As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Throw Santa in the Maw for Secret Shamblers [SE++ WoW]

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Sorry about tonight folks. My mind was elsewhere with personal stuff. Sorry about standing in dumb shit.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »
    he is vanquished
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Please destroy me, Daddy.

tenor.gif?itemid=17915317

why would you not show heihachi yeeting kazuya

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    very good on sludgeman but then very bad on generals

lol survival

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I suspect Stone Generals will be easily reproducible but Sludgefist will be a jerk every single time

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I like the mechanics on SLG. Apparently they dont like my class though. Like I want to hold my burst until the first blade goes out because if I burst and get targetted by it, I pretty much lose my whole cooldown session. But then my damage sucks because the add is dead when I burst.

I just focused hard on the mechanics and fucked up a lot of damage because I wanted the kill though.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I like the mechanics on SLG. Apparently they dont like my class though. Like I want to hold my burst until the first blade goes out because if I burst and get targetted by it, I pretty much lose my whole cooldown session. But then my damage sucks because the add is dead when I burst.

I just focused hard on the mechanics and fucked up a lot of damage because I wanted the kill though.

Reason number ten thousand and forty that I hate logs is that this approach will generally get you kills, especially first kills, WAY FASTER than trying to optimize immediately.

Respecting mechanics gets you clears. And for me personally I care much more about stuff like the 'avoidable damage' section than ranks and parses.

Javen on
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm starting to hit a wall with Venthyr Fire. The whole thing is so clunky, to the point where on Sludgefist I was holding on to Combustion because I'd realistically only get to use it for two pillars, and it sucks because that's such a big part of my damage. Meanwhile with NF I could get it down to a minute CD, which would mean I could use it each pillar. I also have to imagine that's what's killing my rankings because so many fire mages are NF.

I just really don't want to do the renown grind if I don't have to.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    I feel like I'm starting to hit a wall with Venthyr Fire. The whole thing is so clunky, to the point where on Sludgefist I was holding on to Combustion because I'd realistically only get to use it for two pillars, and it sucks because that's such a big part of my damage. Meanwhile with NF I could get it down to a minute CD, which would mean I could use it each pillar. I also have to imagine that's what's killing my rankings because so many fire mages are NF.

I just really don't want to do the renown grind if I don't have to.

Having gotten an alt to 60 recently, renown didn’t feel like much of a burden. You catch up pretty easily by just doing content.

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    Having switched covenants yesterday, the only thing that renown truly affects is the campaign for your third soulbind. If you only play one or two specs then it's a non-issue.

Grats on the kill everyone!

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Switching is easy yeah. Honestly a LOT of the traits in soul binds after the first potency suck. Not until the second potency depending on class do they matter. And the bottom row.

Also lfr can get you renown quick unless you find a bad group of people. The normal raid if a group can plow through it. After that mythic dungeons. Just always do a swap before the world boss for the week because that is a free renown too guaranteed.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    So this weekend I need to start dipping my toes into some higher M+ so that I don’t stay stuck in this self perpetuating cycle where feel like I can’t do them with y’all because I haven’t done them yet.

So if anyone wants to run any let me know, I can heal or dps.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    So this weekend I need to start dipping my toes into some higher M+ so that I don’t stay stuck in this self perpetuating cycle where feel like I can’t do them with y’all because I haven’t done them yet.

Awesome, I am more than glad to help you out with that.

Incidentally, which resto legendary would you recommend for both M+ and raid settings? I know the riptide one is phenomenal for raiding, but a couple guides are saying the cloudburst totem one is really versatile and is useful in either one.

• Options
    Dys wrote: »

Awesome, I am more than glad to help you out with that.

Incidentally, which resto legendary would you recommend for both M+ and raid settings? I know the riptide one is phenomenal for raiding, but a couple guides are saying the cloudburst totem one is really versatile and is useful in either one.

The riptide helm is just stupid good.

I don’t remember a cloudburst one. Do you mean the one that makes mana tide reduce the cost and cast time of chain heal? I could see where having an additional throughput cool down that also forces you to remember that mana tide exists would be good.

