As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Minis: cheap, good sculpt/material, painted

Pick two

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

Pick two

ha, easy

cheap and just for the hell of it cheap again

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Feeling cold feet on the Mayday crokinole.
    Probably going to be in for $200 or so by the end (bag, 3rd and 4th set of pucks, shipping).

It's not unreasonable, right? I guess I'm just concerned how much play it'll get. I know it's quick, fast, and simple and the kids could absolutely use it daily. It's just a lot to drop at once on "a piece of wood". Trying to tell myself it's not that simple.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Probably going to be in for $200 or so by the end (bag, 3rd and 4th set of pucks, shipping).

It's not unreasonable, right? I guess I'm just concerned how much play it'll get. I know it's quick, fast, and simple and the kids could absolutely use it daily. It's just a lot to drop at once on "a piece of wood". Trying to tell myself it's not that simple.

i have spent well over 800$ on a board game and you come to me with 200?????

leave my home immediately

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

It can make a nice piece of art if you have a space to wall mount it. So there is that.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Pick two

ha, easy

For you, I recommend visiting your local dollar store, you can probably find some cheap, cheap animals. Possibly some people/zombies, too.

(One time as a prize for a minis event, I put up some dollar store horses that I had based and painted up as Nightmares, since the D&D line didn't have any at that time)

Fry on
  • Options

Pick two

ha, easy

For you, I recommend visiting your local dollar store, you can probably find some cheap, cheap animals. Possibly some people/zombies, too.

(One time as a prize for a minis event, I put up some dollar store horses that I had based and painted up as Nightmares, since the D&D line didn't have any at that time)

i'm pretty sure i have enough minis that i can fully populate any and all games i will ever buy

the dollar store can come to me

• Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    I don't think I noticed anyone in here mention Radlands, yet somehow I blame you for making me pre-order it.
    Looks like a dueling 2 player deck builder, using a shared deck. The pastel color schemes helped endear me to the post-apoc setting.

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

When I was 10 (+/- 5 years because that's how my memory works now) my parents got me one of those miniature pool tables and I played that a ton.

And let me tell you, miniature pool tables are (a) much larger than a crokinole board (b) at least as expensive for significantly less build quality and (c) kinda crap. I think my dad even watched SU&SD's review of Crokinole and said "I wish we had gotten you one of those instead."

• Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    Dark White wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I feel like at $650, all the miniatures should come pre-assembled and fully painted.

dude skilled labor is expensive. at least a few grand in labor alone after paying for all the minis.

I imagine there are ways to color minis that don't require hand painting - maybe I'm just ignorant. How are X-wing minis colored?
    This is largely semantics, but "pre-painted" is not the same as "fully painted" in the world of miniatures. The former is certainly doable, like the FFG minis you mention, and probably totally fine for a game like zombies with a million throwaway pieces. "Fully painted" would imply actually employing people to paint the pieces and even at a completely forgettable quality level that takes time.

Sure, but in my example how exactly are the ships getting colored? While certainly not intricate, I think the coloring for X-wing is pretty good all things considered. Are they employing people to do very quick paint jobs by hand or is a machine doing it?

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Crokinole is absolutely one of those things where if you haven't played it you can easily scoff at the price tag, "I'm paying $200 for a wooden disc and some smaller wooden discs?" but after a couple of games that quickly turns into, "I can't believe I only payed $200 for a wooden disc and some smaller wooden discs!"

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I feel like at $650, all the miniatures should come pre-assembled and fully painted.

dude skilled labor is expensive. at least a few grand in labor alone after paying for all the minis.

I imagine there are ways to color minis that don't require hand painting - maybe I'm just ignorant. How are X-wing minis colored?
    This is largely semantics, but "pre-painted" is not the same as "fully painted" in the world of miniatures. The former is certainly doable, like the FFG minis you mention, and probably totally fine for a game like zombies with a million throwaway pieces. "Fully painted" would imply actually employing people to paint the pieces and even at a completely forgettable quality level that takes time.

