Options

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    All the reviews I've read say the game length halves after your first game. So maybe give it one more try? That said, I bet the market for copies of booming so if you bounced off it, then selling it on shouldn't be hard

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Also worth noting that none of my answers came from an FAQ — they’re all just based on reading the Law. The Law and the cards are very specific about what you can do and when you can do it, so if they don’t mention something it almost certainly means you can’t do it.

Terms like “favor bank” and abilities like Battle Plans have very specific definitions and conditions that trigger them.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My friends gave me Coup, and my first dice set for my birthday.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    All the reviews I've read say the game length halves after your first game. So maybe give it one more try? That said, I bet the market for copies of booming so if you bounced off it, then selling it on shouldn't be hard

Not my call, probably. I'm in the same situation as I was for Root I think. Not convinced they're wrong to dislike a game but not disliking the game myself.

One guy was super suspicious before we even got started, on the grounds that under certain circumstances you roll a d6 to see if somebody wins for a game as long as Oath
    admanb wrote: »
    Also worth noting that none of my answers came from an FAQ — they’re all just based on reading the Law. The Law and the cards are very specific about what you can do and when you can do it, so if they don’t mention something it almost certainly means you can’t do it.

Terms like “favor bank” and abilities like Battle Plans have very specific definitions and conditions that trigger them.

Interesting! We looked hard for some of these answers, and the shared supply that's not a favor bank is referred to as the shared bank in the rules

I was very deliberately draining the money supply by repeatedly using the "take 4 from any bank or banks" and "take 1 from any bank" advisors and then holding the money or getting banished or putting it on the banner of people's favor. I think I had to put $2 into the arcane bank every time i traded for two secrets, and i dumped my people's favor coin into nomad occasionally, but i kept all the other banks empty most of the time

If that permanently removes money from the supply, I think it was an unfortunate mechanic to see in our first game because it looked to several people like bad design and fun management, that i can drain these pools and then nobody has any money and can't get any by playing an advisor or trading

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular

I was very deliberately draining the money supply by repeatedly using the "take 4 from any bank or banks" and "take 1 from any bank"

Yeah, I've pulled this one before. It's a good way to make people not like a game.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Dark White wrote: »

I was very deliberately draining the money supply by repeatedly using the "take 4 from any bank or banks" and "take 1 from any bank"

Yeah, I've pulled this one before. It's a good way to make people not like a game.

I can't believe they put that one in the tutorial!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, players have a lot of control over the economy in Oath, but it’s not like there’s nothing the other players could do to stop you. They could destroy the denizen or advisor you’re using to buy secrets or just punch you in the face and make you drop half your money. The former depend on the cards in play but the latter is always an option.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh hey neat, speaking of card games getting new core sets, there's a new Doomtown one coming.

https://pineboxentertainment.com/2021/07/01/announcing-doomtown-weird-west-edition/

There's going to be a bunch of rules work being done, as well as new co-op and solo scenarios for you to play with. They're also going to be rotating a lot of the old cards out of Standard to make it easier to get into. (Basically just the "new" stuff, starting with the steamer trunk that was There Comes a Reckoning will be legal.)

...oh god starting to regret having packed everything into the Reckoning box.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Yeah, players have a lot of control over the economy in Oath, but it’s not like there’s nothing the other players could do to stop you. They could destroy the denizen or advisor you’re using to buy secrets or just punch you in the face and make you drop half your money. The former depend on the cards in play but the latter is always an option.

The issue we ran into is that punching me in the face to destroy half my money doesn't put the money back into the favor banks, only into the shared pool. They could have outraced me, I think, but they couldn't have stopped me from destroying the money supply. I always would have had time to travel anywhere on the map, trade once, remove 5 favor from the banks of my choice. If they could have prevented there from being any arcane denizens on the board they could have slowed down my secrets gain, but I only need 1 denizen that matches 1 advisor to trade a secret and nuke a secret

How do you destroy a denizen once it is face up next to a site? Via a card power like the "destroy beast or nomad denizen for $2" denizen?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2021

The issue we ran into is that punching me in the face to destroy half my money doesn't put the money back into the favor banks, only into the shared pool. They could have outraced me, I think, but they couldn't have stopped me from destroying the money supply. I always would have had time to travel anywhere on the map, trade once, remove 5 favor from the banks of my choice. If they could have prevented there from being any arcane denizens on the board they could have slowed down my secrets gain, but I only need 1 denizen that matches 1 advisor to trade a secret and nuke a secret

How do you destroy a denizen once it is face up next to a site? Via a card power like the "destroy beast or nomad denizen for $2" denizen?

