As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Summer 2020 [TV]: Revenge of the Bachelor

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I will say the episode dedicated to Noriyuki Morita was very good and made me tear up a bit.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I just really cannot decide if I want to give any time to The Boys

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

It is helped out a lot by only being eight episodes long.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    now that both The Tick AND The Venture Bros are gone any red cent going towards The Boys I will take as purely spiteful towards me specifically

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Well what else are you deciding between to watch right now?

You guys just finished Lost season 1 right so there’s no point to watching anymore...

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the only thing that has me somewhat into seeing the boys is hearing about billy zane

but i have found every non jean-claude van johnson amazon original show to be boring as shit

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I am not knocking you for liking it, but I would say it’s trying to be just too edgy for me.

There was absolutely a bit of, "Oh, shit, I can say fuck?" going on in how the dialogue was written, but I could feel it calming down and settling into a groove as it went

I went in with no expectations other than, "I've heard it's good," and so I was VERY pleasantly surprised to see Joker portrayed as an absolute shithead, Batman as a big dork, Poison Ivy as somebody kinda exhausted by how ludicrous everyone in this city is. They were characterizations that I've longed to see on screen, so I gave the try-hard cussing more of a pass than I usually do.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I finished the first season of The Boys.

That was good stuff!

My favorite sequence/scene though?

Oh, it'd be the sinister inversion of Superman saving an airplane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK0qxKsMPzQ

Homelander, you fucking monster.

That sequence hooked me on the show. It was so horrifying

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Homelander is the absolute highlight of the show and it's worth every second of time you're willing to give it. I cannot recommend The Boys enough.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I finished the first season of The Boys.

That was good stuff!

My favorite sequence/scene though?

Oh, it'd be the sinister inversion of Superman saving an airplane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK0qxKsMPzQ

Homelander, you fucking monster.

What fun

• Options
    I kind of recommend not watching that sequence if you’re planning to watch the show, it works better in context and it’s not really a jokey cock up the way the YouTube descriptor bills it as

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm generally uninterested in explorations of things like, "wow if superpowers were real? well, they'd probably cause a lot of extreme violence just if like someone had super speed or whatever!" It's not a value judgment, or anything, I don't think it's invalid to explore that. I largely just don't think it's all that compelling? I keep thinking of that deleted scene from Hancock where they're like, "lol he'd jizz through a roof probably"

• Options
    Honestly I was the same way but for some reason The Boys just clicked for me. I can definitely see the concept turning people off, and out of context it looks too cruel and jokey, but for some reason it just worked with me. I think because it finds genuine horror and humour in it and often does some unexpected and clever stuff. But I definitely get the concept putting people off. For example I tried to read the comic back in the day and hated it

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Prohass wrote: »
    Honestly I was the same way but for some reason The Boys just clicked for me. I can definitely see the concept turning people off, and out of context it looks too cruel and jokey, but for some reason it just worked with me. I think because it finds genuine horror and humour in it and often does some unexpected and clever stuff. But I definitely get the concept putting people off. For example I tried to read the comic back in the day and hated it

For me a well worn concept can be saved by the cast and characters and The Boys seems to bring those in spades.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Yeah when I recommend the boys I tend to avoid talking about the whole super heroes but what if real thing, it’s mainly just a backdrop for solid characters and clever and surprising sequences. The horror in it is used for some gross out bizzare humour but also genuine character based plain old horror.

However I definitely don’t push it on people, if the blood and guts and concept turn people off I tend to just say fair enough.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm glad it's a well-executed take that isn't just, "if superman punched a guy, he'd probably explode," but like, I know what's up with the show, it's fine! I'm glad y'all enjoy it.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    The comic has ensured I’ll never be able to watch the show purely out of spite for Garth Ennis

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I made it through the first season of The Boys, but it lost me by the end. I can't muster up any enthusiasm to give season 2 a try.

If Bill & Ted Face the Music was exactly the kind of optimistic, innocent fun that I needed these days, The Boys is just about the exact polar opposite.