Sure, but in my example how exactly are the ships getting colored? While certainly not intricate, I think the coloring for X-wing is pretty good all things considered. Are they employing people to do very quick paint jobs by hand or is a machine doing it?
    It may have been unclear, but I was referencing both your post and the original from Mavers because you two were using different language and I was pointing out the distinction. X-wing miniatures are machine-coloured, yes. I was agreeing that this would work.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited February 2022

Pick two

ha, easy

zty7xvnycogo.png

?

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Cantido wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    I earned my first score over 100 in Gaia Project Steam version. The economy is still tighter than I would like (ugh, QICs) but is far less suffocating than Terra Mystica.

Is the Steam version identical to the board game or does it differ? My friends and I played a 3-player game on BoardGameArena a couple weeks back. For two of us it was our second game ever, for the third player it was his 10th game or so. Our final scores were in the neighborhood of 170-165-120.

Identical. It has advanced metagame features like faction auctions, the last player spinning the tiles and the like. It's aesthetically functional, but dry looking.

Ooh does Gaia project on steam have a single player version against AI. Would love to learn the game better that way.

Current point spread, in 3 games I've played. Hitting above 100 seems solid.
    t952bmfi8p22.png

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    I earned my first score over 100 in Gaia Project Steam version. The economy is still tighter than I would like (ugh, QICs) but is far less suffocating than Terra Mystica.

Is the Steam version identical to the board game or does it differ? My friends and I played a 3-player game on BoardGameArena a couple weeks back. For two of us it was our second game ever, for the third player it was his 10th game or so. Our final scores were in the neighborhood of 170-165-120.

Identical. It has advanced metagame features like faction auctions, the last player spinning the tiles and the like. It's aesthetically functional, but dry looking.

Ooh does Gaia project on steam have a single player version against AI. Would love to learn the game better that way.
    [/img]

Yeah, it has AI play.

I have never won, but I never had a score higher than 103 either.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Not done yet, but well on my way...

XZV9Ibul.jpg

I hate my handwriting, and I didn't trust putting the sticker sheet they provide through my printer, so I decided to use a clear labelmaker to label up all the Heroes of the Grid decks. I have to cut 1-2mm off the top due to how wide they are, but that's not a huge deal. I'm also bulk printing them to save on wasted printing area because this old dymo really, REALLY wastes label tape at the beginning/end.

I suspect that once I get in my next batch of sleeves, I'll need to open up my second storage box for this game. But that's okay. It'll just become a rangers/villains duality thing.

I do wish the text was more readable on the "Back" of the dividers... but it's enough to at least get you going in a hurry.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Mobile version of Wavelength drops on the 10'th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yq-LQ5eccA

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    *pant pant* It happened. It finally happened. I won against the beginner AI at Gaia Project.
    7anoxaicay5k.jpg
    cl1ofndb8056.jpg

I bitch about TM and GP's economies feeling suffocating a lot. I still will, and I'm still not a fan of the Turn 1 Meta determining which factions are dead weight before the game even starts. But I think the key to winning this game was understanding "building an economy" means getting science going too, not just money and ore.

I typically gun for a Round 1 Planetary Institute with the Terrans, because I feel the pressure to gain things from its ability while expanding. But the slow road came out ahead.

Cantido on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I feel both pleased and bad, as i just crushed my partner utterly in Wingspan.

See, i got 69 points in general score. Which... you know, that's pretty bad, honestly.

Then i got 66 points in tucked bird cards. 135 points total!

I had my marsh setup so that end of round: Tuck 3, draw 3. Whenever activated: Reset bird feeder, gain Grub/Rat/Fish if there. Tuck up to 3 from hand, get a grain if i tuck at least 1. discard a grain: Tuck 2 from the deck. Tuck a card from hand, lay an egg.

So i got a minimum of 5 points for activating my marsh, and up to 7 points if i had room for the eggs. It was pretty silly! (and honestly, kinda boring, i dont plan to do that agai nany time soon)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    (and honestly, kinda boring, i dont plan to do that agai nany time soon)

That's actually what I love about Wingspan. You actually can't plan to do that again. It could happen, and tucking engines are a great strategy, but you can't just do it.

