Options

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I think In-N-Out is pretty great and compares favorably to any other chain burger place out there, but *shrug*

Played my first game of Beyond the Sun last night, 2p. Felt like a very tight 4x game, definite "Eclipse-light" vibes. Managed to win 50-49, and neither of us was certain who would win until the final totals were added up so it felt very close competitively. Definitely want to explore it more and at larger player counts.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    There are great West Coast burger places. In-N-Out just isn't one of them (And I've lived in the Bay Area for 15 years). Although I will note that I can get a decent lettuce-wrapped burger that I can squeeze into my diabetic diet there, so that's a plus.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Folks... Talk me down from the hype train.

About an hour ago, FFG posted their latest social media giveaway for a board game.

Interestingly, it's about New Angeles. The question is specifically - where is Haas-Bioroid's headquarters in New Angeles?

Well, the answer is Heinlen.

Which... is a big deal... because Heinlen ISN'T on the New Angeles map! In fact, it is quite circumspect that it is not there, at all, whatsoever, despite the lunar colony and the beanstalk being considered part of New Angeles.

I'm...

I don't want to get my hopes up. But if they are finally, FINALLY releasing an expansion to New Angeles, I am going to be.. well.. over the moon.

https://www.facebook.com/FantasyFlightGames/posts/10157790675872143

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I would 100% rather get an expansion for/remake of actual Android and pretend that New Angeles doesn't exist.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I would 100% rather get an expansion for/remake of actual Android and pretend that New Angeles doesn't exist.

Well yes, but I like both games. Honestly if they would do expansions for New Angeles and Outer Rim I would feel pretty complete. I am hoping Android will be their next big box game after Descent.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    What are some games that you think are good for 5-8 year olds? I can think of:

Rhino Hero
    Hey, That's My Fish!
    Forbidden Desert
    No, Thanks
    Spot It
    Bananagrams
    Carcassone (though this might be a bit advanced)

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Rhino hero!

Hell, I wanna play rhino hero right now!

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Rhino Hero
    Hey, That's My Fish!
    Forbidden Desert
    No, Thanks
    Spot It
    Bananagrams
    I knew an 8YO that handled Potion Explosion just fine, but I don’t know if that works well for 5-6.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    I always try to not be
    Rhino hero!

Yes Rhino hero super battle.
    My 6 year old took it to school on boardgame day.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Braintopia is one you probably won't see many people mention, but I think would be great for young / developing minds.

Otherwise gonna pitch a friend on this one, who has two young daughters (I forget if the oldest is 5, 6 or 7 now ...) and specifically reviews games through the lens of "games that are good for kids, but that adults can also enjoy."
    You can find them at https://littlebigthumbs.com/

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular

Rhino Hero
    Hey, That's My Fish!
    Forbidden Desert
    No, Thanks
    Spot It
    Bananagrams

Click Clack Lumberjack went over pretty well with the nephews at that age, as did Get Bit (although they probably won't get the strategy, the game is simple enough, and kids love sharks.)

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I always try to not be
    Rhino hero!

Yes Rhino hero super battle.
    My 6 year old took it to school on boardgame day.

I took it to school, too! Though our board game day is on the last day of school (I teach 17/18 year olds). Always a hit.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

Rhino Hero
      Hey, That's My Fish!
      Forbidden Desert
      No, Thanks
      Spot It
      Bananagrams

That's a tough age range, as kids will vary a great deal in what rule sets they're able and willing to learn. (My oldest was playing Takenoko at 5; my youngest at 7 is still uninterested in anything beyond Catan Junior, and would rather play Candyland or Headbands; meanwhile my friend's 6-year-old son played through all of Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion with his dad's occasional assistance.)

That said, Catan Junior is pretty good at those ages as is Ticket to Ride First Journey (or Ticket to Ride New York if they're able to handle multiple routes at once -- but I'd stay away from full-sized Ticket to Ride because of the length). My daughters absolutely love Dixit. Maybe Sushi Go or Camel Up depending on the kids in question, and my oldest adored the Hogwarts Battle deck builder.

I'd also recommend Forbidden Island instead of Forbidden Desert, just because of the simpler rule set and easier victory conditions -- especially if the kids are playing by themselves, Forbidden Desert's storm movement and water rationing system is just a bit complex for most 6-7 year olds.

