D&D 5E: On Wings of Midnight

14243454748

Posts

  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 29
    Baber also steps into the pond and makes their way into the cave, lighting up with a warm orange and yellow color

    Their armor currently isn't active, and they have their trident in hand, pokey bits at the ready

    Darmak on
    V0iJ9AS.png
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hado will keep the dragonettes swaddled against his chest for the time being. He'll follow Baber, wading through the water into the cave just behind them.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Khali’s Cave

    No sooner do you enter you begin to hear slow, deep croaking.

    There’s two large toads in here, twice the size of any you’ve seen yet, but not exactly monstrous. On closer inspection they’re... a bit off. One has five legs, the other three eyes.

    naid7qrj7bgq.jpeg

    Your vision is clear, bright light pervades the cave. You won’t need to light a torch for this one. The source of this light is hard to describe... you think it’s moving. Is the light alive?

    wcvvscvlon7p.jpeg

    Further into the cave branches off in two directions over a craggy wall. You’ll have to climb up it to head further into the cave. You can easily make the climb.

    What do you do?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited September 30
    Gear, currently a moron, would like to know more about the toads &/or the Moving living lights!

    Geth roll 1d20+1 for Nature

    Nature:
    1d20+1 20 [1d20=19]

    The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 30
    Just from looking at the toads, they are what they are, toads that have been born wrong.

    The lights are worms! Despite it all they’re not magical in nature, and you don’t think they’ve been adversely affected by anything. You reckon you could gather a bunch and crush them into a paste and use them as an ingredient for a potion or component in an invention. You’re not short on light sources though.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    "Ooooooooooookay. Toads-what-born wrong, gloworms, and i got a creepy vision about this place which had animal corpses filling the water. Ya sure this ist he right place, mate?" Gear says to hado.

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    "Huh, I ain't ever seen that before," Baber whispers. "Hado, you're the one good with animals. You take the lead"

    V0iJ9AS.png
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    "This is the right place. Something must have gone wrong here. Let's see if we can go two-for-two on spooky problem caves, maybe this one will be less Urdretch-filled than the last."

    Hado will lead the way towards the left-hand passage, dragonettes still attached to his chest.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The toads hop away as you march on. A quick scramble up the wall and you come across a most unexpected sight.

    Furniture. Old and ornate wooden furniture. Looks to be three chairs, a pale, veiled king-sized bed, a thin sword on a rack (it’s not a design New Zellatian’s go for) and far into the corner, a hefty oak wardrobe.

    The roof of the cave slopes down, giving the whole scene a strange perspective.


    k3zzdv1x0qop.jpeg



    Map reference:
    - The darker purple indicates full-cover, you can just above see over the top of these rocks if you step up it slightly.
    - The blue is crack in the stone floor, about 5 feet deep and slanted.
    - Orange is the furniture. Yellow is the sword rack.
    - The dotted spaces are where the roof of this section of the cave drops down. It’s only 5 feet high. You’ll have disadvantage if you attempt anything here, save for Gear.

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((...I was waiting for Endless to post, only to remember i never replied to this. uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, hang on))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited October 1
    Gear heads foward cautiously. She looks... nauseous. "Guys, i think i might need to rest... reall soon. Maybe on the bed? the hopefully not suspicious at all bed. But i need to rest."

    Gear's going to do her best to investigate the area, looking for anything of note, and any traps. Hopefully, Hado can guidance her because boy does she need it right now.

    Geth roll 1d20+1d4+1

    ((Just imagine, this could be a 26))

    1d20+1d4+1 21 [1d20=19] [1d4=1]

    The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Is Gear just looking around? Up close or from a distance?

    Where does Gear end up? Mark it on the map.

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((I dont have a map link, dood? She's moving cautiously foward, probably into the 5ft area, assuming the rest of the party is following her and keeping a level eye out so there's people to help her if shit goes sideways. Which it probably will, these are clearly mimics.

    But the intent is she's heading in slowly and taking her time to look at the furniture, see if this is a safe space where they could rest and let gear get back on her feet, as she's currently feeling awful and not herself))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    [OOC: Just put it in whatever app you like and draw a big X.]