The holder of the People's Favor allows them to discard a card at a site when playing to a site. Then, there's a variety of Denizens that can discard or move other cards at sites.

However, it is possible to just corner the game's economy sometimes. There has to be some level of tolerance for: "Oh, you put together this pretty impenetrable combo, you win, gg - Let's set up and play again."

I get that that could make this game a dealbreaker to some people/groups, but that's just how it is.

Dark White on
    jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited July 2021

The holder of the People's Favor allows them to discard a card at a site when playing to a site. Then, there's a variety of Denizens that can discard or move other cards at sites.

However, it is possible to just corner the game's economy sometimes. There has to be some level of tolerance for: "Oh, you put together this pretty impenetrable combo, you win, gg - Let's set up and play again."

I get that that could make this game a dealbreaker to some people/groups, but that's just how it is.

Man I'm just trying to say admanb is wrong that there was a way for them to stop me. It sounds like you agree, even.

I'm asking questions about the rules after playing through my first time! Nobody is going to give up early on the first play through a new celebrated game and if they did i don't think we'd get it to the table again. It's way too long on the first night to stop partway through and play a whole second game

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I shouldn't have said "stop" you, but rather "work against" or "slow down." We can't make a declaration one way or another because your options in Oath are determined by every card on the board, the deck, etc. It does sound like you hit on a strong combo and had the board and advisor state to make it durable. That's the kind of situation where other players might band together to mitigate your advantage or push for another win con that could be done faster.

but that's the kind of game that Oath is and it's pretty up-front about it.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I shouldn't have said "stop" you, but rather "work against" or "slow down." We can't make a declaration one way or another because your options in Oath are determined by every card on the board, the deck, etc. It does sound like you hit on a strong combo and had the board and advisor state to make it durable. That's the kind of situation where other players might band together to mitigate your advantage or push for another win con that could be done faster.

but that's the kind of game that Oath is and it's pretty up-front about it.

I think they could have stopped me from winning, just not from emptying the favor banks - I don't think my combo was overpowered

The counter to "somebody is running all of the money out of the game" seemed to be "go win while they're not winning" instead of "prevent them from running all the money out of the game"

As it was i think the guy who started as chancellor had a 1-in-3 die roll for the win right before i won

Probably they also could have let the money run out and effortfully protected the darkest secret banner and i would have been delayed long enough that i lost or had to accept citizenship

sig.gif
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I wonder if they have more info about their sustainability practice. That'd be interesting to see. After working in an LGS for a year i'm pretty sure everything is shrink wrap

• Options
    Apparently there is a second edition of Sherrif of Nottingham in Barnes and Noble.

And now there isn't because I have it.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    From what I’ve seen oath has some absurd combos and as games go on there might be board states where it is near impossible to get money redistributed. Sometimes you’ll sit down for three hours and sometimes the exile will win on his third turn. That was pretty funny.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    From what I’ve seen oath has some absurd combos and as games go on there might be board states where it is near impossible to get money redistributed. Sometimes you’ll sit down for three hours and sometimes the exile will win on his third turn. That was pretty funny.

wow!

sig.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Finally, FINALLY got Power Rangers: Heroes of the Grid to the table.

We did everything we could to play right, and even then it was like.. holy shit, barely keeping up levels of trouble. There were 5 of us, and we shuffled the decks as we should and had a few areas panic, but we managed to take on the Putty Patrol, Super Putty Patrol, Bones, Pumpkin Rapper, and Rita. No deaths! We just played the vanilla ass rangers too.

