As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - We Should Talk, Before I Forget & Beyond a Steel Sky out today!

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Monster Train is REAL good

I keep seeing glowing comparisons to Slay the Spire and all I hear is "Hey, have you heard the good news? They just invented Heroin 2! It's the sequel to heroin!"

I can quit any time I want!!!

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

I keep seeing glowing comparisons to Slay the Spire and all I hear is "Hey, have you heard the good news? They just invented Heroin 2! It's the sequel to heroin!"

Just one more run...

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I do appreciate the extent to which Monster Train is all about just getting a turbo-broken meat grinder of a deck every run, and how gleefully it showers you with artifacts, card upgrades, and card purges to let you do that.

A bad run in Monster Train still feels like a pretty broken StS run

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Started up Disco Elysium yesterday.

Finally, a game where I can play a bumbling, useless, apologetic, communist.

The only thing that could be considered a total success on the first day was collecting enough bottles and cans to trade in so he could buy a pack of smokes.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    SO if you like Borderlands or at least the IDEA of Borderlands, go scope out Gunfire Reborn on Steam. It's an absolutely amazing little game of Borderlands meet Dead Cells set in High Chinese Fantasy
    5k6l0fta7q0i.jpg
    dpghq69hd2yh.jpg

i am vera enamoured of it

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Now that Sea of Thieves is out on steam, are any of you going to pick it up? I missed it at launch and recently got into it with a couple of irl friends. We are loving it!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Brolo wrote: »
    So my kid is playing through Portal.
    . . .
    Him: 'Well, I'm still enjoying it, and I only have a couple of test chambers left, so I'm pretty close to the end by now."

I asked him how he'd got on, and he said (spoilers for portal 1, if anyone hasn't played it yet):
    "I guess I'm in the insides of Aperture Science now? Also there was no cake. There was fire. I was disappointed."

And now I have heard "Still Alive" entirely too many times. (I mean, it's a great song and all, but his tolerance for repetition is a lot higher than mine)

man remember that first week after portal came out

remember

G6nhhuV.jpg

this comic

This is violence

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    why would you curse a new page with this

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

I wasn't totally feeling it until I unlocked the Umbra. These freaks are so fun to play, especially if you the double consume artifact.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    there is of course no reason to ever ever complain about this itch.io bundle, an insane value

but boy is digging through this stuff a hassle, I thought downloading itch's client would help but none of the stuff in it shows up in your library until you have previously downloaded it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Yeah. And you don't actually have to download it. You just have to click the download button next to the thing you want on the list they send you and it will add it to your library.

I was duplicating the tab before clicking the download link every time.

It's understandably pretty slapdash.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so, i booted up mafia 2 because of the remastered edition and god damn is that game racist as hell

like, it's a story about awful people in the 40s and 50s and those characters are racist. and, yeah, sure.

but it's every single choice regarding npcs and minor characters and the dialogue and all the black and asian characters read their lines basically in a minstrel voice and there's a sinister moneylender character who is modelled to look pretty much like a fucking harry potter goblin. Every single asian character seems to have the same face model straight out of a fucking propaganda poster.

it makes a lot of the "hey, here's a racist song from the 50s on the radio" feel a lot less like a comment on the era and more like a celebration

i'd picked up on this a bit the first times i'd played this but god damn

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    So I went through the itch.io Racial Justice and Equality bundle with the intention of playing something that I hadn't heard of before, so I downloaded And All Would Cry Beware! by Tales of the Renegade Sector. Turns out it's pretty good! It's a fairly simple fps with a fun visual style that conveys a straightforward sci-fi story that takes you to an alien world full of geometric beings ready to bludgeon your colonizing ass to death. You can finish it out in a couple of hours. I recommend it!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    so, i booted up mafia 2 because of the remastered edition and god damn is that game racist as hell

like, it's a story about awful people in the 40s and 50s and those characters are racist. and, yeah, sure.

but it's every single choice regarding npcs and minor characters and the dialogue and all the black and asian characters read their lines basically in a minstrel voice and there's a sinister moneylender character who is modelled to look pretty much like a fucking harry potter goblin. Every single asian character seems to have the same face model straight out of a fucking propaganda poster.

it makes a lot of the "hey, here's a racist song from the 50s on the radio" feel a lot less like a comment on the era and more like a celebration

That's kind of surprising to hear considering how much killing racists is core to Mafia III.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

I wasn't totally feeling it until I unlocked the Umbra. These freaks are so fun to play, especially if you the double consume artifact.

the umbra champion incredibly bad

the minions and the whole morsel effect are good though

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

I had a similar experience when I tried to play Mafia II recently. The first "job" you do in the game involves your character stealing a car from the Black part of town and it includes several characters sharing their feelings about Black people, including the extensive use of an Italian-language slur. I bounced after that mission and haven't felt a compulsion to go back. Apparently it doesn't get any better, which is very disappointing.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

It didn't fully click for me until I hit my first, "Hahaha, this fuckin' combo of units and upgrades let me destroy the final boss in one turn"

It is so goddamn smart of the designers to go, "What did people like best in Slay the Spire? Breaking the game. What if we made a game where breaking it was the point?"

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2020
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I got the Umbra champion up above 600 attack once or twice so I'm not going to shit talk it. I think more than the others it sinks or swims based on how well you synergize with it. Even if you just go for big body options it's better than the candle dude, though.

