As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

National Protests are Still a Thing Because of [Police Brutality]

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    In our morning meeting today saw, on somebody’s desk, a printed cartoon meme reading “All lives matter ... stay out of the road” with a cartoon car running through multiple cartoon people.

It was on his desk, not posted up, and half obscured by another piece of paper. I’m not sure if he’s actually intending to post this trash up in his cubicle or not. Obviously he’s now on my list of human beings I have zero respect for and dislike intensely. Even being as charitable as possible and assuming just massive ignorance, I no longer have patience for that shit.

I’m leaning toward letting that be that for now, provided he doesn’t actually put it up. If he does actually display it, I am 100% ready to make that a thing. Both personally, and up the chain. Fuck I hate working with the people I work with sometimes.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    mcdermott wrote: »
    In our morning meeting today saw, on somebody’s desk, a printed cartoon meme reading “All lives matter ... stay out of the road” with a cartoon car running through multiple cartoon people.

It was on his desk, not posted up, and half obscured by another piece of paper. I’m not sure if he’s actually intending to post this trash up in his cubicle or not. Obviously he’s now on my list of human beings I have zero respect for and dislike intensely. Even being as charitable as possible and assuming just massive ignorance, I no longer have patience for that shit.

I’m leaning toward letting that be that for now, provided he doesn’t actually put it up. If he does actually display it, I am 100% ready to make that a thing. Both personally, and up the chain. Fuck I hate working with the people I work with sometimes.
    If it's printed, chances are someone gave it to them. I'd give it a day and see what happens.

But with anything with work, be careful about the path you tread. This has the chance to get disturbingly political in a bad way.

zepherin on
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »

If it's printed, chances are someone gave it to them. I'd give it a day and see what happens.

But with anything with work, be careful about the path you tread. This has the chance to get disturbingly political in a bad way.

Yeah, fair point on somebody potentially giving it to him.

I definitely wouldn’t bother to say shit unless he put it up prominently. If he does, I’m comfortable at the least addressing it head on. It’s not a political message, it’s literally (through the included visual) advocating violence against others. I’d probably have to be relatively diplomatic about it, but only because I am in a leadership position. Which I shouldn’t be if I’m not willing and able to address some dumb shit like that.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I have definitely had shit put on my desk or emailed to me at work that I do not agree with. Luckily my works upper management is super conservative, so I wouldnt likely get in trouble for that.

Still, imo just seeing on a desk is not enough of a case to report someone. And if you are like me, you might find management siding against you.

Edit: I've also heard management at several different locations, including HR, make questionable at best jokes.

Lesson to everyone, unless proven other wise do not assume HR is on your side. They exist to help the company run smoothly, not to look out for employees.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Rayshard Brooks' family held a press conf this morning and the last cousin that spoke was so powerfully moving and emotional that the whole family started crying and they all had to leave. :cry:

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    What's really frustrating is that nearly 20 years later, talking to my dad, cannot convince him that police are corrupt. Fucking goddammit.

The closest comparison is #MeToo, in that being able to abuse your power was understood to be an unspoken benefit of having power. So, is "the way that things are done" and "something they deserve since they worked hard for it" instead of something wrong that has to change.

• Options
    edited June 2020

Yeah, fair point on somebody potentially giving it to him.

I definitely wouldn’t bother to say shit unless he put it up prominently. If he does, I’m comfortable at the least addressing it head on. It’s not a political message, it’s literally (through the included visual) advocating violence against others. I’d probably have to be relatively diplomatic about it, but only because I am in a leadership position. Which I shouldn’t be if I’m not willing and able to address some dumb shit like that.

I meant political in an office politics at not in a national politics way. Office politics are bullshit but can have a definite effect on quality of life if minefields are not avoided.

zepherin on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I always wonder how much commercials actually effect voter opinion, but this is a particularly good one focusing on Trump’s failures as a human being re: race

https://youtu.be/g5Xpwyd4aMM

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Woof.

Run that 24/7

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Is that footage of Graham from the 2016 primary season?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    That can certainly appeal to the moderate Republicans... If they even exist anymore. (Maybe they're just pretending to be independent or libertarian.)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Winky wrote: »
    Instead of calling local officials for 8cantwait reforms, call and talk to them about 8toabolition.

8cantwait reforms are already present in many of the same communities with horrible police violence and the promises of a "72% reduction" in police violence are based on some extremely faulty statistical interpretation.

So you may have seen the "8 Can't Wait" policies for police reform circulating the last few days. Since most of their hype comes from being "data-driven," I've taken a deeper look at the data.

