As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop Games are RADch

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Tube wrote: »
    Alright version 1.0 of spellcasting

1. Player announces their intended effect using the spheres at their disposal. ST confirms whether it is possible.
    2. ST confirms difficulty (number of successes required) and vulgarity. Base is highest sphere used.
    3. Player announces their reaches (extra range, damage, duration or scale). Each adds a temporary Paradox die to the roll.
    4. Player builds their dice pool. This is Arete + Focus Skill (e.g Occult, Technology). If they lack the instruments or time for a focus skill, it's just Arete. Vulgar magic adds 1 temporary paradox dice. Vulgar magic with witnesses adds 2.
    5. Player rolls, including their temporary and permanent Paradox dice. 6 or above is a success,
    6. Player can burn willpower to re-roll 3 non-Paradox dice if they need more successes.
    7. Spell succeeds or fails.

Paradox effects
    1. If a ten is rolled on a Paradox die, add 1 to the Permanent paradox pool.
    2. If a ten is rolled on a Paradox die as part of a crit (2 tens or more) it's a Paradox crit. The ST describes how the spell worked too hard, and the player's permanent Paradox discharges.
    3. If a 1 is rolled on a Paradox die and the total roll fails, the spell fails and Permanent paradox discharges.

Paradox backlash ranges in severity based on the size of your pool. At lower levels it could be willpower or superficial health damage. At medium levels (3 - 7) it's a temporary effect such as a second head, a paradox spirit that fucks with you, or taking damage every time a player at the table swears. At high levels, the effect can be a powerful paradox spirit that attacks you, aggravated health and willpower damage or being shunted into a Paradox dimension.

Tell me what you think, find problems.

You might want to (quietly, separately) track the spheres they use to acquire their paradox, if it's feasible to do so. That would allow you to make the backlash thematic.

Also are you using resonance? (I've been assuming this is Ascension)

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm not using resonance, but I am porting over Wisdom from Awakening as a Humanity type stat. I'm also using Convictions & Touchstones from V5.

The players are starting with six dots in spheres so tracking how they acquire their paradox should be easy. I'm going to have to take a lot of notes generally because one of the players can fucking turn the turn counter back if they want to.

I wish we were in the studio for this because one time based paradox I thought of was to have the player's talkback play their own voice back with a half a second delay, which makes it extremely difficult to concentrate on what you're saying.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Oh, one thing I forgot is that they can use Quintessence (mana) to reduce the difficulty of the spell roll. You only have 3 mana to start with (your arete rating) so it's not trivial to do.

Another thing I'm considering: given that the typical dice pool for a spell is going to be 7 dice, is it too easy?

Tube on
  • Options
    One thing I'm considering: given that the typical dice pool for a spell is going to be 7 dice, is it too easy?

How is the "focus skill" determined?

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    One thing I'm considering: given that the typical dice pool for a spell is going to be 7 dice, is it too easy?

How is the "focus skill" determined?

You select a skill at character creation, which means you're likely to make it your best skill for four dots. For an Ashkayana it might be brawl, for a Virtual Adept it's likely to be technology etc. The idea is that you're taking your mundane skill and infusing it with Arete to make the effect. For a fully improvised Oh Shit spell you can roll your Arete alone which is only 3 dice.

• Options
    Hmmmmm..... On the one hand yeah it'll make some magic easy, but otoh it'll tempt more reaching, which will tempt paradox.

Could just make rotes sphere + skill, with oh shit rolls still being straight Arete.

You could alternatively have a Wisdom-based limit on magic dice pools.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

1. Player announces their intended effect using the spheres at their disposal. ST confirms whether it is possible.
    2. ST confirms difficulty (number of successes required) and vulgarity. Base is highest sphere used.
    3. Player announces their reaches (extra range, damage, duration or scale). Each adds a temporary Paradox die to the roll.
    4. Player builds their dice pool. This is Arete + Focus Skill (e.g Occult, Technology). If they lack the instruments or time for a focus skill, it's just Arete. Vulgar magic adds 1 temporary paradox dice. Vulgar magic with witnesses adds 2.
    5. Player rolls, including their temporary and permanent Paradox dice. 6 or above is a success,
    6. Player can burn willpower to re-roll 3 non-Paradox dice if they need more successes.

Paradox effects
    2. If a ten is rolled on a Paradox die as part of a crit (2 tens or more) it's a Paradox crit. The ST describes how the spell worked too hard, and the player's permanent Paradox discharges.
    3. If a 1 is rolled on a Paradox die and the total roll fails, the spell fails and Permanent paradox discharges.

Paradox backlash ranges in severity based on the size of your pool. At lower levels it could be willpower or superficial health damage. At medium levels (3 - 7) it's a temporary effect such as a second head, a paradox spirit that fucks with you, or taking damage every time a player at the table swears. At high levels, the effect can be a powerful paradox spirit that attacks you, aggravated health and willpower damage or being shunted into a Paradox dimension.

This looks great to me. I really like the inclusion of Paradox dice a la Hunger dice from V5, that's really neat.