The thing that quickly became apparent to me was how important teamwork was. Knowing everyone's ability and what their deck is built to do was a must - Which isn't hard, 10 cards + zord and ranger card give plenty of info. I was just shocked at how everyone contributed in different ways, with energy building and then hard hitting slams from Zack and Jason laying down a crucial blow at an important moment and then Billy stacking everyone's decks as best he could and Trini charging the energy while Kimberly sniped...

It just all flowed. And yet we always felt on a razor's edge. Especially against the boss.

Yup. I'm gonna need to play more of this.

That said?

The minis are 100% pointless! But man, do they add a lot of board presence. And a lot of shuffling of the foot soldiers!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Glory to Rome is a card game that is all about building up absurd broken combos and is a lot of fun for that. But it also is about the same length as Race for the Galaxy and I don't think that kind of variance works at all well with a longer game.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    edit: wrong thread

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    I played tobago and via nebula last night! Tobago was miserable, my luck was super bad. Via nebula was great? Maybe it was just the company and music but i had a ton of fun. Final scores 22-22-23-24. My friend bought it because it was cheap and made by Martin Wallace.

sig.gif
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I played tobago and via nebula last night! Tobago was miserable, my luck was super bad. Via nebula was great? Maybe it was just the company and music but i had a ton of fun. Final scores 22-22-23-24. My friend bought it because it was cheap and made by Martin Wallace.

I own Tobago but I would trade it for Cryptid in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    I love Brass: Birmingham. Do I need Tinner's Trail?

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I love Brass: Birmingham. Do I need Tinner's Trail?

Apparently nobody needs Tinner's Trail from what I've heard. It's like a worse, more random Brass

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Good to know

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    I just tried to buy Fort after what Nova_C said and Super Fantasy Brawl and Steampunk Fusion Rally based on what @dashui said and all 3 are out of stock! I haven't bought a new game in ages and I can't find one to buy. Even Cthulhu Wars is out of stock

sig.gif
  • Options
    nwrabenwrabe Insidious Squid Registered User regular
    I just tried to buy Fort after what Nova_C said and Super Fantasy Brawl and Steampunk Fusion Rally based on what @dashui said and all 3 are out of stock! I haven't bought a new game in ages and I can't find one to buy. Even Cthulhu Wars is out of stock

I don’t know how you feel about online retailers and shipping costs to wherever you are, but Steampunk Rally Fusion is on sale at Funagain Games and Miniature Market this weekend.

• Options
    nwrabe wrote: »
    I just tried to buy Fort after what Nova_C said and Super Fantasy Brawl and Steampunk Fusion Rally based on what dashui said and all 3 are out of stock! I haven't bought a new game in ages and I can't find one to buy. Even Cthulhu Wars is out of stock

I don’t know how you feel about online retailers and shipping costs to wherever you are, but Steampunk Rally Fusion is on sale at Funagain Games and Miniature Market this weekend.

!!!

sig.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Finally, my local store got in the TI4 expansion organizers. Yay. :D

BNkxGROh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Oh dear, Sheriff of Nottingham is such a delight. I came in last place because I can't lie and am easily lied to. And my friends, who play a lot of DnD, played their roles as sheriff/skechy merchant really well.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Finally, my local store got in the TI4 expansion organizers. Yay. :D

BNkxGROh.jpg

Folded Space make lovely stuff

• Options
    Good news: Everything fits in the core box! It took a bit of time to figure out the jigsaw, and there is a little bit of box lift, but.. well, it's a fucking packed box, soooo...

Bad news: My premium components can't fit in there anymore. Which I figured would be the case, so it's not unexpected and not a real problem. But my fleet stands and deluxe rulebook need to go somewhere else.

1OMhN86h.jpg

Now I need to decide what to do with my extra Prophecy of Kings. See, Asmodee changed their returns policy to forcing the store to handle it, and the 1st printing of PoK had some HORRIBLE color matching on the system tiles. So my store set aside a 2nd printing copy for me and 1 other person, then gave it to me free of charge. So I have 2 PoK's, with the second unopened except for the system tiles which I swapped with the old ones.

The other person who got a replacement is selling their spare parts on the used board game shelf of the local store, so I don't want to do that. Shipping might be high on the product if I were to offer it.. but who knows.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Mostly people seemed to complain that it took too long (3.2 hours not counting setup or teardown, maybe 4 hours counting teardown). A lot of the reviews online seem to argue for giving it a fair chance of like five plays which these people definitely won't do.