A thread:

What the thread boils down to is: "more policies = fewer police killings" is technically sorta correct based on the data, but the effect size is tiny. Heck in the original report, it's established that race and number of arrests are much more significant variables. Also, the "72% reduction" number is nonsense. It's just saying "every individual policy reduces it by 15% so if you go from 0 to 8 you'd see a 72% reduction". Which is silly both because most departments don't have zero of these policies in place and also because that's just nonsense that it isn't possible to support. Also the departments that have implemented the most of these reforms on their own are likely to behave differently than other departments for reasons that don't relate to the reforms. It's a mess!

Instead of calling your reps/etc for this, just call them and ask them to defund the police.

Worth noting Chicago meets all of these already. Clearly they haven't fixed the problem.

Even the 8-can't-wait people aren't saying it will fix the problem. Just reduce it. By how much seems to be the question.

And afaik from other studies, police killings of unarmed black people have been going down in major cities. In part because of reform efforts. They just aren't going down enough. (and also apparently being partially off-set by a rise in police killings in more exurban and rural areas)

EDIT: Oh right, another "fun" fact from some of these studies is that according to the Police Use of Force Project there are 8 cities in the US where the rate of police killing black men is higher then the US average murder rate.

shryke on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    South Korean embassy hung a Black Lives Matter banner, and had a flag up for Pride month and the White House ordered both removed.

Ana Cabrera of CNN: At request of State Dept leadership, the US Embassy in Seoul, South Korea, has removed a large banner for the Black Lives Matter movement and taken down a rainbow flag that celebrates LGBTQ pride.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Apparently, it's not a once-in-a-lifetime way to...ahem...commit suicide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Chavis_Carter

Looks like it was a thing that (reportedly) happened once a year between 2012 and 2014.

That dude was definitely murdered, but the bit about being left-handed is actually completely irrelevant.

video snip

34:00 in.

Sherlock Holmes was written by someone who had an education from the late 1800s. Granted he was a doctor, but saying that, literally 100 years later that some of the plot elements don't hold up is kind of bullshit. It's the equivalent of calling The Adventures of Tom Sawyer garbage because there issues we can see with 100 years of knowledge that Mark Twain didn't necessarily have.

This is more than a little off-topic, but since you've decided to critique a critique...

The show being called out was written in the last ten years be someone who received an education in the late 1900s. So while the plot points of the original Sherlock Holmes as written by Arthur Conan Doyle can be excused for their time, it is incredibly okay to point out that Steven Moffat is a bit of a hack.

And the point still stands that pointing out handedness is an at best outdated piece of sleuthing.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular

"California's three biggest police unions unveiled a reform plan to root out racist cops."

Basically the police doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15HTd4Um1m4

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That can certainly appeal to the moderate Republicans... If they even exist anymore. (Maybe they're just pretending to be independent or libertarian.)

More of them among voters than elected officials.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Even if the CA union thing is just a half assed CYA, it's still interesting that they've now changed their tune.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

"California's three biggest police unions unveiled a reform plan to root out racist cops."
    A national database of former police officers fired for gross misconduct that prevents other agencies from hiring them. (California is one of just five states that has no process for permanently revoking cops’ badges for serious crimes or misconduct).

A national use-of-force standard that emphasizes a reverence for life, de-escalation, a duty to intercede if witnessing excessive force or misconduct, proportional responses to dangerous incidents and strong accountability provisions.

An early warning system to identify officers that may need more training and mentoring. (San Francisco PD already has a system like this).

Ongoing and frequent crisis intervention and de-escalation training of police officers to build and refresh skills to improve police and community outcomes.

A transparent and publicly accessible use-of-force analysis website so that the public can monitor when and how force is used.

I dunno I think those are all objectively good ideas that we should absolutely put in place for whatever we replace police with.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Even if the CA union thing is just a half assed CYA, it's still interesting that they've now changed their tune.

Plenty of industries fight against self regulation only to abruptly change as soon as the writing's on the wall and government regulation is incoming. Basically, this is the police creating their own version of the ESRB so they can say the problem is solved as well as it ever can be.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

A national database of former police officers fired for gross misconduct that prevents other agencies from hiring them. (California is one of just five states that has no process for permanently revoking cops’ badges for serious crimes or misconduct).

A national use-of-force standard that emphasizes a reverence for life, de-escalation, a duty to intercede if witnessing excessive force or misconduct, proportional responses to dangerous incidents and strong accountability provisions.

An early warning system to identify officers that may need more training and mentoring. (San Francisco PD already has a system like this).

Ongoing and frequent crisis intervention and de-escalation training of police officers to build and refresh skills to improve police and community outcomes.