A duck! on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Candle dude? Oh you mean candleja

• Options

I got the Umbra champion up above 600 attack once or twice so I'm not going to shit talk it. I think more than the others it sinks or swims based on how well you synergize with it. Even if you just go for big body options it's better than the candle dude, though.

rector becomes probably the best starting champion at the higher difficulties

shit gets wild

• Options
    also, okami update

oh so this is zelda, but instead you're a very good boy with a great kami body-jacking you

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Playing C&C remaster. They nailed the "this is how I remember the game looking" look without actually making it look like pixilated smudge.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Reform works with morsels.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Yeah. And you don't actually have to download it. You just have to click the download button next to the thing you want on the list they send you and it will add it to your library.

clicking the download button to go to the download page then back buttoning to the full list keeps your place and adds it to your real list, also

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular

clicking the download button to go to the download page then back buttoning to the full list keeps your place and adds it to your real list, also

That still sounds pretty tedious, but then again they probably never thought they were going to release a bundle this big.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

The only thing that could be considered a total success on the first day was collecting enough bottles and cans to trade in so he could buy a pack of smokes.

Does this mean the body is no longer in the tree?

• Options
    edited June 2020

Does this mean the body is no longer in the tree?
    It is out of the tree. My guy barfed three times and then, by some miracle, managed to shoot it down.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping they pull an Ubisoft and keep supporting the game until it succeeds, their publisher sure has the cash to do so. I'm really digging the game, it's the mix of MOBA and shooter that really clicks for me as it's nice to play a competitive shooter where TTK isn't measured in fractions of a second now that I'm no longer a teen.

• Options
    I just got 69 seconds in Super Hexagon. I have won.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I just got 69 seconds in Super Hexagon. I have won.

It just means you need to get 420 next.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    spent a significant amount of time yesterday playing Dishonored.

I normally play these things without murdering, but I think I might kill the main targets. No reason to murder my way through the dudes just doing their job ...
    unless the Heart is trustworthy and the game gives some guards unique thoughts. Because I might want to murder the dude who will "kill twice more before taking his own life."

more general thoughts:
    - [eta] I think I really like the mana system. Effectively infinite if you're patient, and plenty of potions if you're not.
    - the unconscious bodies seem to vanish semi-randomly.
    - it's not unique to this game, but a pair of gang members murdered a third, and then "discovered" the body, blaming it on a "prowler." I suppose I could rationalize this.
    - NPCs don't seem to react to distractions particularly well. It worked a couple of times, but in other cases they'll barely investigate.
    - the levels are much more expansive than I would have expected.
    I poisoned the bootleg elixir, which seems like a really bad idea. I'm sure this Granny Rags character wouldn't lead me astray and besides I got a rune out of the deal.

the runes seem strange to me. The superficial reading is "killing the whales is bad" but then the runes are made of whale bone.
    - the sword is in the right hand, the spell/pistol/crossbow is in the left. Why on Earth does RMB use the latter and LMB the former?
    - there was a lady on the dock who had a neat bit of world-building in her half-mumbled conversation to herself ... and then a maid said the exact same thing.
    - there's at least the attempt at some variety to NPC idle chatter, but the responses don't mesh very well
    - there are some maps of the areas, but there's no map button. So I guess I'll grab a screenshot and go from there.
    - I'm a bit torn on the whole 'convert to cash on pick-up' thing.
    - Fairly surprised that Corvo has no voice. It's neither good nor bad; just not what I would have expected given Arx and Dark Messiah.

Overall it's gelling a lot more this time around.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm a ways into Chapter 3 of RDR2 now. Really enjoying all the gang members more all the time. Like even Micah, who I think is terrible, I still like doing stuff with him because his writing and VA work is so good. The one exception is probably the Reverend just because he keeps coming up to me in camp and saying the same thing and it's getting irritating.

John is actually one of the ones I like least. He isn't around much and when he is he's often being kind of a jerk. Interested to see if his character changes much before the end.

Can't wait to get all sad when inevitably all the characters I like end up dying somehow.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    also, okami update

oh so this is zelda, but instead you're a very good boy with a great kami body-jacking you

very good girl actually and no that IS the kami's body. why wouldn't a god choose to be an adorable doggo

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    spent a significant amount of time yesterday playing Dishonored.

- the unconscious bodies seem to vanish semi-randomly
    Apparently that's a performance issue, the game will clear out older ones when there's too many in order to keep memory consumption down.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    . . .
    Him: 'Well, I'm still enjoying it, and I only have a couple of test chambers left, so I'm pretty close to the end by now."

I asked him how he'd got on, and he said (spoilers for portal 1, if anyone hasn't played it yet):
    "I guess I'm in the insides of Aperture Science now? Also there was no cake. There was fire. I was disappointed."

And now I have heard "Still Alive" entirely too many times. (I mean, it's a great song and all, but his tolerance for repetition is a lot higher than mine)

remember

G6nhhuV.jpg

this comic

Ohhhh delicioussss oh surcease of sorrow

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    STOP

QUOTING IT!

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I have such a dread craving now.......

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

The Umbra champion on the monstrous path seems fine, just toss him on floor 1 and basically yolokill half of the trash mobs while your upper floors are morsel-factories to fight the boss

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    . . .

remember

G6nhhuV.jpg

this comic

Only the first week?

I remember it being a lot longer than a week

This discussion has been closed.