As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Could you have done the same thing to them that they did to you, or do they have access to abilities that you don't have at the moment?

Having a war of healing back and forth is...not the most fun.

My thought is, if the enemy is clustered for AOE healing, that means they're clustered for AOE damage and AOE debuffs/status effects. That's how I've been dealing with it, so far.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Sounds like a failure of pure RNG enemy comps then I guess, you run into what are effectively cheese comps and get cheesed.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I know this isn't the Fell Seal thread but just while it is relevant...I figured something out by looking online.

There is no mass berserk skill, but Fellblades have a move that spreads any debuffs on a central target to all adjacent characters (Miasma). So to some extent, I was unlucky and had bad positioning, though a berserk character will obviously go stand next to anyone nearby to attack them and thus be a spread risk.

Honestly my party just needs to wear their N95 masks. It doesn't matter that we're outside.

I'm facing a similar encounter to the previous one now:
    This is at Azure Fields when everyone is level 16/17.

Enemies:
    Templar/Plague Doctor (melee w/ sword)
    Templars are like paladins, they can heal and buff with attack up, and dispel enemy buffs. Plague Doctors can remove debuffs, poison, mass slow, mass weaken (prevents healing), apply mass thorns buff (every attack on an enemy has retaliatory damage).

Peddler/Wizard (ranged w/ crossbow)
    Peddlers can drop invisible traps on the ground that stop your turn when you step on them no matter what and also apply a debuff. They also have an AOE party haste. Wizards just cast the big damaging elemental spells.

Mender/Plague Doctor (melee w/ staff)
    Menders are the white mages, heals, revives, remove debuffs, and this one also has all the affects listed for the Plague Doctor above.

Gunner/Duelist (ranged w/ gun)
    Gunners have a lot of long range debuffs like slow, silence, berserk, cripple (prevents using skills). Duelist has good single target damage and can also revive.

Alchemystic/Reaver (melee w/ staff)
    Alchemystics have mass buffs, def up, resistance up, barrier (avoid one debuff), renew, haste. Reavers do various area attacks and debuffs, including a move that gives their target all their own debuffs.

Vangal (melee w/ claw)
    A spike dog thing that can counter attacks with thorns.

Bandit Kawa (melee w/ claw)
    A goblin who can buff the enemies but whose main goal is to escape in a few turns so you can't kill him and get his good drops.

I don't have access to some of these classes at all yet. I feel like in FFT they tended to be careful about giving enemies suboptimal skills on purpose, like an enemy having Punch Art/Charge (charge just being a long series of more damage for longer charge up time) or Battle Skill/Item.
    jothki wrote: »
    Could you have done the same thing to them that they did to you, or do they have access to abilities that you don't have at the moment?

They have classes I don't have available yet.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I really really want a game like fell seal, but everything I hear makes me hesitant to play it.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I really really want a game like fell seal, but everything I hear makes me hesitant to play it.

For the record the game has a very positive rating on Steam with over 2000 reviews and many of them 100+ hours into the game. So it might just be something he's experiencing that everyone isn't.

• Options
    Yeah sorry I don't want to be a jerk or anything. The negative reviews on Steam seem reflective of my experience, many mention too much enemy healing becoming a slog.

When you are upset because you feel like you got done dirty in a game it's easy to write up a quick rant post!

But heck I've probably already gotten $10 worth out of it. I don't hate everything, just geeze louise sometimes.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

For the record the game has a very positive rating on Steam with over 2000 reviews and many of them 100+ hours into the game. So it might just be something he's experiencing that everyone isn't.

Well, if the game's throwing grunts at him with abilities he doesn't have access to yet something seems off. I know the various FFT games were usually careful about that - anyone with a class you couldn't (reasonably) have yet was generally a boss. They didn't always ramp up enough at the tail end, but they were very fair getting there.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Well, if the game's throwing grunts at him with abilities he doesn't have access to yet something seems off. I know the various FFT games were usually careful about that - anyone with a class you couldn't (reasonably) have yet was generally a boss. They didn't always ramp up enough at the tail end, but they were very fair getting there.

Sometimes random chance just conspires to fuck you over and ruin a game. Nier Automata is almost universally praised, but my experience playing it for half an hour included one hard crash, and then I got stuck in an elevator shaft while the camera glitched into a wall.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Sometimes random chance just conspires to fuck you over and ruin a game. Nier Automata is almost universally praised, but my experience playing it for half an hour included one hard crash, and then I got stuck in an elevator shaft while the camera glitched into a wall.