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited October 1
    [OOC: Just put it in whatever app you like and draw a big X.]

    ((You got any recommendations for something quick and easy to use?))

    nber1nsurx7a.jpeg

    The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((Just asking for refs for future refrence @Endless_Serpents - i did this on pc in paint, but i dont have drawing apps on my phone!))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Gear

    You lightly tap a chair with your foot. Nothing.

    You don’t make any further attempts to touch any furniture, but they appear to be mundane, inanimate.

    The silk veil over the bed is beaded with water, but overall the bed doesn’t look dirty or rotten. None of the furniture is in terrible condition considering the environment around it.

    You don’t find any traps by looking.

    [OOC: That was fine. I want nothing more complex from you than that.

    Your photos on your phone should have the most basic editing tools in it. I’m only even on my phone for this campaign.]

    The Zombie Penguin
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    If the rest of the party is cool with it, Gear would like to take a Short Rest, with them on perimeter while she recovers from her card induced mistreatment.

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((Actually one second check))

    Now that gear's closer and things seem trapless... did i notice any signs of recent habitation?

    Another roll if it's needed:

    Geth roll 1d20+1d4+1 for Second Investigate

    Second Investigate:
    1d20+1d4+1 19 [1d20=17] [1d4=1]

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Baber hunches over and walks to the wardrobe in the corner and looks at it without touching.

    "I don't why, but I kind of feel like we're intruding in someone's home. A really weird home, in the middle of a cave. Out in the wilderness. It's creepy, y'all."

    V0iJ9AS.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((Insight check it maybe? ...odd use of insight, but seems like an insight thing! Gear just wnats to rest because she feels awful right now))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    "Yeah Gear, if you need to take a break then go for it. We'll look out for whoever calls this place home."

    [OOC: Baber isn't doing any actual serious poking around the roon, just kind of wandering idly.]

    V0iJ9AS.png
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hado probably notices the shift in Gear's behavior. "Go ahead and take a break, Gear. We'll keep an eye out."

    The dragonettes are very restless, squirming and demanding to be let out now that they realize they're in a new, cozy cave. Hado has no choice but to unwrap them and set them both down.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The white one, who seems to be the scout of the pair, takes flight and lands clumsy on top of the bed, sinking into the veil over it. It clambers, ripping up the veil as the water droplets on it run into a pool in the middle. Eventually it makes it to the edge, and leans over to look around the cave. Water drops through onto the sheets.

    The black one runs off and makes a slow, reptilian attempt at climbing into a chair.

    Gear, as you sit down on the cool cave floor (you’re naturally suspicious of this weird set-up), you consider that someone, or something, is living here.

    You are now taking a short rest.

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((Wnat me to narrate Gear returning to normal, or do you wanna move us along?))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    [OOC: Yeah, go for it.

    As per the rules: “A short rest is a period of downtime, at least 1 hour long, during which a character does nothing more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds.”

    So if any of you have an idea, now’s the time to do it.]

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Slowly, as everyone watches, Gear's color returns to normal, the black draining out of her like ink, the blue turning back to shining gold as if being polished, the electric blue of her eyes overwhelming the orange. By the end of things, Gear looks al ot happier, even as her crown also goes poof. Soon teh only sign she's ever been through whatever ordeal that was is the tiny orange flecks in her eyes.

    "okay. That was weird and unpleasant and i did not like it." She inspects the pack of cards slowly, and then stows it. "I wonder if there's a way to control what results i get out of this? For all that was unpleasnet... i could see how to talk to people, how to have them listen to me, how to project my personality. But... all my skills, my knowledge, it was foggy."

    Gear's facilites restorted, she also takes the time to tinker with her infusions - releasing the infusion on her shield (Gear's AC has dropped to 19), and Infusing Gear's Goggles with the Goggles of Night. She pulls these down over her eyes. "We should explore this cave more. I want to know what on earth is up with this bed, wardrobe, and weapons... and i dont want to leave the dragons somewhere unsafe."