• Options
    Oh, yup! Wrong totem name in my brain, there.

Probably going to make the riptide one next week, then, when I have enough soul ash for another max-level legendary.

• Options
    When I finish getting the PVP mount I would love to dive into higher m+. Though I really want to do them on my druid, they are infinitely more enjoyable both healing and dpsing.

I was thinking of learning to tank too. People were saying they never see bears and bear is pretty legit. Just looking at things I saw that you can get barkskin down to a 35 second CD, and the leggo that makes it a 30% DR, and gives ironfur AND frenzied regen at the beginning and end. That is 2 free frenzied regens every 35 seconds. That is quite absurd. Then there is the free frenzied regen when going below 40% health every 75 seconds, and a conduit to make frenzied regen heal more...

Seems like bear could be a good time. Then you always have convoke for some fun dps.

• Options

Now that I’ve finished KSM I have a lot more time to help folks out, so I’d be happy to do runs with you. I’ll be doing move-in stuff this weekend for my girlfriend’s new condo, so I can’t guarantee any particular timing but I’ll try to be around for a bit. I do really want to help get people over that anxiety you described, of not doing m+ for a lack of familiarity.

• Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    It’s a bummer when it feels like minor unfamiliarity can cause complete key meltdown
    Basically wiping on raid progression fragmented all over the place

mkc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    One nice thing is that the mob behaviors and mechanics and timings are all the same whether you’re doing a 7 or a 10 or a 17 key. The only thing that changes is numbers, and while that does become very important at high key levels where you’ll need to focus on the problems that causes, if you practice mechanics at low key levels you’ll understand how things work at higher keys. The one difference here is bringing prideful into the mix but to be honest, prideful is an affix that makes a dungeon easier, not harder.

It’s straightforward enough to practice kicking a lethal cast on keys where it isn’t necessarily lethal, as long as you know that that’s what you have to look out for at higher levels. Thinking about things like goresplatter, forsworn doctrine, rebellious fist, and certain boss mechanics like passing around xy’exa’s lightning properly. And so on.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    It's something that gear eventually can play a role in fixing; we've done +14s or +15s with over a dozen deaths and a bad wipe and still timed it

But yeah, if you're absolutely pushing, there's very little margin for error, and it sucks whenever you can point to that one thing to do different being the difference between pass and fail

• Options
    Why does that suck, though? If it’s something you can identify, then you’ve learned what needs to happen for the next run to succeed.

• Options
    I’m still not a huge fan of m+ in general but it feels like at this point I need to do it. Loot doesn’t drop quickly enough in raids anymore, and I can feel myself lagging behind in both gear and skill because I’m not getting this practice in.

• Options
    because it then becomes very easy for the time commitment when trying to achieve something to quickly compound, far moreso than stuff like raiding or PvP.

Plus there's the randomization to which key you get, which further exacerbates the time issue.

• Options
    I’m still not a huge fan of m+ in general but it feels like at this point I need to do it. Loot doesn’t drop quickly enough in raids anymore, and I can feel myself lagging behind in both gear and skill because I’m not getting this practice in.

I have bad news about M+ then, outside of using it to get big rewards in the weekly treasure chest.

• Options

I have bad news about M+ then, outside of using it to get big rewards in the weekly treasure chest.

If you’re doing little to no m+ and only generally low keys, it’s even slower!

• Options
    Yeah doing M+ is literally only worth it for the achievements or the weekly vault. The end of dungeon loot sucks and though they've said they would like to address it, it won't be before the next season at least which is months away.

• Options

If you’re doing little to no m+ and only generally low keys, it’s even slower!

Fair point!

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Honestly, right now the most reliable way to gear up after covenant gear + raid finder weapon at the end is PvP. Either epic battlegrounds for 197 slots not covered by cov gear or Rated Battlegrounds for rating and 200+ gear.

So, if you don't like either of those, well, you are SoL.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Honestly, right now the most reliable way to gear up after covenant gear + raid finder weapon at the end is PvP. Either epic battlegrounds for 197 slots not covered by cov gear or Rated Battlegrounds for rating and 200+ gear.

