As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Kamigawa; where Keanu plays some sort of Cyborg Rat Ninja

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    It was BG with green ramp (Gift of Paradise, That 2G M21 card), black removal, M21 1BB tutor for a card lose 3 life, Underworld Dreams, Peer into the Abyss.

I'm going to have to craft a deck that punishes people for not playing with me.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    This is why I love Gemrazer. It’s enchantment/artifact hate that’s also a hell of a beater.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    This is why I love Gemrazer. It’s enchantment/artifact hate that’s also a hell of a beater.

Yeah i'm running a "budget" green monsters deck with Mutate creatures to fill in some spots. So far having Gemrazer with Migratory Greathorn and a couple Auspicious Starrix' really pays off, especially when you plop it on to a Stonecoil Serpent.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    :/
    I think I hate M21.
    Another non-interactive ramp/boardwipe deck with Peer into the Abyss (+Dreams) as the wincon.
    weeee

>.>

This sounds like my jam, what's this deck? And does it have ugin in it? It definitely has ugin in it, right?

(I love Ugin, he was the first card I pulled in a paper draft years ago and I'm so happy he's reprinted)

guessing something like this:
    https://youtu.be/TkmNKZzlgaM

• Options
    Man. I was actually enjoying MTG for a hot minute there.
    And now I'm back to not.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Man. I was actually enjoying MTG for a hot minute there.
    And now I'm back to not.

I've been having some pretty reasonable fun in Historic. I just kinda drop dinosaurs and turn them sideways.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    I play some jank decks when I am not having fun. The latest is a song of creation combo with teferi's tutelage.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I'm finding I play a lot more Historic or Brawl now than Standard, much better range of decks you encounter so I don't get annoyed running into the same decks all the time.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Yeah i'm running a "budget" green monsters deck with Mutate creatures to fill in some spots. So far having Gemrazer with Migratory Greathorn and a couple Auspicious Starrix' really pays off, especially when you plop it on to a Stonecoil Serpent.

Both Gemrazer and Starrix are really good cards. Gemrazer is a good all arounder that can apply pressure and break up deck combos, and Starrix is brutal when it fires.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    I'm finding I play a lot more Historic or Brawl now than Standard, much better range of decks you encounter so I don't get annoyed running into the same decks all the time.

This is a pretty natural cycle for Standard. You get real into it, then a few sets come out and not much changes, so you stop grinding Standard to focus on limited/casual/bigger formats. A set comes out that dramatically changes Standard and you get back in.

Are things particularly bad right now? Yes. But assuming you're going to be hype about Standard 100% of the time is the best way to burn out on Magic.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Take Teferi out and I'd be good and happy. But to me the current meta is polarized between Teferi lovers and haters.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    You take Teferi out of Standard and everyone's just going to be running nothing but counter spells.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    You take Teferi out of Standard and everyone's just going to be running nothing but counter spells.

Eh, to me it feels like meta wouldn't change that much. 3feri is more used for the instabounce in my games anyway. It's always 3feri, bounce something, Uro, repeat.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I do feel like the only time T3feri sticks around very long is in control mirrors or against Temur Rec. Or if it’s played in conjunction with a board wipe.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    I do feel like the only time T3feri sticks around very long is in control mirrors or against Temur Rec. Or if it’s played in conjunction with a board wipe.

Don't forget that it kills flash decks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    sorry not sorry. My Cycling deck is working its way through Standard Ranked and going quite well so far. Trying out some Marmosets for added punch over just straight Cycling.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Man, imagine playing that in cardboard.

• Options
    Is that in....brawl?

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Is that in....brawl?

Historic

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Used my free draft token to try a Bo3 M21 draft since Bo1 has been breaking my face.
    x4pbfjdvbz6c.png

I have never had more fun with a 2-1 run. The G3 I lost (r2) was mostly due to drawing a million lands.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Sometimes I wish there was a "I don't want to play blue or red right now" queue for the game, there will be evenings when its just "Blue/Red instants" again and again and again and again, and, like, sure, I've got a deck for fighting that but I really wanted to have some big fights with big races to big creatures and oddball removal saving the day at the last minute.

And of course, don't get me started on peer into the abyss...

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I've just transplanted my deck straight into historic Bo1, and it plays so much better there against the not Peer into the Abyss decks.

Like I thought there'd be more flying goat -> Irencrag -> star of destruction T5 for a 20/20, but no.

discrider on
  • Options
    I had someone play Peer Into The Abyss while Underworld Dreams was in play as their finisher. I was playing my Cycling deck. All I really needed was another Zenith Flare to win.

I had a brain fart and let them win even though I could have played a Flare with Dreams triggers on the stack.

• Options
    Damnit, people! I don't WANT to rank up, please read what the cards do and don't attack with a 4 damage knight into my Phyrexian Obliterator and then concede!

