As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New [movie] thread, same as the old one. New Bill and Ted, out soon!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Nicolas Winding Refn made one accidentally acces
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Stephen King novels are often dumber than you remember

Except the one with the ass weasels that one is as dumb as you remember

which one is that

Dreamcatcher. Also contains “I Dudditz” the catch phrase of a mentally challenged man who is actually an alien

The book is also a sequel to “The Tommyknockers”, which King does not remember writing in the 80s because he was on all the drugs.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    The man doesn't remember writing entire books, I think he's not vanilla

Per Wiki as of 2019
    He has published 61 novels, including seven under the pen name Richard Bachman, and six non-fiction books.[3] He has written approximately 200 short stories, most of which have been published in book collections.[4][5]

There's another short story collection (4 stories) that came out a few months ago and a 5th that was published in a magazine a month before that

I'd forget some stuff too even without drugs at that pace

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Just because you love meth doesnt mean you eat ass lots of people love meth Hitler loved meth

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yeah, IMO, when it comes to forgetting stuff he's done, what he's into sexually matters much less than having been on all the drugs at the time.

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    Just because you love meth doesnt mean you eat ass lots of people love meth Hitler loved meth

are you implying that hitler didn't eat ass?

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    By all accounts no Hitler did not eat actual ass.

Hitler ate figurative ass, yes. But honest to god, butt-ass? Unlikely.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Hitler did not eat ass but he was into being defecated on.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

That's because meth was legal, so it wasn't cool

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »

That's because meth was legal, so it wasn't cool

meth was required

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Petesalzl wrote: »

are you implying that hitler didn't eat ass?

Yeah

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    everyone seems so certain that he didn't eat ass, now im concerned as to what historical documentation is available as reference

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    It was apparently widely known that ole Adolf showed 0 interest in the ladies. He was married to Eva but, and I could be remembering this wrong, I don't think they even shared the same quarters in their shitty little bunker except for maybe one occasion right after they got married or right before he shot himself.

This was attributed to him channeling all his zeal and passion into Germany leaving none for the bonin' and definitely not to his horrendous halitosis or myriad meth related illnesses.

Edit: or at the very least he seemed to be bore and a consummate prude.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    He was very interested in his niece. Wouldn't let her date anyone kept her close and she eventually killed herself.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Let's move on to less awkward subjects, like how Matthew McConaughey's mom was so proud of her husband's dick that after he died during sex she insisted that he be carried out of the house naked so that all could look on it, and despair.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Let's move on to less awkward subjects, like how Matthew McConaughey's mom was so proud of her husband's dick that after he died during sex she insisted that he be carried out of the house naked so that all could look on it, and despair.

you could tell me this was something from the prose edda, and I would 100% buy it

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I have often insisted that I have an open casket funeral, and that I be displayed naked from the waist down, "So that people can see what all the fuss was about."

I feel like I have been cheated and/or robbed, even though Jim McConaughey (to the best of my knowedge) died before me

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

How did you guys not know about this, he keeps bringing it up in those Lincoln commercials... The sponsor has asked him not to, but he ignores their wishes and continues talking about his Dad's gift.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I could easily see a headline star equate "I can't sit in my marked chair" with "no chairs".

I think I've heard something about big stars being a bit self centered and out of touch.

Maybe but this is what she said
    Chris also doesn’t allow chairs. I worked with him twice. He doesn’t allow chairs, and his reasoning is, if you have chairs, people will sit, and if they’re sitting, they’re not working

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I finally watched Knives Out

What a fun movie!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Other Notes:

I want Chris Evans' sweater
    Daniel Craig as Hercule Poirot is amazing casting

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »
    i do not think i had a read on what gerald's game was at all
    It’s a pretty cute movie

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kweN7VLx-JE
    That short makes some weird mistakes for Pixar - including:
    • White refusing to take undefended pieces from Black (which, okay, the whole thing is a Bit so maybe acceptable from the premise),
    • White's third move apparently being moving his bishop directly forward 2 rows (a later shot shows it correctly diagonally in front of the king, but that's clearly not the move made in the earlier animation which shows the bishop moved in front of the pawn rank),
    • When White has 2 pieces remaining and retreats the king to the back row the White queen is shown on the second row, but when queen x queen on the next turn the Black queen is shown on the third row,
    • And the box of pieces being missing entirely at the end (it was knocked off the table when White rotated the board, but it's nowhere to be seen anywhere in the wide shot).
    Clearly there are dark and malign supernatural forces at work here! Pennywise or vampires - who can say?

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

Did she really marry him three times?

Or were people confused because instead of saying “I do,” he said “Alright, alright, alright!”?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Someone on twitter just said "oh man real life is so stressful right now I'm not getting any of the usual catharsis out of watching horror movies"
    is that
    is that why people like horror movies? Are they cathartic?

(I find them incredibly stressful and even moderately well-executed horror will usually give me some level of anxiety for at least a few days, so I guess I just thought people liked feeling shitty? Like, I appreciate the craft, so I'll still watch them if other people want to, but I have to work myself up to it and I couldn't do more than one in a week).

