Options

[Path of Exile] Sentinel League starts 05/13. Pokebots and uber bosses!

• Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    #Collateral Damage

mg6qogfpu9ch.jpg

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    The things that bother me just never seem to get addressed.

I just turned 39. It hurts my hand to click several hundred times trying to 6-socket and 6 link items. I don’t have the reflexes I did when I was a kid and I’m not a precision clicker. I want to play with friends, but I only have so much time and too many challenges and completion things belong only to the map/instance owner. Atlas feels punishingly grindy.

Those are the things I wish ggg would fix that they just seem to summarily ignore.

That said, I like the flask changes. I like playing traps. This should be a fun league for me

It's difficult to figure out which "unsolved problem" (as defined by you, the person with the problem) is just never going to be fixed because it's part of the design vision, or if it's part of a bigger fix they're implementing later, or if it's a genuine issue but too challenging to solve with a single patch.

My go-to example of "this is never getting the fix you want because it's core to the game" is trade. It's always going to require hoops to jump through because GGG knows how massive the jump from trade as-is to seamless and asynchronous trade would be for power creep. That's something they have decided not to implement. They'll probably try to address some of the more egregious f frustrations surrounding trade eventually but the core feature of trade being time consuming is never going away.

When I read complaints about "grinding" it's kind of tricky to figure out why the word has negative connotations in a game like this. For progression to feel meaningful it needs to take some amount of time and also it needs to involve decision-making on the part of the player.

The "correct" amount of time that progression should take - where it doesn't feel like you just walk into completing the game accidentally, but also doesn't bore you before you achieve your goals - is kind of an unsolvable problem because the answer is different for every player. The only realistic way to handle this is for the developer to just make a system and let players engage with it on their own terms. GGG seems to favor progression systems that involve repetitive completion of a fixed set of content - a grind - which has generally been one of the hallmarks of the ARPG genre.

I'll point out that the most repetitive grind the game previously had (forcing you to complete four acts three times each) is something that was a long standing genre trope which they committed to and invested in moving past; at the time having three difficulties might have seemed like a design choice, while it really was just a change that took a long time to implement. But the endgame is always going to involve grinding, because that's how you can keep players who want to play for thousands of hours engaged and happy. If completing a fixed set of content over and over isn't your thing (or maybe it was once and now isn't) PoE might not be a game you play for more than a couple weeks every few leagues, and that's ok.

The longer-term problem is that if the content you grind through is always the same, the amount of time before it feels boring shortens with each iteration. GGG seems to recognize this because they've implemented new takes on the same core endgame system periodically. Their approach to players getting bored of leveling is to try and make leveling itself more engaging; a cheap alternative which a lot of players ask for and seems definitively off the table is for some way to skip directly to maps.

The second part, about player decision-making making a difference, requires that some choices provide faster progression along a given axis while others have to be slower. If it's impossible to make a "bad" choice then progression is just automatic, you end up completing your goals without feeling like you had any input and it feels less and less like playing a game.

A solution here is to introduce multiple axes of progression, so that a choice that's suboptimal in one way still advances you in another. PoE has this but it's kind of a weird system where a couple of the ways you can progress are mostly or even entirely disconnected from progression in other ways. Delve is the best example; I love playing Delve content but you make zero atlas progression and can't access the majority of the best ways to improve gear while you're down there, making it feel more like side content than alternative progression. Betrayal hooks into gear crafting now which helps a lot, but it's still funky in how using the Syndicate board to access crafting options optimally precludes using it in other ways. Even things like cluster jewels are how they've managed to tie equipment crafting and linear level advancement together in a loose way.

So it's entirely possible that after making a bunch of progress improving your items that you haven't unlocked any extra watchstones for a while or completed any Maven invitations for Atlas passives and you need some Temples for double corrupts but don't have the passives to speed that up and there's just more grind that you didn't want to engage with in the first place preventing you from grinding the way that you did opt in to. It's hard to just focus on doing a single thing for too long.

It doesn't feel like the current system is perfect and exemplifies the way that GGG thinks an ARPG should be, but it's a pretty robust endgame with a ton of content and that's good enough for now. So I suspect we'll continue to see improvements that encourage players to engage with underutilized mechanics. Right now though it's possible that a thing you choose to do stalls your advancement through the endgame, and that's unfortunate.