It seems like we played really oddly based on the teardown rules, since I won ruling almost nowhere. The chancellor never even offered citizenship because 2 of us never ruled anywhere until the final turn and the 4th guy was actively contending to usurp

Root and Oath are the board game equivalent of overrated local cuisine like NYC pizza, Texas brisket, Philadelphia steak & cheese, In & Out Burger, or Pink's hotdogs. No matter how many times you try it and report a blah experience, everyone will say you didn't go to the right place or order the right thing. The group was wrong! The meta game was wrong!

A typical first Root experience
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqLCDmF6upY

( I tried Root 10 times and had an awful experience each one. And now the world will pay with my shrill post)

MrBody on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

I'm sorry to hear that. Super Fantasy Brawl won't be out of stock forever, though. It will be restocked in their online web store and eventually retail channels. If you're looking for more skirmish games, these might interest you:
    • Aristea - It's Overwatch in board game form. Each character has their own distinct feel and abilities, and it's a lot of fun pulling off some interesting combos with your team.
    • Hate - Mad Max-like tribes murdering each other in one-off battle or across a "chronicle" where you play a series of matches for control of a map. Units gain or lose permanent buffs. It's expensive at $130, but it's so ridiculous and over produced I love it.
    • Skytear - Want a more League of Legends-inspired board game? This one is it. It has a lively community, the developers are constantly revising the game with a living rulebook, and new characters and modes are regularly introduced.

A few of my other, absolute favorites:
    • Arkham Horror 3E / Eldritch Horror
    • Viticulture with Tuscany expansion
    • Concordia
    • Terraforming Mars
    • Clans of Caledonia
    • Vindication
    • Gloom/Shadow of Kilforth
    • The Isle of Cats
    • Raiders of the North Sea
    • Pandemic series
    • Scythe
    • Thunderstone Quest
    • BattleLore: Second Edition (out of print)

I've got a lot of runner ups or games I'm really excited about owning, but I haven't played them enough (or at all) to place them on the above list.

I also need more party or social deduction games. Those are my wife's favorites. One Night Ultimate Werewolf? Codenames? We played those at her family's house and she got the happy giggles. Now I'm thinking about getting Sheriff of Nottingham, Murder: Deception in Hong Kong, Codenames Duet, and maybe Vampire the Masquerade: Vendetta? I'm all for other recommendations.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Root and Oath are games where everyone who talks positively about them says continuously and repeatedly that they are not for everyone.

but when someone comes in and says "we didn't enjoy this -- did we do something wrong?" people are going to answer.

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    Mostly people seemed to complain that it took too long (3.2 hours not counting setup or teardown, maybe 4 hours counting teardown). A lot of the reviews online seem to argue for giving it a fair chance of like five plays which these people definitely won't do.

It seems like we played really oddly based on the teardown rules, since I won ruling almost nowhere. The chancellor never even offered citizenship because 2 of us never ruled anywhere until the final turn and the 4th guy was actively contending to usurp

Root and Oath are the board game equivalent of overrated local cuisine like NYC pizza, Texas brisket, Philadelphia steak & cheese, In & Out Burger, or Pink's hotdogs. No matter how many times you try it and report a blah experience, everyone will say you didn't go to the right place or order the right thing. The group was wrong! The meta game was wrong!

( I tried Root 10 times and had an awful experience each one. And now the world will pay with my shrill post)

*thats bait meme*

They are games where conditions do have to be perfect moreso than any other games that get that sort of buzz and acclaim. Which, that kind of sucks, sure. I really like Root, but through a dozen or so games, I can't seem to strike the right group balance for everyone else to enjoy it, so it mostly goes unplayed for me and that's disappointing. I've had very good success with now six games of Oath with a single group, but then another group I introduced it to went horribly.

