As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFBE] THIS THREAD IS DEAD, LONG LIVE NEW THREAD

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Reigner wrote: »
    Does the daily coin shop ever refresh? I have a feeling its going to end up my best and only source for GL Ability seals.

1st of every month.
    Also make sure you're doing the daily material stage from the story event. It's pretty easy and the clear reward is 18ish gl insignias.

Lorek on
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    I finished the Yoshikiri event, and it made me actually kind of excited to try for Elena next week.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Looks like I’m going to be short 3 slots tokens of the omniprism. Oh well, not like I’ve used any so far anyway.

• Options
    maraji wrote: »
    Looks like I’m going to be short 3 slots tokens of the omniprism. Oh well, not like I’ve used any so far anyway.

Is this the last week for daily tokens? I figured it was still going for awhile since the slots are open for like two more weeks still.
    Or are they ending too? I'll admit I haven't actually checked how many days were left in awhile, I just remember it being a bit...

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Zomro wrote: »
    The break gauge is such a dumb mechanic to begin with, and they made it worse? If they don't want OTKOs, just give the boss high DR that can't be dispelled for X turns" where X = whatever arbitrary amount of turns they want us to waste on a stage. It's just silly.

Already have to do these insignia stages so much because it takes so many to awaken a units skills. Why make the stages so infuriating and time consuming?

I'm assuming it's to encourage more purchasing of Lapis to get the new hotness that will essentially trivialize the new mechanic to the point where they'll have to add a new mechanic that justifies more money spent on the mechanic in the first few months it exists before also becoming more or less trivialized by power creep in turn.

Why yes, I am jaded. Why do you ask?

See, if that was what was going on, I'd get it. It'd be apalling, but I'd get it.

But far as I can tell, there's only one "new hotness" with any ability that does anything for Break bars right now, and it's not even all that good! The thing they're trying to sell does not even help with the hurdle they're putting in front of you! It's basically making things annoying and unfun for no reason!

Is it not that good . . . or is it not that good until you awaken all the abilities and have fed him all the pots you can and cactaurs/exp you can and maxed out his equipment and TMRs? You know, spent a goodly chunk of change or time into making that one character up to the task? That's the part I'm talking about; it's not just the unit they're selling, it's all the stuff that goes into enhancing and upgrading the characters as well.

I mean, like, I totally get the model, and I know the folks that do pay out the nose for a perfected unit immediately are more or less subsidizing my ability to play this game, and I have no ill will towards either, but also yes they really do hope you'll buy the pack of shards for 5k Lapis, the pots for 1k, and hopefully at least a few other things from the store and spend a chunk of time engaged in the game because of course they do, that's how this works. I don't begrudge them that. I just know it might be a bit before I catch up and that's fine with me.

Break bar is kind of unaffected by any kind of enhancement or stat or anything like that, as you remember. All it matters is the flat and whether you have the right weapon type. It's the same if you do it with a level 1 unpotted unit wielding a 35 atk weapon or a level 120 everything maxed EX+3 unit wielding a max DV weapon. That's part of why it's dumb!

If it WAS trying to get you to put a ton of money into things, as said, I'd get it. But far as I can tell it's less "put a lot of money into our current banner if you want to oneshot things" and more "oh no, people are oneshotting things, we have to stop that". Which seems extremely dumb! Heck, far as I can tell the star of the current banner they're trying to sell would not help in the slightest with it!

Basically what I'm getting at is, the makers of this game do want to extort out your money, but they are bad at knowing how to design a game to actually do so. They just throw shit at the wall and see what happens.

Fair, although there are also units that gain extra attacks or their triple cast moves from leveling them up or getting a TMR or what have you, which means the best barrage usage is leveling hard and, if you want them to survive before, during, or after the break, making sure they have good protection or good HP values.

I feel like it's a weird sort of push to try and get people to use specific older units that they might not have leveled at all before bringing out "the NV to solve those problems".

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Next banner in JP is NV Locke/7* Setzer with NVAs for Sabin and Edgar. Sadly no Celes still! It's such a bummer as she is arguably the most important character in the game, and one of the only mandatory characters in the World of Ruin.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Cruor wrote: »
    Next banner in JP is NV Locke/7* Setzer with NVAs for Sabin and Edgar. Sadly no Celes still! It's such a bummer as she is arguably the most important character in the game, and one of the only mandatory characters in the World of Ruin.