A transparent and publicly accessible use-of-force analysis website so that the public can monitor when and how force is used.

I dunno I think those are all objectively good ideas that we should absolutely put in place for whatever we replace police with.

Yeah, these are all good.

If the union is even half-considering these (even putting them out there bad faith or to undermine / water them down) it shows they are starting to realize just how badly they screwed the pooch the past few weeks. This is a staggeringly huge concession on their part and shows just how much and how hard everything has shifted against the police.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    They will sacrifice low rank racists to protect the higher ranking ones.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    40% of police-investigated deaths are uncleared in the US normally. I would be hesitant to go full conspiracy of "police don't know who did it but that's because they did it." (I'm also curious if ruling things suicides allows them to clear a death; can't find any literature on that)

Oh, I'm definitely not saying the police are involved in all of them. There's a very large percentage that they just straight don't give a fuck about. A prostitute of a minority was found dead on the streets? Whatever, file that away with the fifty others. That's how serial killers are able to get away with it for decades; they know to target people the police couldn't care less about.

There's more than one systemic problem with the cops. Bastards are cruel, corrupt, lazy, and often incompetent too.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    40% of police-investigated deaths are uncleared in the US normally. I would be hesitant to go full conspiracy of "police don't know who did it but that's because they did it." (I'm also curious if ruling things suicides allows them to clear a death; can't find any literature on that)

Oh, I'm definitely not saying the police are involved in all of them. There's a very large percentage that they just straight don't give a fuck about. A prostitute of a minority was found dead on the streets? Whatever, file that away with the fifty others. That's how serial killers are able to get away with it for decades; they know to target people the police couldn't care less about.

There's more than one systemic problem with the cops. Bastards are cruel, corrupt, lazy, and often incompetent too.
    Yes.

Although determining cause of death is the coroners office, or medical examiners office. And as we learned from John Oliver the Coroner, often doesn’t even have a college degree. Let alone a medical degree.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    In Tone Deaf news:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/06/15/nascar-team-races-back-blue-car-show-support-law-enforcement/
    On Saturday, Mike Harmon Racing unveiled what it described as a “Thin Blue Line” paint scheme for a Chevrolet it was entering in Xfinity Series races at Florida’s Homestead-Miami Speedway that day and Sunday. The traditional “Thin Blue Line” design, featuring a blue stripe against a black background, was shown on each side of the car, with “Back the Blue” over each rear wheel.

The flag, which incorporated the “Thin Blue Line” design into a version of the Stars and Stripes, was reportedly created in 2014 by a 19-year-old University of Michigan student. That person, Andrew Jacob, said in 2018 to Harper’s that the “black above [the blue stripe] represents citizens, and the black below represents criminals.”

Supporters of the “Blue Lives Matter” phrase and the flag say they honor police officers, as well as other first responders such as firefighters and emergency medical personnel, for performing difficult, dangerous and often thankless work.

Some critics assert that, unlike with too many black people, deaths of police officers are almost always thoroughly investigated and receive great attention. Evidence that the “Blue Lives Matter” flag has become enmeshed in far-right culture emerged during the violent 2017 demonstrations in Charlottesville, where it was spotted next to Confederate flags and other symbols being toted by white supremacists and neo-Nazis.

I don't see the article saying which team normally sponsors Mr. Harmon, but it looks like he is fine riding the far-right sponsor wave.

Mike Harmon Racing has used its cars to make political expressions in the past. In February, it raced one with a “Trump 2020″ paint scheme in the Xfinity Series season opener in Daytona Beach, Fla.

The team’s “Back the Blue” entry finish 33rd out of 37 cars Saturday and 35th out of 38 Sunday. Weatherman was unable to complete either race, bowing out Sunday because of “fire,” according to the official results.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    They will sacrifice low rank racists to protect the higher ranking ones.

Well... there is more of them and they tend to be in more contact with the public so they cause more of the bad publicity. Less bad publicity=RACISM TOTALLY SOLVED(please ignore all structural racist crap that the higher ranks used to justify their budgets)

Its not good enough, but its obvious that some of the smarter piggies are seeing the butchers knife being sharped.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I think I mentioned this only in SE++ but in unexpected consequences the King Leopold Ranges in Western Australia will be renamed, because having mountains named after the person whose atrocities coined the phrase "crimes against humanity" for the entire reason that some white guy wandered around naming everything he saw after royalty of the time just seemed like a really bad idea. You know, for reasons.