As for the ergonomic stuff, yeah I feel you. It's a problem GGG inherited without anyone recognizing it was a problem. We're older than we were playing Diablo 2 and its peers and after decades of wear and tear our joints aren't what they used to be. Gamers are starting to be more cognizant of ergonomic problems too. So it's not something GGG caused, but as the standard bearer for the genre they absolutely have a responsibility to address it. I hope the flask changes help people. Personally it isn't my keyboard hand that has started recently having issues so we'll see. Maybe slower movement speed and less of a need to rush to fill up flasks to maintain uptime means I can play a little more deliberately without being punished for it.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    You'll be able to put weapon effects on shields now. Keen.

People are going to go crazy for traps and mines but I worry about the mana costs now that support gems are getting higher multipliers. EB is not a flawless solution.

Absalon on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    That’s the one thing I often see people wanting in POE is D3 like respeccing and I could not disagree more. That kind of insta-spec stuff made decisions weightless and removed any sense of learning the systems to create a build that fits you.

If you like that stuff it’s 100% cool and there’s ARPGs who cater to it. I just don’t think POE in any shape or form is that kind of game.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So how about them traps. Or maybe a shotgun shield build? It reminds me of one of the D3 skills I really liked. I wonder what a build around that would look like.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    That’s the one thing I often see people wanting in POE is D3 like respeccing and I could not disagree more. That kind of insta-spec stuff made decisions weightless and removed any sense of learning the systems to create a build that fits you.

If you like that stuff it’s 100% cool and there’s ARPGs who cater to it. I just don’t think POE in any shape or form is that kind of game.

and yet... POE gets more D3 like..

the New Atlas with it's tedium of set numbers of runs to unlock invitations to unlock awakener levels is actually not all that different from just mindlessly running Neph Rifts/bounties until it's time to try pushing another Greater Rift.

sure there's all these minigames of hiest/delve/syndicate... but really, they're just an illusion, exile ;)
    the progression ramp is becoming nearly identical, only with PoE it's like a shitload more clicking to get thru it all and way more RNG preventing you from seeing "good drops"

i mean, sure, POE gives you many more options to screw up your character and need to reroll.
    I wish ascendencies were just a unified 2nd tree. them being locked to classes doesn't fit with the rest of the game. anyone can use any gem, any piece of gear if they have the stats, path anywhere on the skilltree.... but oh! you gotta lock into one set flavor of ascendency. The Scion's ascends are a weak compromise.

Xantus on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Xantus wrote: »

and yet... POE gets more D3 like..

the New Atlas with it's tedium of set numbers of runs to unlock invitations to unlock awakener levels is actually not all that different from just mindlessly running Neph Rifts/bounties until it's time to try pushing another Greater Rift.

sure there's all these minigames of hiest/delve/syndicate... but really, they're just an illusion, exile ;)
    the progression ramp is becoming nearly identical, only with PoE it's like a shitload more clicking to get thru it all and way more RNG preventing you from seeing "good drops"

i mean, sure, POE gives you many more options to screw up your character and need to reroll.
    I wish ascendencies were just a unified 2nd tree. them being locked to classes doesn't fit with the rest of the game. anyone can use any gem, any piece of gear if they have the stats, path anywhere on the skilltree.... but oh! you gotta lock into one set flavor of ascendency. The Scion's ascends are a weak compromise.

Wat

• Options
  • Options
    Liege of the Primordial: No longer has 25% increased Effect of Buffs granted by Golems, or 25% increased Effect of Buffs granted by your Golems per Summoned Golem. It now has 100% increased Effect of Buffs granted by your Golems.

• Options
    Added 4 new free Coloured Mouse Cursor variations.
    Added Default Mouse Cursor and Cursor Size settings under the UI Options category. Your Default Mouse Cursor will be used in Character select and in-game (if you have a Cursor Microtransaction equipped, this will be used in-game).
    All free Cursor variations are now equipped through the UI Options, instead of the Cosmetics Panel.

