As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Kamigawa; where Keanu plays some sort of Cyborg Rat Ninja

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I saw someone got Elves + Elves in I guess some sort of randomizer(?) for Jumpstart and the deck looked bonkers.

I'm trying to speed up the starting Vamps deck, and even moving away from vampires tribal to do it. Unfortunately, most of the Monoblack Aggro lists I find will require me to use a number of wildcards.

At this point I just want a Monoblack deck that has a fighting chance when I'm doing some quest grinding. Does anyone have anything they like?

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    I had a mono-black drain deck that did ok day one of the meta, but the 3 drop slot was clogged to all hell.

Deck
    4 Cauldron Familiar (ELD) 81
    21 Swamp (IKO) 268
    4 Serrated Scorpion (IKO) 99
    2 Orzhov Enforcer (RNA) 79
    3 Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA) 83
    1 Tymaret, Chosen from Death (THB) 119
    4 Bastion of Remembrance (IKO) 73
    1 Ayara, First of Locthwain (ELD) 75
    1 Woe Strider (THB) 123
    4 Call of the Death-Dweller (IKO) 78
    4 Archfiend's Vessel (M21) 88
    3 Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose (M21) 127
    4 Witch's Oven (ELD) 237
    3 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
    1 Dreadhorde Invasion (WAR) 86

It's mostly just a collection of the rares I had lying around. I did craft 2 vito because he seemed fun. You can do things like drop woe strider for village rites and priest for some targeted removal if you don't have the rares.

The good news is cat + oven is 0 rares. After that the deck is just trying to do a combination of making cat oven faster and not die.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    So far I've done Dinos+4 Power and Reanimate + White +1/+1 counters and both were a blast. I really think these are fun and interesting psuedo-precons. The lands are pretty cool too. My only gripe is not having a way to win and turn those wins into more jumpstart.

As a paper commander player, it's also making me wish I was playing with my friends :(

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Also apparently most of us missed a typo in the store yesterday, where the borderless PW packs were cheaper gold than gems.

Has anyone sprung for the Adventurer pack? I'm debating it just because I can use the gems to buy the full art lands.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    They need some kind of casual queue for playing your old Jumpstart decks. I’ve got a nice Lilliana/Devils deck going and I’m torn between playing it more and trying something new.

Yes, I know you can save the decks, and I have, but I want to play it against other Jumpstarts, not the general constructed queue.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    I made it to Mythic in limited for the first time. Well chuffed with myself
    jtlulrez63hq.jpeg

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I stopped playing somewhere around War of the Spark/Eldraine, but I was briefly tempted back by Jumpstart.

Either my draws were real bad, or I suspect the Angel/Devil combo, while thematically pleasing, just isn't very good practically.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    I stopped playing somewhere around War of the Spark/Eldraine, but I was briefly tempted back by Jumpstart.

Either my draws were real bad, or I suspect the Angel/Devil combo, while thematically pleasing, just isn't very good practically.

some packs are great. some are trash. if you get two trash packs you're gonna have a bad time.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »

some packs are great. some are trash. if you get two trash packs you're gonna have a bad time.

Is there a tier list to be found somewhere? It'd be nice to know if I decide to give it another go.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »

Is there a tier list to be found somewhere? It'd be nice to know if I decide to give it another go.

The packs themselves have variance, so while some may be presumed better than others overall, I think J was really just saying "even if you pick two packs that should be good when combined, you might just roll shitty packs."

Regardless, you can't lose out, you can only struggle to win.

• Options
    That's me in constructed ranked. Can't push through Silver 1

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    zusspo0mtbnl.png
    Is this the developer/admin avatar? I'm playing Jump Start and every single opponent has this.

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    You get that avatar from buying the adventurer bundle in the store. It's a good deal as it's $15 for roughly $20 worth of gems and a lot of people have bought it.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    oh, ok, so it's just whales fishing for that phyrexian swamp.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Really having a lot of fun with jumpstart, although I can see their devious ruse here.

Jumpstart is lots of fun, so I want to pay my gold to play it.

Drafting offline with friends is also lots of fun, but I need my wildcards to make it work to import my decks.

If I spend all my gold on Jumpstart, I wont open any packs with wildcards in them so I won't have any.

So now when I draft offline I'll need to like, buy gems and then open like 40 packs at once to get enough wildcards? Curse you Wizards and your efforts to lure me in with fun alternative content!

I guess I can't really be mad. Jumpstart is good, but, it's just a lot more fun to play a round of jumpstart than pop 2 packs. Maybe once I've done it like 20 times or something and seen a lot of the combos.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Really having a lot of fun with jumpstart, although I can see their devious ruse here.

Drafting offline with friends is also lots of fun, but I need my wildcards to make it work to import my decks.

If I spend all my gold on Jumpstart, I wont open any packs with wildcards in them so I won't have any.

So now when I draft offline I'll need to like, buy gems and then open like 40 packs at once to get enough wildcards? Curse you Wizards and your efforts to lure me in with fun alternative content!

I guess I can't really be mad. Jumpstart is good, but, it's just a lot more fun to play a round of jumpstart than pop 2 packs. Maybe once I've done it like 20 times or something and seen a lot of the combos.

Well you could always take those Jumpstart cards and build a Constructed Historic deck.

• Options
    I bought the Adventurer bundle and used the gems to buy the full art lands. I don't mind spending money on cards that I use in every deck.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Playing this in Historic right now. Man, it's a mean deck. I can almost hear my opponent punch their desk.
    j09mn0wdq0kl.png
    It's obviously janky, and i need to reduce the number of big creatures and buy Chaos Warps and one more Lukka

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Well you could always take those Jumpstart cards and build a Constructed Historic deck.