• Options
      PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
      Push a monster is a great little dexterity game that kids can play just fine

sig.gif
    • Options
      Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
      As well as many of the above my 8yo enjoys Love Letter and King of Tokyo.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    • Options
      Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
      Spot It or the slightly trickier Ghost Blitz have gone over great in my experience

• Options
      ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
      Gulo Gulo has been great here (we have the Pharao's Gulo Gulo version). I particularly like that it gives children an innate advantage over adults because of their smaller fingers, but it balances out from their relative lack of dexterity.

• Options
      tyrantula22tyrantula22 Registered User regular
      edited July 2021

Rhino Hero
      Hey, That's My Fish!
      Forbidden Desert
      No, Thanks
      Spot It
      Bananagrams

There is Carcassone kids, but I played regular Carcassone with my kids at that age range. I just didn't do farmers, which is really the only thing that would be hard for a kid to understand in that game I think.

As another noted, Ticket to Ride is good. I did play base TTR with them (although more to the higher age range on that one), but they are right and it depends if you think they could make it through a longer game like that.

Stuffed Fables is nice for a story driven game. Sometimes we had to play a story over two sessions though if the length got to them.

tyrantula22 on
      Battletag: Tyrantula22#1623
      Steam ID
    • Options
      Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
      Drop It! is a fantastic game with kids. Kind of dexterity, easy scoring, and you never quite know how things are going to fall (usually resulting in hilariousness).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    • Options
      tyrantula22tyrantula22 Registered User regular
      On a related note to this discussion, my kids are 6, 8, and 11 now. They actually just got out TTR to play by themselves just last week. I don't think that they ended up finishing the game, but I did like that they grabbed that one over stuff like Life and other games they could have played.

Battletag: Tyrantula22#1623
      Steam ID
    • Options
      CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      edited July 2021
      An expansion to Dune Imperium has been announced: The Rise of Ix
      • Monetarily expensive Dreadnaughts. Dreadnaughts are indestructible and can claim territory. This increases the versalility of money (Solari.)
      • Spice based permanent upgrades
      • New Intrigue cards
      • New faction leaders. One with a deck culling ability and one focused on new mechanics
      • Only two Bene Gesserit cards revealed at this time. A disappointment as its Emperor and Spacing Guild that need more tribal cards but....
      • ...of those two cards, Jessica is giving a punk bitch a taste of her Weirding Way, woot!

They're saving more content for later.

Cantido on
      3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • Options
      DashuiDashui Registered User regular
      I picked up a few social deduction/party games:
      1. Codenames Duet
      2. Red Dragon Inn #3
      3. Murder: Deception in Hong Kong
      4. Vampire the Masquerade: Vendetta

Really excited for all these! Vendetta is the larger unknown, but I love that universe/theme.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    • Options
      We've all been here.

board_game_party_schedule.png

• Options
      BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
      That chart woefully underestimates how much time is taken up by trying to decide on what game to play.

• Options
      I was just thinking today about next board game night needing a roulette wheel.

• Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      Salty hot take:
      Marvel Villainous is the worst Villainous I've played and everyone who approved the design of combining the villain decks past testing should be fired.

Just had THE WORST game I think is possible. I don't understand how this game possibly is supposed to work at all. It feels like they had some neat ideas, bought a Marvel license, and sent it to print without considering if those ideas even work.

The worst part is my kids love it, and bought it for me for my birthday and I just want to never play it unless we can houserule a lot of changes.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
      ArcSyn wrote: »
      Salty hot take:
      Marvel Villainous is the worst Villainous I've played and everyone who approved the design of combining the villain decks past testing should be fired.

Just had THE WORST game I think is possible. I don't understand how this game possibly is supposed to work at all. It feels like they had some neat ideas, bought a Marvel license, and sent it to print without considering if those ideas even work.

The worst part is my kids love it, and bought it for me for my birthday and I just want to never play it unless we can houserule a lot of changes.

Thankfully, my kids both disliked it as well our first time playing. Nobody has any interest in trying it again, so we're happily back to regular Villainous.

