As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Reminds me of Discord. You can pick whatever display name you want, and even your username can be whatever because they're going to add #4729 to the end of it to make it unique.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    The thing about friend codes that no one ever touches on, is that it allows you to have whatever screen name you want.

I can just be Raybies on Nintendo, no 666 required, and I've played Mario Kart against several Dads too.

I've never had to play against xXxDad4752xXx and I think that's nice.

You can change it whenever too, can't you? So I don't have to be JazzMX5 if I'm just playing something with family or friends, but then I can go back to it when I'm done.

That is a definite plus to their system, it has to be said.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Eh, I like names being "unique" but that's just me

• Options
    Eh, I like names being "unique" but that's just me

Not just you at all. It's kind of what I'm used to, so there's a novelty to the Switch setup for me - but as I said before, it does make it hard for me to figure out who's who on my friends list, which unique names solves. (And/or the numeric hashtag thing Battle.net/Discord/latterly Xbox Live do.)

I guess there's pros and cons either way. Steam is, now I think about it, closer to the Nintendo setup, weirdly - each user does have a unique numeric identifier and can change their handle (and on a profile page you can see the aliases they've used, which makes it much easier to figure out who's who, and you can manually set your own nickname for someone which Steam displays prominently, making it even easier, I use that a lot for PAers).

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Has anyone played Minecraft Dungeons on Switch yet? How is it? I'm trying to decide which platform to get it on.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    Has anyone played Minecraft Dungeons on Switch yet? How is it? I'm trying to decide which platform to get it on.

Opinions vary greatly on this one. Some people really dig it; some people hate it. It helps if you expect a streamlined Diablo with zero actual minecrafting.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I don't see the big deal about friendcodes. You type in some numbers instead of a username, big woop. All the other wack online stuff I totally get and love bitching about.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't see the big deal about friendcodes. You type in some numbers instead of a username, big woop. All the other wack online stuff I totally get and love bitching about.

At the very beginning the deal was justified. Now though they function exactly like any other online username. No more having both people adding each other, there's a proper notification system now. And there's a menu that lists everybody you've ever played online with and can add from that. Like you said, at worst you're giving someone a 16 digit code over a noun with a random number of digits and x's in it. Which means you probably don't have it memorized and have to look it up. But I'll be honest, I don't even have my Steam and PS4 names memorized (is it Wolfman or TheWolfman, did I use spaces or underlines, did I need to add numbers to it), so I'd have to look them up anyways.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah when you first have to add them they blow. But since most of my list has been imported from the WiiU/3DS I haven't had to add but a few people at this point.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »

Isn't the correct answer Gamepass?

Anyway if you don't have that, Digital Foundry compared all the consoles. According to them, Switch is 30 FPS and a bit stuttery but not that far behind the base Xbox. PS4 is still stuck at 30 but is fairly stutter free. Pro/X consoles are higher res and a smooth 60, the latter being what actually matters in a blocky action game.

https://youtu.be/E1ZHZa8Lgig

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    I don't have a Pro and I don't let my son play on my PC, so I was hoping the Switch version was decent.

Thanks!

• Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, I can't remember who it was but whoever was having credit card problems with the eShop, there's an update that is supposed to fix the issue.

https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/latest-nintendo-switch-update-1004-actually-does-s/1100-6478083/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry, I can't remember who it was but whoever was having credit card problems with the eShop, there's an update that is supposed to fix the issue.

https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/latest-nintendo-switch-update-1004-actually-does-s/1100-6478083/

@Drez

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

@Drez

Thanks! ‘Twas me, ‘twas.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Elin wrote: »
    Played Mancala online with a rando. Was super easy to connect and play. Why is online so ass with Animal Crossing?

Animal Crossing definitely does a lot of things wrong with its online implementation, but there are really simple reasons why it's easy to play mancala with someone, or race someone in Mario Kart, while Animal Crossing takes forever to figure itself out.

With a fully customizable island they have to synchronize all of that data among every user, and keep track of any changes made by anyone, new items dropped, holes dug, plus everyone's inventory and appearance, which they can change out at any time including with their own custom textures.

In mancala you don't even have to download another user's custom textured mancala board. A move can likely be represented by a single byte (which hole is being sown from).

none of those things are remotely an issue in several games that are orders of magnitude more complex than AC. Astroneer, No Man's Sky, Minecraft, Satisfactory, all of those are drop in/drop out coop. Those games have literal entire planets, inventories in the several thousands of items, some of them have fully deformable worlds. There are many more games with those features. And I'm not even mentioning MMOs.

That's just a very weak excuse for nintendo not doing their homework. It's an issue that's been long solved even by small indies.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The thing about friend codes that no one ever touches on, is that it allows you to have whatever screen name you want.

I can just be Raybies on Nintendo, no 666 required, and I've played Mario Kart against several Dads too.

That's also a solved issue by services with dozens of million users, like Steam, Battle.net and Discord. I can have any screen name I want in any of them.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

That's also a solved issue by services with dozens of million users, like Steam, Battle.net and Discord. I can have any screen name I want in any of them.

...by doing basically the exact same thing, having a number code to the player. So, like. Yes. It's solved. It's also solved here.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Played Mancala online with a rando. Was super easy to connect and play. Why is online so ass with Animal Crossing?

Animal Crossing definitely does a lot of things wrong with its online implementation, but there are really simple reasons why it's easy to play mancala with someone, or race someone in Mario Kart, while Animal Crossing takes forever to figure itself out.

With a fully customizable island they have to synchronize all of that data among every user, and keep track of any changes made by anyone, new items dropped, holes dug, plus everyone's inventory and appearance, which they can change out at any time including with their own custom textures.