Cursor MTX.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    @AresProphet As you noted, there's no real "alternate" progression that doesn't come back to Atlas completion. And Atlas completion requires you to just run an incredible number of maps. Which I wouldn't mind, except that group play for maps is mostly just rewarding for the map owner.

I think that if you look at my list of gripes, they are not so much game balance-related (what's strong, what's weak). Most of them are focused on things that are weirdly physically demanding (clicks to link items) or weaknesses in multiplayer play. The former because it locks me out of enjoying the game, the latter because it makes it hard for me to play with friends. Unlike the other issues people have raised in the thread, both of these categories are things GGG should want to solve. Not getting carpal tunnel from 6 linking lets you play the game more. Making party play rewarding incentivizes you to play more/longer. Playing with groups exposes you to more MTX and increases the likelihood that you'll purchase MTX yourself.

I see these buckets as entirely separate from the buff/nerf cycles of the game. And ideally, they're handled by different development teams than the people responsible for overall game balance.

Pacificstar on
  • Options
    you know for rolling 6L , you can bind mousewheel to left click, just don't scroll too fast or you'll get DC'd

• Options
    you know for rolling 6L , you can bind mousewheel to left click, just don't scroll too fast or you'll get DC'd

*unclicks infinity scroll button*

LEEEEEEEEEEROYYYYYYYYYYYYY

• Options
    Uuuhhhh Shield Charge and SST looking somewhat sickening.

Also I see mana issues for many many builds.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    Uuuhhhh Shield Charge and SST looking somewhat sickening.

Also I see mana issues for many many builds.

yeahh im kinda salty that half of my SSF ultimatum characters and most of my old standard characters will be completely broken in 3.15 and I might as well just delete them instead of playing "fix that character jenga"

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Everything is nerfed but the grind.

• Options
    AresProphet As you noted, there's no real "alternate" progression that doesn't come back to Atlas completion. And Atlas completion requires you to just run an incredible number of maps. Which I wouldn't mind, except that group play for maps is mostly just rewarding for the map owner.

I think that if you look at my list of gripes, they are not so much game balance-related (what's strong, what's weak). Most of them are focused on things that are weirdly physically demanding (clicks to link items) or weaknesses in multiplayer play. The former because it locks me out of enjoying the game, the latter because it makes it hard for me to play with friends. Unlike the other issues people have raised in the thread, both of these categories are things GGG should want to solve. Not getting carpal tunnel from 6 linking lets you play the game more. Making party play rewarding incentivizes you to play more/longer. Playing with groups exposes you to more MTX and increases the likelihood that you'll purchase MTX yourself.

I see these buckets as entirely separate from the buff/nerf cycles of the game. And ideally, they're handled by different development teams than the people responsible for overall game balance.

Ironically, party play (with an aurabot) might be the strongest way to play this patch.

I don't know enough about how map completion etc. gets allocated during party play to comment on that. I do know that ZiggyD has been streaming the last two leagues exclusively as a duo with his partner; maybe he's got a video or two on how that works so I'll check that out. GGG has at least designed recent leagues to be party-friendly so I don't think that aspect goes completely under their radar. I'm sure they're reticent to give party play excessive bonuses to progression that can be exploited, but surely there's a happy medium for players that just want to team up.

I agree that manually linking items is at this point just archaic in design. Most of the 6 links I've used in the last year or so were ones I found/traded for because of how tedious it is. Except Heist league where I had 4 or 5 accidental 6 links from just trying to 5 link things, that one was weird. Anyway I don't know what would keep GGG from introducing some kind of automatic link rolling system, unless it takes way more effort than I imagine it does. They might just think that the bench is good enough, at least as a stopgap until PoE 2 makes fusings obsolete.

It might just be one of those issues they already figure they're solving in the distant future and aren't going to fuss about.

Item pickup is one of the higher-stress activities for my hands so I'm really hopeful they make some big changes before Loot 2.0 is ready and helps clean things up. After playing Last Epoch a bunch I think I'm on board with one-click-many-pickups for stuff like currency shards and splinters and same currency etc. But I don't think they've said much about what they feel is the wrong or right way to address that problem other than that they're aware of it and intend to do something about it before PoE 2.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    oh my god.. the patch notes..