Do players get a certain amount of free reach per roll before the Paradox starts racking up?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    I am

100% burned out on RPGs

I really need to do something, either stop running and playing, or find something new

Was there some kind of inciting incident or did you just wake up and realize that your enthusiasm had eroded? Has this happened before?

I think it's just a long burned out feeling, but also now I consider it, I am running a game, and I don't feel like it's settled well. It's also online, which I don't enjoy nearly as much and find quite frustrating; basically I liked RPGs for the sense of fun and banter between friends and that is very much missing from our discord games. I'm also playing a game which feels like it is going way better, and that kind of makes me feel sad about my own game.

I might tell the guys I want to take a break from DMing, and let someone else take over a bit, and see what they say. I am just not loving it right now.

Solar on
  • Options

Paradox effects

This looks great to me. I really like the inclusion of Paradox dice a la Hunger dice from V5, that's really neat.

Do players get a certain amount of free reach per roll before the Paradox starts racking up?

I considered that a lot but decided against it, because I suspect they'll try and play pretty conservatively and I want those paradox dice to be extremely tempting. Arete 3 would give them 3 reaches per cast which is likely enough for them to never have to accumulate paradox.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Has anyone run a game of Lancer?

I'm really wondering how people bounce between the Narrative Play and Mech Combat systems. Seems like it could be very clunky

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular

Paradox effects

I considered that a lot but decided against it, because I suspect they'll try and play pretty conservatively and I want those paradox dice to be extremely tempting. Arete 3 would give them 3 reaches per cast which is likely enough for them to never have to accumulate paradox.

Yeah, if I were gonna do free reach with something like this, I’d probably give them out based on sphere rank versus base effect rank in order to keep Paradox attractive and keep Arete from being too powerful. So if, say, the spell called for Life 2 and the PC has Life 3 they might get 1 free reach.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    It's not clear if Paradox dice straight up add extra dice to the pool, or swap out for non-Pdice, or if it's different rules for Temp vs Perm Paradox dice.

• Options
    It's not clear if Paradox dice straight up add extra dice to the pool, or swap out for non-Pdice, or if it's different rules for Temp vs Perm Paradox dice.

They replace dice in the pool. So if you have a two permanent paradox, three temporary paradox and a dice pool of 7, you roll 5 paradox dice and two regular dice

• Options

They replace dice in the pool. So if you have a two permanent paradox, three temporary paradox and a dice pool of 7, you roll 5 paradox dice and two regular dice

Is there any rule/merit where I get to be the ST's personal punching bag and roll more paradox dice than I have dice in my dice pool? Like, if I'm doing something extremely vulgar, with witnesses, and reaching like hell, can I get that dice pool up to 8 paradox dice and no regular dice?

• Options

Is there any rule/merit where I get to be the ST's personal punching bag and roll more paradox dice than I have dice in my dice pool? Like, if I'm doing something extremely vulgar, with witnesses, and reaching like hell, can I get that dice pool up to 8 paradox dice and no regular dice?

The maximum paradox dice in your pool is always your maximum dice pool, but if you're rolling all paradox dice on an 8 die pool a discharge is going to fuck you up extremely hard and possibly cause your death and possibly erase you from existence.

• Options

The maximum paradox dice in your pool is always your maximum dice pool, but if you're rolling all paradox dice on an 8 die pool a discharge is going to fuck you up extremely hard and possibly cause your death and possibly erase you from existence.

...so what you're saying is it might all work out just fine.

• Options
    ITT: we learn why Tox plays techno-mages; I cannot be given access to unfettered power.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I am

100% burned out on RPGs

I really need to do something, either stop running and playing, or find something new

Was there some kind of inciting incident or did you just wake up and realize that your enthusiasm had eroded? Has this happened before?

I think it's just a long burned out feeling, but also now I consider it, I am running a game, and I don't feel like it's settled well. It's also online, which I don't enjoy nearly as much and find quite frustrating; basically I liked RPGs for the sense of fun and banter between friends and that is very much missing from our discord games. I'm also playing a game which feels like it is going way better, and that kind of makes me feel sad about my own game.

I might tell the guys I want to take a break from DMing, and let someone else take over a bit, and see what they say. I am just not loving it right now.

If you're not enjoying yourself and it's actively making you sad and frustrated, you should absolutely take a break.

The true golden rule of RPGs is that no game is better than a bad game, and a game run by someone who doesn't want to be there is eventually going to turn into a bad game.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Weirdly, Matt Colville just dropped a video about basically that very issue.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting to type up what's been going on in the Aussie forumers online Mage The Awakening campaign, and here I am remembering at 1am right as I am going to bed.

I promise I'll try and do so this weekend! The most recent arc has been really great and is solidifying the PCs together from a loose band who were given a job together to an actual cabal who care about each other and want to work together for a common goal (and also their own personal goals) and I am loving that.