So, if you don't like either of those, well, you are SoL.

You couldn’t pay me to do pvp

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    PvP is fun! as long as you are playing meta comps, with extremely high versatility, and have already spent 100+ hours PvPing, and have a friend who is as dedicated to PvPing as you, and

• Options
    I came to wow from daoc so the kind of pvp I want doesn’t line up with wow’s smaller scale.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Rhylith I'll join you on the "I need to do some M+ to start catching up with you guys on gear" train.

Also it will help since I think I'm gonna make the covenant switch after work today.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

If you are around when I am, count me in! I can tank or DPS, whatever you need. Characters: Corwind / Graiven / Wavechaser

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Rated BGs are not all that much different than DAOC. They are objective based and don't punish mistakes with an instant loss. They take a LOT of effort to get into a group for though unless you can just get 10 friends to do them.

Which in all honesty, we should really do. A guild weekly RBG night would do wonders for everyones gear. Like imagine if doing an entire raid night guaranteed every person a piece of gear they got to choose. Imagine if "progression" was toward that gear being able to be ilvl213. Just one night a week and you could hit that point in a few weeks. The floor for rating is supposedly 1500 meaning you wont lose it before that.

But yeah, m+ is not for gearing. At least not right now, or on a lower char that could slam through lowish keys quickly for minor upgrades to slots not covered by covenant gear. It is something they absolutely better address in 9.1 though. In my opinion M+ should have the same slow but consistent path to gear as PVP. Even if they need some kind of ranking system similar to PVP that affects the max stuff you can get.

Edit : Just thinking about this I am tempted to try to get some kind of rated BGs thing going. If enough people could be willing to throw themselves at it with no judgement. I mean if we can shamble raids and dungeons, why can't we shamble battlegrounds?

Kai_San on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Rated BGs are not all that much different than DAOC. They are objective based and don't punish mistakes with an instant loss. They take a LOT of effort to get into a group for though unless you can just get 10 friends to do them.

Which in all honesty, we should really do. A guild weekly RBG night would do wonders for everyones gear. Like imagine if doing an entire raid night guaranteed every person a piece of gear they got to choose. Imagine if "progression" was toward that gear being able to be ilvl213. Just one night a week and you could hit that point in a few weeks. The floor for rating is supposedly 1500 meaning you wont lose it before that.

But yeah, m+ is not for gearing. At least not right now, or on a lower char that could slam through lowish keys quickly for minor upgrades to slots not covered by covenant gear. It is something they absolutely better address in 9.1 though. In my opinion M+ should have the same slow but consistent path to gear as PVP. Even if they need some kind of ranking system similar to PVP that affects the max stuff you can get.

Edit : Just thinking about this I am tempted to try to get some kind of rated BGs thing going. If enough people could be willing to throw themselves at it with no judgement. I mean if we can shamble raids and dungeons, why can't we shamble battlegrounds?

They are incredibly different from taking a group of friends out to a keep in the middle of nowhere to cause some chaos and see who shows up.

Arenas are too small scale compared to 8 person groups with multiple healers and classes with a more focused ability set.

Nothing in wow comes close to the scale of keep sieges or border wall standoffs.

Wow does not incentivize proper world pvp (just roaming around in groups picking fights way over your head). There is no darkness falls or relic keep equivalent. It’s just not what I want.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Also I cannot name a single alliance player or guild I’ve run into in wow since the early pvp of vanilla, but enemies from the other realms in daoc are fucking burned in my mind.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I came to wow from daoc so the kind of pvp I want doesn’t line up with wow’s smaller scale.

Give us WoW Thidranki, god dammit! Make a battleground about keep warfare that doesn't make your soul want to leave your body through your pores (I'm talking about Wintergrasp if it wasn't obvious)!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    With all these folks wanting to do M+ keys, I suppose I can dust off my shield and my 1 hander and tank if need be.

Though I think I do really excellent DPS in M+

• Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    If I'm online and have time enough, you have my sword Rhylith.

4FNao2T.png