60.
    Hmm okay. I couldn't tell if gamers were being dramatic or if there was a real problem with the quality. Thanks!

• Options

Hmm okay. I couldn't tell if gamers were being dramatic or if there was a real problem with the quality. Thanks!

Nooo... gamers aren’t dramatic.

Now back to talking about how Paper Mario and Dark Souls are TRASH. :D

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Sticker Star and Color Splash felt like they were both crippled by a bunch of arbitrary design limitations placed on them that took away everything people liked about the earlier games while offering no benefit in return. The difference is, Color Splash was made after the designers had a chance to realize how much people hated Sticker Star. Even if they still couldn't change the factors that were going to force Color Splash to be much worse than it had to be, they did their best to make the parts that they were actually allowed to touch better.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

I got it, it's fun, and I love the gyro integration! I do agree with the above assessment and hope there's a patch, there's a good game in there. Maybe a $40 price point would have been a better valuation.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

It doesn't matter

Hmm...I can't think of a game this wouldn't apply to though, if they incorporated the same system.

Die in Breath of the Wild, lose all your weapon inventory and rupees. Eventually you'll get it all back, right?

Is there something about the way those games were designed that makes it less bothersome?

Anything I lose in most games, yeah, I could grind a while and get it all back. I'd rather not waste my time though. I appreciate games like Xenoblade where death is just a teleport to the nearest landmark and all the enemies have respawned. I didn't even take durability damage or anything like that, not half my gold, nothing. I can dust myself off and pick up where I left off.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky