As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New [movie] thread, same as the old one. New Bill and Ted, out soon!

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The Color Out of Space is my second favorite movie about mystical color taking over a town after Pleasantville

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Good on Fisher for speaking out, dude's career isn't exactly huge so he is taking a big risk

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Stephen King novels are often dumber than you remember

Except the one with the ass weasels that one is as dumb as you remember

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    i do not think i had a read on what gerald's game was at all
    It’s a pretty cute movie

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kweN7VLx-JE

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    When I'm 90 I'm absolutely gonna start doing a bit where I pretend to just fuckin' love Kangaroo Jack or something

Yeah, sure

A "bit"

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Britt Hayes, a good film journalist (formerly from ScreenCrush), retired from the industry due to all the gross and disheartening things she experienced. Lengthy/free read

She'd previously accused Harry Knowles during #MeToo
    Harry Knowles, a well-known movie blogger and epic piece of shit, sexually harassed me and I never spoke up about it publicly until #MeToo, when his harassment and abuse of other women became public. I told friends and peers privately, and some of them continued to associate with him. I should've done more. I just didn't want to be seen as That Girl. When I did finally speak up, and Harry's mountain of unearned, entitled bullshit finally started to crumble, his membership in the Austin Film Critics Association—of which I am also a member—came into question. In an email thread, other members—including women—questioned whether his membership should be revoked based on the allegations of sexual harassment and assault. At this point, my allegation was already public and well-documented online in various outlets and trades. Some wondered about the lack of due process, or if a film critic should be ousted professionally for things he did privately—as if abusing your (again, unearned) position of power to harass and assault women has nothing to do with the very power you were leveraging.

I could see all of these replies. People cannot fucking resist a "reply all" button. My fellow professional peers, in an organization I had revered and felt grateful to be a part of, were questioning my credibility and signaling that they did not respect me on a personal or professional level.

Harry's stupid website still exists and he still writes about movies. He just can't get free DVDs in the mail during awards season anymore. Devastating, truly.
    Last week, a peer and former coworker (we'll call him A) publicly called out another peer and former coworker (we'll call him B) for "shitty" behavior that allegedly took place many years ago, when we all worked together. He alluded to abusive private exchanges—empowered, I guess, by other peers coming forward to oust toxic work environments. Also it's really easy to "cancel" people on Twitter these days (please note: I do not confuse what we call "cancel culture" with holding people accountable, as the former tends to happen in a social media microcosm and undermines/distracts from the legitimacy of the latter). Having actually witnessed B's so-called "shitty" behavior to A, and having listened to A vent at length about B, I knew for a fact that the only thing B was guilty of in this instance was sending dispassionate emails.

That's it. That was the extent of the "abuse." I pulled up our old chat transcripts to see if I had missed or forgotten something. I hadn't. A's only grievance was that B was never friendly.

If you are a white man and your most upsetting professional experience is another white man sending you unfriendly emails, I envy the privilege to which you are clearly oblivious. I envy your regular paycheck and reliable employment, especially during a pandemic. I envy your ability to get other white men to publicly apologize to you for hurting your feelings (and allowing your feelings to be hurt) via emails that contained not one (1) happy face emoji or exclamation point. As women we're taught to be so grateful and empathetic and permissive. When one of my rapists reached out to apologize via email, I felt I had no choice but to absolve him—I should be appreciative that at least one of these assholes apologized, right? Some women don't get an apology at all.
    There's a movie scene I think about all the time. It's during the third act of Almost Famous. Kate Hudson is Penny Lane, a self-described "band aid" whose devotion to and love of a rock band extends far beyond the reductive and superficial label of "fan." Throughout the film, Penny commits so much of her time, love, and emotional labor to this band—and in particular the lead singer, who will never care for her the way she cares for him. (He is the proto-Soft Boy.) Her love is one-sided, and it doesn't matter what she says or does or gives up; that love will never be returned.

Penny has to part ways with the band because the lead singer's girlfriend is joining the tour at the next stop. But during a poker game, Penny and her band-aid friends are callously gambled away to another band. Aspiring rock journalist William (Patrick Fugit) finds Penny and, while trying to explain that she deserves so much more than the way she's been treated, reveals that she was gambled off in a bet along with a case of beer—proof of how little she means to this band. Tears slowly stream down her cheeks. Her impossibly resilient exterior finally cracks. But instead of giving in to this heartbreak, Penny carefully wipes the tears from under her eyes and, in one seemingly fluid motion, tosses her hair back, turns her face toward the sunlight, gives a little shrug, and smiles. "What kind of beer?" she asks.

I've rarely related to a single cinematic moment so deeply.

I'm glad she's getting away from all this and I'm happy she's going back to school in pursuit of something else she's passionate about

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

I'm not the best at reading people, but it really seems like you can tell he's lying in that video, and not happy about it

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The fuck is that screen cap there.

good morning, mister freeman

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I feel like we all found out Joss Whedon was a piece of shit before but he South Park "I'm sorry'd" and I guess we forgot about it? I don't even remember what he did. Theres just been so many pieces of shit.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I don't think people forgot he just hasn't done anything since being outed that people cared about.

Justice League may have been around that time. You'd think he'd be on his best behavior to get some support, but I guess not.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    https://youtu.be/RdvwoIFAegg

This video of Carl Reiner on Conan is just spectacular.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That does seem less bad.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

I don’t see how Hathaway could have confused one for the other. She was very specific.
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I feel like we all found out Joss Whedon was a piece of shit before but he South Park "I'm sorry'd" and I guess we forgot about it? I don't even remember what he did. Theres just been so many pieces of shit.

During his divorce his wife accused him of using his power to take advantage of him sexually. So far none of the women have actually spoken up. That is as far as I know all we had heard. I would very much like to hear this justice league thing elaborated upon.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I could easily see a headline star equate "I can't sit in my marked chair" with "no chairs".

I think I've heard something about big stars being a bit self centered and out of touch.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I could easily see a headline star equate "I can't sit in my marked chair" with "no chairs".

I think I've heard something about big stars being a bit self centered and out of touch.

hmm now I've heard that celebs, they're just like us

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

hmm now I've heard that celebs, they're just like us

I'd need to see some sort of evidence. Something solid, like a picture of Katherine Heigl buying a potato.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    potatoes are the most plebeian of tubers.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

which one is that

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

which one is that

Dreamcatcher. Also contains “I Dudditz” the catch phrase of a mentally challenged man who is actually an alien

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

which one is that

Dreamcatcher. Also contains “I Dudditz” the catch phrase of a mentally challenged man who is actually an alien

spoilers!

are the ass weasels also aliens

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    The ass weasels are aliens which grow into bigger aliens once they burst out your ass, referred to in the text as like that movie Alien but through the ass because Stephen King saw Alien and thought "what if they went out through your ass" then he wrote a book and did a movie and made a million bazillion dollars

• Options
    The ass weasels are aliens which grow into bigger aliens once they burst out your ass, referred to in the text as like that movie Alien but through the ass because Stephen King saw Alien and thought "what if they went out through your ass" then he wrote a book and did a movie and made a million bazillion dollars

Jason lees character is addicted to chewing toothpicks. At one point he is sitting on a toilet lid with a newly hatched ass weasel and he drops his toothpick and because he’s so addicted to chewing toothpicks he leaves the toilet lid and gets his hand bitten off and dies

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Don't forget how much he loves zippers on his jacket.

• Options
    Before the weasel bursts out of your ass it is preceded by a lengthy period of intense window rattling flatulence, insane cartoonish tuba blast farts

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Jason lees character is addicted to chewing toothpicks. At one point he is sitting on a toilet lid with a newly hatched ass weasel and he drops his toothpick and because he’s so addicted to chewing toothpicks he leaves the toilet lid and gets his hand bitten off and dies

his last thoughts in the book are "mama always said toothpicks would kill me one day"

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

which one is that

In the book he's not an alien, just has some variance of the shining.

The entire book is a huge mess but thematically its about how we perceive threats and how we react to them once they manifest.

IIRC, in the book the aliens aren't intelligent at all, just a fungus looking for a host, but Jonsey's experience with aliens in pop culture manifested the threat (they're all psychically linked to Duddits which has given them all limited psychic abilities as well).

I remember being largely off put by the mind library when I read it (where Jonesy's consciousness retreats after his mind is taken over by the fungus, made accessible only by the fact that Jonsey spent like six months in a coma after being run down by a van, supposedly caused by a psychic vision of Duddits)

Theres... a lot to unpack there as a metaphor for his recovery after being hit.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Do the butt weasels talk

• Options
    Do the butt weasels talk

They do not

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Do the butt weasels talk

They do not

Then they should remake it, but let the butt weasels talk. And then cast Jim Caviezel

And then you'll have Jim Caviezel, Anal Weasel, and that'll be fun for the whole family

• Options
    Y’all figure Stephen king eats ass?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Y’all figure Stephen king eats ass?

Nothing but.

• Options
    Quarantine has made of us animals

• Options
    Do the butt weasels talk

They do not

Then they should remake it, but let the butt weasels talk. And then cast Jim Caviezel

And then you'll have Jim Caviezel, Anal Weasel, and that'll be fun for the whole family

Your wife is a mensch

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Pretty wild how Stephen King's book On Writing is just a few pages with, "I dunno, man. Just write whatever. Write whatever, but do it often."

• Options
    Stephen King in no way eats ass Stephen King is scared of dildos

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Quarantine has made of us animals

Anal moles?

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    Do the butt weasels talk

They do not

without any irony, the jim caviezel count de monte cristo is one of my favorite movies. i would 100% watch jim caviezel, anal weasel.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The man doesn't remember writing entire books, I think he's not vanilla

This discussion has been closed.