Ketar on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    The comic has ensured I’ll never be able to watch the show purely out of spite for Garth Ennis

Yeah this is sort of where I'm at

But at the same time the comic is so repugnant that the TV show getting any positive word of mouth makes me think they did an unfaithful adaptation and made it good somehow, which I have to admit makes me curious

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Speaking of favorite Airplane scenes, here’s one of my top ones from Agents of Shield.

https://youtu.be/sm1yS9JjwUs

God, Ward was just the best.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    When Chidi gets his note back from Janet

It got extremely dusty in my living room

sig.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I am watching ds9

Norys keeps a phaser unlocked in her top drawer while she's staying with the O'Briens.

She's lucky Molly doesn't find it. That just seems irresponsible.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm caught up on Cobra Kai

Season 3 will have a lot of potential but Season 2 ended up devoting a lot of time to its weakest aspects.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Oh cool, Close Enough is coming to Australian Netflix very soon. If HBO Max existed here I'd honestly get it, but I'll take what I can get.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    First four episodes of the boys down. Its certainly hamfisted in spots, and kinda dumb, but damn if it doesn't go places and I love the cast.

Episode four was a fucking rollercoaster!
    The plane! The pep talk! Spice girls and that poor dolphin!

Also didn't Hughes girlfriend only die like a week or two ago? Seems fast.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Speaking of favorite Airplane scenes, here’s one of my top ones from Agents of Shield.

https://youtu.be/sm1yS9JjwUs

God, Ward was just the best.

I still can't figure out how Brett Dalton hasn't been in like ten billion things the past few years.

He showed a TON of range, and isn't exactly hard on the eyes.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm legit sad they didn't manage to shoehorn him into the last season of Agents of Shield somewhere. They had a time machine! He was mentioned once.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm legit sad they didn't manage to shoehorn him into the last season of Agents of Shield somewhere. They had a time machine! He was mentioned once.

They even got Bill Paxton’s son to play young Bill Paxton!

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

They even got Bill Paxton’s son to play young Bill Paxton!

He has the same giant grin!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

Imagine a post credits scene with
    Deke running SHIELD and he somehow has a new Dekesquad band with Ward and Tripp.

Shit, throw Lincoln in if you're feeling ambitious.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    so I never started on Lovecraft Country

the word of mouth on the two most recent episodes has been so wildly negative I am not exactly encouraged to

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »

Imagine a post credits scene with
    Deke running SHIELD and he somehow has a new Dekesquad band with Ward and Tripp.

Shit, throw Lincoln in if you're feeling ambitious.

Photoshopped all giving the thumbs up with the alternate universe Avengers standing behind them.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    so I never started on Lovecraft Country

the word of mouth on the two most recent episodes has been so wildly negative I am not exactly encouraged to

It started really strong imo. I haven't watched the two latest ones yet either, because of the negative takes I'm hearing

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I've been watching it, just about done with the latest episode, and I don't know what these negative takes are, but it's seemed good so far to me. Maybe not as good as the first two episodes, but still good.

What are these negative takes saying?

No I don't.
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I've been watching it, just about done with the latest episode, and I don't know what these negative takes are, but it's seemed good so far to me. Maybe not as good as the first two episodes, but still good.

The part where
    A two-spirit native american is brutalized did not sit well with people.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Last week's episode made me nearly give up on the show (particularly for the spoiler nightmarenny posted). I was willing to give a second chance because of how good the other episodes had been

Tonight's episode has made me give up

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Aaaaaahhhhh yeah, just got to the part in this episode.

Wasn't too terribly happy with that in the last episode, and this episode's stuff wasn't great either. I kinda half watch this while reading stuff on the internet so I end up not thing too critically on it.

No I don't.
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    this is neither here nor there but even in the era of shitty sound mixing Lovecraft Country might have the worst sound mixing I have ever heard

I can either have the music at a comfortable volume and need to put subtitles on to hear any dialogue, or completely blow out my speakers for the sake of making out what anyone is saying

This discussion has been closed.