Yeah, I could get Nier to run on my PC. It seems stable and polished on PS4 tho.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Yeah, I could get Nier to run on my PC. It seems stable and polished on PS4 tho.

That was on the PS4.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    When I grabbed the easy to implement fixes for Automata on pc, in ran great. They even have upgraded textures to fix some of the horribly inconsistent resolutions on them that is the same in every version.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I once got a series of judge rulings if FFTA that meant I couldn’t use spells or special attacks - only physical. I came up against 5 enemies that were 90% physical immune. After my main character got jailed I got an instant game over and said fuck that game, never touching it again.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I once got a series of judge rulings if FFTA that meant I couldn’t use spells or special attacks - only physical. I came up against 5 enemies that were 90% physical immune. After my main character got jailed I got an instant game over and said fuck that game, never touching it again.

But why not use a card to break the anti- magic law, dismiss the judge, or just avoid battle until the laws changed? You kind of overreacted by a lot...

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Aegeri wrote: »

But why not use a card to break the anti- magic law, dismiss the judge, or just avoid battle until the laws changed? You kind of overreacted by a lot...

I did not have the ability to do that in that battle (didn’t have the card available). This is because just before that I had a battle where you couldn’t use physical or specials against enemies only weak to physical. I got through that using all of those things. That battle was also the only one I had available at the time.

I am not interested in relitigating the fact I found that game utter shit. Yep I recognise it to be 100% the shittiest RNG it could have vomited up. It did not make it worth my time. So I can completely understand @UncleSporky here, because if a game can be outright bad by RNG it can and will be outright bad by RNG.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Ironically that random element is what makes me love it even more.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    They vastly neutered the law system in the sequel for a reason.

• Options
    Laws aren't random in FFTA. They're either fixed for a specific quest or they draw from the world cycle, which is just a list that advances a step each move on the map. The list changes with story progress, but is otherwise static.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    How is the DLC for Dead Cells? Worth the $5 or should I wait until I can beat the base game?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Playing Fire Emblem Heroes, and just got to the time skip.

When is the best time to do the DLC with Sewer House? Is it possible to do that stuff with the same save file, and it'll plop me back in the main story when I left off when I'm done?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

When is the best time to do the DLC with Sewer House? Is it possible to do that stuff with the same save file, and it'll plop me back in the main story when I left off when I'm done?

You mean Three Houses?

If I remember right the DLC is a completely separate story on its own with its own save files. The best time is probably as soon as possible/before starting a new game, since doing it will unlock
    the sewer area to be explored during normal professor days off, you can get items from there throughout the whole game, and talk with the new party members there and raise support with them. The longer you have access to it, the better.

If you do it at time skip you've already missed out on a lot of possible things. In my own case, I had never quite finished the game, so when I came back to it I did the last few missions, then the entire DLC, then started New Game Plus in a different house, and am getting various benefits from sewer place and having the new party members fairly early.

• Options

You mean Three Houses?

If I remember right the DLC is a completely separate story on its own with its own save files. The best time is probably as soon as possible/before starting a new game, since doing it will unlock
    the sewer area to be explored during normal professor days off, you can get items from there throughout the whole game, and talk with the new party members there and raise support with them. The longer you have access to it, the better.

If you do it at time skip you've already missed out on a lot of possible things. In my own case, I had never quite finished the game, so when I came back to it I did the last few missions, then the entire DLC, then started New Game Plus in a different house, and am getting various benefits from sewer place and having the new party members fairly early.

Oh right, I meant Three Houses. Well dang.

Random sidenote: when I played this, I figured I'd get newfound appreciation for Byleth in Smash Bros., especially since everyone who hadn't played the game griped about his inclusion. Well, I'm playing it. And I'm really enjoying it! But holy hell, Byleth comes across as a generic anime swordsman in his own damn game. I mean, Robin actually had a personality in Awakening (the last Fire Emblem I played). I'm actually more annoyed at Byleth in Smash now.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Isn't Byleth a silent protagonist? How can they be anything but generic? Its like Skyrim viking helmet guy.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Isn't Byleth a silent protagonist? How can they be anything but generic? Its like Skyrim viking helmet guy.