The government has been asking the regional Aboriginal groups what a better name would be.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    That article says

but the ad the cops took out says
    A national use-of-force standard that emphasizes a reverence for life, de-escalation, a duty to intercede if witnessing excessive force or misconduct, proportional responses to dangerous incidents and strong accountability provisions mirrored after the Los Angeles Police Department.

Yes, please, let's nationalize our use of force policies around the famously nonviolent and unproblematic LAP fucking D.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    That article says

but the ad the cops took out says
    A national use-of-force standard that emphasizes a reverence for life, de-escalation, a duty to intercede if witnessing excessive force or misconduct, proportional responses to dangerous incidents and strong accountability provisions mirrored after the Los Angeles Police Department.

Yes, please, let's nationalize our use of force policies around the famously nonviolent and unproblematic LAP fucking D.

Which is why any reforms suggested by cops to be implemented by cops is a fucking joke. And a bad one. Training on de-escalation will be laughed at, either in the room or later, and any new policies will be enforced by the same rotten chain enforcing current policy.

LAPD has, presumably, robust politics on use of force and discipline.

Doesn’t matter, because cops cover for cops. That’s the whole ACAB thing.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    LAPD has some of the most thorough and strict use of force documentation in the country because the whole department was gutted and rebuilt after RAMPART revealed scores of officers were literally a murderous drug gang.

None of that matter in practice obviously, but there is a reason they are citing the LAPD in 2020.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Hmmm. I wonder who else in history was really good at documenting their atrocities? 🤔

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    LAPD has some of the most thorough and strict use of force documentation in the country because the whole department was gutted and rebuilt after RAMPART revealed scores of officers were literally a murderous drug gang.

None of that matter in practice obviously, but there is a reason they are citing the LAPD in 2020.

So they fill out their forms in triplicate to very strictly document the magic words that mean they're not guilty of anything, and then multiple superiors will very thoughtfully rubber stamp it?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    In Tone Deaf news:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/06/15/nascar-team-races-back-blue-car-show-support-law-enforcement/
    On Saturday, Mike Harmon Racing unveiled what it described as a “Thin Blue Line” paint scheme for a Chevrolet it was entering in Xfinity Series races at Florida’s Homestead-Miami Speedway that day and Sunday. The traditional “Thin Blue Line” design, featuring a blue stripe against a black background, was shown on each side of the car, with “Back the Blue” over each rear wheel.

The flag, which incorporated the “Thin Blue Line” design into a version of the Stars and Stripes, was reportedly created in 2014 by a 19-year-old University of Michigan student. That person, Andrew Jacob, said in 2018 to Harper’s that the “black above [the blue stripe] represents citizens, and the black below represents criminals.”

Supporters of the “Blue Lives Matter” phrase and the flag say they honor police officers, as well as other first responders such as firefighters and emergency medical personnel, for performing difficult, dangerous and often thankless work.

Some critics assert that, unlike with too many black people, deaths of police officers are almost always thoroughly investigated and receive great attention. Evidence that the “Blue Lives Matter” flag has become enmeshed in far-right culture emerged during the violent 2017 demonstrations in Charlottesville, where it was spotted next to Confederate flags and other symbols being toted by white supremacists and neo-Nazis.

I don't see the article saying which team normally sponsors Mr. Harmon, but it looks like he is fine riding the far-right sponsor wave.

Mike Harmon Racing has used its cars to make political expressions in the past. In February, it raced one with a “Trump 2020″ paint scheme in the Xfinity Series season opener in Daytona Beach, Fla.

The team’s “Back the Blue” entry finish 33rd out of 37 cars Saturday and 35th out of 38 Sunday. Weatherman was unable to complete either race, bowing out Sunday because of “fire,” according to the official results.

Why is it ok to deface the flag in the name of the police? Where are all the good ole boys pitching a fit about disrespect and the military lives sacrificed?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    In Tone Deaf news:

Why is it ok to deface the flag in the name of the police? Where are all the good ole boys pitching a fit about disrespect and the military lives sacrificed?

Because it is only okay when they do it.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    In Tone Deaf news:

Because it is only okay when they do it.

Rules are for THOSE people to follow. The law is wielded as a cudgel with intense technicality against out-groups, while in-groups can do whatever they want as long as they're in the same clanas the fascist overlords, or at least in their favor. Favor can be withdrawn at a moment's notice, mind you.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Frank Wilhoit: “Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” This seems increasingly true.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Frank Wilhoit: “Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” This seems increasingly true.

This quote should be in the opening post of not just this thread, but every thread even tangentially related to politics.

Would save a lot of time. :)

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

The end result of that philosophy seems to lead inevitably to fascism. Concurrently that leads to the oppressed taking matters into their own hands since the law offers them no respite.