• Options
    I'm getting tired of the matchmaking algorithm, too. I see way too many Gruul Riot decks.

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm getting tired of the matchmaking algorithm, too. I see way too many Gruul Riot decks.

Switch your deck! Fight an endless sea of some other same-deck bullshit!

I see a lot of aggro but I guess I'm happy the deck I enjoy doesn't match me against endless Uro Ramp?

• Options
    If you're playing Ranked your weird matchup streaks are entirely bad/good luck.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Does the draft match maker put you up against decks with a similar record? It always seems to get more difficult after a win or two.

• Options
    Does the draft match maker put you up against decks with a similar record? It always seems to get more difficult after a win or two.

Yep. It factors in your rank as well but you're not gonna face an 0-2 deck at 6-0 just because the 0-2 player is also Silver.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    If you're playing Ranked your weird matchup streaks are entirely bad/good luck.

Or oversaturation in your server area, I gather. My servers seem to be significantly overpopulated with Yorion control stuff. I am very happy I put in all those Ceratopses.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    So I’m completely new to magic, been playing arena a bit, and traded in arena codes from decks I had bought around Xmas (Gideon oathsworn and another Chandra one). I was having fun for a bit on the generic ‘play’ playlist but since the weekend I’m getting matched against more and more try hard decks and I’m not having much fun.

I’ve made some small tweaks to the deck (Gideon’s) with the cards I got from npe and boosters. But I’ve been feeling stuck, and magic players in other parts haven’t been terribly helpful. The deck pointers I’ve gotten have been mostly to trash the whole deck archetype and replace it with meta optimized stuff (which I don’t have) or to play historic in mtga. But it seems like historic would be an even bigger hurdle for me against an even wider set of high tier decks I don’t understand.

Idk, should I even keep playing? It’s a game where I can’t figure out how I’m supposed to improve when I hop in a game and if I don’t win by turn 3 with perfect draw I’ll be buried in mythics

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Honestly historic has far wider deck variance and you can have a lot of fun with jank in it. Like I run Gruul Trample Dinos, or Temur Genesis BigBois, as well as Vito Vamps and they are super fun and nowhere near meta worthy.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    So I’m completely new to magic, been playing arena a bit, and traded in arena codes from decks I had bought around Xmas (Gideon oathsworn and another Chandra one). I was having fun for a bit on the generic ‘play’ playlist but since the weekend I’m getting matched against more and more try hard decks and I’m not having much fun.

I’ve made some small tweaks to the deck (Gideon’s) with the cards I got from npe and boosters. But I’ve been feeling stuck, and magic players in other parts haven’t been terribly helpful. The deck pointers I’ve gotten have been mostly to trash the whole deck archetype and replace it with meta optimized stuff (which I don’t have) or to play historic in mtga. But it seems like historic would be an even bigger hurdle for me against an even wider set of high tier decks I don’t understand.

Idk, should I even keep playing? It’s a game where I can’t figure out how I’m supposed to improve when I hop in a game and if I don’t win by turn 3 with perfect draw I’ll be buried in mythics

If you post your deck here people will be better about helping you optimize what you're capable of building around, but of course there's only so much optimization you can get without more cards.

It's definitely tricky and I don't have an easy answer for you. Without a larger collection you'll be frustrated in every format -- that is just a fact. You could try fiddling with other formats like Historic or Brawl (Brawl is actually quite fun and you'll face a wide variety of opposing decks) and saving your gold to play Draft when you can. Bouncing around is a good way to ease the frustration and stay interested.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I know when building decks I have a habit of diluting it with responses to specific other things. Like I'll go okay

Here's 4 sweepers for aggro
    Here's 4 target removal for bad creatures
    Dont forget some pw and enchantment hate
    Oh but I also need some revival for my good cards
    And what about card draw? I need that

And suddenly I only have 12 slots left for the cards I actually want. When in reality I can get by with a stack of Mortify and let Sorin4 bring back what I need

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    in reality I can get by with a stack of Mortify and let 4in bring back what I need

• Options
    I play nothing but whatever jank I come up with based on what new cards I get and end up ranking up on accident in Historotic.

Granted I've played since launch so have more options to support my crap deck, but eventually you'll get there too if you just play 1 game a day.

• Options
    Don't forget the codes for free packs.

https://magicarena.fandom.com/wiki/Codes

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Yeah Historic doesn't have a tuned meta game list like standard so it's a lot more jank friendly and people generally go in to it trying to build a fun deck they haven't tried rather than something built only to grind. Although those damn Ulamog or Phyrexian decks can be a pain at times.
    Just remember, the Jank lord demands that any deck have at least two Gaea's Blessings, Settle the Wreckages and Immortal Suns.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    I think my Cycling deck needs a bit more speed. I have marmosets in there but I'm still missing some staples (footfall crater, for example). And I'm debating dropping the Rescuers even though they help clog up the board