Throughout the story and in support conversations you can choose what you want Byleth to say, sometimes in an authoritative sense, sometimes bordering on rude, aggressive, cheerful etc. so there are roleplaying choices. More so than other mute protagonists by comparison.

These dialogue options are not voiced, but it's more than, for example, Crono or Link. I would argue you can do better roleplaying than even Skyrim, since all of Skyrim's dialogue options tend to boil down to just questions, and not conversation that sets the tone for the kind of person you are.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Throughout the story and in support conversations you can choose what you want Byleth to say, sometimes in an authoritative sense, sometimes bordering on rude, aggressive, cheerful etc. so there are roleplaying choices. More so than other mute protagonists by comparison.

It would help if the dialog choices had any real effect on, well, anything other than whether or not you get an affection point from the person you're talking to. Mass Effect this ain't.

cloudeagle on
  • Options

It would help if the dialog choices had any real effect on, well, anything other than whether or not you get an affection point from the person you're talking to. Mass Effect this ain't.

Uhhhh.... Not really? But I guess you're not far enough along yet.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I mean... they are still correct. Doesn't matter how far along they are.
    Outside the obvious house choice there's what... 1 option on 1 path that you may not even be playing that actually changes something? Mass Effect this ain't still stands true.

• Options

Outside the obvious house choice there's what... 1 option on 1 path that you may not even be playing that actually changes something? Mass Effect this ain't still stands true.

I wasn't talking about the Mass Effect part.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I'm not sure how that changes the point of the responses not mattering.

• Options

Because there is actually a point in the game where your choices change the story pretty dramatically?

• Options
    Does the major decision I've yet to make even though I'm like 247 hours in give Byleth any semblance of a personality? Or do I just get the "put his hand in his chin" animation yet again?

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

Because there is actually a point in the game where your choices change the story pretty dramatically?
    it's one choice on black eagles once.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

it's one choice on black eagles once.

This is such a weird argument to be having lol.
    Does the major decision I've yet to make even though I'm like 247 hours in give Byleth any semblance of a personality? Or do I just get the "put his hand in his chin" animation yet again?

Nope Byleth never has any sort of personality if that's what you're looking for.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    At least in the Golden Deer storyline, Byleth-as-blank-slate makes 100% sense and given the revelations therein, anything else would not make sense.

• Options
    I'm definitely impressed by all the crazy crap that happened right before the time skip that was apparently determined by my choice of house, and now I'm intensely curious what the other two forms of crazy crap will take.

• Options
    I'm definitely impressed by all the crazy crap that happened right before the time skip that was apparently determined by my choice of house, and now I'm intensely curious what the other two forms of crazy crap will take.

Please report back! :)

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Has Three Houses gone on sale at any point?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Brody wrote: »

It's a Nintendo game, so best you're really ever going to get is $10-15 off. I wouldn't hold out for anything larger. I guess Nintendo does usually give a 30% discount in your birthday month, but that's usually on a small selection of games, so who knows? I guess it went on sale for $15 off at Best Buy in Feb? Same difference as 30% I suppose.

I don't know if it's like this everwhere, but the Walmarts local to me sell Switch games almost universally $10 less than anywhere else as a normal price. They don't do sales, so sometimes you'll still find them cheaper; but for boxed copies of Nintendo developed/published games, that almost never go on sale anyway, $50 is frequently the best you're ever going to get. This is for boxed copies, mind you; digital cards are still $60. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    If you are in the US I'd be happy to send you my copy if you want to send it back when you are done.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

It's a Nintendo game, so best you're really ever going to get is $10-15 off. I wouldn't hold out for anything larger. I guess Nintendo does usually give a 30% discount in your birthday month, but that's usually on a small selection of games, so who knows? I guess it went on sale for $15 off at Best Buy in Feb? Same difference as 30% I suppose.

I don't know if it's like this everwhere, but the Walmarts local to me sell Switch games almost universally $10 less than anywhere else as a normal price. They don't do sales, so sometimes you'll still find them cheaper; but for boxed copies of Nintendo developed/published games, that almost never go on sale anyway, $50 is frequently the best you're ever going to get. This is for boxed copies, mind you; digital cards are still $60. :rotate:

Nintendo just gives wallpapers in your birthday now, they ditched the discounts.

• Options
    To be fair to Nintendo their games still sell at those prices, so why cut them?