When people ask me to describe Wingspan, I call it "Scrabble with birds". I used to play Scrabble a lot with my wife when we were dating (and still happily married for 14 years). It's the only game we've played together more than Wingspan, and we played a lot of Wingspan. There's a lot of strategies in Scrabble to allow you to score the most points with the tiles you draw, based on what's on the board. I feel like that's almost exactly how Wingspan plays. Your goal is to score the highest number of points with the birds you're given, and to score highest you probably have to pick a direction by the 2nd round at the latest. So you can't just wait around for the right cards to come up, you have to commit to something.

You can lose at Scrabble and still feel really good about your score based on the tiles you were given. You can win at Scrabble and feel like you got a lot of help from the bag. You can score really high if you play with an opponent who doesn't give any regards to opening up opportunity on the board. Or you can score really low if you play with someone who is very defensive (like my wife).

I feel like Wingspan is the same. Sometimes you're in games with players who keep things really open in terms of letting you draw, or birds that assist the entire table, or they play super tight and you get no "help" outside of your turn. You can lose and still come away feeling really good about executing a nice strategy with lackluster card draws. Or you can win in a blowout, knowing that you took supreme advantage of really great card draws.

The context of the game almost matters more than the final score.

And I say this all with very high regards for the game.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Yeah, i fully agree - it's a very smart game on a lot of different bits.

I still want word on what the 3rd expansion is going to include! My partner and i play the game multiple times a week, and we crave more birds

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    The expansion to Project L has arrived, and the new storage solution is glorious.
    eio98947o5m5.jpg

I think I'm more excited about playing using these trays than I am about the expansion content itself.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    yo nerds if anyone is in or near Minneapolis and wants a big ol bunch of Time of Legends Joan of Arc I am selling off a wheelbarrow full of stuff for about 200$; did cost about $700. It is unplayed but opened.

• Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    yo nerds if anyone is in or near Minneapolis and wants a big ol bunch of Time of Legends Joan of Arc I am selling off a wheelbarrow full of stuff for about 200$; did cost about $700. It is unplayed but opened.

I would normally be tempted, but I'm trying to keep the amount of times I'm murdered as close to zero as I can. A handful of kickstarters came in recently, and I know more should be coming soon-ish, so I'm having to tread lightly right now.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    We played one of my oldest un-played Kickstarter games last night, Sorcerer City. Kickstarter tells me I backed it in 2018 so I guess I've probably had it on a shelf for 3 years.

It's a pretty neat game, it turns out. Considering the size and heft of the box I was not expecting a speed/dexterity game, but that's what it is at the core. You start off with identical, individual stacks of "city" tiles (tiles subdivided into segments in 4 colors, some with goal icons on them) and then in each of 5 rounds you get... 1 minute? 90 seconds? we never actually timed the sand glass to see how much time it was... to simultaneously build your city district, flipping over and placing one tile at a time. It's like playing solo speed Carcassone, complicated by the fact that each round you add monster tiles to your pile which have detrimental effects (generally removing already-played tiles, or adding crappy tiles). Then you score your individual cities and use the resulting resources to buy more tiles, compete for per-round bonuses, and score victory points.

I am terrible at it. I don't think I actually finished my stack of tiles after the first round. My wife won with 144 points with the second place player ~100 and me down at 80. The deckbuilder aspect is common enough in boardgames but I don't think I've ever seen it paired with a real-time, quick-decision-making mechanic.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    No wonder I've been struggling in Gaia Project.. I never built a Planetary Institute and was riding exclusively on the QIC tech track for QICs.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Opinions wanted on:

Path of Light and Shadows
    Roll Player Adventures
    Vampire Heritage
    (on sale for $63)

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Opinions wanted on:

Path of Light and Shadows
    Roll Player Adventures
    Vampire Heritage
    (on sale for $63)

Roll Player Adventures is amazing! Great writing and branching narratives.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Got to play Village for the first time tonight. 3 hrs later, it was interesting, but I don't know how likely I'll get it back to the table. I won, having equally maxed out the points in the book and exploring, and decent points in the market and church.