My friends and I were talking the other day about how you'd make an adaptation of FFVI to a linear format like an animated movie, and we came to the conclusion that you'd need to toss a lot of characters and sideplots into the background bin. And on analyzing who could get the hammer, the general agreement we came out with is that the only completely necessary characters in the game, that you absolutely can't un-protagonist, are Terra and Celes. Literally everyone else, you can background or straight up remove without much issue. But Terra and Celes are more or less impossible to take out without breaking the entire themes of the game in half.

So it's really weird that we keep getting, like, fucking Shadow, or Setzer, before Celes.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Lorek wrote: »
    maraji wrote: »

Is this the last week for daily tokens? I figured it was still going for awhile since the slots are open for like two more weeks still.
    Or are they ending too? I'll admit I haven't actually checked how many days were left in awhile, I just remember it being a bit...

The slots are open to the end of the month I thought. I was assuming the tokens stopped a week ahead of that. I’m looking through the news now but I haven’t found anything solid about it.

Edit: the news post says 10/7 for the slots, so maybe there’s hope!

maraji on
  • Options
    I'm very tempted to omni/STMR prism Flammie, as I did just get one of each from Panel Summons/the slots. That 75% killer for beast/fairy/undead is just so nice, and I have a 4 omniprisms and I think 3-400 STMR tickets along with the 100% STMR Moogle.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about using an Omni on Kryla to then merge for her STMR. I've got 3 of them now and sounds like a 4th coming. Unless the Halloween units are getting NVA's, I'm not sure where I'd use them otherwise.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Kryla's STMR is really nice. I'm glad I have her STMR + one extra dupe so I can NVA her immediately is she gets an NVA come Christmas time. I would imagine she will as she's a very popular unit. Then it would just be buying whatever shard bundle she needs to get to EX+1

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    God, that brave insignia fight is miserable. Took 5 turns to beat the INT version and the boss ran out of HP before the break bar broke.

I'll retool my team before the ADV one, but that shit is bad.

• Options
    I'm using the same team as Maraji: WM Rosa/MMXon for break bar, Ignacio for fire imbue, CG Vaan for breaks and imperil, then NV Akstar + Friend AMoE chainer. You need as many break bar units as you can fit. She doesn't hit hard when broken and is weak as tissue paper once the break bar is gone.

• Options
    So Sinzar put up a video showcasing Yoshikiri in both buffer and damage roles. As a buffer, he enabled a T2 kill of Intangir with NVA Clouds chaining their LBS, which is pretty damn good. As a damage dealer he killed Coeurl in 11 turns. So, not great as a damage dealer but still passable.

So, if you want some big damage, Yoshikiri is great at supporting others in doing that, especially if they are LB based damage dealers who would benefit from a 150% LB damage buff. He's even more useful if you're fighting a big bad machine/human boss. He'd be especially good at supporting, say, BBRem in a magical finisher role.

So yeah, he has a niche that he fills very well. He can also evade/provoke well while supporting due to having some innate dodge, and he remains bulky in HP and SPR while doing so. Just don't expect him to be a damage dealer and don't expect him to be a great defensive support.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Zomro wrote: »
    God, that brave insignia fight is miserable. Took 5 turns to beat the INT version and the boss ran out of HP before the break bar broke.

I'll retool my team before the ADV one, but that shit is bad.

I could make it even faster but I have zero trouble turn 3 kill with:
    HA Charlotte evade provoker short sword
    NVA Lasswell katanas
    NVA Tifa base double katana, BS for LB finish
    Vaan Katana and short sword
    NV Akstar katana
    Friend that uses katanas, turn 3 if friend is NV Akstar, turn 4 typically if not

Usually break the bar in two turns with it and Akstar using the bonus break ability. Then once broken send Lassworm and Akstar chaining with a Tifa finisher. HA Charlotte makes damage inconsequential for fight.

Should note also I’ve got both Lasswell and Akstar slotted for friends that are beasts and especially the Akstar will help ya with this one.

Blackhawk1313 on
  • Options
    TipharesTiphares Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    For the Insignia boss, I just ignore the break bar and go for the big damage kill. I'm following a reddit strategy that has a turn 2 kill using: SD Akstar, NV Rain, MM Xon, NV Cloud, and NV Tifa x2.

Basic idea is killer buff and fire imbue with SD Akstar, spread with MM Xon, then SR chain and cap with 2x Braveshift LB Tifas.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/iupczx/2tko_guide_for_challenge_of_the_brave/

Tiphares on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I've just been breaking the break bar in two turns and then just chaining her down. It's super annoying since you have to wait for every barrage unit to stop their attacking, but it works.