That said, all of those foods that you mentioned are great - except In-N-Out. I don't understand how there aren't decent burger places on the West Coast. I feel like I have a half-dozen much better burger places at the same price point as In-n-out a stone's throw from my house near DC.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Dashui wrote: »
    I just tried to buy Fort after what Nova_C said and Super Fantasy Brawl and Steampunk Fusion Rally based on what dashui said and all 3 are out of stock! I haven't bought a new game in ages and I can't find one to buy. Even Cthulhu Wars is out of stock

I'm sorry to hear that. Super Fantasy Brawl won't be out of stock forever, though. It will be restocked in their online web store and eventually retail channels. If you're looking for more skirmish games, these might interest you:
    • Aristea - It's Overwatch in board game form. Each character has their own distinct feel and abilities, and it's a lot of fun pulling off some interesting combos with your team.
    • Hate - Mad Max-like tribes murdering each other in one-off battle or across a "chronicle" where you play a series of matches for control of a map. Units gain or lose permanent buffs. It's expensive at $130, but it's so ridiculous and over produced I love it.
    • Skytear - Want a more League of Legends-inspired board game? This one is it. It has a lively community, the developers are constantly revising the game with a living rulebook, and new characters and modes are regularly introduced.

A few of my other, absolute favorites:
    • Arkham Horror 3E / Eldritch Horror
    • Viticulture with Tuscany expansion
    • Concordia
    • Terraforming Mars
    • Clans of Caledonia
    • Vindication
    • Gloom/Shadow of Kilforth
    • The Isle of Cats
    • Raiders of the North Sea
    • Pandemic series
    • Scythe
    • Thunderstone Quest
    • BattleLore: Second Edition (out of print)

I've got a lot of runner ups or games I'm really excited about owning, but I haven't played them enough (or at all) to place them on the above list.

I also need more party or social deduction games. Those are my wife's favorites. One Night Ultimate Werewolf? Codenames? We played those at her family's house and she got the happy giggles. Now I'm thinking about getting Sheriff of Nottingham, Murder: Deception in Hong Kong, Codenames Duet, and maybe Vampire the Masquerade: Vendetta? I'm all for other recommendations.

Yeah unfortunately 2p is a non starter for me

Resistance and saboteur and secret hitler are the games i used to know in the lightweight social deduction genre. BSG can take a long time with the wrong group and i wouldn't call it a party game but it has social deduction and a lot of people have had a lot of fun with it.

If you count codenames as social deduction, your wife might like fury of Dracula - but again not a party game

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »

*thats bait meme*

They are games where conditions do have to be perfect moreso than any other games that get that sort of buzz and acclaim. Which, that kind of sucks, sure. I really like Root, but through a dozen or so games, I can't seem to strike the right group balance for everyone else to enjoy it, so it mostly goes unplayed for me and that's disappointing. I've had very good success with now six games of Oath with a single group, but then another group I introduced it to went horribly.

That said, all of those foods that you mentioned are great - except In-N-Out. I don't understand how there aren't decent burger places on the West Coast. I feel like I have a half-dozen much better burger places at the same price point as In-n-out a stone's throw from my house near DC.

I can't speak for anywhere else on the West Coast, but there's a local chain in Seattle called Dick's Burgers. They recently made some noise during the whole "No one wants to work!" garbage recently because of their benefits:

fphqcp6x10s1.png

That's a pretty impressive list of benefits for a fast food restaurant. But it's not just the benefits they provide, but that they also manage to keep the prices low:

do0fl3btu0jg.jpg

Basically proving that you can run a business by paying your employees well while keeping costs down. As long as you aren't beholden to shareholders and omega-profit driven.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »

If you count codenames as social deduction, your wife might like fury of Dracula - but again not a party game

"My wife loves social deduction games! I was thinking about getting ONUW!"
    "Okay but how about this 5hr long 1vsAll hidden movement game, that's pretty close..."
    :lol:

Anyway, I like Insider for social deduction personally. It's best with about 5, and it's essentially 20 Questions But Also Someone Is Secretly A Baddie. I also love Hellapagos for large group "party game" kind of situations, but that one is significantly more of a group dependant recommendation. It's a 20-30 minute game that starts out coop, and ends as a just savagely brutal free for all of carnage. It changes from one to the other in interesting and fun ways, but you gotta be game for a dark ride full of intensely unfair player elimination and bad vibes to really get the most out of it :)