In mancala you don't even have to download another user's custom textured mancala board. A move can likely be represented by a single byte (which hole is being sown from).

none of those things are remotely an issue in several games that are orders of magnitude more complex than AC. Astroneer, No Man's Sky, Minecraft, Satisfactory, all of those are drop in/drop out coop. Those games have literal entire planets, inventories in the several thousands of items, some of them have fully deformable worlds. There are many more games with those features. And I'm not even mentioning MMOs.

That's just a very weak excuse for nintendo not doing their homework. It's an issue that's been long solved even by small indies.

I know. It wasn't my intent to defend Animal Crossing but to demonstrate why mancala just plain works without any issue.

You could look at it as: this takes 2 minutes in Animal Crossing's implementation, but really should take about 10 seconds, but mancala is like one single packet of data which takes 0.01 second.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    My Battle.net name is "name I got to pick" + "4 digit number I did not get to pick". A long time ago a friend at a party asked me what it was in person, and I couldn't give it to them because I sure as heck didn't remember the actual full username, and giving them just the name was useless.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    As far as I can tell, there is no way to natively pair 3rd party bt controllers to the switch?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    My Switch friend code ends in 0420 and therefore I like friend codes.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    How many people did you have to kill, and Switches did you have to take, in order to get that friend code?

Was it 69?

It was 69, wasn't it?

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, there is no way to natively pair 3rd party bt controllers to the switch?

natively no, but those 8bitdo usb adapters are awesome, i have 3 (myself and kids) and they were flawlessly with my ps4 controllers.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular

I know. It wasn't my intent to defend Animal Crossing but to demonstrate why mancala just plain works without any issue.

You could look at it as: this takes 2 minutes in Animal Crossing's implementation, but really should take about 10 seconds, but mancala is like one single packet of data which takes 0.01 second.

But my complaint was never about the load time, but about the excessive menus. I supposed I didn't make that clear in my initial post but loading time is meh. The menu tree is pretty inexcusable.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Anyhow. Dead horse. Abuse. No need.

Here's a picture of a cat playing the Switch I found on the internet.

ng27xvlkmhed.jpg

Also been playing Bug Fables and having a ton of fun. I do have a hard time with blocking, especially with certain enemies. Here's hoping that Origami Kingdom is just as good.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    How many people did you have to kill, and Switches did you have to take, in order to get that friend code?

Was it 69?

It was 69, wasn't it?

Wouldn't that be nice?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Nintendo account breach affected almost twice as many people as previously thought

Up to 300,000 user accounts (up from 160,000) had been accessed in the breach from April.
    Those affected had private data such as their nickname, email, date of birth, gender and country/region made potentially viewable by a third party.

Credit card data was not accessible, though payments were taken via linked Paypal and bank accounts. These were typically for in-game currency in Fortnite, in bundles worth up to £99.[/url]

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Heh yeah, I had that happen to me. Something like $250 in Fortnite bux from my account.

Lesson learned, and their support was pretty decent about getting it resolved. I wish they would let you use your Paypal account for one off purchases without fully linking it to your account, because definitely don't keep it linked to your account!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Big sale on various games on the eshop right now. Lots of big name games on sale for a decent amount and some for the first time.

• Options
    shadowane wrote: »
    Big sale on various games on the eshop right now. Lots of big name games on sale for a decent amount and some for the first time.

I saw that!

Random thing...no one else probably cares, but Dragon's Lair Trilogy is 50% off on Switch, down to $10.

The games are of dubious quality but I love them for the animation quality and the historical aspect, as one of the first mass market implementations of LaserDisc technology.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

I saw that!

Random thing...no one else probably cares, but Dragon's Lair Trilogy is 50% off on Switch, down to $10.

The games are of dubious quality but I love them for the animation quality and the historical aspect, as one of the first mass market implementations of LaserDisc technology.

Which game is that again?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I was gonna link the trailer. You almost got me!

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is $15 or $20 for the Gold Edition. Been meaning to pick that up.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I know we have some fans of Hori's monster Split Pad Pro joy-cons, but they refuse to put out a case to carry them in. Well, looks like butterfox has you covered with its case built specifically for them, with protrusions to support the raised part of the cons. Found out about it from the "review" below that will also showcase the split pad, as well as some alternate cases that can store the cons if detached.

P.S. I may be in the small minority that found these too large and bulky, but there are DOZENS of us I'm sure. Just a note to have a good return policy if you want to try them out. Like most people you'll probably love them though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNoo1SNgIMo&t=0s

• Options
    Drascin wrote: »

...by doing basically the exact same thing, having a number code to the player. So, like. Yes. It's solved. It's also solved here.

that's not a friend code. Raybies was talking about friend codes. your reply is a non-sequitur.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular

I saw that!

I am going to pick up Dark Souls and Timespinners. Of course, I just bought DQ11 for full price and it's on sale now.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    https://www.dekudeals.com/items/moonlighter

Moonlighter is $10. I highly recommend it for $10.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I picked up Transistor for £3. Still never played it despite having had it on Steam for ages (backlog backlog lol). It's supposed to be brilliant...

Edit: And now Steamworld Heist as well. Dammit. This is getting to be a problem.

Jazz on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

that's not a friend code. Raybies was talking about friend codes. your reply is a non-sequitur.

It is a code that is assigned to you and you have to give to people so they can add you.

It's the same goddamn thing except they tack it at the end of your account instead of giving it a name.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I want that Katamari / Cuphead physical copy but these sales are pushing my consumer impulse to the brink.