• Options
      DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
      edited July 2021
      wonderpug wrote: »
      Salty hot take:

Thankfully, my kids both disliked it as well our first time playing. Nobody has any interest in trying it again, so we're happily back to regular Villainous.

This is a shame because Disney Villainous is so solid and thematic. I even enjoy the fan-made solo mode.

DoctorArch on
      Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    • Options
      wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
      DoctorArch wrote: »
      wonderpug wrote: »
      Salty hot take:

This is a shame because Disney Villainous is so solid and thematic. I even enjoy the fan-made solo mode.

I'm (slowly) learning that "this existing great thing + this other perfect theme = guaranteed success" doesn't play out as often you think in board games. First Martians is another one that comes to mind. Robinson Crusoe is great, Mars is cool, this will be a guaranteed success! Oh wait no, it's terrible.

• Options
      My local crack dealer said the magic words to get me to buy Oath: That the KS edition is going for around 175 online.

• Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      edited July 2021
      Athenor wrote: »
      My local crack dealer said the magic words to get me to buy Oath: That the KS edition is going for around 175 online.

Pretty sure I can fix my doubts about backing most kickstarter by just buying 2 when I kickstart and sell the other to cover most of the costs.

e: I haven't! Just a thought

TimFiji on
      Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
        TimFiji wrote: »

Pretty sure I can fix my doubts about backing most kickstarter by just buying 2 when I kickstart and sell the other to cover most of the costs.

e: I haven't! Just a thought

And now you've put this idea in my head. Thanks.

Also: I'm playing boardgames next week! For the first time in like a year and change since I played Sidereal Confluence at a work conference last February! We're starting Betrayal Legacy - my second copy since I started my first copy with my now-ex-wife. Hopeful to set up another game night to start working through my pandemic kickstarter backlog, ideally starting with Empyeral Spells & Steam.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
      • Options
        Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
        edited July 2021

Leder games have been pretty good at doing well managed reprints with errata. Scarcity is a terrible reason to buy in. Especially at an inflated price

Mojo_Jojo on
        Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
      • Options
        admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
        edited July 2021
        Well, presumably their FLGS is selling it at MSRP.

But yeah Leder is very consistent with reprints.

admanb on
      • Options
        edited July 2021
        Agreed in all points. Plus I get a pretty consistent loyalty bonus at my retailer. So basically I was getting the Kickstarter bonuses for "free" (msrp instead of ks price).

I thought they would be a bit more substantial Based on my experiences with Root and Vast, but oh well. I am a sucker for metal coins. This is also the first board game I haven't ripped open to look at the cards upon initial purchase and unboxing.

Athenor on
      • Options
        WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
        Our game group has discovered the joys of asynchronous gaming with Through The Ages. It's a great game - the asynch mode really mitigates the length of the game time in real life.

We're not very good at TTA yet, though! We've just started to grok warfare and late game culture ramp. I'm slowly getting better at knowing what mistakes I'm making.

• Options
        Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
        So some fancy edition of Terraforming Mars is shipping at the moment. It has 200 metal cubes. Word on the street is that the cubes are individually bagged.

Which sounds like a somewhat wasteful approach

• Options
        Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
        So some fancy edition of Terraforming Mars is shipping at the moment. It has 200 metal cubes. Word on the street is that the cubes are individually bagged.

If true it's shenanigans like that which would require us to terraform Mars in the first place.

• Options
        Vyolynce wrote: »
        Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

If true it's shenanigans like that which would require us to terraform Mars in the first place.

The update is confusing
        Some of you have noted that all of the metal cubes come individually packaged, and that is clearly very wasteful. We didn’t ask for it this way, once we got a complete production sample we immediately asked that the cubes be packaged in a smaller number of bags - but at that point the assembly had already been completed. Clearly the factory’s intention was to protect the metal cubes from becoming scratched, this was a very expensive product to make so we understand their desire to keep the cubes pristine. We will have to look at how we can handle this in the future, it’s not an easy balance as we know there are lots of backers that appreciate getting cubes without the scratches that global shipping inevitably brings. Tough choices.

They had finished manufacture and packaging before the production sample was inspected. That's not the way that works.

• Options
        Note it isn't TM, it is a big box for storing TM that comes with 3d tiles.

... As mine still has not arrived at my local game store, grumble grumble.