    She twists her mouth wrly. "or somewhere where they'll be a problem for our city in the future."

    ((OOC: Gear currently has 60 ft of Darkvision! also, Endless, she's using Gear's Goggles as the base:

    Gear’s Goggles__
    While they are currently mundane, they have great potential! The effect of an infusion or enchantment placed upon it will be boosted slightly.
    ))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    In the time you’ve taken to rest, life in the cave has taken note of you. Distant calls echo resound through the illuminated dark.



    With the cards magic faded from Gear, you’re free to move on.

    Gear! You have in fact gain 80 feet of Darkvision!

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited October 1
    Scouting out further north, Manini calls back with what they see.

    ri1t5vbdsa4e.jpeg

    “There are numerous small holes into the rock floor, some tall boulders covered in those luminous worms and a few pools. I can’t see the bottom, so I am cautious to check.”, they say, their voice echoing loudly.

    They return shortly and ask what you intend to do next.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear uses magical tinkering to give a light to everyone else in the party.

    "With the Google's, I can scout ahead for us. My Cape even lets me move faster as long as it's dark... So. Wanna explore the cave and make sure it's safe for our little friends?"

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    What’s your play here exactly? Are you going alone, yeah?

    Can you give me a rough mark where you’re headed?

  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hado will go ahead with Gear, stopping just short of the holes in the floor. He'll give Gear guidance for her to better investigate the next obstacle.

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear will head up slowly in the front, probably about 30-40ft ahead of the party. Far enough that if shit goes South, she can book it back to everyone. She's going to be taking her time, so... Assume she's actively paying attention with her passive perception/passive investigate (13 and 16 respectively) whichever you deem appropriate.

    Once it's safe, she'll call Hado and the rest up to figure out how the holes work.

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for stealth

    ge93lfqjy4bb.jpg

    stealth:
    1d20+4 6 [1d20=2]

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear will do all this while talking excitedly about the scientific significance of the rocks around her!

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Darmak
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited October 1
    lb22vfcw7lq9.jpeg

    Gear

    You walk slow, hunkering down by rocks and up against the cave wall until you make it just passed the holes. Each one is between an inch and a foot in diameter. Without getting down on all fours and staring into them all you know is they’re deep and dark.

    Up on a boulder five beasts are slumbering together (A). Pack mentality, you suppose, predatory from their bulk, rely on strength and speed. You can back off from the area without waking them. Otherwise you’ll have to make a Stealth check to continue further into the cave.

    To the east you hear a repetitive chirping noise, like a cricket. You can’t see what. You assume at least two creatures. (<<< represents the sound)

    Hado

    You couldn’t get the dragonettes to leave the bed area with simple commands. You can spend time trying to catch them again, with a successful Animal Handling check, but it’ll take five minutes at least.

    For now they look like they’re going to stay there.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The beasts sleeping on the boulder.

    7zofsnzsd5fc.jpeg

    DarmakTynnan
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hado doesn't mind that the dragonettes are making themselves at home. Better they're there than running ahead into the unknown cavern!

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear heads back to the party and reports what she's found. "There's big... Predatory sleeping cat things. Tentacles and two sets of forelimbs. They look nasty, but I'm hesitant to just kill them for no reason. Some sort of cricket things too.

    So. What's the play? So I scout more? Do we try and bring those creatures down? What?"

    Gear takes a moment to think. "I could also try looking for magic, see if there's any sign of... Whoever or whatever lives here and glue they interact with things. I can do it fast, or I can do it slow - slow will save me energy, but it'll take a lot of time"

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    "I'm okay with you taking your time, go slow and quiet. I don't know what those are but I don't want a fight if I can help it. Maybe Hado can calm them down if they get pissed? I'll stay back for now and get ready to help if there is a fight."

    Baber backs up a bit and activates their Ancient Ensemble, covering their body with the hexagonal plates and dimming their glow (which they extinguish anyway to help from being discovered)

    V0iJ9AS.png
Sign In or Register to comment.