I hope we can short circuit and avoid the future that history says we are in for.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    WashPo: No longer untouchable, Lee statue becomes focus of civic outpouring in Richmond

This is a good story of the insanity of our universe at the moment. At least from a few specific people.
    “We want to create a peaceful atmosphere to protest,” said Jasmine Kelley, 29, who heads a group called Tuko Pamoja — Swahili for “We are Together.” She and other volunteers gave away colorful poster board, markers and other supplies this weekend so people could make signs.

The statue’s transformation after 130 years of idealizing the “Lost Cause” began 18 days ago, when Richmond erupted like other cities across the country in protest over police brutality against African Americans.

It was at Lee’s feet that city police tear-gassed peaceful demonstrators on June 1, and it was along the traffic circle surrounding the statue that a police SUV drove through a crowd of protesters Saturday night, bumping into several. Both events set off ferocious nighttime demonstrations. Early Monday, after an hours-long standoff at police headquarters, officers in riot gear fired tear gas to disperse the angry crowd.

I think this part needs pictures:

PXBHC5FPCEI6VGFVE6NGI6NB4Q.jpg&w=916
    Later that day, a white woman approached the statue wearing a straw hat and a hoop skirt reminiscent of the Civil War era. Escorted by a man in modern clothes, she drifted past homemade memorials to African Americans killed by police and knelt on the colorful graffiti of the statue’s base. She kissed her fingers, then touched the monument reverently.

Onlookers stared.

“I am a Confederate woman during the 1860s, and I support Lee,” the woman said when asked about her dress. “We wanted to see this monument before they take it down. I’m very sad to see the marking on it. It’s such a beautiful piece of history. There was nothing racist about Robert E. Lee.”

The pair would not give their full names but said they were from North Carolina. She identified herself as Lauren, 24, and he said he was Joshua, 36...

As the couple strolled slowly around the traffic circle, Pascal Guirma, 59, a black man from New York, approached them. He said he was interested in hearing their beliefs.

In a low Carolina drawl, Lauren began listing whate we described as Lee’s positive qualities: He was humble. He hated tyranny. He taught his slaves to read.

“But the operative word is ‘his slaves,’ ” said Guirma, a wealth management adviser who was in Richmond to visit his daughter, a ballet dancer. “As a black man, if I’m going by the statue, which is in remembrance of a guy who fought to maintain a system to own me — that’s not something I could feel proud of.”...

At this point, Guirma’s 20-year old daughter, Danielle, had heard enough. “Justify that — he’s a good man because he’s fighting for freedom under a system that wants to keep people enslaved?”

She turned to her father: “You can be calm and patient, but I’m not. I’m sorry.”

Lauren looked on implacably and said, “We’re not your slave masters, and you’re not our slaves.”

“Are you kidding me?” Danielle said. “Do you think that’s insightful — you’re not my slave master? Oh my God! I’ve got to walk away. I’m shaking.”

Guirma turned back to Lauren. He appreciated her honesty in expressing her views, he said. Conversations are “what we all need to have.”

But when he mentioned George Floyd, the black man killed in the custody of Minneapolis police, held under the knee of a white officer, Lauren dismissed Floyd as “a druggist” — apparently meaning a drug user.

Guirma’s daughter overheard and dove back in. “You should be ashamed of yourself!” she said.

Guirma stepped back with his wife and daughter. It had been a perfect echo of the dynamics playing out around the statue — the urge for civic engagement clashing with the sense among some, especially young people, that enough is enough.

“It just reinforces my idea that I have to try harder,” Guirma said. “You see how my daughter feels. I have to go a step further because somehow there has to be a conversation. The reaction of force begets force, violence begets violence — somewhere the cycle has to break.”

I grabbed some bits that are important/a big part of the story. Its overall a good read if you can get it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2020
    Another black man was found hanged in Houston, making that a total of 5 hangings in the last week

All were ruled suicides

It’s stretching credulity to say the least and we need answers now

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Man-found-dead-in-apparent-suicide-in-the-15341737.php

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Ah, so the lady is dressed up in remembrance of "the good old days". Y'know, the days when women couldn't vote, could be regularly beaten by their husband with zero consequences, were held in value only moderately above slaves, were wholly discounted as being independently intelligent individuals, and were respected mostly for their ability to bear as many male children as possible.

The fact that she completely misses the point that Jackson had slaves and was fighting to keep people as slaves as being the problems does not surprise me, considering the romanticized, utterly false slice of "better times" she decided to personify.

This discussion has been closed.