"of staunching" flask now only grants 1 second of immunity to corrupted blood if used while affected by corrupted blood.

welp, guess it's back to old school POE and just dying to corrupted blood ;p

Trap league for sure ...

Xantus on
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

"of staunching" flask now only grants 1 second of immunity to corrupted blood if used while affected by corrupted blood.

Trap league for sure ...

Ever since I discovered them I've made sure to run a gem with the corruption that "you cannot be affected by corrupting blood" on every character.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    those gems are gonna skyrocket in price, lol.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Hypothermia Support no longer increases effect of chill, no longer increases cold damage over time nor does it effect cold damage over time spells at all

Didn't see that one coming

• Options

Trap league for sure ...

Soul of Ralakesh caps corrupted blood out to 5 debuffs, which isn't exactly worldending amounts.

Until you can get a jewel with it as a corruption.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I thought it was the upgraded ralakesh

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    For clicking reductions, I unironically recommend making your loot filter more strict. Be absolutely brutal with what you're willing to pick up, and trade for what you actually need. The time needed to "process" a drop is much longer than you might think, (you see the item, walk to the item to pick it up, put it in your stash tab, list it for sale, then do a trade with it) and that's time you could spend killing more monsters and hoping for a good drop.

There's also farming strategies that pick up much fewer items. I like Alva temples: You run through a few maps, create a temple chronicle, then sell it to crafters for an ass-load of currency. (Seriously; a T3 corruption room is going for 4ex right now on standard.) Now that you can convert temples into items, there's no screwing around with crafting or trading access to crafting benches or anything like that. Just trading a single item.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »

Not really a big deal

Can be done on white maps pretty quickly

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

Not really a big deal

There's plenty of leagues where I burn out before I get a lantern to drop so it's kind of an important distinction for me.

Carpy on
  • Options
    hushhush Registered User regular

Not really a big deal

until they move the map to a natty 16 in the atlas shuffle - haha

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    jokes on u lot they made my content more engaging

act 1 kings unite

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    1zrekbkpparv.png

o hell yea

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    there some spicy meatballs in here

xhcu4nccqqm1.png

(also for some reason hypothermia doesnt work for cold dot at all any more which is a weird choice)

d0mpxrhfhwgk.png

also this is huge

p3gvmt5uw7em.png

lol
    cdg7k7i2q1sd.png

also quicksilvers being 30/60 instead of 20/50 and stibnites being fucking 40/60 instead of 10/30 thats SPICY

2biyt8qo72oc.png

hit that with the high flask effect press it and die... but get all ur charges? thonking

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    So what do people think is gonna be the coolest way to play with the new hammerdin skill?

Or more specifically, whats a build that I, an idiot child who usually only makes it to yellow maps, could put together that focuses on spectral helix and will look cool while it kills stuff?

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    So what do people think is gonna be the coolest way to play with the new hammerdin skill?

Or more specifically, whats a build that I, an idiot child who usually only makes it to yellow maps, could put together that focuses on spectral helix and will look cool while it kills stuff?

Biggest issue I see with that skill is you need to get close to the enemy, cast it, then wait for it to kill them. That means you need serious defenses, and most stuff just got nerfed. So...max block, life on hit? That appears unnerfed.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    this is cute.

https://pickerwheel.com/?id=Bq35u

the wheel has chosen.. a Manabond Heirophant. oh joy!

Xantus on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I was going to do VD spell slinger but since triggered spells got nerfed to ridiculous proportions I will probably just try to make one of the many d2 cross overs work. Probably hammerdin.

• Options
    this is cute.

It gave me Forbidden Rite Occultist

get out of my head

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    mana problems?

just use blood magic ez

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    this is cute.

It gave me Forbidden Rite Occultist

get out of my head

Did for me, too.

I think I’m going some flavor of shield crush/charge and explosive concoction, but I definitely don’t know the specifics until I get a chance to POB.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Wheel gave me Ambush or Shield Crush. I feel like shield crush is probably the safer option.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    u can do ambush and shield crush

its melee tagged

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I almost hope Reaper is bugged on launch and consumes you and your party members.