My friend also thought it was neat, but both of our wives weren't very impressed. It was also interesting to see us all kinda go 3 different directions in strategy from the start.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Got to play Village for the first time tonight. 3 hrs later, it was interesting, but I don't know how likely I'll get it back to the table. I won, having equally maxed out the points in the book and exploring, and decent points in the market and church.

My friend also thought it was neat, but both of our wives weren't very impressed. It was also interesting to see us all kinda go 3 different directions in strategy from the start.

I love Village dearly because my mum loves it more. She always goes the traveling route, even if she doesn't end up winning. My wife really likes it too and always tries to corner the market, which is normally a victory unless the rest of us steal enough customers first.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Village hit the table no more than twice for us. It is my canonical example for an unremarkable game with no flaws

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I was in Miniature Market yesterday and picked up Roll Player Adventures. Not bought, just picked it up. And with a heavy heart put it back down, I'm sure it would be a big hit here but there's just no room in the finances for that kind of expense at the moment.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I was in Miniature Market yesterday and picked up Roll Player Adventures. Not bought, just picked it up. And with a heavy heart put it back down, I'm sure it would be a big hit here but there's just no room in the finances for that kind of expense at the moment.

I've seen it listed for around $80 at some online retailers. If anyone is looking for their next campaign game, it really is wonderful. It's easy to set up, doesn't overstay its welcome, not hard to play, fun dice puzzle mechanics (think One Deck Dungeon), and has a well-written story. That being said, the backstory expansion adds a lot of extra flavor, so that bumps up the price more. It's not necessary, but I enjoy including it.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    MrBody wrote: »

Vampire Heritage
    (on sale for $63)

is sooper neat

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Well my brother went and had to start a conversation about woodworking yesterday at a birthday party so now I'm $140 in the hole on a Crokinole board because I guess that's what that means

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I finally taught my Dune loving friends Dune Imperium, with the expansion no less.

They almost kicked my ass and I only won by a five point burst on Round 10.

Cantido on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I finally taught my Dune loving friends Dune Imperium, with the expansion no less.

They almost kicked my ass and I only won by a five point burst on Round 10.

Dune Imperium is a good game, really enjoy playing it solo.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Hey folks, I'm trying to do some house-cleaning and (a minuscule amount of) downsizing, and I've got some board games that I don't want anymore. Does anyone want to take these off my hands? For free, I'll ship 'em to you, if the shipping is under $20 I'll cover it.

All but one of these have been opened and handled to some degree or another, but for the most part are in "good" to "excellent" condition, I can take photos if you're interested.

Alchemists - Note that (1) my copy is missing 2 of those little plastic translucent cubes that are used as counters (it was like that out of the box), and (2) part of the charm of this game is that you install an app on your phone to take a photo of ingredients and tell you what potion they make; the game and app are from 2014, so who knows how well it works now. The good news is that instead of the app, you can sit a dedicated person down with a special chart to fill this role.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark - This box is huge. Please keep this in mind.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (2nd Edition) + The Trollfens expansion

Thunderstone Quest - I've opened the box, like, once, to look at the contents, but never actually played it. The box is also big enough to live in.

King of New York - Still mint-in-shrink-wrap.

EDIT: Alchemists, Thunderstone Quest, Descent 1, and Descent 2 have been claimed! King of New York - ironically, the one that is still in completely mint condition - is still up for grabs! We are packing for a move, please rescue me from having to pack more boxes!

...I guess I'd still have to pack more boxes, to ship these things out, but you know what I mean

EDIT 2: All gone! I ended up putting King of New York outside with a sign saying "free", and it was gone in like 15 minutes. I hope someone gets a kick out of doing monster-stomping, and it's not just someone grabbing it to resell since it was still shrink-wrapped (although honestly, even if someone did, good for them, can't turn our noses up at the hustle in this day and age).

Delduwath on
  • Options
    Can anyone identify this coin? I found it and can't think of what game I own that it belongs to. c238kj3pd3wr.jpg

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    It's not Maskerade is it?