Also, finding a LOT of NV Akstars wielding Greatswords instead of katanas. More than that, they're wielding one handed greatswords. It almost feels like the NV era has made people forget about weapon types and weapon variance.

(Ok it's actually the optimize equipment button. I know that. Most people just got "optimize - ATK" if they are equipping them at all)

Cruor on
  • Options
    I've just been breaking the break bar in two turns and then just chaining her down. It's super annoying since you have to wait for every barrage unit to stop their attacking, but it works.

Also, finding a LOT of NV Akstars wielding Greatswords instead of katanas. More than that, they're wielding one handed greatswords. It almost feels like the NV era has made people forget about weapon types and weapon variance.

(Ok it's actually the optimize equipment button. I know that. Most people just got "optimize - ATK" if they are equipping them at all)

Yeah I saw a 4.5K attack Akstar and went to go look at his stats and it was a one handed katana. One of the main annoyances of the NV era is now I have to check twice, once for regular and once for BS form.

• Options
    I happier news I now have my Lasswell to NV+1 thanks to the login shards. Also, I don't know when, but they fixed the Colorful Lei passive to work with his BS form which is great.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Yeah I saw a 4.5K attack Akstar and went to go look at his stats and it was a one handed katana. One of the main annoyances of the NV era is now I have to check twice, once for regular and once for BS form.

Wait, this is breaking my brain, there really isn’t any explicit 2 hand katanas unless I am completely insane. Dragon Akstar STMR isn’t even explicitly 2 hand. Ashen Ember is the only one that comes to mind.

Blackhawk1313 on
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Wait, this is breaking my brain, there really isn’t any explicit 2 hand katanas unless I am completely insane. Dragon Akstar STMR isn’t even explicitly 2 hand.

Akstar's STMR, Hess King Lasswell's STMR, SD Akstar's STMR, Fierce Goddess Katana, Ice Demon's Katana (ice element), Onimaru+. Probably a couple others I'm forgetting.

Edit: Suiryuken (Kaito's TMR) (water element)

Cruor on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Most of those are bit particularly great attack wise though. Is loss of STMR/TMR bonus for dragon Akstar worth losing 40ish attack on a weapon?

I say this also because that attitude minorly irks me. I have a crap ton of stuff. I have none of those katanas though, and only two Hess Lass, two Akstars, and two SD Akstars. Pardon me for putting his STMR on himself 2 handed.

Further edit: not equipping TMR/STMR loses 100% lb fill, 100% TDH, and 50% LB damage. The TMR could be equipped instead but with the katana Vision Card is basically just over capping attack at that point.

And another edit: now I’m just salty about having no 2 handed katanas. Balance is otherwise good. -_-

One last edit, AD Akstar in Favorite slot, now with Quadra Katana in normal form for that sweet sweet damage variance.

Blackhawk1313 on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    To be fair, you're just returning. While I'm sure some folks in the same boat, just using the best gear they have; we have a long history of folks just looking to get as large a number as possible, regardless if they end up losing damage overall. Nothing personal against you, just something we've complained about for years on end :)

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    I could see gearing Akstar with a 2h GS if you have Cloud's Vision Card maxed out but not Akstar's, that 100 raw ATK from the card is nice. It'd be pretty easy to make up for the % ATK with katana passives that Akstar has with materia, Cloud's card gives 100% ATK with a GS which makes it easier.

I'm in that similar boat, I have a maxed out Cloud card, but I need more cactuar cards to level Akstar's. But, I'm still using Akstar's card on Akstar since Rain or Cloud is usually using Cloud's card. I also need to level Rain's card, I dig the defensive boosts on it. It's easy to get %ATK on DPS, but extra survivability is nice.

For other cards, like the VotD or airship cards, I should just merge those together if I get dupes, right? They get a nice XP boost if you fuse the same card, and I bet it'd ne better to have one leveled as a backup option than have multiple at level 1.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Yeah, the weaker cards are best fused into dupes. The Scorpion Sentinal card may be an exception since you may want multiple copies of it at level 1 for arena. That 4k barrier is so nice there.

Cruor on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I don't have any card maxed yet excluding the 4th anniversary ones that already were maxed to begin with. It's not like I'm overflowing with metal cactaur cards, nor any duplicates. I really haven't been paying attention to how I've been getting the cards in the first place, to be honest.

I continue to find the half price awakening useful; I've got a clump of characters that I just needed the money to awaken.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Yeah sorry about that lamenting my lack of stuff on return. Filling holes quickly and appreciated the mention on it ultimately because now he’s sitting at 4400 ATK using a 2H katana.