Also @Kincaid nearly died and now has a semi-sentient murder dagger made of obsidian, @Lalabox has discovered that even when they don't get to be a punch mage their spells can prove ridiculously useful (and when they do punch, they're a cruise missile), @Butler broke a very nasty mage's leg so badly that it knocked her right out from shock (think Bethesda game level ragdoll physics on someone's leg), and @Awko is proving to be incredibly lucky not only due to Fate magic but also just me rolling hilariously badly when trying to hit him with stuff behind the scenes and I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THAT

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    IGN has a Tasha's Cauldron of Everything preview up and it has this picture, which I love.

324245_Sam-Keiser-720x465.jpg?fit=bounds&width=640&height=480

Just two buds, having mimic-tea from a mimic-teapot sitting in their mimic-chairs on the mimic-porch, looking at the potted mimics.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    They brutally killed and taxidermied all those poor, innocent mimics.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

No. They're mimics as well

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »

No. They're mimics as well

These two statements are not mutually exclusive.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I don't think you can have traditional fantasy mimics of living creatures, that's like the whole thing with mimics! The ladies are either mimic ranchers or wooden decoy old ladies, which then might be mimics.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Everything in that painting is a mimic including the ground and the artist.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Could be doppelgangers. Disguise type monster solidarity.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Once in D&D3E I built a whole town using every variety of monster that disguises itself as something innocuous, including catacombs below the old church for those critters that were dungeon-exclusive.

The players responded to it by diverting a river and flooding the town.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Doppelgangers with pet mimics would be a great gimmick

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Hey for people interested in Torchbearer I just wrote a very quick home brew: The Harpy Harrier

Again, incredibly homebrew but should be pretty balanced (wings are offset by only leather armour and no magic). It's a stock/class combo about being dirty fantasy couriers/messengers inspired by Pyre and VtM: Night Road.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Doppelgangers with pet mimics would be a great gimmick

mimic gimmick

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just Trappers and Lurkers Above in every building

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Once in D&D3E I built a whole town using every variety of monster that disguises itself as something innocuous, including catacombs below the old church for those critters that were dungeon-exclusive.

The players responded to it by diverting a river and flooding the town.

Ah yes, the medieval equivalent of "nuke it from orbit."

The only sensible choice.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    coatrack of cloakers

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Finished a session earlier and at the end we snuck into some catacombs and there was 12 cultists and two cultist leaders farting around with some big sealed door. So our sorcerer/bard lets loose with a fireball before anyone can say anything, killing 11 of the cultists in a single go. We all roll initiative, and his is highest, so he throws another fireball killing the remaining cultist and nearly killing the two leaders. So I finished one off with my ranger's longbow (she normally closes to melee and uses her dual battle axes), and our monk ran the 120 feet across the room and punched the last one into paste. They never even got a chance to react, just two fireballs thrown into the room, an arrow, and an elephant man exploding the last one with his fists. It was amazing lol

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Paradox effects

If you'd like some Paradox ideas(not that yours aren't great), Intruders: Encounters With The Abyss is a terrifying sandbox of ideas.

qchmioye0dpz.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Darmak wrote: »
    Finished a session earlier and at the end we snuck into some catacombs and there was 12 cultists and two cultist leaders farting around with some big sealed door. So our sorcerer/bard lets loose with a fireball before anyone can say anything, killing 11 of the cultists in a single go. We all roll initiative, and his is highest, so he throws another fireball killing the remaining cultist and nearly killing the two leaders. So I finished one off with my ranger's longbow (she normally closes to melee and uses her dual battle axes), and our monk ran the 120 feet across the room and punched the last one into paste. They never even got a chance to react, just two fireballs thrown into the room, an arrow, and an elephant man exploding the last one with his fists. It was amazing lol

Nice

Meanwhile, i'm having fun thinking up magic items to put in my mega dungeon. I've got one already that's weird and disgusting, and i love it. Spoilers if you're in my mega dugneon
    +1 maul that has the finesse property due it it's bizzarely lightweight nature.. Does 4d4 Force damage instead of the usual 2d6 bludgeoning. A killing blow with it reduces the target to a little eggy sphere thing that can be yeeted at foes as weapon... or eaten for some sort of benefit based on what you killed.

This is going to come from the end of a branch that's all about Moon Rabbits, and thus it's literally a hammer for beating people into medication!

Yes the idea is totally stolen fron Destiny 2's Ruinious Effigy)

There's going to be another that's just going to be a Boltpistol with a chainsaw bayonet on it, becuase i know a few of my mega dungeon players are Warhammer fans, so i think they'll appeicate such

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Dumb concept but:

https://youtu.be/ys0TvL1RiRE

The GM plays a super spy, with traits drafted by alternating between them and the players.

The GM rolls up various super spy plots and traps.

The players play monied or political interests int he spy lending their traits and funding to help overcome obstacles in exchanges for stuff.

The gimmick is just, Jamesbond by via the views of his beneficiaries.

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Paradox effects

If you'd like some Paradox ideas(not that yours aren't great), Intruders: Encounters With The Abyss is a terrifying sandbox of ideas.

qchmioye0dpz.png

Picking this up, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.