Jumpstart appears to have made elves and goblins into legitimately viable decks now.

I had a Jumpstart earlier today that I got Milling Wizards for. That thing felt absolutely filthy to play.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

The draft my friends run is where you 'virtually open' packs with friends in a website (you can pick any set you can buy on MTGA to draft) and then you import your deck into MTGA, finish it by adding lands, removing stuff you don't want and sideboarding, and then you 'finish the deck' by buying any cards you don't have with wildcards. It's great, and providing you play regularly and don't spend your wildcards you can do it once a week or so with the wildcards you unlock. By spending the gold I earn during play of other modes on jumpstart rather than packs, I don't get so many wildcards, and so won't be able to draft so much.

Although, the thing does have an option to import your 'card list' and then it builds a draft environment for you out of cards that everyone has. I guess we can do that, although, it can be kinda stupid sometimes in the draft environment it builds.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Sprout wrote: »

Jumpstart appears to have made elves and goblins into legitimately viable decks now.

I had a Jumpstart earlier today that I got Milling Wizards for. That thing felt absolutely filthy to play.
    Elves were plenty viable before Jumpstart, but now that they got Hoof and Allosaurus Shepherd, forget about it.

edit:
    man, the god of Jank is pleased with me today
    3r5nlnpxi6e7.jpg

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Got to Plat with my janky Mardu Winota Deck

Doges and Humans

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Yeah, it used to be that Historic was where I went to enjoy deck variety, but now in Platinum at least the field is about 75% goblins and elves.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    I'm still Gold 4 but I'm enjoying myself. I really really really hate the matchmaking system.

I still hate mill.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I'm in Diamond and it's either RDW (rarely) or ramp into Ugin.
    Starting to feel like I should concede as soon as someone plays the UG draw card, play land instant.

Like the variation is that I saw a RG ramp into Ugin, which used the RG dude who gets power based on lands played.

discrider on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I learned that the Scapeshift/Field of the Dead combo deck that I briefly loved before Golos Field took over the format is viable in Historic so I took my first poke at the format. I've seen a variety of decks so far, but I only just hit Gold. It was sweet to be able to start playing Historic by spending zero Rare/Mythic wildcards, so I'd say the format is doing its job.

• Options
    I want to try a monogreen aggro without using rare or mythic WCs but that seems like it can't happen.

Also I thoroughly enjoyed a game last night where my opponent was trying to use Scavenging Ooze on my GY but it was filled with spells because I was playing mono-red.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Heres my current list:

Its kinda thrown together but its fun.

Deck
    4 Alpine Watchdog (M21) 2

2 Selfless Savior (M21) 36
    4 Alpine Houndmaster (M21) 215
    3 General's Enforcer (IKO) 188
    1 General Kudro of Drannith (IKO) 187
    3 Igneous Cur (M21) 153
    2 Judith, the Scourge Diva (RNA) 185
    2 Tajic, Legion's Edge (GRN) 204
    2 Kenrith, the Returned King (ELD) 303
    2 Embercleave (ELD) 120
    4 Winota, Joiner of Forces (IKO) 216
    1 Robber of the Rich (ELD) 138
    4 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
    1 Rankle, Master of Pranks (ELD) 101
    1 Giant Killer (ELD) 14

4 Savai Triome (IKO) 253
    4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
    2 Plains (IKO) 262
    2 Mountain (IKO) 271
    1 Swamp (THB) 283
    4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
    3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
    4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254

Sideboard
    2 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
    4 Justice Strike (GRN) 182
    1 Rankle, Master of Pranks (ELD) 101
    4 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
    1 Embercleave (ELD) 120
    2 Phoenix of Ash (THB) 148
    1 Soul Sear (M21) 160

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Did I kill the thread?

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Did I kill the thread?

That is certainly a collection of magic cards. There's not much more to say about it, it's a bunch of powerful cards but not likely to win much against the more focused meta decks. The current format isn't really about midrange value creatures with synergies. That doesn't mean that you can't play it or have fun but there's not too much to say otherwise.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think there's just not much Arena chatter because it's been a while since M21 came out and Standard is pretty boring right now.

• Options
    Even Historic is fucked with everyone playing nothing but Goblins.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    As someone who is a New Account but absolutely not a new player, working my way through the "collection unlocking" tasks has been exceedingly tedious.

I'm assuming there's some function of the matchmaker that has me largely isolated from the greater pool of sharks, and just finds other New Accounts for me to bash Gruul Goobers with?

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Oooooor.... People are just playing Magic instead of posting here!

I am having fun with the deck that you posted @nexuscrawler
    I don't have bonecrusher giants for some reason so I used Legion Warbosses to replace those cards.

This deck really beats on slowish deck strategies it feels like. I have yet to face rdw though.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Standard is pretty boring right now.

What makes you say that?

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Over 50% of the field at the Players’ Tour Finals is playing either Temur or Four-Color Reclamation. So yeah, it’s gonna be rough.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I'm honestly just playing this mashup format instead of constructed.
    2k entry, play Resurrection Chandra forever.

I'd be attempting to make an Unmoored Ego/new zombie ego/ashiok deck to just get rid of all the stupid repetitive standard cards, but that'd be too many rares

discrider on
  • Options
    Those of you who hit lvl 80 last time: did you do any more beyond getting your 15 wins and doing quests/whatever?

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Just came back from vacation and bought into the jumpstart event.
    I picked teferi en Liliana hopefully it will mash well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Those of you who hit lvl 80 last time: did you do any more beyond getting your 15 wins and doing quests/whatever?
    I did the daily quests and the weekly ones and got there with a few days to spare.

steam_sig.png