• Options
    I thought I would be able to get NVA Lasswell to EX+1, but I'm 20 shards short. I guess I need 1 more 5* copy to convert. For some reason, I thought we got 50 shards for Lasswell from login bonuses.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Tiphares wrote: »
    I thought I would be able to get NVA Lasswell to EX+1, but I'm 20 shards short. I guess I need 1 more 5* copy to convert. For some reason, I thought we got 50 shards for Lasswell from login bonuses.

Yeah, just the 30. I spent two Overdrive tickets to get the remaining shards. I have my EX+1 Lasswell up in my favorites at the moment, built for beast killer for Coeurl/Intangir EX. Don't know how much use people will get out of him, however, as most people are just Tifapunching things to death.

Cruor on
  • Options
    Finally back over 100k Lapis. Wonder what banner will eventually take that Lapis away. I'll wait for the info on NV Elena, but I'm leaning towards not pulling for her at the moment.

I'm hoping they drop an NVA or two with the new Elena, but they didn't show anything on the update video. But that could mean either 1) they didn't plan an NVA for the Elena banner or 2) didn't want reveal that in case people decided to wait before pulling for Yoshikiri or something.

• Options
    A lot of people are theorizing we will get NVA Aileen with NV Elena, but I severely doubt this. If that happened we would get a Insignia farming stage for Aileen alone, because she definitely wouldn't use GLEX Insignias.

As for who should be the NVA? Fryevia makes the most sense to me, but I wouldn't say no to Olive. If it's Fryevia I'd have to pull more of her or buy her shards to get her to EX+1, but Olive I could EX+1 immediately.

• Options
    Man these ‘premium’ tickets are constantly terrible. All golds all the time.

• Options
    Man these ‘premium’ tickets are constantly terrible. All golds all the time.

They have the same exact rainbow rates as normal 10+1 tickets. They're mostly hot garbage but good for TMR/trust coin fodder.

Random ticket dropped Itachi#2, pretty happy with that. I'd be pretty glad to randomly snag her STMR at some point. She could also have some use in DV especially against ice weak stages. Breaking/BS chaining/120% ice Imperil could be pretty good.

• Options
    Huh, NVA Loren with NV Elena. I don't even have her STMR so bah. No GLEX NVA does not give me confidence that they're going to actually make GLEX NVAs.

• Options
    In 4 years of FFBE, I've only pulled 1 Loren and that was about a month ago. I guess I'll have a chance to get more of her since she'll be an on-banner 5* now. I do have 42 NV EX tickets (15x NV/5*) to burn through first.

I've been throwing random tickets at the Yoshi/Itachi banner trying to get something on-banner. I've gotten 3 or 4 rainbows and they've all been off-banner. Someone on reddit pointed out that the on-banner rate is 1.5% for Itachi and 7.25% for off-banner 5*s. It's almost as hard to get Itachi as it is to get Yoshi. That's so wrong!

• Options
    In other news. DV has been extended to 2 weeks!! That takes a lot of pressure off of that event.

• Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    Loren and Elena are two of my all time favorites, so I'm looking forward to this banner. The Gumi hate train is chugging along over on the sub reddit, and they're not entirely wrong that the lack of a safety net on these banners sucks, but whatever.

• Options
    Huh, NVA Loren with NV Elena. I don't even have her STMR so bah. No GLEX NVA does not give me confidence that they're going to actually make GLEX NVAs.

I'm sure we'll get them eventually, I think it more shows that the GL-arm of Gumi was not at all ready for this NV push. Whether they chose to accelerate or it was forced on them, the cracks are definitely showing. Yoshikiri's kit looks like a Frankenstein'd 7* unit. Elena's doesn't look much better; though since she was just a DPS, boosting her mods is probably all they need to do really. No time to develop Global NVA's.
    If you think about the original timeline, NV units were added with JP's 4.5 anniversary, which for Global is in like... late January. That's a lot of development time for these units that Gumi just lost. Thinking about it, it's seriously made me temper my expectations for Halloween. I wouldn't be surprised if Christmas or even the Design Units early next year are the first "real" Global-exclusive NV units that were developed that way from the ground up.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I used a few tickets just now for the Summon Unit daily quest and got a rainbow - MI Lasswell #3. I guess I'm not going to get anything on the Yoshi/Itachi banner. Maybe that means I'll have better luck on the Starlight Elena banner.

Tiphares on
  • Options
    Oh hey, news confirms that NV Elena can equip Astraea, which is great because unless she can natively equip bows 2H hybrid weapons are hard to come by.