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Someone on twitter just said "oh man real life is so stressful right now I'm not getting any of the usual catharsis out of watching horror movies"
    is that

(I find them incredibly stressful and even moderately well-executed horror will usually give me some level of anxiety for at least a few days, so I guess I just thought people liked feeling shitty? Like, I appreciate the craft, so I'll still watch them if other people want to, but I have to work myself up to it and I couldn't do more than one in a week).

It's kind of like a roller coaster? It gets your heart beat up, and you feel tense, then when the movie is over, you can hopefully release that tension and feel relief. This works less well if you haven't felt significant relief since... March now. I have Hereditary on loan from my library, so maybe after this weekend I'll be able to report if my enjoyment of horror movies has changed at all.

• Options
    hmm. I guess I get the tension but not the release, generally. I just watched horrible things happen to people for up to two hours! I'm gonna need a long time to process that and return to baseline.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/talking-about-trauma/202004/horror-films-may-reduce-anxiety-some-individuals

"The article noted the brain’s limbic system has a primary role in responding to anxiety-arousing scenes in movies as if these negative emotional experiences were real. When watching a horror movie, the amygdala detects emotions of fear and prepares us for frightening events, while our conscious perception recognizes that these alarming events are not real. This implies that we can vicariously experience negative emotions in a controlled environment which may be useful for managing anxiety.

Some researchers have supported this concept and have suggested that watching scary movies may act as a form of exposure for individuals with anxiety. Anxiety-related disorders affect approximately 18% of the population and some of the predominant symptoms include excessive worrying, apprehensive expectations, and restlessness. It is possible that while an individual is viewing a scary film, their anxiety-related symptoms are temporarily suspended."

I've found this to be true for myself for quite a while now. Particularly in recent weeks - the only things I can sit through to watch right now are feel-good comedies or horror movies. They both help relieve my anxiety for a little bit, albeit in very different ways.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    is that

Oh gosh, I've literally just discovered this not long ago too. Reply All's Alex Goldman and a guest briefly went in on it recently on his other horror movie podcast, Scaredy Cats Horror Show, and it's kinda fascinating. Some folks literally watch horror movies to fall asleep. There's some kind of escapism there that triggers a sense of safety or something.

And, like, I kiiiinda get it? But it would absolutely not work for me in the slightest.

• Options
    brains (and limbic systems, and glands, and everything) are, just, fucking weird.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    personally I consider a horror movie that makes sleep extremely difficult for me a rousing success

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I watch horror movies to get right fucked up

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Just watched Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood with my parents, and despite it being a bloated movie they managed to stay up til midnight and watch the whole thing. My mom who actively refuses to watch movies at any sight of violence or gore was actively cheering on Cliff Booth
    murdering the fuck out of the hippies

So, new movie experiences with the parents.

Good job Quintin, you weird, creepy bastard.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    is that

I don’t watch horror movies because I stay terrified for a week because I cannot shut my brain up.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    is that

Catharsis isn’t always relief, but just some kind emotional release. So the point of Greek tragedies was catharsis, but there’s not really a relief at the end in the sense of “good ending and now I’m at peace.” It’s catharsis more in the build of tension and sorrow that ends in a release of “damn, that sucks. Sucks to be that guy.” And of course, like everything else, on some level what triggers catharsis is somewhat subjective. But i do think that it’s easy to conflate emotional release and relief because the latter is always the former but the former isn’t always the latter. Sometimes it’s vicariously experiencing anxiety and fear, knowing that it sucks to be that guy and that guy isn’t you. Which also explains why right now it wouldn’t work so well, since it sucks to be all of us.

It’s kind of like how some people get a catharsis from having a flat-out yelling fight, even if it ends in impasse.

Weirdly, the idea of catharsis has come up several times today, so i guess that’s what i’m going to lay here and ponder instead of sleeping.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I've fallen asleep while watching scary movies.

Because I'm big and brave and I'm not afraid of ghouls and goblins.

And because the emotional reactions I have to media are limited to an occasional snort when something is funny or getting a little choked up when the power of friendship wins over all in anime.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I saw Cube nearly twenty years ago and I can still keep myself up at night if I think on it too hard.

tynic on
  • Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I've fallen asleep while watching scary movies.

Because I'm big and brave and I'm not afraid of ghouls and goblins.

And because the emotional reactions I have to media are limited to an occasional snort when something is funny or getting a little choked up when the power of friendship wins over all in anime.

In fairness, those are two pretty good reactions.

• Options
    I saw Cube nearly twenty years ago and I can still keep myself up at night if I think on it too hard.

I just read the synopsis and I am impressed that they nailed the characterization of the cop so perfectly.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i caught the opening scenes of the Mummy on a television in an electronics store back when I was 7 or 8 and it scarred me for a real long time

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Quarantine has made of us animals

Quaratine made nothing. It only revealed what was already there.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I have often insisted that I have an open casket funeral, and that I be displayed naked from the waist down, "So that people can see what all the fuss was about."

I feel like I have been cheated and/or robbed, even though Jim McConaughey (to the best of my knowedge) died before me

It's been over 10 hours, and nobody has done it?

Okay then...

*ahem*

Are you also going to have magnifying glasses handed out at your funeral, too?

lmao get rekt scrubl0rd

This discussion has been closed.